Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you have an Auditory or Visual memory?

notdog1996

17 users have voted

1. 1. What type of memory do you have?

• Auditory
    • Visual
    • A mix of both

The question is simple, which memory do you have?

A person who has an auditory memory will easily remember a conversation word per word and will memorize better by saying written things out loud.  They always listen carefully to what someone says.

A person with a visual memory will be better at remembering maps and sketches and will be more drawn to analyse a person's gesture and facial expression.  They memorize better by drawing sketches.

So, I'm a person with an auditory memory.  I can remember things said to me perfectly.  If it was said a long time ago, I might say it in my own words but the message will remain intact (a year or two works fine). I will struggle to remember things by simply reading them but will memorize them instantly by saying them out loud. 

So what memory do you have?

Photographic memory for sure. I know everyone I know's telephone number because they wrote it down for me. Don't know mine because I've never read it on a paper.

I should get on that, shouldn't I?

My memory is a bit extreme to one side, so yea.

And while this is useful, I have terrible eyesight and really good hearing.

Just, why?

Edited by Firebolt
  • Brohoof 1

Oh my god yes I do! I have an auditory memory. I can remember exactly what someone said exactly how they said it. It kinda rustles my jimmies when people don't say things I've memorized right.

Edited by Betez

Hm.. Well to be honest I'm not totally sure, I mean I think i have a visual memory, because almost all the stuff I remember through pictures in my mind, but there is a some things I remember audiotory.

For instance, I consider myself to be pretty decent with names, even when I forget names I can remember them sometimes just by trying to remember someone else saying their name, its quiet strange but it actually seems to work out if I do it right most of the time. Therefore I'm pretty good at remembering names, as long as someones said it to me, or if someones said their name before. I don't use it daily or anything, most of the time I'll have to think about using it, but it works out as a good technique regardless. Alot of times I just happen to remember their names somehow, who knows maybe I subconsciously do my whole remember someone saying the name thing, but I don't ever recognize it happening.

Thats not to say I'm perfect with names.. I still need to hear it once or twice or sometimes more depending. And I don't always match it to their faces at first.

So thats why I just put a mix, since I don't really know for sure.

Its hard to examine what I subconsciously do :P.

Edited by Zygen
  • Brohoof 1

Pattern detection is something I'm pretty good at, and I remember sequences and colors vividly. I also have a tendency to remember a statement or conversation word for word assuming I can recall it at all. So I would say a fair bit of both, but the way I remember things is colored by my unusual way of thinking.

Go watch the Star Trek episode Darmok if you've never seen it. My way of thinking isn't too dissimilar from the Tamarians. If somebody asks me how I'm doing, my instinct is to say something like "Wulfgar in Luskan" than to go into detail or give them a canned response of "fine." I never do, but that's my inclination. Much of my thinking is done with allegory and metaphorical imagery, and it bleeds into my memories too. It makes it hard to remember some things properly unless it happened quite some time ago. My long-term memory is fantastic, my short-term memory is fair, and my working memory is terrible.

Both, but each in different ways.  I consider my visual memory pretty strong, especially my own thoughts.  If I imagine something like a scene playing out in my head, I'll be able to recall it the next day basically spot-on.  This also helps me remember my dreams pretty clearly.

My auditory memory is completely uneven.  It's usually difficult for me to remember something that's said to me in conversation, but anything nonverbal, i.e. the small intricacies of an instrumental song, comes to me naturally.

Edited by Pony Joe

A bit of both. Actually more precisely a lot of both. To such an extent that when I was in school it required no effort on my part in anything except math. I'd memorize the notes before I even wrote them down. It greatly helped me get through school, I'll tell you that.

Not to brag.

But that's my long term memory, my short term memory is pretty bad. I can memorize notes and factoids but I have trouble focusing on what I'm doing while I'm doing it. Sometimes I'll forget what i'm saying mid-sentence, etc...

• Brohoof 1

I border on full eidetic memory. But I guess it's based mostly on visual; when I go to remember something for, say, a history test, I picture the page of the book in my head and just start reading it.

Which isn't as good as it sounds...I've gotten really lazy about reading lately because school was never a challenge. Then I met AP U.S. History. 

I have a very selective memory and I only remember things that I specifically want to remember such as memorizing a dictionary of a new language that I'm learning or a specific painting/video game moment.

• 10 years later...