NavelColt

55 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

yeah.... its a pretty obvious thing that dragon don't have some kind of code so i am guessing Spike just made it up so set him apart and maybe to avoid being the kind of dragon he was in secret of my excess.

think of it this way Spike is a Civalized dragon born among ponies and close to  Celestia and twilight  both can be classed as Nobility.... Spike is also the hero who saved the crystal empire (see were i'm going with this )

all in all before i go on one of my made rants, look at Spikes background and you'll understand the point of 'his' dragon code and how he could have conceived it 

• Brohoof 1

This episode was... okay.

I really disliked Spike being portrayed as a klutz when he has been established as extremely capable before (plus, we know that he is a competent baker from "Owl's Well"). And him being oblivious to the messes he's causing, seriously? Is this freaking Spongebob? And him abandoning Twilight to serve Applejack "forever", are you kidding me? :angry:

Now what saves this episode for me is the Mane Six interacting: Rarity grooving on the idea of having a servant, Rainbow's novel, the freaking mustache... This is why I love this show. :)

Timberwolf animation is a bit at odds with the shows style but it does look nice and is a good choice for this type of creature. Love the additional lore of them being forest spirit thingies.

Like I said not a bad episode, but could have been a hundred times better with Spike not acting like an idiot.

Also hoping we get some clarification on whether Rainbow is becoming a Wonderbolt or not soon.

Edited by Silverwisp the Bard
  • Brohoof 7

Yeah, I didn't find this episode all that entertaining and now that you mention it, why hasn't this Dragon Code been bought up earlier? I still enjoyed Pinkie Pie's randomness and comic relief along with the staged timberwolf attack. When I saw the Timberwolf choking I thought, "Man, someone should give him the Heimlich maneuver". It was an alright episode in my book. 

• Brohoof 1

Polsky and Williams doing the same episode? That's a pretty dangerous combo.

Regardless, much like the jump from Mare-Do-Well to Wonderbolt Academy for Rainbow Dash, this episode was also a huge improvement over William's last Spike episode Dragon Quest, on top of also being a solid Applejack episode as well.

What I liked:

-All the characters(save for Pinkie Pie) were very well written despite a few hiccups, and had some of my favorite character interactions in the series

-Spike interacting with someone other than Rarity or Twilight, that alone deserves some points

-Rarity teaching Applejack how to be a damsel in distress

-Rainbow Dash's novel bit, self insert fanfiction ftw!

-The animation was some of the best. High quality animation seems to be a common trend in Merriwether Williams episodes

-Rainbow Dash used Rock Smash! It's super effective!

-Spike's dedication to his code

-The fact that Spike could tell the fake Timberwolf

-Ending was adorable

-Episode was cliche, but it didn't stop it from being fun

What I didn't like:

-Spike suddenly being clumsy, though he has been known to screw up in the past, it felt too much here

-Pinkie Pie felt like she was only there for the sake of comic relief, and felt unecessary

-It wasn't very memorable compared to the other episodes

Despite the minor nitpicks, I still loved it, and if Merriwether keeps this up she could soon become my favorite writer

Score:8/10

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 3

Things I liked

The episode was good. I thought the 3d effect on the timberwolves kinda made them stick out more. Like they shouldn't be there. It makes them feel more 'Unnatural'.

Pinkie Pie finally acted 'normal', But then again what is to be considered normal for her.

Rainbow dash is the first canon fanfic writer! That made my day.

Gripes

There needs to be A Fluttershy Episode and a Rarity episode. at some point this season.

The plot of the episode was kind of cliché. But they made it work.

• Brohoof 1

Well, im guessing that his dragon-code was real, except that he wanted it to be more official (by drawing it on a piece of paper).

Either way, the drawing is awesome so I guess it works :P

Edited by Limewire

I could say he created as a moral thing, like a new years resolution of some sort without the new year.  Just something he's sworn to follow.  Now it's apparent he created it, but maybe it's just a moral challenge he created sometime after the Crystal Empire.  

• Brohoof 3

I came into this episode with low expectations hoping to be surprised, but unfortunately that didn't happen.

Spike looked like a total klutz when he was doing Applejack's chores even though he can do Twilight's chores with much less clumsiness. I know their chores are different, but it just seemed ridiculous if you ask me. And I don't like how the Noble Dragon Code came out of nowhere.

Ah well. I'm sure the shippers got a good kick out of this episode. And Applejack proved she's badass (and sexy).

img-1035731-1-316.gif

Edited by Kenny
  • Brohoof 7

The dragon code is more of a hardened sense of apreciation, to the point where spike felt the need to serve AJ eternally XP ridiculous. I dont like the idea. It does not seem right for all dragons to have such a code (this is shown through twilights informed knowledge of it), perhaps the code is different for all dragons?

• Brohoof 1

I haven't seen the episode yet, but from what I've heard, Applejack saves Spike or something and he devotes his life to pay her back. Hasn't Spike been saved by other characters before? What about when Twilight saved him form that dragon in the cave? I know he's her assistant, but they never even mentioned it again.

• Brohoof 3

I will not allow more claims against the honor and pride of the dragon kind. Sure almost all of the dragons are foul beasts driven by empty desires who just greed for money, females and pleasure but the old ways are still there and that little purple chubby dood prove it.

Stop the claims and let him stay worthy, if he has his own dragon code just let him, maybe is one of those things that keep him away from turning into a vile creature.

DRAGON POWA

• Brohoof 2

TRU DAT YO

Why didn't he kiss Dash's ass all day long for saving him *and Rarity too*

(And also, WTF is up with Rarity with her pro-slavery shit after AJ comes over to bring her Spike's pie?)

Not to mention Fluttershy who saved him with RD from falling to his death with Rarity. I suppose it's something he made up afterwards so he didn't owe them since it didn't exists then. I don't know why everyone is bashing on the little guy.....he's just trying to embrace his dragon heritage.

Edited by ~Chaotic Harmony~
  • Brohoof 1

Well, I like the idea of spike setting a quasi chivalrous code for himself: Like Twilight and Rarity, he seems to get a lot of his ideals from books and stories (see "Dog and Pony Show"). And after seeing how other dragons act in "Dragonquest", it would make sense, that he would set himself a code to prevent himself from ever becoming like them.

That being said, it was horribly executed.

• Brohoof 3

Not to mention Fluttershy who saved him with RD from falling to his death with Rarity. I suppose it's something he made up afterwards so he didn't owe them since it didn't exists then. I don't know why everyone is bashing on the little guy.....he's just trying to embrace his dragon heritage.

Haha. Ex post facto pony law.

I understand some defending him wanting to be better than the average dragon. I get that. Yet this episode has shown that his own made up "Dragon Code" is a horrible idea. He was just fine without it as seen with Season 1 and Season 2. Hell, he saved the Crystal Empire without it!

• Brohoof 1

And the downward spiral of season 3 continues... Even I'M starting to believe this season is just fanservicing without a single original idea. 

Now that's a bit harsh isn't it? The Crystal Empire episodes were great, "Magic Duel" was excellent. As a matter of fact, I can't think of any episode that was really bad ("reunion" and "Wonderbolt Academy" being kinda meh).

Care to elaborate?

• Brohoof 2

Wow, this was a very good episode! Spike is such an awesome character, and here he was at his very best- well, except when doing chores, which I thought was odd since you'd think he be good at most chores what with serving Twilight all the time. That's the only real knock I can give the episode though, because overall it was very entertaining, and all the Mane Six got screen time for once, so no one can complain there. Plus, Pinkie finally wore her mustache, which I was 'eagerly anticipating' for some reason, lol. Probably my second favorite episode of season 3 behind Magic Duel, all the right notes were hit for me here. :)

• Brohoof 2

OK, after going through all of the previous posts and thinking more about this episode, I will concede that, as far as continuity goes, the whole "Noble Dragon Code" thing was very problematic and poorly explained.  However, I still stand by all the other praise I have for this episode, which I went into detail about in my last post above.  Overall, I still liked this episode a whole lot!!!  Really excellently done all around!!!  :D

• Brohoof 1

That was a good episode, and I don't even like Spike. It was so in character, and seemed so realistic. I loved the episode, I loved how they did the Timberwolves, and I loved how in character they made all the ponies.

By the way guys, I'm going to wear this moustache. Best line ever! I think I am remembering why Pinkie was my favourite of the main 6.

I am almost disappointed in the planning of this episode. Completely cliche, no originality to be seen, and a terribly convenient plot device.     

For the first time I am not amused...

• Brohoof 3

Well, as I conceded in the episode thread, the Dragon Code is quite problematic continuity-wise and was very poorly explained.  I could not figure out for the life of me if Spike made it up, or if it was instinctual, or if older dragons at that dragon-shindig in "Dragon Quest" told him about it!  However, that said, I did find his clumsiness defensible.  Yeah, it was surprising, and sometimes he was just being spastic it seemed, BUT hear me out.  First, Spike doesn't normally do farm work, he does quieter, simpler, and somewhat less laborious work like cleaning and organizing Twilight's tree house.  Second, Spike's a baby dragon still, and as such, he doesn't always think things through carefully, especially when he sets his sights on doing something; we all know what kids are like at that age.  Heck, the same thing happened in "Secret of my Excess," Spike just got really, really carried away doing something he wasn't accustomed to.  Now, I will say the one thing that I found to be really ridiculous was when he couldn't even clean a dish or put it away properly at Rarity's and bucked up the plumbing, but still, I do honestly think that it wasn't too much of a stretch that Spike wouldn't be good at farm work, even if, again, he was a bit too spastic at times even for him. 

Edited by Batbrony