NavelColt

55 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I for one am in agreement with the people who disliked this episode. I was fine with the Crystal Empire two-parter because it brought back both Luna and Cadence (and gave Cadence her own kingdom to rule (supposedly)). I was fine with the Apple Family Reunion because it gave us some more backstory about the Apple family (and the CMC is going national. That, I thought, was sweeter than apple pie, as it were). But Spike at your service was the first episode of season three that actually made me upset.

Many of the things I found annoying about it have already been addressed in detail by other bronies so I won’t get into them too much. I’ll just rattle my complaints off, bullet point style:

One; the plot was as tired and used as a sleep deprived broom in a sawdust factory.

Two; Spike was completely out of character. He’s basically the assistant of royalty. He should know how to cook! We’ve seen how single-minded and spacey Twilight can be. If Spike didn’t know how to cook for her and make her stop to eat now and then she would have starved to death long ago.

Three; 3D timberwolves... what the Hell guys!? This is a two dimensional T.V. show with an established animation style! If you want to add 3D, at least try to make it blend well with the rest of the show. When I first saw the timberwolves in this episode I thought someone had just spliced in some scenes from a crummy anime. Don’t turn into a crummy anime My Little Pony! What really got me on this point was I liked the old depiction of the timberwolves and was excited to see them again when I heard they’d be in this episode. I thought they were detailed and scary and pretty awesome all around. Then I got... these... things.

And that’s all I’m going to complain about for now. One little thing I noticed about Spike that seemed ironic and made me giggle was that he is the most chivalrous and knightly of all the characters. He rode on his mighty steed (a perturbed Twilight) to save Rarity from diamond dogs. He treats Rarity and everyone else with the utmost respect. And now with his code he is almost as honorable and honest as Applejack. I personally find it funny that the most knight-like character in the show is a dragon. If that was deliberate character development by the MLP team then I applaud them heartily and will forget all about my previous complaints. If not, well, it’s still funny to me.

• Brohoof 1

It makes me sad at all of the bad reception this episode is having in the fandom. It was great character development for Spike, and made Fanfics canon.

I strongly disagree with your first assertion, and find nothing very laudable in the second. I'm sorry you feel sad, but the number of negative comments is nothing but a reflection of the lack of quality of the episode. To elaborate, Spike's character did not develop, it was not even properly represented here. Since when does he wreck everything he touches? Previous episodes have shown him to be very competent at his job as Twilight's assistant, as well as being able to make cookies ("Owl's Well..."), snacks for trips ("Over a Barrel...") and in general find his way around a kitchen without making a huge mess of everything.

Which fanfics became canon? I freely admit I don't read fanfics, so you'd have to specify a few examples. In general, though, the purpose of the show is to entertain, not to confirm fan-made materials, so I personally don't want fanfic to be made canon. Just personal taste, for that one, though.

• Brohoof 2

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, good sir.

Which fanfics became canon? I freely admit I don't read fanfics, so you'd have to specify a few examples. In general, though, the purpose of the show is to entertain, not to confirm fan-made materials, so I personally don't want fanfic to be made canon. Just personal taste, for that one, though.

My apologies if this confused you. I was jokingly referring to the story which Rainbow Dash had been writing.

• Brohoof 1

Well you know this episode was pretty good, I really liked it :D. However I have to saw that there is a few things that bothered me, however overall just to be reminded I thought this episode was really good and had some nice stuff in it overall enjoyable just 2 things that bugged me.

First of all the animation for the Tiber wolfs, I might over analyze stuff alot, so when i noticed the Tiberwolves looked different it sorta bothered me. Its kinda outta style for the show ever so slightly, and it sorta bothers me :P.

Also i swear that in the beginning scene with Twilight and spike somethings... Off? It must be the camera angle but it looks odd to me, that kinda bothered me.

Other then that I have no quarrels with this episode.

It was a good episode :).

Well I never got around to commenting on this episode last week, but I just watched it again due to the lack of new episode, and liked it more this time. Still not one of the best, but it has its moments. Particularly the scene with Rainbow in the window. So much was said in the span of a few seconds there.

1. Rainbow Dash not only reads now, but loves it so much that she wants to be a writer too. Long term character development = yay!

2. Applejack writes too! This makes me like her more.

3. Applejack looked quite embarrassed to have Rarity know about her novel, which means Rainbow may be the only other pony who knew of its existence before, thus implying a deep trust between the two... +1 for Appledash shipping... EDIT: It just occurred to me, what if it's about Rarity? That could be even better :D

4. Will Twilight ever find out about said novels, and what will her reaction be?

Other things I liked... Twilight's OCD with the little ink jar, and Applejack having the idea to use it.

The overly sexual back/rump rub :blush:

Rainbow having the guts to go through with smashing the rock tower, when she clearly meant for it to be an example of something too extreme to ever really do.

Pinkie's mustache. Just oooone question...

Rarity's eye while chewing the burnt pie. It seems to be a recurring thing for eyes to go derpy while eating :P

Medieval music bits and general knightly behavior of Spike. I agree with Not a Morning Mare a few posts back... that's some awesome ironic characterization, with him riding Twilight and imagining himself as a heroic knight in the diamond dog episode too.

I think all the negative things about the episode have been covered enough, so I'll leave it at that :)

Edited by dekutree64

Didn't mind this episode to much.

Though I just found it odd how much Spike was messing up while trying to help Applejack.

I mean he's been helping Twilight for how long? From what we've been shown he's a little bit of a Klutz but no way near what he was doing in the episode. 

• Brohoof 1

Well I never got around to commenting on this episode last week, but I just watched it again due to the lack of new episode, and liked it more this time. Still not one of the best, but it has its moments. Particularly the scene with Rainbow in the window. So much was said in the span of a few seconds there.

1. Rainbow Dash not only reads now, but loves it so much that she wants to be a writer too. Long term character development = yay!

2. Applejack writes too! This makes me like her more.

3. Applejack looked quite embarrassed to have Rarity know about her novel, which means Rainbow may be the only other pony who knew of its existence before, thus implying a deep trust between the two... +1 for Appledash shipping... EDIT: It just occurred to me, what if it's about Rarity? That could be even better :D

4. Will Twilight ever find out about said novels, and what will her reaction be?

Other things I liked... Twilight's OCD with the little ink jar, and Applejack having the idea to use it.

The overly sexual back/rump rub :blush:

Rainbow having the guts to go through with smashing the rock tower, when she clearly meant for it to be an example of something too extreme to ever really do.

Pinkie's mustache. Just oooone question...

Rarity's eye while chewing the burnt pie. It seems to be a recurring thing for eyes to go derpy while eating :P

Medieval music bits and general knightly behavior of Spike. I agree with Not a Morning Mare a few posts back... that's some awesome ironic characterization, with him riding Twilight and imagining himself as a heroic knight in the diamond dog episode too.

I think all the negative things about the episode have been covered enough, so I'll leave it at that :)

Well it seems if Spike/Rarity shipping ever goes canon then Rarity will be doing all the cooking, she seems quite proficient at it in season 3 :P Also I am not sure about the novel bit... Applejack doesn't seem like much of a writer, and nothing about that was even hinted at in any previous episodes, so I am not sure what to consider it.

regarding the point of view above, the quote is as following:

RD: "What are you having him do? Wash your laundry? Clean your room? Help you with your unfinished novel? Mine's about this awesome pegasus..."

I really think that RD was talking about the things she'd have Spike do for her, this is why AJ looked confused (rather than embarassed) when she mentioned the novel bit

I give it a pass...

The whole "life debt turning overzealous" has never been a kind of plot I like. I thought it was very precdictable and the only thing that saved this episode was the gags. Pinkie Pie's mustache joke and OCD Twilight were awsome, but this won't be a memorable episode for me.

So there's my 2 cents.

Looking forward to Fluttershy and Discord :D

I did like this episode it had timber wolfs witch are a new thing to fear in the evergreen forest and to add to the list of creatures, even if we might not see them again, they are quite cool and awsome looking, I just have one note I want more of a certain yellow pony with a pink mane and butterflies of her flank....you know her, sorry if I got a little of track.

I think that the letters weren't that many due to more episodes focused on the Cutiemark Crusaders, One Bad Apple and Sleepless In Ponyville; the first two episodes didn't have a letter as the princess was present in that episode, Too Many Pinkies had one, Magic Duel didn't have one because, again, the princess was present, Wonderbolts Academy didn't have one because I think that RD explained the lesson learned to Spitfire instead, Apple Family Reunion had one and Spike At Your Service, the lesson was kinda figured out by both Spike and Applejack at the end of the episode

On the one hand, I wasn't a huge fan of this episode - probably my least favorite from season 3, actually - but, I can't exactly bring myself to dislike it, either. 

I mean, we know from other episodes (cough cough Owl's Well cough cough) that Spike is a fully capable assistant to Twilight.  Him being less than competent at Applejack's tasks "meshes" with that - at least, in my mind. I've always thought of him as being a completely devoted aid to a consummate student and librarian; it kind of makes sense that this sort of a background hadn't left him time to cultivate other, unnecessary skills.

His inability to cook I am chalking up to inexperience with those particular recipes - in some episode (which I can't quite remember), I believe he'd prepared a picnic/meal for everypony.

Admittedly, the episode did mess with and/or contradict a lot of lesser facets and details about Spike - but, I found that the "deeper" character development was "worth it."  His character is becoming more defined; his concern over honor, character, and morals has been cemented, and the episode exposed just how far his dutiful nature goes.

As for the Timber Wolves - well, I'm hoping that this is more of a 1-shot animation technique; I doubt (or, at least, hope) that they'd change the show's animation permanently, after all the success they've had with the 2-d flash-animated format.

The episode was ok one of my favorite parts was near the end when they were trying to stage a fake Timber wold attack. Spike almost fell for it but realized there was no breath. To me this made his character seem more perceptive than before. Maybe this is a sign that Spike is maturing and this might be and idea put away for a future episode.

This was ok, fun enough to watch without being particularly good. Rainbow was cool tho... It goes in the pile of average, which I suppose makes sense for every season is going to have its good, its average and its not very good. 

I think this is one of those episode for me where it's good, but it didn't thrill me. I'm satisfied with another episode centered around Spike, so that's a plus. I'm not concerned about 3D Timberwolves either. However, there wasn't anything in this episode that really grabbed my attention.

I agree with everyone who complained about Spike being out of character, though remember there were other episodes where writers exaggerated things to get the story progressing. Take Mare-Do-Well for example, I remember a lot of people pointing out the amount of accidents that happen there; or the ponies abandoning a friend, like Pinkie who's being put down in Over A Barrel, or Twilight in the season 3 pilot.
This is a cartoon, where characters and situations are used as tools, to teach kids about friendship and tolerance. There isn't always a strong consistency between episodes.

Also am I the only one who found Spike's begging for work kinda kinky

Also why does the closing tag keep disappearing when I submit my post

Edited by Feather Spiral

Important announcement:

We've got another parasprite problem, this time on YouTube. When I tried to download this episode, I ended up with a 22-minute HD slideshow of troll pics set to "I'm So Happy I'm Finally Coming Home" by Eduard Khil. Just keep an eye on the content and be careful what you download. If you do end up with a fake episode, don't hesitate to report it, just file the report under Spam and explain the misleading nature of the video title.

Bucking GNAA, they can all line up and kiss my cutie mark.

I did enjoy the episode but I did find spikes begging to do something for applejack just a little bit annoying but it still shows wat spike does and why twilight always has to have everything organized

I did enjoy the episode but I did find spikes begging to do something for applejack just a little bit annoying but it still shows wat spike does and why twilight always has to have everything organized

i agree but the thing that got me the most was how spike started to suck at everything he did. i always saw him as the handy one of the bunch. seeing as he is always doing a little bit of everything and he is good at it. especially cooking, he showed he knows how more then once throughout the show

• Brohoof 1

do you ever regret becoming something so deeply that you go onto the internet 5 years later and try and erase any evidence of you being that thing?

Edited by Chrisinden