Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

About how tall are the ponies?

DoctorWhovian1902

After having watched a few episodes and read a few fics, I found one thing that I couldn't help but wonder: How tall are the ponies? I mean like height-wise.

The way I see it, there are really three heights shown throughout the show: The regular ponies (ie: The
Mane Six), fillies/foals (ie: The Cutiemark Crusaders), and the taller ponies (ie: the princesses).

Does anyone have any idea how tall they each are? I always thought the regular ponies were something around 4 feet on average, the fillies/foals about 2 feet, and the larger ponies maybe 7 feet. What do you guys think?

• Brohoof 3

I always wondered that myself. I thought they were pretty big considering most doorways throughout the show. I guess 4-5 feet is about right. If you count from the actual base of the neck instead of including the neck.

• Brohoof 1

3638.jpg

The question was asked a lot in the past, so someone did a bit of research and ended up with this. I found it posted on /mlp/, not sure if thats the actual source.

Edited by Tol'Satha
  • Brohoof 16

I assume more or less three to four feet, mainly because of this picture I have:

post-3285-0-15766300-1357326113_thumb.jpg

But you all raise good points. I'm still wavering, but I've narrowed it down.

However, Celestia... if the others are four feet, she must be seven-eight feet tall... :blink:

• Brohoof 3

According to Heart's Warming Eve, there's a candycane that is 8' tall. Using that as a scale, the CMC's standing next to it would be about 2 1/2' tall. When the CMC's standing next to the Mane 6, that scale makes the Mane 6 about 4' tall. [i didn't do this analysis myself, I found it online.]

The question I have, is whether 'feet' is the same measurement in Equestria as here? Just because the measurement is called 'feet' doesn't mean it's the same length. Who's feet were the basis?

• Brohoof 6

I always thought that ponies would be around four maybe five feet if we're talking about Big Macintosh.

Then Alicorns would be about Human height, Six or maybe seven feet.

Edited by ~Flame Dancer~
  • Brohoof 2

It's all a matter of scale. Since Equestria does not equate with Earth, there are no visual clues. The actual truth of the matter is that Celestia is thirty-five feet tall.

I agree with this. Since Equestria is its own world measurements here would apply differently they're so really is kind of in comparable.

• Brohoof 1

img-1052319-1-3638.jpg

The question was asked a lot in the past, so someone did a bit of research and ended up with this. I found it posted on /mlp/, not sure if thats the actual source.

How would someone know the relative height of a giant candy cane? That's the only flaw I see with mylittlebrony's logic there. I mean, even if they shrunk down a yard stick, that's in no way accurate. If you shrunk it a bit smaller, you could say a filly was 8ft. Just, ruler or yard stick minips aren't accurate.

I would assume they're about four feet tall, though. It makes sense. Ponies in real life are about that size. And fillies being half their size would be about 2ft. Although giant candycane logic is strange, it does kind of make sense.  :wacko:

Edited by azaleanoel
  • Brohoof 2

How would someone know the relative height of a giant candy cane? That's the only flaw I see with mylittlebrony's logic there. I mean, even if they shrunk down a yard stick, that's in no way accurate. If you shrunk it a bit smaller, you could say a filly was 8ft. Just, ruler or yard stick minips aren't accurate.

I would assume they're about four feet tall, though. It makes sense. Ponies in real life are about that size. And fillies being half their size would be about 2ft. Although giant candycane logic is strange, it does kind of make sense.  :wacko:

The measurements are nonetheless nearly on point. Adult female ponies are ~4ft, while Celestia comes in at ~6ft. I've seen more detailed measurements taken based off of the "Hearth's Warming Eve" candy cane, ones which use more than yard sticks shrunk down in an image program, and the ponies typically turn out at ~4ft in height.

• Brohoof 1

I think the fillies are about two feet, the ponies are about four feet, and the princesses are about six feet.

That seems like the most likely answer, anyways. 

I agree with the same thing. They all look about that size compared to the things around them and the other ponies as well. The tallest pony probably being Celestia, I'm guessing.  :huh:

• Brohoof 1

Well... I kind of imagined them to be the same height as actual shetland ponies. It makes sense when you compare the sizes of other wildlife to the ponies (ex: a bear, bunny, raccoon, etc). As for Celestia, I feel she would be more horse-sized. I don't know the actual measurements for shetland ponies or the average horse, nor can I be bothered to look it up... but that's how I think about it.

• Brohoof 4

img-1052319-1-3638.jpg

Thats interesting that it was actually confirmed, always a cool thing to know, I've actually been wondering kinda how tall they where, I thought 4 Ft sounded like a good estimate, but to hear it pretty much confirmed makes it all the better :D.

• Brohoof 2

I'm going to say 3 to four feet, not just because of the fact "little" is in the title, also because it makes sense if you think about it.  Cartoon ponies to humans would be a little bit taller then the waist of a 6 foot tall person.

img-1052319-1-3638.jpg

You also, in those pics, have to consider the height of their mane and such. And, in the last picture, Sweetie Belle is crouching.

This is something I've wondered myself. Around 4 feet sounds about right to me? I have to imagine if I was standing amongst these ponies I'd be taller than them to the point I'd have to look down if they were standing close by, but if I was standing next to Celestial I might have to look up a bit? I want to do my own comparisons with the objects of known heights in the show and come up with a range of values.

Very good question. A lot of different fanfics and crossover art that I've seen have handled that differently.

Still, the general consensus that I've seen is that the regular ponies are four feet tall, fillies and colts like the CMC are two to three feet tall, and alicorns are the size of a normal Earth horse.

• Brohoof 1

I did a little experiment, assuming that apples are of normal size in Equestria, Applejack came out around 6 apples tall to her back and 9 or 10 to the top of her head. Even assuming that Sweet Apple Acres apples are really large, it still does not reach more than 2,5 to little bit less than 3 feet to the back, plus about a foot and a bit for neck and head and a little bit more for the mane. Probably less.

We will never know, but in my dreams they are also two feet to the back and the size of Shettland pony seems too big for me. I pretty much imagine them of the size of children's rocking toy http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/madisuudam/madisuudam1008/madisuudam100800001/7533530-little-smiling-baby-boy-on-rocking-horse.jpg

I did a little experiment, assuming that apples are of normal size in Equestria, Applejack came out around 6 apples tall to her back and 9 or 10 to the top of her head. Even assuming that Sweet Apple Acres apples are really large, it still does not reach more than 2,5 to little bit less than 3 feet to the back, plus about a foot and a bit for neck and head and a little bit more for the mane. Probably less.

We will never know, but in my dreams they are also two feet to the back and the size of Shettland pony seems too big for me. I pretty much imagine them of the size of children's rocking toy http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/madisuudam/madisuudam1008/madisuudam100800001/7533530-little-smiling-baby-boy-on-rocking-horse.jpg

I assumed that the apples, like the ponies, are somewhat cartoonishly proportioned... But I have to admit, ponies that size sound awfully cute. C': And oh my gosh, the fillies! Can you imagine! They'd be like little puppies! But speaking of puppies, that would make all the other animals in Equestria rather small... Still cute. XD

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I always imagined them as small as the original dolls or maybe like, Dalmatian sized (21-27 inches) they are "My Little Pony" after all. But it's so much fun to watch you guys work it out. I think we should just assume a foot is a foot until we know otherwise.

Well, the show is called My Little Pony, so I'd figure they're about the height of ponies.

I agree that they're around 4 feet. Stallions, however, are probably more 4 1/2~5 feet.

• Brohoof 1