Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What were you scared of as a child?

noplsno

I used to watch my brother play a lot of Resident Evil, so most of my scares were zombie based.

Whenever I'd be going upstairs, I'd pretend there was a zombie on the staircase so I'd have to bolt up there to avoid getting eaten.

Similarly, I used to pretend there was a crawling zombie on my bedroom floor, so if I wanted to get to my bed, I'd have to make a heroic jump from my doorframe to the bed, which wasn't very far, but when you're little, jumping about a meter onto a bed is a heroic feat :P

I think when I was 9, my mum took me into one of those horror mazes where people jump out and scare you. Even though I knew they were just actors, I still managed to get scared to the point where I cried.

Your thread has been merged with an existing one. Please use the search feature to ensure that there isn't an identical or very similar topic already out there before posting a new thread.

Go ahead and make front of me, but i was afraid of pool drains.

I never swam to the deep end of pools always thinking i would get sucked up in it or get stuck and drown.

And i still am somewhat afraid of them to this very day.

The dark. I was terrified of the dark. I was always afraid that there was some sort of monster under my bed. Took me until my teenage years to shake the fear.

I just had a laugh at the weird serendipity I just witnessed.

On the list of Recently Discussed Forum Topics where I noticed this one (What were you scared of as a child), the next topic below it is Irrational Criticism. I was bullied a lot and had people turn everything I said did, and things others said I said or did used against me.

I grew up afraid of people, that they would turn on me, abandon me, or believe the wrong things about me.

Funny wee coincidence, eh?

I was also afraid of needles.

(edited)

Bees and loud noises. I've managed to get over my bee phobia by getting stung (now I just hate the buggers, especially wasps), but I'm still pretty jumpy with loud noises. Also no, GLaDoS, I don't have a guilty conscience! >_>

Edited by Celtore

There were two major things that scared me when I was a young child. The first is when my family was watching Jumanji, some parts were funny, but the giant spiders and man-eating plants scared the crap out of me. The second was when I was at my grandparents and my grandfather was watching some cheesy horror movies, but one had a vampire clown that kidnapped kids and after draining their body he left them in the streets ;_;

• Brohoof 1

The Little Mermaid. I was too young to understand the pure genius that is the classic Villain Song, and Ursula just terrified me. The dark scared me too, just like every other kid.

My biggest fear was loud noises. Emergency Broadcast System tests, loud TVs and radios, and the thief alert buzzer at this Home Depot that was faulty and went off every five minutes (and it still does). I despised loud sounds of all sorts.

I was scared of my father mostly. He was abusive so that is self explanatory.

But enough about that. The mythical thing I was scared of most was Baba Yaga! My grandmother used to tell stories about Baba Yaga. Always scared me before I went to bed when I was around five and seven years old. Loved my Grandmother, always told the best stories.

I used to be scared of shadows at night. That's right, you heard me. Friggin shadows.

I guess it's because I'd see different shapes in them at night when I tried to sleep, like seeing a monster or something in the shadow. Also, Teletubbies used to freak me out. And I used to watch a lot of documentaries and stuff when I was little (because I'm too smart) and sometimes the animals scared me a little. Not meerkats or anything, like dinosaurs and sharks.

But my biggest fear has always been drowning.

• 2 weeks later...

I was scared of the darkness as a kid. I remember I had to turn on every light on the way to my room until I got there to turn that light on. Then I'd go back to the begining and turn each light off until I got to my room again. Also I was afraid something would come from under my bed and get me. That's what I got for watching Are you Afraid of the Dark and Goosebumps as a kid!

• Brohoof 1

I was scared of sharks, the open ocean, dark, and my mom counting.

Am I the only one who now realizes that chances are nothing would happen when they're done counting?

I remember when I was about 5 I always had this white shirt hanging right in the door of my closet (It is a walk-in closet), and every night while I was trying to sleep, I would look over there and in the dark I would faintly see this white thing that just seemed to stick out. My window was right across the room so every now and then a car would pass the corner and send a small line of eerie lights across my wall, lighting that shirt up even more. I don't know what I thought it was, a ghost, a monster, or something else, but I know that I was dang afraid of it!

Also, pretty much my whole life, I've hated lightning. When I was a kid, it scared the hay out of me, but now I just dislike it. A lot. To me there isn't much point in it, and whenever it goes off, I recall old memories of cowering and running somewhere to hide just because a bright flash went off outside. *shrugs* Who know's what I was thinking at the time. Probably something a bit like "OH CELESTIA WHAT IS GOING ON HOLY COWSHMOW I'M GIONG TO DIE AHHH HOLY CRAP THE WORLD IS GOING TO IMPLODE" or something like that. :P

Mannequin heads.  Hear me out.

My dad was a wholesaler of wigs in New York, and of course his office would be filled with rows and rows of mannequin heads displaying the wigs.  Those heads *really* creeped me out when I was younger.  To an adult, the heads look obviously fake.  But to a 5 year old kid? They looked too much like severed human heads for my comfort. 

i have a really big fear of needles and bees. i have a huge scar on my leg from a needle from before i was born and i think tat has to do with my fear. bees i dont really know why

When I was a little kid I used to be afraid that the devil was going to come out of hell and take me away and strangers kidnapping me. The thought terrified me so much that I literally had nightmares about both of them at random (never at the same time though)

As a Child i was Terrified of thunder, I still don't like it, but it doesn't scare me anymore, Unless it's just like BOOM out of no where, But other then that i am good now :D

Well, I was especially afraid of a black shadow figure.

The most odd story was the reason for this.

Basically, I was young, three years old, etc. I woke up in the middle of the night, and saw a strange, black figure of a man with a hat like so: Link | I saw him start to walk into my room, so I covered myself with the bed covers. when I moved the covers back, he was looking over me (and possibly put his hat on me? I'm unsure.). I then put the covers back above my head and waited for about 5 minutes. Afterwards I walked to the living room and looked outside. I saw him walking down the street...

So, yeah. Odd.

What I was scared of as a child is the exact same thing I'm scared of to this day... oceans and spiders, it's pretty funny because I like swimming and one of my favorite superheroes is Spiderman 

When I was a child I remember I was afraid of spiders.  If a spider was in my room, I couldn't relax or sleep until someone got it out.  I actually couldn't sleep if any kind of insect was in my room, such as a fly or moth.  Spiders made me the most uncomfortable for some reason though.

I was also afraid of getting robbed, that's what you get for watching the local news.  It seemed like everyone was being robbed and I thought it was only a matter of time.

Oh, ghosts also scared me too.  

Around 5 years of age and younger: I was scared of elephants. I had several nightmares about them, and I was scared that they would suck me into their trunks.

Around 6-10 or 11 years of age: I was scared of vampires. I had a several nightmares about them.

15 years of age and older: When I started watching R rated horror movies, pretty much anything I'd see in those terrified me. I wouldn't have nightmares about them, though, at least not that I remember. Thankfully, I've stopped watching that kind of thing by now. 

As a kid I was scared of practically everything.

Though I do remember I was scared of things coming out of my closets, the dark (still am), loud noises, aliens and planes.

It didn't help that I had sleep paralysis and night terrors, I was scared of sleeping for a while there.