Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What were you scared of as a child?

noplsno

I was afraid of a couple things when I was younger, but the thing I remember the most was the deep end of swimming pools, and swimming in any deep body of water in general. I've always been a great swimmer, but I made the mistake of watching Jaws at the age of 6 or 7. NOT a good idea. So, for a while, I couldn't swim in the deep end without imagining a great white shark swimming right under me. 2spooky.

Strange stuff. Some characters on TV or something usually that would rub me a bad way.

We have a Donald Duck christmas ornament, its beak would fall off ocassionally making it look like demon face Donald, that freaked me out.

In elementary school we were shown how to cut an apple in half horizontally, showing 5 seeds in a star pattern. That freaked me the heck out.

When stuff tends to arrange itself in human-like ways naturally, it's a bit creepy.

What wasn't  I afraid of when I was young is a better question :P.

I was scared of the dark, of heights(I still am) and many other things.

I was also scared of Majoras mask a bit, just because of that introduction.

Thats all i can think of for my child days. Although I guess since I'm only 15 I'm still a child in some standards :P.

• Brohoof 1

I was terribly arachnophobic as a child. I didn't get over it (for the most part) until I was 14. I was also afraid of Lethifolds and Dementors from Harry Potter. Other than that, I have an overactive imagination, so I would turn everything in my room at night  into a Lovecraftian level monster, and every scary story was developed into an unbelievably terrifying horror. I spent most nights hidden under my blanket, but then I realized something. My mind was coming up with all of this horrifying stuff, so my brain is far scarier than any monster that could be out there. As a result, I stopped fearing monsters because they paled in comparison to my mind. I then gained a love of the horror genre and started turning my childhood fears into scary stories for others.

Since I lived with my grandma when I was 5 due to that mom was in the psychiatry I was very, very afraid of loosing her. I had dreams that she just disappeared, walked away from me, died etc... Ugh, it was terrible. I felt like shit back then.

1) The carwash. I was dead certain the windows would break and we'd be crushed. True story.

2) Walking into a room with no lights on, especially when you are opposite a mirror (like in a bathroom). If something was in there, I wouldn't know until I was in the room with it. Yig. (To this day, if possible I reach into a room to turn the lights on before I enter.)

3) Crane flies, also known by the misnomer mosquito eaters. I knew they were harmless, but as far as my instincts were concerned, it was a flying spider. (This is still kind of a problem... XD)

Edited by KaryDactyl

Hmmm when I was around 6-10 I was scared of Spiders (Still am) and Thunderstroms with Lightning. I would always jump with the thunderstorms and hide under my blanket. But spiders... still terrified!!

This may sound silly, but I was scared of certain TV logos. For example: The THX logo, giving off that very loud sound was scary to me for some reason. Some of the logos in this videos qualified as scary to me as well:

http://youtu.be/nAFR7_HNQZA

Also, when I was alot younger, I had a fear in the Spongebob Movie Video Game. One of the last levels had you racing in Shell City to escape the "Cyclops". There are moments where the Cyclops would randomly pop out of nowhere, and I never had the courage to pass the level for some reason :P

(Go to 11:50 to see what I mean)

http://youtu.be/U0YHPWAh24M

I also was scared of tarantulas, and I still am. Those things are just... Creepy.

Edited by Twi Rubix

When I was little my parents thought my biggest fear was of the dark. However, this wasn't really accurate.

I just had a nameless dread of doors in the dark with open doors being significantly worse than closed ones.

Anything could be on the other side of that door, ANYTHING!

I would spent all night watching the darkness watch me...

I know what you mean. When I was a kid, if a the door to my room was open while I slept, the light outside the door had to be on so I knew what was on the otherside. Even my closet door was imposing when I was a kid.

At that time I was about six or seven.

One fear that I still have to do this day that has it's roots in my childhood is fear of deep water. I always feel like some giant hulking furocious ugly creature is there waiting. And if I'm in the ocean I'm probably right. I can't even go in water on video games for fear of fish. One example is the Slaughterfish in Oblivion scare me, so much that my heart starts racing when I see one. Same goes for fish I see in person, outside of the water fish are okay.

I go fishing and what not, but I wouldn't swim with any fish.

Edited by Harmonic Revelations
  • Brohoof 1

I was always very frightened of deep water. I almost drowned in six feet of water when I was younger. Worse than that, I panicked and almost drowned my brother, who was trying to help me. Basically a pretty lifeguard named Heather is the only reason we're alive. ^_^

It was so bad I never learned to swim. I have no plans to do so, either.

Edited by TailsAlone
  • Brohoof 1

After watching someone play Resident Evil 3 I was afraid Nemesis would pop through my window and try to kill me. Even as a 9 year old I logically knew it couldn't happen but it didn't stop my imagination.

Moths. I used to be absolutely terrified of them when I was young, I have no idea why. Maybe because some of them were nearly as big as me.

I would look back and laugh, except it's still there. And I'm 23. xD

Damn creepy little things, they are.

Oh you know just the usual stuff such as, the dark, heights, horror movies,  thunder and lightning, spiders, bigfoot. Nowadays I'm just scared of heights, spiders, bigfoot and a new fear called commitment.

I don't really remember what scared me as a child. I was too afraid to play any of the resident evil games (or any survival horror games for that matter) back then (and I still have a hard time playing them now) but I used to love watching my brother play them (and probably still would now). 

But I do remember one thing that truly scared me as a child. It is still, to this day my most memorable nightmare. I had a dream that the skull kid wearing majora's mask was looking down at me through my window, watching me as I slept. That woke me up instantly AND made me check the window.

I was scared of worms, up escalators, crossing the street, and loud noises.  Strangely I liked the dark, snakes, spiders, bugs, and strangers.  Still scared of worms, I hate going out after it rains

Well this will be funny xD

My bed was always on the opposite wall from the window, but always facing it. Sometimes I'd wake up in the middle of the night and look out the window. The street lights would shine some light into the room... And there was this chair... -.- I kept my jacket on it, and it looked like a really short person... That kind of creeped me out, but I'd just go over to it and move the chair.

I was scared of the dark as a kid.I have a pretty wild imagination when I zone out,so it was easy for me to imagine all sorts of scary and dreadful things coming out and trying to eat/kill me.

I was also scared of the PS2 sound when it failed to spin the disc correctly. :v

I was afraid of the usual stuff. The dark, spiders, serial killers, etc.

I've gotten over them all, except for the logical ones. It's good to be afraid of things like death, because it keeps you from doing really stupid life-threatening things like juggling knives.

If you wanna get over a fear, learn more about the fear. Most fears are of things that can't hurt you. For example, those who fear sharks can rest easy knowing that it's more likely that a coconut will fall on your head than that a shark will attack you.

Murderers. Murderers everywhere. But honestly, I sleep right next to a window, and when I was young I was always paranoid that someone was watching me through the window with a gun. :( Stupid television.

I thought I was the only one >_< but I watched Doctor who episode Blink when I was 8 and I was not at all happy at our slightly creepy angel statue.

I was terrified of slenderman XD. But seriously I used to dream of him when I was really little. Every night there would be some thunder right before I fell asleep and then I would dream of static and a white man in a tuxedo. So yeah. I met slendy before I ever knew about him!