Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A suggestion for the basic uploader

CloudFyre

As I was using the basic uploader just a minute or two ago, I had a suggestion to make: could you possibly implement a basic progress indicator?

I was uploading a file that took quite a while, and I questioned whether the request had timed out altogether.

It doesn't need to be fancy - even something like this would work just fine:

Uploading...           <-- If you want to get fancy, you could make the dots scroll between 1, 2, and 3 dots. ;)
(81%)                    <-- Live feedback on progress.

Upload complete!  <-- Status message that appears after the track is finished.

You don't need to replace the "Uploading..." text with the "Upload complete!" text either - a simple chronological message list would work.

Thoughts?

The nature of the basic uploader (it's a simple HTML fileinput field) makes it impossible to get any indicator of the upload's progress, unfortunately.

Tracking the upload's progress necessitates a completely different data transfer mechanism that comes with either Flash, a mountain of JavaScript, or both - at any rate, it'll completely defeat the purpose of the basic uploader by adding almost all the moving parts that the "fancy" one has.

This is an inherent problem in the HTML spec, which provides virtually nothing to work with as far as file uploads are concerned. You can blame the people at the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) for it.

• Brohoof 2

However! sometimes when using a basic uploader (and I've noticed this in Chrome), that in one of the bottom corners a small little dialog box appears showing you the current upload progress (in chrome it's the same little box that shows up when you hover over a link and the link's url shows up in the corner).

• Brohoof 1

However! sometimes when using a basic uploader (and I've noticed this in Chrome), that in one of the bottom corners a small little dialog box appears showing you the current upload progress (in chrome it's the same little box that shows up when you hover over a link and the link's url shows up in the corner).

That little box is placed there by the browser. I know that Chrome has it, but I don't think most browsers do. At any rate, it is something implemented by the browser vendor, and is beyond my power to control or replicate using a "basic" file uploader.

• Brohoof 2