1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I have just one question about this episode:

Why does a huge Rodeo event NOT give out prize money for 2nd and 3rd place?

Even smaller ones tend to bank $200 or at least double of whatever the entrance fee is.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, I have just one question about this episode:

Why does a huge Rodeo event NOT give out prize money for 2nd and 3rd place?

Even smaller ones tend to bank $200 or at least double of whatever the entrance fee is.

That's a fair point. I guess it was probably just so that they could get Applejack to learn a lesson about friendship at the end of the episode.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

img-1949397-1-mlp___the_last_roundup___m

img-1949397-2-carlton-dance-o.gif

img-1949397-3-derpy_emoticon1.png BEST EPISODE EVER!!!  Ok, that might be exaggerating just a little bit, but I think it's safe to say that within the first two minutes this episode was already amazing.  I've written extensively in the past about why I love this scene so much and what it meant for the fandom, so I won't go into it too much here, but I can't properly review "The Last Roundup" without covering it a little bit.  Derpy's first and, to date, only talking scene was nothing short of amazing.  First of all, Derpy herself is utterly adorable, and this scene proved as much; to this day I will never understand the small fraction of people within and outside of the fandom who decided that for some reason Ms. Hooves in her one minute of fame was insulting at all when there have been in the past so many other more incompetent characters with far more screen time in children's shows who haven't taken any slack whatsoever (and that's all I'm going to say about the Derpy controversy; again, I've written far more extensively about it in the past).  Second, her being given this tiny cameo was, to date at that point, probably the largest recognition from the folks at Studio B of the brony fandom.  When Derpy talked, it suddenly became clear as day that not only did they know about bronies, but they knew what we liked within the show, even the little things, and they cared about what we liked in the show and were willing to interact with and encourage this unlikely fandom by giving us shout outs tailored to our own tastes, basically, including us within the magic of the show itself as best they could.  This really took the level of affection between the show's creators and bronies to a whole new level, and for that, what may well prove to be Derpy's only talking scene will forever hold a special place in my heart.

img-1949397-4-large.png

I did it Rainbow Dash, I talked, I finally talked!!! img-1949397-5-derpy_emoticon1.png 

Now that that's out of the way, let's talk about the rest of the episode.  "The Last Roundup" was the first episode in Season 2 to focus on a Mane 6 character since way back in Episode 9, "Sweet and Elite".  In addition, it is also the first of a pair of back-to-back Applejack-centric episodes, similar to how Rainbow Dash had a pair of back-to-back episodes in "May the Best Pet Win" and "The Mysterious Mare Do Well".  In this review, I'll largely be looking at why people unfairly misread this episode in their viewing of it, largely, in the forming of the popular opinion that Derpy and Pinkie Pie steal the spotlight from Applejack.  I believe that in reality this really is a solid Applejack episode, but it's largely the viewer's responsibility to figure that out.  So, let's begin.

Well, first of all, let's dispel with the idea that this is Derpy and Pinkie Pie's episode.  First, as I said, Derpy's scene is undeniably amazing, one of my favorite moments in the show for obvious reasons, but that said I cannot pretend that it's anything more than a minute long scene, and not a whole episode.  Ergo, despite the fact that it's an awesome moment in this episode, I cannot conscientiously state that Derpy's scene makes the whole episode, because it simply doesn't.  As for Pinkie Pie, yes, she's on her A-game here, I mean it, she is flat out funny from beginning to end and probably is responsible for more laughs than all of the other characters in this episode combined.  But again, it's still not her episode; she doesn't have a lesson to learn, she doesn't learn any lesson, heck, she's not even present at the end of the episode when Applejack does learn her own lesson!  While she undeniably owns the laughs in this episode, that again does not mean that it is her episode; "The Last Roundup" is quite obviously an Applejack-centric episode when you get down to it, and nothing can change that, not even Pinkie Pie's personality reaching epic proportions.

img-1949397-6-KUMQUAT!_S02E14.png

Seriously, does she ever stop talking?  Lan' sakes I'm gonna buck her into a tree if she don't shut up soon.

So, that out of the way, what must a viewer understand going into this episode in order to appreciate it as truly an Applejack episode?  Well, the biggest thing is this: Applejack, even in starring roles, has never and will never have the biggest personality on screen.  That is simply not her character; she's not some flashy pegasus, super hyper earth pony, or high strung unicorn.  She's a simple, humble, farmer earth pony who doesn't like being the center of attention, never has, and never will, and the fact that the writers consistently convey that even when she's the star of an episode is commendable.  Her primary concerns are being mature, responsible, getting whatever needs doing done, and doing her best in any project she tackles.  She doesn't need her friends or family's praise to know she's done her best, she just needs to meet the high expectations she's set for herself, and once she has done so, she's perfectly content to quietly acknowledge that to herself and take it no further than that.  This goes to show that Applejack is not a Mary Sue, but rather simply a subtle, nuanced character; very mature, set in her ways, consistent, unchanging, and very, very stubborn.  The worst thing for her is making her own problems somepony else's and not meeting the standards she's set for herself, and so if she ever fails to live up to her own expectations, she will try to resolve this on her own without turning to friends or family, which she thinks is needless.  This is indeed a character flaw, and an understandable one at that, albeit somewhat unusual as well, namely in that few people ever display this flaw themselves.  It's a problem of putting too much responsibility on yourself, and, like in the Season 1 classic "Apple Bucking Season", Applejack displays this same personality trait here in "The Last Roundup".  If a viewer understands going into this episode these things about Applejack, then he or she will have no trouble at all understanding that this is easily an Applejack-centric episode.

So, just what does Applejack learn out of this experience, after failing to meet her own expectations for herself and not bringing home any first place ribbons or prize money like she'd promised?  Well, she learns that when one doesn't meet her expectations or goals, it's fine to feel disappointed, but that doesn't mean you should run from your friends and family thinking they'll be just as disappointed as well.  Instead, you should turn to them for support, because that's what they're there for, to support you when you're down and going through a rough patch, and in the end, their love and fellowship is far more important than any prize you could ever win.  This is a very, very mature lesson indeed, and it's suitable that Applejack should learn it; rather than more obvious lessons learned by ponies making more obvious mistakes, like Rarity or Rainbow Dash, it's not so clear until the end just what Applejack has done wrong and what she needs to do instead.  Personal responsibility is a wonderful trait to have and display regularly, but that doesn't mean one can't take it too far, and AJ does just that.  But in the end, all is well, and she's learned a valuable lesson that she doesn't just need to be a rock that other ponies can lean on and count on for support, but also that she has rocks of her own to lean on when times are rough, and she carries this lesson with her into the next episode, as we'll see in my next review.

Besides the great lesson learned in this episode and the solid comedic moments, the rest of the episode is pretty standard fare.  I was a little disappointed that we didn't get to see more of Canterlot or the new town of Dodge Junction, and especially a bit bummed that we didn't get to actually see Applejack at the rodeo, though I understand why the writers chose that course for storytelling purposes, along with the little that we got to see of both aforementioned cities.  The animation is lovely as usual, but nothing spectacular, and no one scene really stands out all that much visually.  Overall, this is a solid and terribly underrated Applejack episode, and unlike her Season 3 appearances which seem to get all the credit they're due, I really wish that Applejack's Season 2 appearances got the full credit they deserve from bronies and pegasisters.  If you're looking for a fun MLP episode with a great, nuanced lesson and some hysterical comedy, look no further than "The Last Roundup".

img-1949397-7-Applejack_big_smile_S2E14.

Aw shucks sugarcube, ya'll didn't have to say all those nice things about me.

STOP BEING SO MODEST!!! img-1949397-8-angry.png  Sheesh. img-1949397-9-dry.png 

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

I get the feeling that at the beginning of the episode before the theme song, someone really liked Bonanza lol That theme music sounded a WHOLE lot like the Bonanza theme.

Watch that part of the episode then watch this video and see what I mean 

Oh and I freaking love the Bonanza theme too :)

Edited by Space Woona

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This episode was very well-written.

Pinkie Pie was a delight, especially when she had to go to the Little Pony room.   :lol:   Her facial expression was awesome.  I love her other facial expression later on in the episode.  Man, she may seem to be annoying to others, but I cannot help but love her for who she is.

I was wondering how to do this....Anyways...

I think majority of us have been in Applejack's place. We are expected to win at these games. When we do not, we feel like we have failed not just for ourselves, but we failed our family, friends and community. I hate this mindset because no one who competes in a race is a failure. Failure is giving up without even trying to do something.

I hate to be in Rainbow Dash's pony shoes, when Rarity gets back. LOL

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

Before I say anything: Yes, Derpy was adorable. However, she didn't "steal the show" for me.

Anyway..

Favorite moments: The reference to "I Love Lucy" & when Pinkie jumps off the wagon saying "Rarity catch me".

Dat face..post-14906-0-20996000-1392144251_thumb.jpg

Edited by Samurott77

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to point out that Derpy in the beginning (controversies aside) gave a foreshadowing look to how Applejack would respond when the truth would finally come out.

img-2326178-1-201px-Derpy_looking_sad_S0201px-Applejack%27s_ribbons_are_scattere

Bonus face:

From Hurricane Fluttershy:

img-2326178-3-201px-Very_Sad_Fluttershy_

See the similar Woobie looks. Makes ya want to jump right in and give them a hug, doesn't it?

Edited by WiiGuy

See the similar Woobie looks. Makes ya want to jump right in and give them a hug, doesn't it?[

I don't need a reason to want to hug a pony, but when they look like that it's a sin not to hug them ;.; 

Edited by Anilewe

• 1 month later...
(edited)

I'm not a fan of Applejack so I don't really like this episode. The chase at the end is too exaggerated.

One good point is Derpy talking. I love her voice! :wub:

But they replaced it to an awful voice and RD doesn't call her Derpy... :huh:  Too bad.

Edited by BlobuIle

• 4 weeks later...

I typically don't care for the episodes where somepony acts like an idiot.  Let me explain what I mean.  After all that the 6 have been through up to this point, after how their bonds of friendship have been tested and strengthened time and again, how, how in the flying f*ck, how in the name of Celestia could Applejack possibly think her friends would think less of her or downright hate her for not winning the rodeo?  Now, I can understand her being hesitant to tell the whole town, particularly because of the financial pressure that the mayor put on her.  ("Don't forget to come back with all that money!"  That was kinda f*cked up of the mayor).  But how could AJ ever think her best friends, the f*cking element of Harmony holders, would think less of her?  At the very least, she sould have told them the truth after a little gentle prodding.  But instead, she leads them on a f*cking chase to the end of the earth and puts all of them in harm's way.  And the very worst part is that she never did make the decision to be honest.  She only told them because her medals spilled out on the ground and the jig was up.  I was disappointed by her lack of faith in her friends.  She acted like an idiot in this episode.  I could understand if it was actually a big deal, but it was just coming in 2nd and 3rd and 4th in a friggin Equestria wide rode competition.  It's not like she killed a homeless pony in cold blood or something.  GEEZE.

I like the episodes where nopony acts like an idiot.  E.g. Wonderbolts Academy or Magic Duel, or A Friend in Deed, etc.  Basically, I don't like the episodes where one of the 6 actually thinks that her friends are going to disown her or hate her for some stupid little thing.

I did, however, love the obvious nod to the iconic I Love Lucy job switching scene.  It's amazing how many times that scene has gotten parodied.  Definitely one of the most beloved and iconic shows of all time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It was a good episode but then came soccer moms and disrespectful toads claiming it is offencive and destroyed derpies chance of being a bigger part of the show. From there on love and tolerance came second to killing off the weak. Typical human reaction something different is equal to something that should not exist. Morons they are to take such a vile stance even against a cartoon character.

• 1 month later...

After everything that happened with Derpy, even though the Derpy fans won a partial victory, I still can't bring myself to watch this episode, even though I loved it. I was just far too invested into that drama that I immediately become as mentally drained as I was the day the edited version was reuploaded to iTunes. It was so disappointing and heartbreaking, and those feelings become exacerbated in episodes like Equestria Games, when she could have had a line, a simple cheer, but was forced to stay silent because DHX and Hasbro are scared of the irrational backlash.

I'm sure everyone is sick of talking about the Derpy derail, but I just wanted to get my thoughts out there. I was beyond happy when Derpy spoke, her voice and personality are beautiful, it's such a tragedy what happened.  

Edited by EquestriaGuy

• 3 weeks later...

I thought this episode was meh. I didn't find it that exciting and I found it unpleasant for Applejack continually ignoring her friends. I just didn't like that. My highlight was at the beginning when Derpy was helping Rainbow Dash. It was my highlight because Derpy finally gets a speaking role.

• 3 months later...