Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Faust left: the series has lost quality since then?

MK15

99 users have voted

1. 1. Faust Left: The show has lost quality since then?

• Yes
    • No

Hy guys. Today I wanna to open a new discussion: after Return of Harmony, Lauren Faust, the creator of the series had not anymore involvment into the series. It's always more frequent to hear fans that loves only S1 episodes because she left. I personally don't agree about this since I loved S2 and S3 more than the first. But what do you think about? For you, the show has lost quality after she left, or not?

I wanna hear what do you think.

• Brohoof 1

The feeling of the show has altered a bit, but the quality has not changed. Just as matter does not vanish, but simply shifts forms, so too did the quality of our ponies. Faust laid out the legacy and made the episodes focus all around all the characters, while also giving a taste for how individual character episodes feel. The staff after her have done nothing short of a fabulous job in keeping up what she started.

• Brohoof 22

Definitely not. The show has not only maintained its quality, but has improved in some cases as well. So far, the third season has been met with great approval by the fans--and you know how hard it is to please fans.

Season 1 drew me in, but it's the rest that got me to stay.

• Brohoof 2

Although the show has certainly changed it certainly hasn't lost it's quality, but it's bound to happen otherwise it would become quite boring; Faust did a fantastic job with the first season so that team that picked it back up where she left it hasn't fallen short of making an amazingly good and unique show. Although the show has certainly became much more comedic in a sense that there is much more going on, I think anyway; but that's how I like it. But the answer is no, it defiantly hasn't lost quality. 

• Brohoof 1

I think the show has lost some focus since she left. One of the advantages of having the creator there is that there is then a single authority figure to impose a vision on things. Someone to definitively declare this to be canon and that not to be. Without that person, people are generally going to do what they want with no one to tell them no. For better and for worse.

So, while all the other talented people are still there, doing their thing, the show seems to be drifting away from the often complexly-themed and challenging episodes of Season 1. Which is not to say that Season 1 had no missteps or that Seasons 2 & 3 are terrible.

There is nothing wrong with the show. However, I have been observing that there seems to be expectations from the fandom that don't need to be there in the first place. There is no reason to pick apart every single thing about an episode. Either like the episode for what it has to teach you or simply express how you enjoyed it but not as much as other episodes. I understand you are more then welcome to express opinion and naturally I can't or won't stop you. But, they're still doing things to cater to the fandom in ways and I think we should be thankful for that. The show is not going downhill. If you believe that to be true you're doing something wrong such as losing love for the show.

• Brohoof 2

No it hasn't, and here's the why. The series had an improvement in the graphics which can be clearly seen when comparing season one and two, but it was for better.

Musical parts and medleys became more used and became a lot more essential to the series.

Characters were given more depth and more screen time was given to character who lacked it (AJ, CMC, etc).

In my opinion, the series didn't fall in quality, they just raised it.

• Brohoof 3

Of course not. Lauren simply left a staple for the rest of the staff to improve in and that's what they exactly did. Season 3 is without a doubt a success among the fans so that pretty much proves the show isn't loosing its quality. At least not until they start running ideas for new episodes which they will eventually.

The show has not lost any quality whatsoever, I love it just as much as I did when I watched the first episode when it came out, and it has only improved since then. Some may argue that the characters are more one sided now but I think they have developed nicely. It's still an incredible show and I love it.

The show's quality has always fluctuated.  Even back in season one there were episodes every now and then that just weren't good.  Likewise, season 3 has episodes that I just friggin hate (Spike at Your Service) and episodes I adore (Sleepless in Ponyville).

However, I have been observing that there seems to be expectations from the fandom that don't need to be there in the first place.

Bingo: there are certainly expectations growing within the fandom that shouldn't be there to begin with.  With Canterlot Wedding, the writers took something that could have been downright awful beyond belief, and yet they gave us a TRULY memorable episode.  Right now, the only thing I will say is the show does seem to be traveling along the "predictability" route when concerning episodes.  This isn't a bad thing since writers can never make 100% of their episodes unpredictable since fans will learn their styles over time.  However, after saying that, I do think writers need to refocus their efforts a bit, possibly bringing in one or two new writers for S4. 

Corey Powell wrote a great episodes despite the complains from the fans of being given panda rings. ;)

Of course not. Lauren simply left a staple for the rest of the staff to improve in and that's what they exactly did. Season 3 is without a doubt a success among the fans so that pretty much proves the show isn't loosing its quality. At least not until they start running ideas for new episodes which they will eventually.

Uhm... I'm not sure that it's a totally success since...

http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Rallinale/Your_opinion_on_Season_3_so_far

the guys in the comments of this article don't seem to enjoy the season so much....

Uhm... I'm not sure that it's a totally success since...   http://mlp.wikia.com...Season_3_so_far   the guys in the comments of this article don't seem to enjoy the season so much....

I didn't mean it was a total success since i too think some episodes are hits and misses but regardless its a decent season and a fairly decent amount of the fans like it as well myself included and you will always get someone who doesn't like a certain epsisode.

• Brohoof 1

Hello!

Faust left the building blocks for the show. The current producers are doing a fantastic job so far. I am sure that the show did not lose any quality.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think the show is losing it's quality. The graphics seemed to have improved esspecially true for me after seeing the Timberwolfs in "Spike at your Service, the characters seem to be growing up, and this season has solved many things such as Rainbow-Dash becoming a big sister figure to Scotooloo.

Things that could use improvment are their should be more writers to make it longer before Ideas begin to feel stale, Make episodes endings less predictiable, give a somewhat equal amount of episodes to each character, Don't have an idea come out of the blue in an episode(Crystal empire) and stop reusing the 1000 years idea.

In the end this season is my fav and i believe that the writers and animators are improving the show and making it appeal even more to people of all ages.

I don't think the show is losing it's quality. The graphics seemed to have improved esspecially true for me after seeing the Timberwolfs in "Spike at your Service, the characters seem to be growing up, and this season has solved many things such as Rainbow-Dash becoming a big sister figure to Scotooloo.

Things that could use improvment are their should be more writers to make it longer before Ideas begin to feel stale, Make episodes endings less predictiable, give a somewhat equal amount of episodes to each character, Don't have an idea come out of the blue in an episode(Crystal empire) and stop reusing the 1000 years idea.

In the end this season is my fav and i believe that the writers and animators are improving the show and making it appeal even more to people of all ages.

Oh god I hope they never render anything like they did they timberwolves again, that was totally awful XD but I agree, all in all the season is incredible 

The sad thing is, I heard someone say they heard Lauren Faust say somewhere that she doesn't have the heart to see the episodes that have aired after she left. I can understand that kind of feeling, and I won't let it affect how I think of the show (that is to say I love it about as much now as I ever have), but I can't help but feel a bit sorry for her.

• Brohoof 1

Sure, when Faust left and decided not to get involved with the show. It doesn't mean the show has lost its quality, when a show has changes it does not mean the quality or audience of show will change.

The way i see it, Lauren Faust setup a nice canvas for the show to grow upon, and then after that the show grew to be the wonderful thing it is today.

Wasn't Lauren Faust only really involved with writing the 1st two episodes anyways? And I know she left after S1 I believe. So really she's been gone a while anyways. And I think the show has only really improved from its beginings(Obviously there was times where episodes jumped around in quality, but overall the show has got better over time.

• Brohoof 1

theres that avatar again *in trance*

Anyways i feel after learning of her departure, that the show hasn't changed at all. the only times i feel when somethings wrong is when Hasbro decides to stick its neck in the production to get toy sales(I.E. A canterlot wedding-- although those episodes provided some nice songs which were later remixed). 

The sad thing is, I heard someone say they heard Lauren Faust say somewhere that she doesn't have the heart to see the episodes that have aired after she left. I can understand that kind of feeling, and I won't let it affect how I think of the show (that is to say I love it about as much now as I ever have), but I can't help but feel a bit sorry for her.

I forget which convention it was, but yes she did say something along those lines.  It mostly has to do in part to her original vision for the show.  Unfortunately, that's all I really know about it.  Main reason I think she can't look at the new episodes is that she still holds a bit of regret towards leaving the show.  However, I do believe in what another poster said, I believe on these forums, who mentioned that Faust probably wouldn't have left the show unless she felt it was in good hands.

There have been several times that i've heard Faust speak of the "Show Bible" which has ideas, sketches, notes, etc... for the show.  With that bible in hand and the great talent behind the show, i'm confident in its quality.  As others have mentioned, even in S1 there were episodes that didn't meet expectation. But even in made for TV shows, there is never really a 100% success rate with episodes.

So far, there are only two TV shows that have come close to that.  First is Samurai Jack and the other is Avatar The Last Air Bender.  Samurai Jack, imho, holds a 100% success rate for episodes.  Each one has a unique story element, flowing into itself until the end is reached.  Avatar holds an 89% rate with a few episodes not being to my liking. 

Right now, MLPFIM, over the course of S1, S2 and partly into S3, there are only a handful of episodes, maybe 5 or 7 thus far, that I feel could have been done better, or weren't that great. 

The one thing that I do think needs to be done is having Williams team up with another writer to make an episode.  She has good ideas, starting off like an awesome roller coaster ride, but really start to flatten out.  Spike At Your Service is a low point, and I do feel that it would have been better if Spike wasn't clumsy, AJ thought about keeping him on, and Twilight fights to get her faithful assistant back, learning to take her studies seriously, but not to be consumed with them. 

• Brohoof 3

I believe that the show hasn't lost any bit of quality since Faust's leaving.

FiM still gives me the warm, happy feels that I felt back in Season 1. 

'Dat Sleepless In Ponyville episode. Mmmhmmmm.

However, I do believe in what another poster said, I believe on these forums, who mentioned that Faust probably wouldn't have left the show unless she felt it was in good hands.

I agree with this. I also agree that Lauren's departure hasn't hurt the show in the least. Meghan, Wootie, and the rest of the gang have built on the groundwork she laid quite well. While Lauren and her husband deserve the accolades they've received for creating several successful cartoons, the silly hero worship from some foamers needs to stop. They're almost as bad as Trekkies who would kneel down to kiss William Shatner's feet because he's the original Captain Kirk.

• Brohoof 2

They're almost as bad as Trekkies who would kneel down to kiss William Shatner's feet because he's the original Captain Kirk.

Indeed: I don't want to see this wonderful fandom devolve from its evolution into an argumentative group the way trekkies fight one another over who is considered "best captain."

Same reason I can't stand the Star Wars fandom at times.  It has a lot of great material, yet I mostly saw people complain how horrible the prequels were in comparison to the older movies, nit picking over every single little thing.  Sometimes, you just need to sit back and enjoy things while you can.  Though movies and film will probably last forever, we as human beings won't. 

• Brohoof 1

Indeed: I don't want to see this wonderful fandom devolve from its evolution into an argumentative group the way trekkies fight one another over who is considered "best captain."

Same reason I can't stand the Star Wars fandom at times.  It has a lot of great material, yet I mostly saw people complain how horrible the prequels were in comparison to the older movies, nit picking over every single little thing.  Sometimes, you just need to sit back and enjoy things while you can.  Though movies and film will probably last forever, we as human beings won't. 

if everybody didnt argue within the fandom  i think it would either be 100% better or it would just die. either way you speak the truth about most fandoms.