Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sauron vs Sombra

Zalgo

Instead of a direct threat, TV shows, books and movies sometimes use a dark, cold, calculating mind that sits nearby...

Sauron2.jpg

Like Sauron, creator of the  One Ring, and the Dark Lord of Mordor...

tumblr_mdby1z7C3y1rpb34po1_500.jpg

...and King Sombra the dark magic wielding Unicorn who singlehandedly enslaved an entire empire.

Who would win in a battle to the death with no outside help, and no mercy?

(The two would start off in their physical forms)

Sauron

Sombra

A lot of people seem to underestimate King Sombra, which is understandable. After all, he didn't get the chance to do much. 

Let's look at Sombra's known powers and traits:

-Can turn into an intangible, shadowy form

-Can create illusions of pony's worst fears. 

-Can prevent someone from using magic

-Can cast spells that make someone suddenly become extremely afraid

-Has tons of other unknown spells 

"My crystal slaves..."

Edited by Zalgo
  • Brohoof 1

Sauron before he got pwned and turned into a flaming eyeball could probably beat Sombra. Wasn't he borderline deity or something?

Lord of the Rings fanboy time: Sauron didn't get turned into the flaming eyeball, he's still got a humanoid form: two legs, two arms, etc. He's actually sitting down there in the tower below the eye. He just built the eye because he was too weak to use his humanoid form.

Lord of the Rings fanboy time: Sauron didn't get turned into the flaming eyeball, he's still got a humanoid form: two legs, two arms, etc. He's actually sitting down there in the tower below the eye. He just built the eye because he was too weak to use his humanoid form.

Thanks. Still doesn't answer my question though, mister fanboy |'3

Sombra's made of smoke but he's not a deity, he's just a unicorn with dark magic. Don't think he could stand up against a powerful player like that, again, if it was pre-defeat.

Race: Ainur
Height: 8 feet 11.1 inches

Weapon: One Ring, Mace, and sword, Powers of Maiar

Sauron is encased in the cursed Dark Armour forged in the pits of Mount Doom bu the Black Numenorians. While wearing it he is near impervious to to common weaponry and bears a high magical resistance. While his true form is similar to the physic of a human he is anything but. Sauron is one of the Ainur, servent of Morgoth himself. His ability to tap into his power makes him unstoppable. In order to cheat death he poured much of his known being into a ring which he tricked the Elves into helping him create. This was the one ring, the ring that would rule all the other rings of the lesser races, the only that showed any resistance to this being the elves.

Under his command he had countless orcs, trolls, beast and other foul creatures. He is a master of corruption, his way even leading to the downfall of Numenor itself. He can appear in any guise he deems unnecessary, even that of a fair spirit which he used to trick the elves.

On the battle field he is an unstoppable power house, able to exert an enormous amount of god-like power on his foes. His mace is reminiscent of Grond, the mighty hammer carried by Morgoth. It is capable of sending entire battalions flying to their deaths. The mere touch of him can incinerate his foes instantly, as more than one Elf King has discovered. Unless you can cut off his ring with a luck blow, then nothing is capable of stopping his rampage.

Edited by The-Master
  • Brohoof 2

Sauron before he got pwned and turned into a flaming eyeball could probably beat Sombra. Wasn't he borderline deity or something?

I have to agree with this, Sauron could defiantly defeat Sombra easily (depending if this was before Sauron was defeated and weaked) 

And besides, Sauron has thumbs. Sombra doesn't. 

Edit: Put it's been a while since I've watched LotR so I might be wrong.

Edited by Fresh Meat

Thanks. Still doesn't answer my question though, mister fanboy |'3

Sombra's made of smoke but he's not a deity, he's just a unicorn with dark magic. Don't think he could stand up against a powerful player like that, again, if it was pre-defeat.

Sauron would definitely win. The time when Isildur cut the One Ring from Sauron's hand was the third time he had been defeated. He won't stop coming back.

Sauron- The towering former lord of Mordor, has the power of fear imbued in him. The creator of a ring which has the potential to turn something as innocent as a hobbit into a wretched bottom feeder. And just look at what he can do with his mace, physically, he's more powerful than a small army. Also, he's a badass. Even his eye is more spiteful and cunning than ten thousand men put together. Sauron has massive legions upon massive legions of orcs, goblins, wicked men, you name it, on his side... and the Witch King of Angmar and the ring wraiths on his side.

Sombra- Means "shadow" in Spanish. Quite a fitting name for a housedog, really. He's a squishy little unicorn (not even an alicorn, hah) who seems to have though it was a good idea to open up a red glowstick over his horn. Has an unhealthy obsession for crystals, which led to his defeat. He wasn't even in his full form when he tried to take back the Crystal Empire. Tsk tsk, what an unprepared fellow. Sombra has a couple of unloyal, pony slaves on his side.

So, in a nutshell, Sauron is one of the most powerful, most evil villains of all time. Sombra is more suited to be the unpopular pony at a fiesta.

Edited by Modphase
  • Brohoof 1

I would put my money on Sombra. Why? A good thikness crystal armor helps. If he would have manufacture scale of Sauron, he would just wreck them guyz. I mean, tehnically crystals don't sound too scary, but when again - it's the world where you can see unicorns and elfs. Which would mean, what crystals are worth something in forging. Besides, while Sauron might have a few cards up his sleeve against males, most active ponies are usually girls so... yeah.

I would put my money on Sombra. Why? A good thikness crystal armor helps. If he would have manufacture scale of Sauron, he would just wreck them guyz. I mean, tehnically crystals don't sound too scary, but when again - it's the world where you can see unicorns and elfs. Which would mean, what crystals are worth something in forging. Besides, while Sauron might have a few cards up his sleeve against males, most active ponies are usually girls so... yeah.

The abilities of Sauron would, without even trying, have Somber begging on his knees... literally. He wouldn't have to heft his mace once and yet still defeat him. Sauron also has abilities that are beyond anything Somber can achieve. Did you sink an entire Island with magic? Sauron did. His powers seem to know no bounds. He was in the end defeated by one luck swing.

At least he was killed by the Son of the King, and not just a pre-pubescent dragon and a malnourished horse.

• Brohoof 3

At least he was killed by the Son of the King, and not just a pre-pubescent dragon and a malnourished horse.

Haha good one :P lol.

I would go so far to say that it would be just plain wrong for Sauron to be defeated by Sombra. I love the Lord of The Rings too much also.

Looking back, this was an absolutely horrible match up.

I tried to find something for Sombra, and the first thing that came to mind was Sauron, his inspiration. ;-;

I guess I didn't really think too much there :P Sauron is a near deity.

Yeah, usually these match ups are closer, but I get the feeling that Sauron, being essentially a fallen angel in the Lord of the Ring's universe and the chief lieutenant of the dark lord Morgoth (who is basically the Satan of Middle Earth), would be able to quite easily toss Sombra's flank all over the place, if only because he has at least an equal, if not greater, level of magical power (as evidenced in his creation of the One Ring), is just as calculating as Sombra, and controls more resources than Sombra ever did at the height of his power (because honestly, I'll take the hordes of Mordor orcs, trolls, Haradrim and Southrons, Nazgul and Fell Beasts that Sauron commanded in the Third Age alone over the enslaved ponies of the Crystal Empire any day).  In short, Sauron would destroy Sombra hands down.

Now, you want a good match up for Sauron, since, as Chaotic Discord pointed out, he's more or less a minor deity, at the very least, cause I got one for ya; Sauron vs. Discord!!!  Or, even better yet, Morgoth vs. Discord, since, as I said earlier, Morgoth is the greatest Dark Lord of Middle Earth.  Again, he's basically Tolkien's Satan, and all other dark powers, forces, entities, and creatures, including Sauron, seek to fulfill his will.  Now THAT would be an interesting match up: Dark Lord of Middle Earth vs. the god of Chaos of Equestria!!!

Melkor3.pjpg.jpg

vs.

mlp___discord__lord_of_chaos_by_fiszike-

BUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!  I WANT, I WANT A LOT!!!!!!!!!!  B)

Edited by Batbrony

I'm going to go against my conventional nerd wisdom and actually say Sombra would win. My reasoning would be that Sombra's heart is even darker and colder than Sauron's. Sombra enslaved cute innocent ponies... even Sauron wouldn't be able to bring himself to do that. In fact if he ever saw a pony he would immediatly become a closet borny. 

...yeah yeah I know that makes about as much sense as Pinkie Pie teaching college physics.

Now, you want a good match up for Sauron, since, as Chaotic Discord pointed out, he's more or less a minor deity, at the very least, cause I got one for ya; Sauron vs. Discord!!!  Or, even better yet, Morgoth vs. Discord, since, as I said earlier, Morgoth is the greatest Dark Lord of Middle Earth.  Again, he's basically Tolkien's Satan, and all other dark powers, including Sauron, seek to fulfill his will.  Now THAT would be an interesting match up: Dark Lord of Middle Earth vs. the god of Chaos of Equestria!!!  

That's Morgoth, the guy that Sauron served and nearly brought the world to his knees. That guy is beyond the status of god, one of the fallen race. Killing him is neigh impossible (even though he was eventually killed). Sending up Discord against Morgoth is near suicide.

(edited)

Yeah, usually these match ups are closer, but I get the feeling that Sauron, being essentially a fallen angel in the Lord of the Ring's universe and the chief lieutenant of the dark lord Morgoth (who is basically the Satan of Middle Earth), would be able to quite easily toss Sombra's flank all over the place, if only because he has at least an equal, if not greater, level of magical power (as evidenced in his creation of the One Ring), is just as calculating as Sombra, and controls more resources than Sombra ever did at the height of his power (because honestly, I'll take the hordes of Mordor orcs, trolls, Haradrim and Southrons, Nazgul and Fell Beasts that Sauron commanded in the Third Age alone over the enslaved ponies of the Crystal Empire any day). In short, Sauron would destroy Sombra hands down.

Now, you want a good match up for Sauron, since, as Chaotic Discord pointed out, he's more or less a minor deity, at the very least, cause I got one for ya; Sauron vs. Discord!!! Or, even better yet, Morgoth vs. Discord, since, as I said earlier, Morgoth is the greatest Dark Lord of Middle Earth. Again, he's basically Tolkien's Satan, and all other dark powers, forces, entities, and creatures, including Sauron, seek to fulfill his will. Now THAT would be an interesting match up: Dark Lord of Middle Earth vs. the god of Chaos of Equestria!!!

Melkor3.pjpg.jpg

vs.

mlp___discord__lord_of_chaos_by_fiszike-

BUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT, I WANT A LOT!!!!!!!!!! B)

Hmm... This does seem like a much better match up.

That is, if Morgoth can even be killed :P

I'm less than one quarter through the Silmarillion, so I don't really know too much about Morgoth yet.

EDIT: or perhaps Sauron vs Discord would be better?

Edited by Zalgo
  • Brohoof 1

'm going to go against my conventional nerd wisdom and actually say Sombra would win. My reasoning would be that Sombra's heart is even darker and colder than Sauron's. Sombra enslaved cute innocent ponies... even Sauron wouldn't be able to bring himself to do that. In fact if he ever saw a pony he would immediatly become a closet borny.    ...yeah yeah I know that makes about as much sense as Pinkie Pie teaching college physics.

I find your logic... disturbing.  Sauron hasn't got one ounce of compassion left in him. He is the ultimate figure of pure and utter evil. Sombra's actions are almost pailed in comparison to some of the atrocities he's committed.. Sauron has his own little corner of hell set aside for him.

• Brohoof 1

That's Morgoth, the guy that Sauron served and nearly brought the world to his knees. That guy is beyond the status of god, one of the fallen race. Killing him is neigh impossible (even though he was eventually killed). Sending up Discord against Morgoth is near suicide.

I figured it was a potentially alright match up since, again, Discord is a GOD of chaos, and so technically can't be killed either, and I got the feeling that in "The Return of Harmony" we didn't even get to see the true extent of his powers.  I'd probably favor Morgoth as well, since, if anything, he at least has a worse sense of humor than Discord and is a far nastier dude, but still, I think it'd be closer than you think.

I find your logic... disturbing.  Sauron hasn't got one ounce of compassion left in him. He is the ultimate figure of pure and utter evil. Sombra's actions are almost pailed in comparison to some of the atrocities he's committed.. Sauron has his own little corner of hell set aside for him.

Wasn't really being serious. Sauron would obviously win. Sombra might have been roughly inspired by Sauron, but in terms of power levels Sombra doesn't measure up. Discord vs Sauron might be a more even match, though I think Discord would goof off too much and ultimately not realize what he's up against and get the beat down.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...
On 2014-08-22 at 7:40 PM, Darker said:

Any of the dark deites of LOTR kill these ponies.

Sauron destroys Sombra.

Morgoth crushes Discord.

I agree Sauron would crush sombra and both sombra and Sauron are pure evils Sauron-facts-feature.jpgthe_dark_lord_sauron_by_laslolf.jpg&ehk=full power Sauron would Destroyed sombra 

and I fear what DarkLord Sauron would do with the crystal empire would sauron rule the crystal empire or flat out Destroyed it See the source imageand I don't think the element of harmony would work on Sauron because  He is the ultimate figure of pure and utter evil.