Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Most Attractive Pony Tournament 2013!

Akemi Homura

Octavia's a very pretty pony, I'm not denying that. But I simply love the playful randomness and cute beauty (ceuaty? eh.) of Pinkie over the more "serene accord" type of pony.

I've posted only so many pictures to support my pony, so I think I'll give that a rest. What I would like to do, at this point, is bring in the Smile song - the embodiment of her delightful character and outlook.

20120501021429Pinkie_Pie_Making_Song_Req

"Psssst."

"...Yes? I'm rather busy at the--"

"Are you supposed to be, you know, winning here?"

"Naturally. What shame is there in a winning performance?"

"Hee hee. No, no. That's not what I meant. I mean, are you supposed to be leading?"

"But of course. I am the head of the orchestra, and as we have no conductor--"

"*groan*! I mean why are this many people on MLP Forums voting for you?!"

"My dear, you're breaking the fourth wall again."

*facehoof*

• Brohoof 5

Dashie losing to Lyra?

Trixie losing to Vinyl?

Octy only tieing with Pinkie?

WHAT IS THIS! Seems like everyone is treating this like a "best pony" competition.

I mean...seriously? This is meant to be an analysis with a degree of objectivity, not "I prefer x as a character."

Dashie, Trixie, and Octy better advance...else the community's lost its senses.

PS: It is worth noting that this is a contest of attractiveness not of niceness and (I would argue) cutness alone. A kitten is cute, but we wouldn't call it attractive.

Edited by Starswirl the Goateed
  • Brohoof 1

WHAT IS THIS! Seems like everyone is treating this like a "best pony" competition.

I mean...seriously? This is meant to be an analysis with a degree of objectivity, not "I prefer x as a character."

Not really... because that's not really practical. Attractiveness is arbitrary and trying to be objective with your vote is pointless... I just highlighted it in the OP. Did you read that first before you posted this? :blink:

• Brohoof 2

Dashie losing to Lyra?

Trixie losing to Vinyl?

Octy only tieing with Pinkie?

Dashie, Trixie, and Octy better advance...else the community's lost its senses.

PS: It is worth noting that this is a contest of attractiveness not of niceness and (I would argue) cutness alone. A kitten is cute, but we wouldn't call it attractive.

Are you saying that attractiveness can't apply to personality? I don't think so. Plus, it even says personality counts in the first post: "and also how they interact with others; i.e, their personality."

• Brohoof 1

This wild card is turning out to be something we didn't expect.

But, what I didn't expect is Dashie losing to Lyra. :o

I guess in a tournament like this, there are twists/turns.

But nonetheless, we are all still friends.

Edited by LightningDust
  • Brohoof 1

Not really... because that's not really practical. Attractiveness is arbitrary and trying to be objective with your vote is pointless... I just highlighted it in the OP. Did you read that first before you posted this? :blink:

Of course I read the OP. while there are no objective, global standards of attractiveness, there are things that are generally agreed upon. I feel it requires more of an explanation than simply "favorite pony". At least in my crazy mind, a fsvorite is purely subjective, but "attraction" has some logic and standards behind it.

Of course I read the OP. while there are no objective, global standards of attractiveness, there are things that are generally agreed upon. I feel it requires more of an explanation than simply "favorite pony". At least in my crazy mind, a fsvorite is purely subjective, but "attraction" has some logic and standards behind it.

I've already outlined multiple times that you can consider your favourite pony to be very attractive, including the OP. Certain standards don't fit the bill for others and so they don't have the same taste as everyone else. What's to stop them from saying one of the ponies are pretty nonetheless, though? Almost nothing.

• Brohoof 1

Are you saying that attractiveness can't apply to personality? I don't think so. Plus, it even says personality counts in the first post: "and also how they interact with others; i.e, their personality."

The difference is that personality should not be judged for its own sake, but intesd for how it benefits overall attraction.

The difference is that personality should not be judged for its own sake, but intesd for how it benefits overall attraction.

That's exactly what we've all done. I, for example, find Pinkie's optimism and enthusiasm to benefit her overall attraction. Where hasn't this applied?

• Brohoof 1

Haven't I already said that there's a lot of things that makes a pony attractive? Some traits have to stand out from others so that the characters don't feel like Mary Sues or completely underwhelming. It's dependent on people's choices and I can't tinker with that.. If I attempted to, this wouldn't work at all.

• Brohoof 2

Just glanced at the chart and started to consider how things will turn out for the current leaders in their appropriate sections.

If we assume Lyra wins, how is she going to cope against Twilight? Will she lose her support in the face of the Element of Magic's adorkableness? If she can beat Dashie, can she beat anyone?

How about Vinyl vs Applejack? From what I've seen Applejack isn't exactly the most popular of ponies on the forums, so perhaps background pony is assured?

Onto Rarity vs Fluttershy, the cruelest of match-ups. An adorable innocent creature vs a whirling ball of class and grace. I believe Rarity's womanly charms will win the day, although maybe Fluttershy's heart-melting looks and innocence will pull through?

Finally Spitfire vs Octavia. (although this section is very close and I believe that Pinkie can still pull through if she can muster enough support. I don't mind either way.) I think a lot of people seem to consider Spitfire to be very attractive in a rugged beauty sort of way (correct me if I'm wrong) and after Wonderbolt Academy she seemed to gain a considerable amount of popularity. I think that, being realistic, even if Octavia does win this round she will get blown away by Spitfire.

Edited by Archi
  • Brohoof 2

Just glanced at the chart and started to consider how things will turn out for the current leaders in their appropriate sections. If we assume Lyra wins, how is she going to cope against Twilight? Will she lose her support in the face of the Element of Magic's adorkableness? If she can beat Dashie, can she beat anyone? How about Vinyl vs Applejack? From what I've seen Applejack isn't exactly the most popular of ponies on the forums, so perhaps background pony is assured? Onto Rarity vs Fluttershy, the cruelest of match-ups. An adorable innocent creature vs a whirling ball of class and grace. I believe Rarity's womanly charms will win the day, although maybe Fluttershy's heart-melting looks and innocence will pull through? Finally Spitfire vs Octavia. (although this section is very close and I believe that Pinkie can still pull through if she can muster enough support. I don't mind either way.) I think a lot of people seem to consider Spitfire to be very attractive in a rugged beauty sort of way (correct me if I'm wrong) and after Wonderbolt Academy she seemed to gain a considerable amount of popularity. I think that, being realistic, even if Octavia does win this round she will get blown away by Spitfire.

That isn't a bad thought. Wild Card round may end up going to overtime if it's this close - but hopefully they'll end up edging each other out before it gets to that.

Lyra VS Twilight sounds like an interesting match-up. Though, Twilight handily won her division but Lyra ended up surging through the standings the final couple of days last week so it'll be closer this time around, I think.

I wouldn't overlook Octavia if she ends up facing Spitfire. There are a lot of Octavia fans and I'm sure they find her to be stellar, the same kind of attractiveness that gave Rarity such a big name. It's hard to compete with that, rugged beauty notwithstanding. But Spitfire is gorgeous that way. She's a hottie.

I've already outlined multiple times that you can consider your favourite pony to be very attractive, including the OP. Certain standards don't fit the bill for others and so they don't have the same taste as everyone else. What's to stop them from saying one of the ponies are pretty nonetheless, though? Almost nothing.

I think we were arguing about different things. My opinions that certain ponies should win are just opinions. My criticism was of how I thought some people were arguing :)

I think we were arguing about different things. My opinions that certain ponies should win are just opinions. My criticism was of how I thought some people were arguing :)

I know but all that was encouraged from the start. I wanted this thread to be booming with posts, not a no-man's land where you just send in your vote and be on your way.

• Brohoof 1

Argument? No, no, no, good chap, this heated debate! The clash of idea upon idea, mind against mind, words lovingly crafted to persuade the other that your own view is superior and that resistance is futile.

This is not the mindless melee of argument; this is the duel of words, the realm of poetic gambits and witty parries. Argument is the drunkard slugging his unruly companion on the arm. Debate is the honourable battle between men of high stature, and should be sought by all.

End gentlemanly speech thingy.

• Brohoof 3

59731-Lyramonocletop_hat.png

Well put, Archi, old bean.

We're feeling a tad misunderstood by you, Starswirl. We're doing just as Alfonzo directed. If somepony wants a detailed and rational explanation for why I find Lyra more attractive than Rainbow Dash beyond "she's my new favorite pony"--believe me, there is one. But be careful what you wish for, it may be tl;dr. ;) An explanation I made to a friend, related below.

Naturally I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't actually believe Lyra was more visually appealing than Dash. I do believe it.

There's something remarkably soothing and apropo about her colors. Her coat is mint green, which I always liked. And her light blue mane combines extraordinarily well with it, so much that a few overenthusiastic fan artists draw them the same color. Naturally this irks me, but it's forgivable. xD  Moving on, the white streaks that outline either side of her mane and tail are a perfect touch. In fact, they may be what "makes" her design as far as her hair goes.

So next to this very cool and consistent color scheme, suddenly you have these amber eyes. That's another thing. Amber eyes next to blue and green? They're very striking, but for a moment you think they don't fit. Until you see her cutie mark. A lyre--not a harp, some people make that mistake--the same color as the eyes, and a unique mark on the show. Presumably she uses her magic to play it as such a thing wouldn't be possible with hooves, but then that's always been a flexible concept if you look at Octavia and her cello.

So next to this, which even many non-Lyra fans will admit is a very appealing design, you have personality. For me, that factors into attractiveness, even with cartoon characters. For example, a character like Trixie, despite being a stroke of designing genius IMO, will always leave a bad taste in my mouth--because she's not a nice pony, and I'm not interested in much that's been done with her in canon or fanon.

Whereas Lyra, outside of being a pleasant unicorn who hangs out with Bon Bon and warmly expresses her approval of royal bridesmaid dresses (xD), is left to the viewer's imagination. And here's why that works for her. Sometimes leaving a background character's...well, character up to the fandom results in very little response. (Or a negative response.) But Lyra expressed enough unique quirks--most notably sitting on a bench human-style in Dragonshy--that the fans saw something in her and responded positively.

The fanon that has been built around Lyra is simply outstanding. The fan art is above average, as I will show you if you wish to see my image collection. xD The fan fiction is iconic, with works such as "Anthroplogy" and "Background Pony" that are household names on FIMfiction. Her shipping is well known and varied, from Bon Bon to Octavia to Vinyl and even beyond--a healthy variety, but not so wide that it prompts sarcastic joke fics like "Rainbow Dash seduces a watermelon." ^^

From very little, the fans have constructed a curious, eccentric but well-meaning personality for Lyra that, if not technically legitimate, must come as close as possible. In fact, she has made me appreciate things in the fandom that I utterly ignored before. For me it was all "what about the show? It should be like the show. Is it on the show?" xD

She is the one pony who has led me to broaden my horizons. Not to the point where I'll accept grimdark as legitimate (never happen), but to the point that I am a happier fan of My Little Pony than I was before. So that personality, combined with a design I could look at forever, is why I find her a more attractive pony than Rainbow Dash. Don't get me wrong, I love Dash. Always will. Her design is quite good. But it doesn't get me like Lyra's.

I used to like Dash's design best of all because she was blue. And she had the most colors. And it's still good, but Lyra excels in subtlety, something Dash does not possess in appearance or personality. xD  And I like that quality. And Lyra has the blue, but she also has the...what do you call it, symmetry? I'm not real good with those words. Rather than making a sudden impression with different colors, Lyra appeals to me so naturally that I feel better just seeing her.

And her rare appearances on the show, contrary to Dash's frequent adventures, make me value Lyra all the more.

Cheerio!

Edited by TailsAlone
  • Brohoof 5

Well put, Archi, old bean.

We're feeling a tad misunderstood by you, Starswirl. We're doing just as Alfonzo directed. If somepony wants a detailed and rational explanation for why I find Lyra more attractive than Rainbow Dash beyond "she's my new favorite pony"--believe me, there is one. But be careful what you wish for, it may be tl;dr. ;) An explanation I made to a friend, related below.

Naturally I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't actually believe Lyra was more visually appealing than Dash. I do believe it.

There's something remarkably soothing and apropo about her colors. Her coat is mint green, which I always liked. And her light blue mane combines extraordinarily well with it, so much that a few overenthusiastic fan artists draw them the same color. Naturally this irks me, but it's forgivable. xD  Moving on, the white streaks that outline either side of her mane and tail are a perfect touch. In fact, they may be what "makes" her design as far as her hair goes.

So next to this very cool and consistent color scheme, suddenly you have these amber eyes. That's another thing. Amber eyes next to blue and green? They're very striking, but for a moment you think they don't fit. Until you see her cutie mark. A lyre--not a harp, some people make that mistake--the same color as the eyes, and a unique mark on the show. Presumably she uses her magic to play it as such a thing wouldn't be possible with hooves, but then that's always been a flexible concept if you look at Octavia and her cello.

So next to this, which even many non-Lyra fans will admit is a very appealing design, you have personality. For me, that factors into attractiveness, even with cartoon characters. For example, a character like Trixie, despite being a stroke of designing genius IMO, will always leave a bad taste in my mouth--because she's not a nice pony, and I'm not interested in much that's been done with her in canon or fanon.

Whereas Lyra, outside of being a pleasant unicorn who hangs out with Bon Bon and warmly expresses her approval of royal bridesmaid dresses (xD), is left to the viewer's imagination. And here's why that works for her. Sometimes leaving a background character's...well, character up to the fandom results in very little response. (Or a negative response.) But Lyra expressed enough unique quirks--most notably sitting on a bench human-style in Dragonshy--that the fans saw something in her and responded positively.

The fanon that has been built around Lyra is simply outstanding. The fan art is above average, as I will show you if you wish to see my image collection. xD The fan fiction is iconic, with works such as "Anthroplogy" and "Background Pony" that are household names on FIMfiction. Her shipping is well known and varied, from Bon Bon to Octavia to Vinyl and even beyond--a healthy variety, but not so wide that it prompts sarcastic joke fics like "Rainbow Dash seduces a watermelon." ^^

From very little, the fans have constructed a curious, eccentric but well-meaning personality for Lyra that, if not technically legitimate, must come as close as possible. In fact, she has made me appreciate things in the fandom that I utterly ignored before. For me it was all "what about the show? It should be like the show. Is it on the show?" xD

She is the one pony who has led me to broaden my horizons. Not to the point where I'll accept grimdark as legitimate (never happen), but to the point that I am a happier fan of My Little Pony than I was before. So that personality, combined with a design I could look at forever, is why I find her a more attractive pony than Rainbow Dash. Don't get me wrong, I love Dash. Always will. Her design is quite good. But it doesn't get me like Lyra's.

I used to like Dash's design best of all because she was blue. And she had the most colors. And it's still good, but Lyra excels in subtlety, something Dash does not possess in appearance or personality. xD  And I like that quality. And Lyra has the blue, but she also has the...what do you call it, symmetry? I'm not real good with those words. Rather than making a sudden impression with different colors, Lyra appeals to me so naturally that I feel better just seeing her.

And her rare appearances on the show, contrary to Dash's frequent adventures, make me value Lyra all the more.

Cheerio!

kSkb3.png

You made me gain so much more appreciation for Lyra, even having not indulged in her fanon.

(Rainbow Dash still wins by what is now a much smaller margin)

• Brohoof 2

Assuming Lyra pulls through, I'll continue to vote for her. She had a rough start with the seeding but now it seems like she's picked up a solid following. 

If Octavia wins, it looks like she'll be in for a tough fight. She's gonna need all of her fans to come out of the shadows. I gotta start stockpiling Octavia pics, just in case I need to start campaigning.  

I want to see Lyra vs Octavia in the finals; make it happen people.

• Brohoof 3

Just yesterday, Lyra was leading Rainbow Dash and Octavia/Pinkie Pie were tied. Now, Ocavia's breaking away and Dash/Lyra are deadlocked at 60 votes apiece! This is intense.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, this is pretty intense ain't it? I personally prefer Lyra's looks, but it will be interesting to see if her or Dash wins in the end of this round, I wish them both luck.

Good to see Rarity is completely safe though. ;)

• Brohoof 3

50-50 a piece with Lyra/Dash. OMGOSH OMGOSH. :P

This will be a battle of epic proportions!

Even if Dashie does win, I'll wish both fans of Lyra and Dash good luck.

• Brohoof 3

WHAT?! PINKEH IS LOSING AGAIN?! ARE YOU SERIOUS?!

THIS IS BULL-CRAP! THIS IS JUST LIKE THE MOST ATTRACTIVE PONY POLL ALL OVER AGAIN!

WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!

Seriously, how can you not like this:

pinkie_pie_socks_by_jcos88-d5m2koa.jpg

Unbelievable :w

Edited by Urdnot Pinkie Pie
  • Brohoof 3