Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

books The Book Thread

Octavia2

Discuss anything you want to about books. Tell us what you're reading right now, your favorite book/author/series, etc. Anything to do with books goes!I'll start. I'm probably reading about five books right now, they're kinda hard to keep track of. Anyway, I just finished a book called Maze Runner (by James Dashner), and it's a great read! The concept is what really got me into it though. I'd recommend looking it up or something, and you can probably find it in any library.Oh yeah, and if you mention a specific book, please say the author's name.

Edited by Artemis
added prefix again
  • Brohoof 1

Haha I was about to make a thread just like this! I love reading! Have like 400 books on my kindle at the moment. Reading Dance with Dragons. I <3 A Song of Ice and Fire.

• Brohoof 3

I like science fiction, fantasy, and classics. My favorite authors are Issac Asimov and Orson Scott Card. The last book I read was Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift. It is pretty much an old british political satir done in the style of a travel narrative. The 4th part is pretty interesting to bronies though. It is where Gulliver gets stuck on an island where horses are intelligent (Houyhnhnms) and humans are beasts (Yahoos). The horses live in a utopian society, and he sees the visious beasts that all humans are.

Right now I am reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. It is a modern fantasy about the ancient gods. Immigrants to America brought their gods with them, and they are stuggling to be remembered and survive. I am only about a quarter of the way through, so please, no spoilers.

I enjoy a good book or two when I'm not poisoning my brain with fanfiction.

Some of the stuff I'm fond of includes.....

House of Leaves, by Mark Danielewski. To summarize it in an overly simplistic manner, the book is an analysis of a (fictional) documentary about a house that is larger on the inside than the outside. It has entire pages of in-universe foot notes, and foot notes for the foot notes. And features some fairly... unique page layout, as you can see below:

Posted Image

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Battle Royale by Koushun Takami

The various entries in the Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card.

And the Spice and Wolf, Full Metal Panic, Scrapped Princess, Twelve Kingdoms, and Haruhi Suzumiya series of light novels; all of which adhere to the longstanding the book is better rule. I love the animes as much as the next guy, but the books really outshine them.

... there are others, but this post is already long enough.

• Brohoof 2

Right now, I'm reading Plato's The Republic and Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream... for school.

But the last book I've read for my own entertainement was A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess. I had seen the movie by Stanley Kubrick before and really enjoyed and so I decided to read the book on which it was based.

It was a pretty tough reading, mostly because of the nadsat talk (some kind of fictional slang that is derived from Russian and in which most of the book is written) It took a while to get used to it and even then, it was pretty hard toalways fully understand what was going on (especially since English is not my first language). But in the end, it was definitely worth it. I'd say that I enjoyed it more than I enjoyed the movie.There were scenes that did not make it to the movie and scenes that were way more detailled and it was really fun comparing both!^^

Overall, I'd recommend this book to anyone. Especially if you're already a fan of the movie. If not... read it anyway! It's worth it!

Edited by Marshmallow

I haven't read a lot of books in recent years thanks to video games and anime/manga but one series that has always been on my list of favorites is the Redwall series and anything else by Brian Jacques. Recently I got Castaways of the Flying Dutchman from the library and I love it as much as Redwall.

The only issue I have between Castaways and Redwall is the fact that...well...it's a different setting and characters going through the same basic plan that Jacques uses in all the Redwall books. People find clues to help their home, they gather a group to figure out the clues, they solve the riddles and save their home.

But they are still fantastic books.

I've also been very partial to the Silverwing series. Youth fiction it may be, but it will always hold a place in my heart.

I tried to read the Lord of the Rings but never could really get into it. 70 pages in and they barely left the Shire. It wasn't until recently that I learned that the Lord of the Rings series was never even intended as a book series at all but rather just as a description of a world that uses a language he was trying to make because Tolkien is originally a linguist, not a writer.

I also remember reading Dune when I was 14 and I was totally blown away by it, I oughta re-read that one and try to read the sequels.

The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins

The Dark Tower Series - Stephen King

Past Sins - Pen Stroke and Batty Gloom (lol inorite?)

Physics of the Impossible - Michio Kaku

• Brohoof 1

Never read them.

The only thing with ice and fire I know is Robert Frost's Fire and Ice.

But I'll see what I can do, I'm always up for a good fantasy. :P

I'm not a particularly big reader, as I said above, because I get distracted by so many things but I've been starting read more lately. Castaways of the Flying Dutchman is something I started a while ago and I'm almost done. After that I'll read the sequel then I'll probably try to get into something else.

Perhaps read the Narnia books?

I love things in medieval or renaissance times but I love a little bit of magical stuff so not strictly "historically accurate" all the time.

Perhaps read the Narnia books?

Narnia is a pretty good series. I have no idea what genre it is though. It is scifi, fantasy, childerns, religious fiction, and classic all rolled into one. The ending definetly surprised me.

I have a ton of books on my shelf that I need to read, and two nights ago I pulled down A Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde. And then I went to the library last night and got River Marked by Patricia Briggs. And a cookbook on Thai food.

I read Dorian Grey a few years ago. It was pretty slow at first, but it got more interesting latter on in the book. Edited by Slendermane

Then maybe you watched them?

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7L2PVdrb_8

...No, but that video somehow made me instantly interested in reading them. I'll have to see if I can get them from the library.

Narnia is a pretty good series. I have no idea what genre it is though. It is scifi, fantasy, childerns, religious fiction, and classic all rolled into one. The ending definetly surprised me.

I read Dorian Grey a few years ago. It was pretty slow at first, but it got more interesting latter on in the book.

I've seen the Narnia movie for The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe and that alone at least shows me that it's something I'd be interested in reading. Plus I have all seven books in one volume so it's not like I have to search for them, I just gotta open it right up. :D

Anyone ever read The Hunger Games? I just finished it yesterday. Fantastic book, one of the best I've ever read. The plot?

In the future country of Panem, where the USA used to be, food is somewhat hard to come by, which is why once a year, a boy and a girl from each of the twelve districts in Panem are randomly selected to compete in a battle to the death where only one can survive, and the district that the winner is from gets tons of food and money. This is where Katniss Everdeen comes in. She is from District Twelve, the poorest district of all and it's up to her to learn how to survive the brutality of the Hunger Games and win. It's an incredibly action-packed book and I couldn't stop reading. If you haven't read it, you NEED to do so right now. Since I finished it yesterday, I'm currently reading the sequel, Catching Fire. And after that I'll read the final book, Mockingjay. So yeah. If you're up for a good trilogy, start reading The Hunger Games. You'll be thanking me when you're done. ;)

• Brohoof 2

Anyone ever read The Hunger Games? I just finished it yesterday. Fantastic book, one of the best I've ever read. The plot?

In the future country of Panem, where the USA used to be, food is somewhat hard to come by, which is why once a year, a boy and a girl from each of the twelve districts in Panem are randomly selected to compete in a battle to the death where only one can survive, and the district that the winner is from gets tons of food and money. This is where Katniss Everdeen comes in. She is from District Twelve, the poorest district of all and it's up to her to learn how to survive the brutality of the Hunger Games and win. It's an incredibly action-packed book and I couldn't stop reading. If you haven't read it, you NEED to do so right now. Since I finished it yesterday, I'm currently reading the sequel, Catching Fire. And after that I'll read the final book, Mockingjay. So yeah. If you're up for a good trilogy, start reading The Hunger Games. You'll be thanking me when you're done. ;)

I've never heard of this series, but they sound interesting. I usually like post-apocalyptic stories. I will need to keep an eye out for them. Have you ever read Alas Babylon or The Postman? Those are some pretty good post-apocalyptic books.

I am actually reading Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, even though I have to for english. It is like one of the books the school makes me read that I actually enjoy.

It is scary how much of this book is coming true in todays world. I loved the book, and am trying to find some other Ray Bradbury books right now. Edited by Slendermane

A friend of mine recently haggled me into starting the Dresden Files series. I finished the first book (which I've been told is probably the weakest of the bunch) last night, and thought it was pretty decent. Probably going to grab the next couple books around the weekend.

The Hunger Games

I may have to give that a look. Sounds interesting.

I haven't read much in the way of post apocalyptic books. Swan Song and The Stand are the only two that come to mind, neither of which I suspect are stellar examples of the genre. :blink:

Edited by Zoop

I don't read books much but I've got one I've been meaning to read called "Ico: Castle in the Mist". It's based on the PS2 game Ico. I've always liked that game and I'm interested to see how the book expands on the story.

Just finished Castaways of the Flying Dutchman. Definitely a fantastic book and you can see many elements of Brian Jacques' writing in it. And even though the last big only lasted the last ten pages or so none of it felt rushed at all.

That was a really good book, now on to the sequel Voyage of Slaves which I bought at Albertsons from a bargain bin/cart. After I read that, which I don't have to rush since it's actually mine rather than the library's book like the first one, I can take my time reading it. Then see if there's any new ones in the series and then I'll move on to Narnia.

I really oughta pick up reading again to get more influences than just Jacques for when I start writing my own original works.

Authors are the biggest thieves, as they say. Taking material and influence from many other authors and though not directly copyrighting many of them will even copy ideas straight from those who inspired them. I hear H.P. Lovecraft did that with like three or four other authors. They constantly used each other's characters in their books or summat like that.

Speaking of...I oughta check out the H.P. Lovecraft books, I hear they are amazing.

Oh btw, speaking of books you've had to read in school, what are some books you particularly liked even though you were forced to read them for school?

I rather enjoyed Night, To Kill A Mocking Bird and Elephant Man.

Whoa, seriously? I had no idea. Is it because they are so old, kinda like Alice in Wonderland? (Which I've also found for free legally)

Yes, despite what the big content providers would like you to believe, copyrights are meant to expire and enter into the public domain after a set amount of time. A set amount of time, I might add, that is being extended constantly so as to prevent any copyrights from actually expiring. Funny how that works, ain't it? :blink:

But yeah, it's all free at this point.

• Brohoof 1