Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Saddest scenes in My Little Pony

Goodra

I've Got to Find a Way song from Magical Mystery Cure. It was heartbreaking to see those ponies basically failing at life. If I wasn't so attached to ponies, that song fixed that 

There's this one scene I remember where Rainbow Dash was bursting into tears when after Fluttershy said her winter's going to be petless. That scene did struck my heart when I first saw it.

Edited by Photon Jet
  • Brohoof 4

But what about the super party pony named Pinkie?

Plus Rainbow Dash bawling about Tank.

Also, I've related to this a few times after living in Manehattan's Outer Burros for a decade and sometimes being harder of a person than I used to be to fit in with the general populous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDQir-lflBc

Edited by PiratePony

But what about the super party pony named Pinkie?

Plus Rainbow Dash bawling about Tank.

Also, I've related to this a few times after living in Manehattan's Outer Burros for a decade and sometimes being harder of a person than I used to be to fit in with the general populous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDQir-lflBc

Those scenes made me cry.

• Brohoof 2

Probably when King Sombra uses his magic door to show Twilight and Spike their worst fears.

The idea of seeing your worst fear manifest before your very eyes is both a scary and sad thought.

• Brohoof 1

I'm sorry, Moon Dancer. I've faced magical creatures, the end of Equestria, all sorts of things. But seeing how my actions affected you, that was one of the worst feelings I've ever had. - Twilight Sparkle, Amending Fences 

One of the best Twilight episodes ever. Other people cite Moon Dancer's breakdown, but Twilight's response was what got me.

Don't you get it? There's every color of ribbon down there. Every color... but... blue. - Applejack, The Last Roundup

This one is more of an "in context" quote, but Applejack being so devastated by the idea that she failed everyone, even in some small way, broke my heart.

Nope, I'm still awesome. They're wrong. But... then... why am I all alone? I hate being all alone. - Rainbow Dash, Mysterious Mare Do Well

It's a good RD episode, Mane 6 were jerks but gosh dang it it's a good RD episode

It's okay. You were just trying to help. It's just too bad I'm too dumb to learn anything. - Rainbow Dash, Testing Testing 123

another good RD episode

2.3? 2.3?! That has to be some kind of mistake! I worked so hard! - Fluttershy, Hurricane Fluttershy

A context based one; you're expecting Fluttershy's effort to translate into serious improvement, but instead it realistically has her only make modest gains. Fluttershy's reaction is sad and accurate. 

I can't fly. I just... can't. - Scootaloo, Flight to the Finish

Speaking of flying...

I get sad when characters who strive for goals don't reach them or especially can't reach them. I think it's because I'm a pretty ambitious person. 

Edited by Stellafera
  • Brohoof 2

Fluttershy and her performance anxiety/flashbacks in Hurricane Fluttershy. 

Rarity and Spike falling while he tried to confess his feelings.

Scootaloo trying to fly and feeling like a failure as a pegasus after Diamond Tiara bullied her about it.

When Discord apologizes to Fluttershy for betraying her and her friends. Even though Discord did something awful, I couldn't help but feel bad for him too.

Edited by Aurora Storm

When Luna turns into Nightmare Moon, and the ensuing sealing of her on the Moon.

When the Golden Oaks Library was destroyed.

When Spike and Twilight reminisce about living at the Golden Oaks library while they stand in front of its remains.

Spike's vision from King Sombra, that shows him Twilight saying "I don't need you anymore"

Boy, for a kid's show, this sure can get dark.

For me, it has to be the "and now we'll never do anything together" moment in the BBBFF reprise. Because I have a Big Sister Best Friend Forever, and she's moved away and almost never talks to me anymore. And now that she's engaged, her fiance is her new best friend.

Imagine if Twilight Sparkle and Pinkie Pie were sisters, and they grew up together. Then Twilight got a boyfriend and moved to Canterlot to be with him and get married. That's how it is for me. *sighs*

• 5 years later...

It will forever be this moment from the movie that takes the cake of tears for me. :( Instant crying material every time. Not even Twilight's home destruction, Tank going into hibernation or the very last song of the series come close. 

There are some sad scenes in MLP:FiM, no question, but we are looking for the superlative here. One of these questions which I find rather hard to answer. Pinkie Lament, Magical Mystery Cure, Moon Dancer breaking down, destruction of the Golden Oak Library etc. If I have to pick one of these sad scenes I think I would vote for the Twilight Failing Friendship scene from 2017 Movie  just because of how much this was so in Twilight's Character to react like that under these enormous pressure and fears which made it all the more real for me. Well at least from where I sit. Opinions may differ of course

• Brohoof 2

- Rainbow Dash crying over Tank’s hibernation (Tanks for the Memories)

- Twilight realizing she may have just lost her brother (Canterlot Wedding pt 1)

- Celestia tearing up over having to banish her sister to the moon (Princess Twilight Sparkle)

- Pear Butter’s dad forcing his daughter to choose between the pear family and the Apple family (The Perfect Pear)

• Brohoof 2