• Yeah, she is about 20% cooler, now.
    • I'm neutral on it.
    • Sort of made me dislike her a bit...
    • Ugh, they ruined Derpy!
  2. 2. Did Derpy Overshadow Applejack?

• Yes, she did!
    • Well, sort of...
    • No, not really.
    • What are you talking about? Of course not.

There is kinda 2 questions that I would like to ask here.

1: What did you think of Derpy and her voice? Do you think shes better than before? I though it was pretty fitting, and she was also pretty funny. She has really got to be strong to knock down pillars and wooden floors...

2: Okay, so this isn't really a question, but...

This was the first Applejack episode in a while, and I actually think that Derpy overshadowed her in this episode due to her talking. Applejack isn't really a favorite among fans, and Derpy talking should of been moved to episode 15. I dunno, that was just my thought.

Yeah, I sound kind of polar here...

Edited by TwilightRubix

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For one I think she's way better now that she actually "can talk" and her voice fits her like a glove. Also her clumsiness makes me lol, so I've picked the first option for the first question.

And did she Overshadow AJ? Nah, I don't think so.

Edited by Freckle

Derpy did overshadow a bit, she's technically part of the story here! She destroyed town hall... And that is why Applejack needs to come back with the money, and that's the reason she disappears! Pinkie's reaction to Applejack breaking the promise is really scary... Remind me not to break one, else she might kill me... :blink: <- The irony of this...

Didn't like the voice, but I don't care about Derpy unlike a lot of people. So it really doesn't matter to me what she sounds like. Also think she overshadowed poor AJ, and agree with moving it to a different episode, but then again, if... another Applejack episode is on the way... well... but I'll both laugh and be frustrated if Derpy appears in it and talks again.

Didn't like the voice, it really doesn't matter what she sounds like. she overshadowed AJ, and with moving it to another Applejack episode is on... well... I'll laugh if Derpy appears in it and talks again.

lol I removed a few words in your comment :lol:

Nah actually it would be boring if Derpy talks in it too.

I think it would ruin Derpy. Keep her as an easter egg.

My like for Derpy did increase after this episode. I used to be meh/indifferent but now I'm at interested/like.

If we're going by the episode, within the episode's realm, no Derpy did not overshadow AJ. If we're talking fan reaction, then Derpy DEFINITELY overshadowed AJ.

More Applejack episodes? I like her, but what about Fluttershy, she hasn't had a single episode in the season and Nopony is complaining? And when this episode comes out, three of the last four episodes will have been related to the Apple family, and I'm kinda tired of it

Derpy didn't really outshine Applejack. After the craze about her is gone, the episode will remain being Applejack's episode

Edited by Eenohay

I don't know. I was never a fan of her as a background character. Perhaps it's fun to find her at the most random moments, but I wasn't incredibly excited about seeing her speak in this episode. I suppose her voice fits her, although I'm not too fond of it.

To the fandom her appearing and talking did overshadow Applejack. For me, she didn't. I was much more excited about seeing an episode for Applejack since she only had one in the first season. What makes this last episode one of my top favorites from this season is pretty much everything after the Derpy scene (not saying it was bad, because it did make me laugh, I just thought the episode became really great after that).

And when this episode comes out, three of the last four episodes will have been related to the Apple family, and I'm kinda tired of it

I do agree. It feels like they have dominated this season. It's odd that it still took this long for Applejack to have an episode centered around her. Her little sister has had more episodes than her and I don't really like that.

I sat in stunned silence when I saw it. Part of me thought I was hallucinating. In a good way :)

But I loved it just because its a shout out to us, I've never been a massive Derpy fan. (Ok that was kind of a lie)

She overshadowed AJ a bit but to be honest I thought Pinkie really shined the most in this episode. I'm going to look like a crazy person all week, I keep bursting out laughing when I think of Raritycatchme!

I like, neigh, I LOVED what they did! Everyone working on the show is confirmed for best pony! (As EdD put it.) I'm still partial to the idea that Derpy is Dash's nickname for her and her actual name is Ditzy, but HEY they SAID IT! I say we, as bronies, compromise as we did with Lyra's full name. (Lyra Heartstrings)

Dash: pause for dramatic effect

Ditzy "Derpy" Doo!

. . .

Luna: Very well! Be that way!

As for stealing the spotlight, well that opening was REALLY hard to pay attention to, but the shock wore off and we got an Applejack western treat!

I like, neigh, I LOVED what they did! Everyone working on the show is confirmed for best pony! (As EdD put it.) I'm still partial to the idea that Derpy is Dash's nickname for her and her actual name is Ditzy, but HEY they SAID IT! I say we, as bronies, compromise as we did with Lyra's full name. (Lyra Heartstrings)

Dash: pause for dramatic effect

Ditzy "Derpy" Doo!

. . .

Luna: Very well! Be that way!

As for stealing the spotlight, well that opening was REALLY hard to pay attention to, but the shock wore off and we got an Applejack western treat!

NO.

She called her Derpy, stop forcing that crappy Ditzy Doo name on her

NO.

She called her Derpy, stop forcing that crappy Ditzy Doo name on her

I'm not forcing anything. I'm just trying to compromise between those that prefer Derpy and those that prefer Ditzy. I say canon is canon, personally.

I will give my opinion to each point individually, so I don't get confused.

1. I love Canon Derpy. She is adorable. She's klutzy. I love her voice. I love her lines. And I love how näive she is in the short time span she has during the episode. She is our pony, the pony that grew up with us on this awesome ride full of pastel colored talking magical equines. And it was heart stopping to see her showing up in the episode...

2. ...even though she did shadowed Applejack quite a bit. I don't think she shadowed her a lot, since she's only in one minute and a half, while AJ is in the entire episode, but her pressence in this fandom is so much she did shadowed AJ to an extent. She got a lot of attention from the bronies, but everyone who's not a brony and who just watches the show won't feel she was over shadowed. It's all about how you perceive it, and for me she overshadowed her just a little bit.

I thought that scene was great. I loved how Derpy is now her official name as well. I'd like to see her have more speaking roles like this one in future episodes, but I hope they don't overdo it if she does continue to speak.

I thought her voice was perfect and her actions went along with her voice perfectly. I hope to see and hear more of her in the future(but not to the point were its overdone. I'm probably one of the biggest Derpy fans I've seen anywhere on the forum so far and while I was excited to see and hear her talk, I didn't think that she overshadowed Applejack. I kept in mind that Derpy was still just a background pony(I know, sad right? :( ) and that Applejack was supposed to be the star of the show.

Derpy in the episode was a lot like how I would've imagined her. Although I thought that her voice could've been a little more high pitched, but otherwise just fine.

Although I'm not really happy with Applejack being overshadowed. But as what Ice stated, the next episode is going to be an Applejack one as well, so it's more of the case of better luck next time.

I think I do like Derpy a little bit more now. Not by that much, but a little more, mostly due to the way she demonstrates the effects that the community of pony fans has on the show.

However, I don't believe she really overshadows Applejack in the episode. Initially, sure, she probably did for most in their viewing of the episode, because the reveal was so monumental. But that would have happened regardless of who the focus of the episode was or what was going on. She would have overshadowed DISCORD if this had happened in Return to Harmony.

Even on my first viewing though, the reason I enjoyed the episode so much wasn't Derpy, but the quality of the episode as a whole, and on repeated viewings I barely even notice Derpy now. I mean, I still squeal in glee a little bit, but she's not the focus of the episode at all, and so, I have to vote in that context and say that no, she did not overshadow Applejack.

I wasn't very into Derpy before this, but now I love her. She was spot on and absolutely adorable.

I don't think she outshined Applejack, though. The pure excitement of finally having an Applejack episode still manages to shine through, Derpy is just icing on the cake.

As long as they don't overdo her clumsiness in future episodes (at least let her do something constructive) I'm fine with it, but she could easily become the running joke that overstays its welcome tenfold.

Aw, who am I kidding? Honestly, Derpy's official naming and relevance to the plot was such an amazing landmark in television history that they pretty much can't possibly do anything wrong at this point. Derpy 4 life.

Edited by Pony Joe