Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Saddest scenes in My Little Pony

Goodra

The flashback at the end of A Friend in Deed.

Just think, Cranky wasted his entire life in a futile search for Matilda, all because he missed the note on the back of her door.

That's just horrible.

• Brohoof 2

Two moments come to mind:

1) When Twilight Sparkle finally turns gray, after losing all hope in the fight against Discord. Probably the moment when things look as bleak as possible in the entire series.

2) Discord breaking Pinkie. "Stop laughing at me!"

To me, this is a sadder moment than the "my friends don't like my parties anymore" scene in Party of One, because there's still a tiny element of humor in that (the juxtaposition between being satisfied that she's right about her friends, and how reality hits her when she realizes that *she's right about her friends*).

But the Discord scene? Played dead straight. It was like watching a real victim of bullying and the serious effect it has on them.

A Bird in the Hoof - a few brief moments when the bird burst into flames and the ashes land on Fluttershy's hooves. Of course, the moment I saw the bird go up in flames I was instantly like "oh, phoenix" but still, poor Fluttershy thinking she was responsible for the bird's death.

Edited by XMark

This exact moment in time...

Posted Image

My eyes aren't very good, but when I noticed that Luna and Celestia were both crying, I kind of joined in a bit.

It's a good scene, but it doesn't help that Celestia is suddenly a swan. =P Edited by Jadefire

Well, it depends what you mean by "sad." I didn't really find any part sad, but I did find parts to be really touching-like-to-invoke-tears sort of sad. Like the example you posted above, it wasn't sad, it was tearfully-joyful!

• 2 months later...

for me it was when twilight tried to accuse "evil" cadence of putting her brother under a spell and shining armor FREAKED OUT on her and all her friends where mad and even princess celestia had harsh words for her. she was just trying to help. me little heart pretty much broke in two i was so sad i seriouslyPosted Image started crying lol.

• Brohoof 3

for me it was when twilight tried to accuse "evil" cadence of putting her brother under a spell and shining armor FREAKED OUT on her and all her friends where mad and even princess celestia had harsh words for her. she was just trying to help. me little heart pretty much broke in two i was so sad i seriouslyPosted Image started crying lol.

Yeah, that and the BBBFF reprise afterwards, short yet it's the saddest song on the show imo... :(

When the credits appear! :(

Or Lyra losing her muffin(?) to the parasprite. Never took them for granted again.

Ok, I'll stop screwing around. When AJ is told that their friendship won't last by Discord. Considering how the whole show is based around that I'd say it's pretty upsetting!

When everypony was upset with Twilight Sparkle in the Royal Wedding special. Both sadness and anger. Sadness at them abandoning her. Anger at them being so quick minded to hate her and abandon her.

There are three moments I will list.

• Twilight Sparkle in "A Canterlot Wedding" when Twilight tries to confront Cadance (Chrysalis) and gets abandoned by all her friends and even Celestia ignores her pleas
  • Pinkie Pie in "Party of One" when she deflates and says "My friends don't like my parties and don't want to be my friends anymore."
  • Luna in "Lunar Eclipsed" after the scene when she is accused of gobbling Pip Squeak, she walks away from Ponyville with her head hung low, in defeat. As her own subjects are afraid of her.

[media=]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJEgTLlv0TE[/media]

I forgot about that, bump that to the top of my list.

In season one the saddest moment was truly in Party of One where Pinkie Pie thought she was being abandoned by her friends. Truly the most saddest moment up until Season 2. In which, I have to agree with the OP. The saddest moment for me was when Twilight was rejected by not only her brother, but her friends and Princess Celestia. There could not have a single moment in her life in which she has felt more alone than in that instant. Truth be told I am very sure that many of us can understand what she went through. What it means to have the people you care about turn their backs on you. Even when all you were trying to do was help. Twilight's claims were eventually vindicated, but this might not happen a second time.

That being said fanon itself has it's fair share of sad moments. I am sure very specific scenes from Past Sins, My Little Dashie, and Fallout: Equestria stand alone in many a bronies mind. Even though I tend to keep what is canon as separate from fanon as I can. I do recognize fanon as being MLP in spirit. So for me I feel it's important to mention it when we talk about MLP. Probably one of the saddest comics out of fanon I've seen was the one where Fluttershy got her eyes hurt with a prank. Pinkie Pie felt really guilty about it, and even took time off to help Fluttershy. It's sad for many reasons, but also touching as a friend helps a friend recover. I am very sure that many of us know the value of friends helping you along your way. You have a problem at school. They ask you to talk about it, even if it's just an ear to listen ^~^;. This is but a part of the magic of friendship ;) .

• Brohoof 1

In season one the saddest moment was truly in Party of One where Pinkie Pie thought she was being abandoned by her friends. Truly the most saddest moment up until Season 2. In which, I have to agree with the OP. The saddest moment for me was when Twilight was rejected by not only her brother, but her friends and Princess Celestia. There could not have a single moment in her life in which she has felt more alone than in that instant. Truth be told I am very sure that many of us can understand what she went through. What it means to have the people you care about turn their backs on you. Even when all you were trying to do was help. Twilight's claims were eventually vindicated, but this might not happen a second time.

That being said fanon itself has it's fair share of sad moments. I am sure very specific scenes from Past Sins, My Little Dashie, and Fallout: Equestria stand alone in many a bronies mind. Even though I tend to keep what is canon as separate from fanon as I can. I do recognize fanon as being MLP in spirit. So for me I feel it's important to mention it when we talk about MLP. Probably one of the saddest comics out of fanon I've seen was the one where Fluttershy got her eyes hurt with a prank. Pinkie Pie felt really guilty about it, and even took time off to help Fluttershy. It's sad for many reasons, but also touching as a friend helps a friend recover. I am very sure that many of us know the value of friends helping you along your way. You have a problem at school. They ask you to talk about it, even if it's just an ear to listen ^~^;. This is but a part of the magic of friendship ;) .

okay what is fanon and canon i keep seeing that everywhere

I agree with the OP. I can't imagine how much it would hurt to have one of your trusted family members speak so harshly down to you, when all you are trying to do is protect them. Another sad moment for me, oddly perhaps, was in Spike's Quest. I found it kind of sad that he didn't even know how Dragons acted, nor did he know of where his true family was.

Fanon is what Fans produce of the show. Ie, Comics, Fanfics, Music, etc.

Canon is what actually did happen in the show, or was oficially stated by the Original Creators.

Canon usually refers something that actually has to do with the show, while fanon refers to material/speculation and whatnot based on the show made by fans of it.

I would of course would have responded to this in admirable time. If it weren't for the fact that I had to go for supper. However, it seems that many other people have helped you. The only thing I could add is that Fanon is not only stuff that is fan made. It is derived from the collective thinking of the whole community about specific canonical based aspects. What is fanon is actually the navigation and charting of ourselves and of our minds. We the bronies as we move as one. Yes some works stand out, amongst others. Works that in fact many people already identify with. Part of the reason for their popularity is their ability express common natures amongst bronies. Past Sins featured Nightmare Moon, but carried with it all the sentimentality of a "woona". It's no secret that it featured during a time when bronies were actively taking sides between Luna and Celestia. Past Sin in fact gave something that both groups could identify with. Either by intention or just plain chance. It is a work that must be read to be understood. It is a milestone in the development of the brony community, and with it carries the messages and mentality of the time.

Though there is one thing I can say about canon. It is most often used for deciphering aspects of everyday Equestrian life, and because of this it becomes the subject of discussion. Which therefore leads to ideas and concepts. These are then, some times, given a form of expression. Either through art, story, identity, etc. Most often it features in role plays. Where technical elements are often times used in forms of expressing that "identity". Which is why creative aspects outside of what is accepted is at times referred to as "God-Modding". Like an "OC" that has the power of life and death, and is related to every one of the Mane 6 in some way. As an example. Though yeah I hope this has at least enhanced what has already been said. It's more than I thought it would have been, looking back it now ^~^;.