I_wesley125

Do you read?  

163 users have voted

1. 1. Do you read?

• Sometimes
    • Often
    • Rarely
    • Never

I generally read sci-fi/fantasy, but I do read other things. My favourite author is Sir Terry Pratchett, and his Discworld novels.

I think i'm going to start reading those as well.

I like reading. I don't read as much as I used to on account of my sleep disorder. I used to read for hours on end, now I can't read all that long before falling asleep. 

Anyways, I'm reading a book now called "Welcome to the NHK". It's been a pretty good read so far. It's a lot more messed up than it's anime adaption. 

I have several books I've bought, and have to get around to reading. (One of them being The Stand by Stephen King.)

My fiancee loves the anime. I'll have to suggest he read the mangas as well. He'll probably love them.

All ... of ... the ... time.

Last week I crossed 'The Road' and 'Looking for Alaska' off my list. I need something less weighty so I will likely grab a self-published Fantasy title from Amazon. I've been reading too much literary fiction these days and I need a break.

I know what you mean. I carry two books with me in my purse and have a book in almost every room of my house that I'm currently reading so that I'm never without reading material. Plus I currently have three big boxes in the back of my van full of books waiting to be read.

I'm not much of a reader, but I do read Edgar Allan Poe's Tales/Poems collection, and I finshed T.E. Lawrence's Seven Pillars of Wisdom about a week ago.

I love Edgar Allen Poe. I have his complete collection. It's epic and huge so it stays home on a self so it doesn't get messed up.

Damn, you all have amazing taste.

@RPB - I have gone back and forth on that a lot after putting it down, and I honestly don't have an opinion. The analyst in me desperately wants to know what happened, but I understand why he didn't. Frustration!

@Mikami - You need to let me know when you finish The Stand. I always love hearing what someone thinks after reading my Kings masterpiece. The tome may be one of his oldest works, but it is one if the best pieces of genre fiction hands down. Some of my favorite characters came from that one.

@Ayvid - We started running out of room so we donated a few boxes worth last year. Been trying to stay digital unless I fall in love with a book.

• Brohoof 1

@Jeric - I know what you mean. My fiancee is always saying I have too many books. My dream is to have a library like the one from Beauty and the Beast. I'd die of love if I had one like that. I get free books from GoodReads every once in a while and my fiancee (who is a reader as well) just rolls his eyes at me and shakes his head. He has me pack most of them in boxes to keep in a rented storage shed since we rent the place we are living in right now until we buy a house. I switch them out all the time though.

I would suggest GoodReads to any reader since it's such a great site for books and reading.

(I don't know if that goes against the TOS. If it does I'll remove it.)

@Ayvid_Reader

Metro 2033 and Metro 2034 is about post-apocalyptic world.

More specifically, Russia - Moscow

So if you like that kind of books, you really should read these two. :D

I will check them out for sure. Thanks for the suggestion!  :lol:

You know, there was a pretty interesting book I saw at a Barnes and Noble one day called "Operation Paperclip", which talks about how the U.S. government hired nazi scientists and let them into the U.S. after WWII.

Very interesting. I'd recommend it.

• Brohoof 1

You know, there was a pretty interesting book I saw at a Barnes and Noble one day called "Operation Paperclip", which talks about how the U.S. government hired nazi scientists and let them into the U.S. after WWII.

Very interesting. I'd recommend it.

I love those kinds of books! I'll def check this out! Thanks so much!!!

• Brohoof 1

My favorite fiction book is a 'Faerie Romance' novel written in the 1800s by George MacDonald called "Phantastes". Would recommend highly to anyone.

My favorite Author is C.S. Lewis, and it's actually easier to say what don't I read; which, is most modern Fiction Novels. I might read some here and there but most of them my reaction is just kinda "Meh", really.

My favourite author is Stephen King. I've read quite a few of his books and have many more on my bookshelf that I've bought but have yet to read. I don't actually read any other adult contemporary fiction other than Stephen King. Despite that, I think I can say with certainty that I would never like any adult contemporary fiction writer more than Stephen King; his books are just SO well written with such extremely realistic characters and emotional depth, and they really suck you into the plot and can also be thought-provoking at times. I also read young adult fiction (though I haven't in a while; the last one was The Hunger Games, which I read about two and a half years ago) and classic novels, such as Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea (which is one of my favourites), Catch-22 (which I'm rereading currently), and my all time favourite novel, Ulysses, by James Joyce. That is one hek of a challenging read, but it's also the rare kind of novel that you can read over and over again and get more out of it each time. Also, I love the Harry Potter series, it's definitely my favourite book series. Harry Potter is also the kind of thing you can reread and still enjoy it even if you've read it multiple times before. When I was younger, I would read pretty much anything; when I was really young I would sometimes just take a random book from the school library having no idea what it'd be about and read it. I wish I did that more often now, but since I don't have as much time to read anymore, I've become very picky about what I read, which is why I usually read classic novels and novels I know will be good, rather than take a chance on a book and risk wasting my time in case it isn't good. Currently on my list of books to read: "Looking for Alaska" and "The Fault in Our Stars," both by John Green; "The Return of the King," so I can finally say I've read The Lord of the Rings (I started reading it a while ago and have never finished); and maybe some other fantasy books that have been recommended to me by people. 

I love to read.  I don't make as much time for it as I should.  Usually because I'm crusing internet forums instead!  ;P

My favorite books are Dune by Herbert and Black Jewels by Anne Bishop.  Anypony who like sci-fi and/or fantasy MUST read those.  Even if you don't like sci-fi or fantasy, you'll probably still love them.

I just recently purchased the Black Company series by...by all means.  Um...dang, who wrote that?  Uhh...Glen Cook!  That's right.  Can't wait to get started on those.  I also have the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson.  Still haven't read those.  Dang, I need to make more time to read.

@Ayvid_Reader - I also love the Read it and Weep episode.  The best part is during a Friend in Deed when Pinkie is trying to get advice from Twi, and Rainbow is just chilling in Twi's library reading Daring Do, just kinda reclining on the steps.  So friggin awesome.  She was so afraid of becoming an egghead just a few episodes earlier, and now it's like reading is the new cool thing to do.  It's just like, "Yeah, this is my weekly reading time with Twi.  Anypony got a problem with that?"  Rainbow makes it cool to read.  And what a great message for kids!

One of my four bookshelves!

O.O I love how colorful your books are! Plus I love that you have more than one. I had a ton, but when we moved I had to get rid of them... :(

I like adventure,fantasy,and sci-fi,especially Maximum Ride!  

I've never heard of Maximum Ride. I'll have to look into it.

My favorite fiction book is a 'Faerie Romance' novel written in the 1800s by George MacDonald called "Phantastes". Would recommend highly to anyone.

My favorite Author is C.S. Lewis, and it's actually easier to say what don't I read; which, is most modern Fiction Novels. I might read some here and there but most of them my reaction is just kinda "Meh", really.

Ooh I'll have to check out that "Phantastes" book. I know how you are about being able to say what you don't read easier than what you do lol.

My favourite author is Stephen King. I've read quite a few of his books and have many more on my bookshelf that I've bought but have yet to read. I don't actually read any other adult contemporary fiction other than Stephen King. Despite that, I think I can say with certainty that I would never like any adult contemporary fiction writer more than Stephen King; his books are just SO well written with such extremely realistic characters and emotional depth, and they really suck you into the plot and can also be thought-provoking at times. I also read young adult fiction (though I haven't in a while; the last one was The Hunger Games, which I read about two and a half years ago) and classic novels, such as Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea (which is one of my favourites), Catch-22 (which I'm rereading currently), and my all time favourite novel, Ulysses, by James Joyce. That is one hek of a challenging read, but it's also the rare kind of novel that you can read over and over again and get more out of it each time. Also, I love the Harry Potter series, it's definitely my favourite book series. Harry Potter is also the kind of thing you can reread and still enjoy it even if you've read it multiple times before. When I was younger, I would read pretty much anything; when I was really young I would sometimes just take a random book from the school library having no idea what it'd be about and read it. I wish I did that more often now, but since I don't have as much time to read anymore, I've become very picky about what I read, which is why I usually read classic novels and novels I know will be good, rather than take a chance on a book and risk wasting my time in case it isn't good. Currently on my list of books to read: "Looking for Alaska" and "The Fault in Our Stars," both by John Green; "The Return of the King," so I can finally say I've read The Lord of the Rings (I started reading it a while ago and have never finished); and maybe some other fantasy books that have been recommended to me by people. 

I love the Harry Potter series too! I'm such a big HP nerd lol. I've not read "The Fault in Our Stars" but I do plan to. I even bought it just so that I could read it. The LOTR series is a hard read. I've only read The Hobbit so far...

I love to read.  I don't make as much time for it as I should.  Usually because I'm crusing internet forums instead!  ;P

My favorite books are Dune by Herbert and Black Jewels by Anne Bishop.  Anypony who like sci-fi and/or fantasy MUST read those.  Even if you don't like sci-fi or fantasy, you'll probably still love them.

I just recently purchased the Black Company series by...by all means.  Um...dang, who wrote that?  Uhh...Glen Cook!  That's right.  Can't wait to get started on those.  I also have the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson.  Still haven't read those.  Dang, I need to make more time to read.

@Ayvid_Reader - I also love the Read it and Weep episode.  The best part is during a Friend in Deed when Pinkie is trying to get advice from Twi, and Rainbow is just chilling in Twi's library reading Daring Do, just kinda reclining on the steps.  So friggin awesome.  She was so afraid of becoming an egghead just a few episodes earlier, and now it's like reading is the new cool thing to do.  It's just like, "Yeah, this is my weekly reading time with Twi.  Anypony got a problem with that?"  Rainbow makes it cool to read.  And what a great message for kids!

I know I love those epsidoes! I've noticed after getting Rainbow to read the first Daring Do book that there have been a lot more episodes around reading and books. Daring Don't was a great episode! It made me so happy! I have a ton of authors I would love to meet and if they turned out half as epic as that I'd die from bliss. I love that they are sending the message to read as well! I know so many people my age (25) who hate to read and I'm just like "Wha...? But...How?" I can't believe it. I have it on my bucketlist to read 1000 more books and I'm already like 4% or 5% done with it.

One of my four bookshelves!

O.O I love how colorful your books are! Plus I love that you have more than one. I had a ton, but when we moved I had to get rid of them... :(

I like adventure,fantasy,and sci-fi,especially Maximum Ride!  

I've never heard of Maximum Ride. I'll have to look into it.

Ooh I'll have to check out that "Phantastes" book. I know how you are about being able to say what you don't read easier than what you do lol.

I love the Harry Potter series too! I'm such a big HP nerd lol. I've not read "The Fault in Our Stars" but I do plan to. I even bought it just so that I could read it. The LOTR series is a hard read. I've only read The Hobbit so far...

I know I love those epsidoes! I've noticed after getting Rainbow to read the first Daring Do book that there have been a lot more episodes around reading and books. Daring Don't was a great episode! It made me so happy! I have a ton of authors I would love to meet and if they turned out half as epic as that I'd die from bliss. I love that they are sending the message to read as well! I know so many people my age (25) who hate to read and I'm just like "Wha...? But...How?" I can't believe it. I have it on my bucketlist to read 1000 more books and I'm already like 4% or 5% done with it.

• Brohoof 1