Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Christian bronies: meet, greet, and mingle!

Zach TheDane

On 2/1/2019 at 8:54 AM, Hachiroku said:

Are Catholics welcome here? Or is this one of those places where we're excluded?

I’ve been posting here for awhile and I’m Catholic. I’ve never been to a place where I’m excluded. :confused:

On 2/1/2019 at 10:02 AM, Hachiroku said:

Yea, I would say that it is persecution. I didn't think that I would ever be persecuted for following Jesus until I got to college. They don't want us to celebrate Easter, they won't give us holy week off, and the profs and students alike will insult and bash you and your faith. The school preaches about diversity while discriminating against us. Ironic. But the school seems to like OTHER religions, so why do they hate us?

Just saying I’ve been there. As I said I wasn’t “excluded” but there were people in college who mocked me for my faith. But the professors getting in on it? Shameful. Especially as you pointed out when they seem fine with other religions.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Dreambiscuit said:

When people mock you, consider it an honor to be walking in Jesus' footsteps, so to speak. Remember they hated Him first. 

18 minutes ago, Steel Accord said:

I’ve been posing here for awhile and I’m Catholic. I’ve never been to a place where I’m excluded. :confused:

Just saying I’ve been there. As I said I wasn’t “excluded” but there were people in college who mocked me for my faith. But the professors getting in on it? Shameful. Especially as you pointed out when they seem fine with other religions.

you gotta bless those who prosecute you, it says so in the book

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. How you all doing? Could use some support if you don’t mind a second.

See being a man of faith, I love to research and understand other religions. I’ve been subscribed to the Hinduism subreddit for awhile now and while my stay hasn’t been unfruitful in terms of learning, one thing I did learn was that those on that subreddit hate Christians. Not just Christianity, Christians.

It was somewhat disheartening to come in good faith wanting to learn only to be condemned and conflated with everything wrong. It also marks the first time I was directly compared to a demon.

So twofold. How does one get rid of this feeling in the pit of my gut? And do you know any sources of learning about Hinduism that aren’t viciously sectarian?

Edit: To be clear, I’m more upset by how I can’t shake this bad feeling. One that I can’t even describe. I’m not looking for why some things were said to me.

Edited by Steel Accord

15 minutes ago, Steel Accord said:

Hey guys. How you all doing? Could use some support if you don’t mind a second.

See being a man of faith, I love to research and understand other religions. I’ve been subscribed to the Hinduism subreddit for awhile now and while my stay hasn’t been unfruitful in terms of learning, one thing I did learn was that those on that subreddit hate Christians. Not just Christianity, Christians.

It was somewhat disheartening to come in good faith wanting to learn only to be condemned and conflated with everything wrong.

So twofold. How does one get rid of this feeling in the pit of my gut? And do you know any sources of learning about Hinduism that aren’t viciously sectarian?

I am really sorry to hear. I would suggest to divert your attention from the source of the problem, and try to concentrate on something that you like. It's out of your hands now, and it's better to leave it on the hands of God.

I am not familiar with Hinduism, so there isn't much that I can help with that. But in a general sense, I would say that learning about it IRL appears to be a better approach to me, since the religious experience is something that happens outside the Internet. What I mean here is to try reading some book or look for someone in person in order to learn. I don't know anything about the subject to be more specific, sorry.

At any rate, I am praying for you. Take care :)

16 minutes ago, Sunwalker said:

But in a general sense, I would say that learning about it IRL appears to be a better approach to me, since the religious experience is something that happens outside the Internet.

That’s actually a good point. Better to learn from someone looking me in the face.

Thanks for the prayers buddy. Means a lot.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Steel Accord said:

That’s actually a good point. Better to learn from someone looking me in the face.

Thanks for the prayers buddy. Means a lot.

You are very welcome! ^_^

Did some experimenting on trying to discover myself and looking into other religions, but I'm thinking Christianity is where I should be. I don't want to be the super conservative type, but one open to more change (progressive, I guess). What's a good denomination for that?

19 hours ago, Kaneki said:

Did some experimenting on trying to discover myself and looking into other religions, but I'm thinking Christianity is where I should be. I don't want to be the super conservative type, but one open to more change (progressive, I guess). What's a good denomination for that?

I think that it's important to get to some place where you are received well, and that's loyal to God, then try to get involved and helping people with events and stuff there. Plus it's better to get guidance of those who are already experienced.

But more importantly, it's necessary to understand that Truth is more than just a concept, it's a living person who wants to have an active role in your life if so you allow, as God respects one's will. There are certain aspects of the faith that you only actually learn when you live through it, life experience is important.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
On 3/1/2019 at 12:56 AM, Kaneki said:

All of them.

Keep in mind, you’re not subscribing to a magazine, you’re looking for the truth. A truth deeper and eternal than the trends of contemporary times.

Consider what Jesus said in the book of Mark. “Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s and to God the things that are to God.”

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 2

• 3 months later...

(kinda shy) Its been a while since I been here lolol hii. Romans 8:18 "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the GLORY that is to be revealed to us" hallelujah, praise the Lord lol, John 15:18 "If the world hates you, bear in mind that it hated me first." those are my fav bible verses, God Bless all of you lol

• Brohoof 3

• 1 month later...

Hey friends. Got a little discussion topic for you.

As some of you might know of me, I love to practice the martial arts. Specifically in the Chinese disciplines of Kung Fu. And the reasons people do such are many. I’m not looking for self-defense or mere entertainment, although both are nice bonuses. No for me, it’s a spiritual pursuit. I compare it to video games. Video games are something I love but they require nothing of me. No commitment or sacrifice.

Kung Fu, by its literal definition of “skill through hard work” requires much of me. As someone who once hated working out, it stood out as strange that one of my favorite hobbies was so physically strenuous. Although I later figured out that was part of the point. God wants sacrifice on our part. To put our faith into practice. 

God calls me to the martial arts in the same way He calls me to Mass each Sunday. It’s always worth it even if it’s not always fun and requires something of me.

Now, I’ve heard religious arguments as sensible as “it’s okay as long as you don’t accept the spiritual stuff” to as far afield as “you’ll be possessed by tiger demons!” And I disagree with both. Certainly it doesn’t hurt to learn, know, and understand the underlying Buddhist or Taoist principals behind Shaolin Fist style versus Tai Chi. Indeed it’s why I prefer these schools to modern MMA or even my base style of Kenpo Karate. Both utterly divorced from ANY spiritual precepts. Without which, they’re just efficient methods of combat. Which is not what I’m looking for.

However, I would like to know your guys’ thoughts on a question I have. Given that I am a Christian, and Catholic specifically, how exactly can I fit the traditional martial arts into theological perspective? Not in the sense of protecting myself or others from violence, how would (theoretically) the pursuit of Kung Fu, training to fight without looking to fight, bring me close to God? Or is the path God wants me to walk?

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Steel Accord said:

Hey friends. Got a little discussion topic for you.

As some of you might know of me, I love to practice the martial arts. Specifically in the Chinese disciplines of Kung Fu. And the reasons people do such are many. I’m not looking for self-defense or mere entertainment, although both are nice bonuses. No for me, it’s a spiritual pursuit. I compare it to video games. Video games are something I love but they require nothing of me. No commitment or sacrifice.

Kung Fu, by its literal definition of “skill through hard work” requires much of me. As someone who once hated working out, it stood out as strange that one of my favorite hobbies was so physically strenuous. Although I later figured out that was part of the point. God wants sacrifice on our part. To put our faith into practice. 

God calls me to the martial arts in the same way He calls me to Mass each Sunday. It’s always worth it even if it’s not always fun and requires something of me.

Now, I’ve heard religious arguments as sensible as “it’s okay as long as you don’t accept the spiritual stuff” to as far afield as “you’ll be possessed by tiger demons!” And I disagree with both. Certainly it doesn’t hurt to learn, know, and understand the underlying Buddhist or Taoist principals behind Shaolin Fist style versus Tai Chi. Indeed it’s why I prefer these schools to modern MMA or even my base style of Kenpo Karate. Both utterly divorced from ANY spiritual precepts. Without which, they’re just efficient methods of combat. Which is not what I’m looking for.

However, I would like to know your guys’ thoughts on a question I have. Given that I am a Christian, and Catholic specifically, how exactly can I fit the traditional martial arts into theological perspective? Not in the sense of protecting myself or others from violence, how would (theoretically) the pursuit of Kung Fu, training to fight without looking to fight, bring me close to God? Or is the path God wants me to walk?

I am not familiar with martial arts. But speaking in a general sense, there's nothing wrong with physical training and self-discipline, and neither with defending yourself. The body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, and taking care of yourself is also a form of respect.

Physical and mental discipline are good, and can help one to better serve God. Anyways the first commandment always apply. One mustn't put anything above God, whether it's some occult spirit or even oneself (i.e. Narcissism), because nothing except God can lead to supreme happiness.

Clearing your mind and getting relaxed doesn't necessarily counts as prayer by itself, but can help you to get in a better mindset for praying. By being calm prayer can be much more fruitful than while agitated and unfocused.

Edited by Sunwalker
  • Brohoof 2

12 hours ago, Sunwalker said:

One mustn't put anything above God, whether it's some occult spirit or even oneself (i.e. Narcissism), because nothing except God can lead to supreme happiness.

We’ve talked before. You know I’m devout. At the same time, I did make it a point that understanding and respecting Buddhism, Taoism, etc. is not the same thing as worship. And I said the “possessed by tiger demons!” thing as a joke about histrionic people who think any practice or hobby outside of Church is Satanic.

I would also like to note that Buddhism and Taoism are hardly of the occult. At least depending on how you define it.

12 hours ago, Sunwalker said:

Clearing your mind and getting relaxed doesn't necessarily counts as prayer by itself, but can help you to get in a better mindset for praying. By being calm prayer can be much more fruitful than while agitated and unfocused.

Funny because I did that just last night. I needed to pray but I was angry. Praying in anger wouldn’t be right so I needed to calm myself. Using the mediation I’ve been practicing as part of my Kung Fu, I was able to calm myself and push the anger from my mind while I prayed.

5 hours ago, Steel Accord said:

We’ve talked before. You know I’m devout. At the same time, I did make it a point that understanding and respecting Buddhism, Taoism, etc. is not the same thing as worship. And I said the “possessed by tiger demons!” thing as a joke about histrionic people who think any practice or hobby outside of Church is Satanic.

I would also like to note that Buddhism and Taoism are hardly of the occult. At least depending on how you define it.

I was talking in a general manner, not specific examples or anything that you did. Just some general guidelines, I didn't claim that martial arts would a form of occultism.

5 hours ago, Steel Accord said:

Funny because I did that just last night. I needed to pray but I was angry. Praying in anger wouldn’t be right so I needed to calm myself. Using the mediation I’ve been practicing as part of my Kung Fu, I was able to calm myself and push the anger from my mind while I prayed.

That's good to hear! :)

I have learned about the use of relaxation techniques in a Prayer and Life Workshop, that I did a while ago.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Sunwalker said:

I was talking in a general manner, not specific examples or anything that you did. Just some general guidelines, I didn't claim that martial arts would a form of occultism.

That's good to hear! :)

I have learned about the use of relaxation techniques in a Prayer and Life Workshop, that I did a while ago.

Understood. Just wanted to make things clear.

Thanks for your contribution buddy.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Steel Accord said:

Could be better honestly. Then again, that’s why I’m working to make it better. Thank you for asking. What about yourself?

Eeeeeeh... trying to have fun to put some of the more stressful things going on out of my mind.

Struggling with the good old fashioned “secular sin invading the stuff that I use as a mental haven” thing. This week I’m having to fly up to New York to see my family because my grandpa decided to quit his chemotherapy for his lung cancer. They re having a “Celebration of Life” kind of party for him. It’s likely the last time I’ll see him face-to-face ever.

And my dad is going to be there, who I’ve been more or less estranged from for about a decade now. Trying super hard not to freak out.

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

Eeeeeeh... trying to have fun to put some of the more stressful things going on out of my mind.

Struggling with the good old fashioned “secular sin invading the stuff that I use as a mental haven” thing. This week I’m having to fly up to New York to see my family because my grandpa decided to quit his chemotherapy for his lung cancer. They re having a “Celebration of Life” kind of party for him. It’s likely the last time I’ll see him face-to-face ever.

And my dad is going to be there, who I’ve been more or less estranged from for about a decade now. Trying super hard not to freak out.

For what it’s worth, I know how you feel. I just got back from the wedding of a dear friend of mine. The woman he married though is a hardline atheist. Yet they both insisted on being wed in the traditional fashion, rings, vows, an officiator who just also happened to be a Pastor (her brother.)

The whole thing just felt so disingenuous. Not that I doubt their love for one another, just that they seemed to want all the trappings of marriage, a union before and within God, while explicitly voiding His involvement. The ceremony was without gravitas, very fluffy and casual. It’s a wedding. It shouldn’t be somber, but it should emphasize the weight of the commitment as well as the joy.

So for what it’s worth, attending a “celebration of life” without acknowledging why life has any meaning beyond the fleeting pleasures of this temporary world? Yeah, I can get why that would be frustrating. They want all the benefit, with none of the responsibility.

13 minutes ago, Steel Accord said:

So for what it’s worth, attending a “celebration of life” without acknowledging why life has any meaning beyond the fleeting pleasures of this temporary world? Yeah, I can get why that would be frustrating. They want all the benefit, with none of the responsibility.

Heh, well you’re correct in deducing that this half of my family is not so tight with God. That is true. But that’s not so much what I’m frustrated about.

I’m just straight terrified of having to deal with my dad after not speaking to him for 10 years. I’m excited to see my grandpa and (half) siblings, but nervous about him.

He’s not dangerous, or abusive, or anything like that. He’s just kind of a crappy parental figure and I got sick of it a long time ago.

• Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

Heh, well you’re correct in deducing that this half of my family is not so tight with God. That is true. But that’s not so much what I’m frustrated about.

I’m just straight terrified of having to deal with my dad after not speaking to him for 10 years. I’m excited to see my grandpa and (half) siblings, but nervous about him.

He’s not dangerous, or abusive, or anything like that. He’s just kind of a crappy parental figure and I got sick of it a long time ago.

No I got that such was bothering you. Just trying to empathize on that particular subject matter because I can’t do the same on the Dad front.

Obviously you can’t totally avoid him but you don’t need to engage with him either. Be there for your grandfather and pray for him. Moreover let him know you’ll be praying for him. Let him go to God knowing his granddaughter loves God as well as him.

If you’re afraid I don’t blame you. It’s a terrible situation. And I won’t offer you a platitude that God is with you. Even if He is, it doesn’t magically make things easier. It does mean though that keeping Him in mind means you might walk through the bad situation better than if you tried to brave it alone.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Steel Accord said:

No I got that such was bothering you. Just trying to empathize on that particular subject matter because I can’t do the same on the Dad front.

Obviously you can’t totally avoid him but you don’t need to engage with him either. Be there for your grandfather and pray for him. Moreover let him know you’ll be praying for him. Let him go to God knowing his granddaughter loves God as well as him.

If you’re afraid I don’t blame you. It’s a terrible situation. And I won’t offer you a platitude that God is with you. Even if He is, it doesn’t magically make things easier.

Thanks hon, I appreciate it. I’ll be okay, I just really want to vent. I’ve been choking down my emotions on this particular situation for about a months now, because honestly, I just haven’t had time to let them out and just be upset.

• Brohoof 1