Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

6 Suggestions

DusK

After using Pony.fm for a bit, here are a few minor suggestions I have.

• Allow the deletion of unpublished tracks from the dashboard and track editing pages.
  • More detailed profile info. Allow for artists to input custom links on their profiles with custom titles, similar to what YouTube allows you to do. Pull MLP Forums profile info for relevant links.
  • A custom "Date Published" field for tracks.
  • A refined track list on user profiles, maybe something featuring a miniature version of the track's cover image, genre, name of the song being remixed, stuff like that. I can supply a mockup of this idea if you'd like.
  • A notification area. This should be in a similar place as MLPF, with a similar fly-out when clicked imo.
  • Allow users to update their tracks. SoundCloud charges for this feature, so it might give you a step up to allow people to do this for free. This is especially useful for amending a track after any feedback received on it initially.
Edited by DusK
  • Brohoof 2

After using Pony.fm for a bit, here are a few minor suggestions I have.

• Allow users to update their tracks. SoundCloud charges for this feature, so it might give you a step up to allow people to do this for free. This is especially useful for amending a track after any feedback received on it initially.

as an add-on to this, why not add a "rollback" feature, where the server keeps a compact lossless version (FLAC) of all previous versions of a track?

Say I upload an updated version of a song to replace the previous version, come to find out that after a while, people stop listening to the track because I added a change that nobody liked. Well, poor me, because I stupidly overwrote the original version on my computer with the "new" version. This is when it would be helpful for the pony.fm server to have a "rollback" FLAC of the original for me to rollback to.

Just a thought.

EDIT: To make things a lot simpler, the "rollback" files would be only viewable by the artist (and moderators/admins!) by default, unless they decide that they want the listeners to take their pick of which version to download.

I was tempted to open up Fireworks and make a diagram, but I don't think that's really needed with this idea

Edited by Anorax

DusK, this really should've been six topics, not one.

Allow the deletion of unpublished tracks from the dashboard and track editing pages.

I'll work on this.

More detailed profile info. Allow for artists to input custom links on their profiles with custom titles, similar to what YouTube allows you to do. Pull MLP Forums profile info for relevant links.

I'll also try to make this happen. Pulling it from MLP Forums should keep things fairly simple.

A custom "Date Published" field for tracks.

This has the potential to break the various lists of tracks around the site which display tracks sorted by their publication date. I'll need a different date to sort them by if I make the "publish date" editable. In this instance, the "publish" date is supposed to refer the specific date the track was published on Pony.fm

A refined track list on user profiles, maybe something featuring a miniature version of the track's cover image, genre, name of the song being remixed, stuff like that. I can supply a mockup of this idea if you'd like.

This should be pretty doable. If you have any specific ideas, though, I'd be happy to see them in the form of a mockup.

A notification area. This should be in a similar place as MLPF, with a similar fly-out when clicked imo.

This will be a larger project, but it's on my list.

Allow users to update their tracks. SoundCloud charges for this feature, so it might give you a step up to allow people to do this for free. This is especially useful for amending a track after any feedback received on it initially.

I have nothing against allowing users to update their tracks; been meaning to implement the feature. Until it is implemented, you're welcome to get in touch with me personally via email or some other method and I can SFTP a new version in manually.

as an add-on to this, why not add a "rollback" feature, where the server keeps a compact lossless version (FLAC) of all previous versions of a track?

Say I upload an updated version of a song to replace the previous version, come to find out that after a while, people stop listening to the track because I added a change that nobody liked. Well, poor me, because I stupidly overwrote the original version on my computer with the "new" version. This is when it would be helpful for the pony.fm server to have a "rollback" FLAC of the original for me to rollback to.

Just a thought.

EDIT: To make things a lot simpler, the "rollback" files would be only viewable by the artist (and moderators/admins!) by default, unless they decide that they want the listeners to take their pick of which version to download.

Pony.fm already records track revisions with the idea of implementing a future "rollback" feature. I think it's feasible to make a track reuploader record revisions as well. I will need to see the feature functioning in a live environment to get an idea of just how much additional disk space usage it will result in, but it's definitely doable. I think I'll give that a try when I get around to implementing the track updater.

• Brohoof 1

I'll work on this.

Awsum.

I'll also try to make this happen. Pulling it from MLP Forums should keep things fairly simple.

More awsum.

This has the potential to break the various lists of tracks around the site which display tracks sorted by their publication date. I'll need a different date to sort them by if I make the "publish date" editable. In this instance, the "publish" date is supposed to refer the specific date the track was published on Pony.fm

Maybe a separate "originally published" date and upload date would work? After all, many people will have published tracks prior to Pony.fm, especially upon release. If not, I guess it could be left up to the uploader to put it in the description. That's what I've been doing.

This should be pretty doable. If you have any specific ideas, though, I'd be happy to see them in the form of a mockup.

I do, but Photoshop is being very unkind to my headache right now.

This will be a larger project, but it's on my list.

Awsum.

I have nothing against allowing users to update their tracks; been meaning to implement the feature. Until it is implemented, you're welcome to get in touch with me personally via email or some other method and I can SFTP a new version in manually.

I'll keep that in mind, though I doubt I'll need it in the immediate future myself. I'm mainly just thinking of the people that might want to amend recently-created tracks according to feedback.

Pony.fm already records track revisions with the idea of implementing a future "rollback" feature. I think it's feasible to make a track reuploader record revisions as well. I will need to see the feature functioning in a live environment to get an idea of just how much additional disk space usage it will result in, but it's definitely doable. I think I'll give that a try when I get around to implementing the track updater.

Well, you've thought of everything, haven't you. ;)