Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Cooking!

SugarSlatheredCandyApple

So, who here likes to cook? I am in the process of making one of my favorite soups, Lentil Soup! ^_^

Lentil Soup!!!!

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 pound lentils, picked and rinsed
  • 1 cup peeled and chopped tomatoes
  • 2 quarts chicken or vegetable broth
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground garam masala
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground toasted cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Directions

Place the olive oil into a large 6-quart Dutch oven and set over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion, carrot, celery and salt and sweat until the onions are translucent, approximately 6 to 7 minutes. Add the lentils, tomatoes, broth, coriander, cumin and grains of paradise and stir to combine. Increase the heat to high and bring just to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook at a low simmer until the lentils are tender, approximately 40 minutes to 1 hour. Using a stick blender, puree to your preferred consistency. Top with a dollup of yogurt and cilantro.

• Brohoof 1

I love cooking. My Grandfather used to be a professional chef, so I have been gifted to learn a lot of tricks from him. Right now I love adding this to pretty much everything I eat.

post-15-0-14546800-1318285664_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1

I love cooking. My Grandfather used to be a professional chef, so I have been gifted to learn a lot of tricks from him. Right now I love adding this to pretty much everything I eat.

post-15-0-14546800-1318285664_thumb.jpg

Oooh yes, I'll eat this with almost anything.

I am a great baker, but I only have a little experience cooking. I'm great with pastries, but the only other things I know how to fix is quesadillas, french toast, and shells and cheese.

I don't really know how to cook beyond little things in the oven or microwave.

I really wish I knew how to make my mom's Stroganoff. It's the most fabulous food in the world.

She uses Cream of Mushroom Soup with Egg Noodles and Steak Bits chopped up in it and mixes in lots of sour cream and salt and pepper. I just don't know the specifics of how to do it but I know everything that's in it and I absolutely adore it. <3

Speaking of stuff that goes on everything...

Posted Image

Thai sweet chili sauce goes amazingly well on damn near anything remotely Mexican in nature.

• Brohoof 1

Hmm, I'm gonna have to see if I can get some of my mom's casserole recipies next time I visit my folks. She had a wet burrito casserole that was absolutely fantastic. Kept me coming home for years. :D

I'm not much of a cook myself, but I'm pretty sure I can acquire the recipies. I'll post them here for those of you who enjoy it. ;)

I am a great baker, but I only have a little experience cooking. I'm great with pastries, but the only other things I know how to fix is quesadillas, french toast, and shells and cheese.

I've been baking since I was a kid, cooking is a whole nother animal. I've been doing a lot of my recipes off the food network, and a lot of it is hit or miss. I try to remember the ones that are a hit, and keep them.

All I can make is oatmeal and toast. I'd say that's a pretty good start!

I'm supposed to be taking a foods class next term though, hope I'll learn something from that.

I don't cook much but I've been wanting to make this.

Wow, now I actually want to try that.

I don't cook much but I've been wanting to make this.

That pie looks a might complicated for a first time making pie. I would suggest making alternative pies. Like this one.

Moo Less Chocolate Pie

Ingredients

• 2 cups chocolate chips,
  • 1/3 cup coffee liqueur
  • 1 block silken tofu (the firm silken tofu, not the soft)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 prepared chocolate wafer or graham cracker crust
Directions

Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave, stirring ever 30 seconds. Stir in vanilla and coffee liquor.

Combine the tofu, chocolate mixture, and honey in the blender jar. Liquefy until smooth.

Pour the filling into the crust and refrigerate for 4 hours, or until the filling is set.

Ok. I know you're going, the h&*^l? That doesn't sound like pie.............and there's TOFU in it. Ewwwww............BUT SERIOUSLY. MAKE THIS THING. It's ridiciously easy, and more delicious than it should be. I have lost track how many people I have impressed with this pie. It's my secret weapon.

• Brohoof 1

I can basically make anything with instructions on the box. I've never tried my hand at cooking, but I can tell that if I did, I'd probably burn everything to the ground... I kind of have bad luck like that. It helps that I still have my parents to cook for me, but I should probably start making my own meals to get ready for when I'm on my own...

I absolutely Love cooking. I make soups, stir-fries, risotto, pasties, etc... I'm always making new things and I cook a lot.

I can't bake though, I've tried but everything I've ever made has tasted awful, practically backed bad awful. I don't know why, I just can''t seem to get it right.

I absolutely Love cooking. I make soups, stir-fries, risotto, pasties, etc... I'm always making new things and I cook a lot.

I can't bake though, I've tried but everything I've ever made has tasted awful, practically backed bad awful. I don't know why, I just can''t seem to get it right.

Um........how old is your oven? That might be the problem. Also, different ovens have different temperatures, so yours might be going at a hotter temparature than it says. And if it isn't clean on the inside, that can effect things as well.

Um........how old is your oven? That might be the problem. Also, different ovens have different temperatures, so yours might be going at a hotter temparature than it says. And if it isn't clean on the inside, that can effect things as well.

That might be it. I was using a really crappy oven when I used to bake stuff. I live in a new place now (with a different oven), so I should give it another go.

That might be it. I was using a really crappy oven when I used to bake stuff. I live in a new place now (with a different oven), so I should give it another go.

It probably was the oven, and not you. Old gas ranges can be good, but only if they're clean. Whatever you tried to bake prolly got nasty stuff from the oven in it. You should try baking now!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I like to think I'm a good cook. I've always had an interest in the area, unlike my sis whom my mom's been trying (with partial success) to initiate.

Cooking deep-frozen veggies is easy; same for pasta, rice, and grilled meat. Casserole dishes are usually trickier, but I'm learning.

I'm a master at baking crepes though, and a lover of sponge cakes ever since I discovered the basic recipe.

For info

Crepe ingredients (approx. 1/2 liter of dough): two eggs, a glass of milk, 5 full soup spoons of flour; optionally a teaspoon of salt (for conservation)

Recipe:

-Mix it all until you obtain a homogeneous, viscous liquid

-Butter a frying pan and heat it (not at max but still hot)

-Pour just enough dough to cover the bottom (don't forget to spread it)

-Flip when the top is solid (usually a couple minutes at most), let the other side bake half a minute

-Put the crepe down in a dish and repeat all steps except #1.

Sponge cake basic recipe ingredients: 3 eggs, a glass of flour, a glass of butter or sunflower oil, a glass of sugar, a teaspoon of rising powder; optionally a bit of vanilla powder, other ingredients depending on the cake

Recipe:

-Mix it all until you obtain a homogeneous, very viscous dough

-Butter a tin mold and pre-heat the oven (usually at 220°C)

-Pour the dough in the mold, then put it in the oven

-Let it bake until it rises well (approx. 20mins), check the inside by stabbing with a sharp tool

-When it's solid inside (tool doesn't get covered in dough), take it out and let it cool down

-Transfer into a tray/plate adapted to the cake's shape and size

Edited by Feather Spiral