Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which fanfic is more well-known: Cupcakes or My Little Dashie?

SuperUltimateBrony

If I were to guess, I'd say My Little Dashie. Sure, everypony, whether they are a brony or not, has heard of the story. But there's something so perfect about the way My Little Dashie is written, makes me believe that more people have read it than Cupcakes.

Which fanfiction do you think is more well known by the fandom?

If I were to guess, I'd say My Little Dashie. Sure, everypony, whether they are a brony or not, has heard of the story. But there's something so perfect about the way My Little Dashie is written, makes me believe that more people have read it than Cupcakes.

Cupcakes is way more well known, but infinitely more awful. But to be honest? I am not a big fan of either of them, I just don't think they are very well written. But yes, cupcakes is more well known

• Brohoof 3

My Little Dashie is a little more well known. At least I hope. That would be pretty sad if Cupcakes was the fic we were best known for.

At first I thought you meant "which one do you like better?" For me that would also be MLD, by default, because I don't read stories where authors kill the ponies.

I'm tempted to write a fic where I team up with Applejack and we go back in time to before Cupcakes was written. She bucks the author in the head just hard enough to make him forget the idea and prevents Cupcakes from ever happening. The end. But FIMfiction would reject it and accept 10 more gorefics, so you can't win. -_-

Edited by TailsAlone
  • Brohoof 4

by the fandom? If that is the case cupcakes as well as my little dashie are equally famous, if only because they are polar opposites :P

Edited by XxSAINExX

Hopefully My Little Dashie. I've never read Cupcakes since I have no tolerance for gore and I was never particularly stricken with a desire to read about my second favorite pony carving up my favorite. I did read MLD, and I thought it was pretty good, even if I think that there are other fanfics that may be more worthy of the attention it has received.

I can't really say which one is more (in)famous, but I would hope the one that embodies the more positive heartfelt nature of the fandom.

• Brohoof 2

I'd suppose that Cupcakes is the most well known, but My Little Dashie is a close second. I honestly think that both are overrated. My Little Dashie was sweet, made me cry, and made me scared of growing up.

This is me reading Cupcakes at 1:00 AM: Okay, I can't sleep. Let's see what all the fuss is about. Let's see. Blood, blood, blood, choppy choppy stabby stabby. Ooh. That sounds painful. Hmm. More blood and pain. This is stupid. It's a big, red, monotone with some really bad puns thrown in.

This is me a few minutes after reading Cupcakes (I have a very vivid imagination): Oh! Ow! I don't even have wings and it hurts so bad when you cut them off! Aagh! Everything hurts!

I'm serious. I felt Pinkie taking me apart.

i started cupcakes and couldn't finish it. i found it by accident and was stunned when i found out what it was and i will never go back to it  but my little dashie i relay good. :lol:  i'm kinda surprised i like it so much. i'm listening to it now and its great.

I actually think Cupcakes is the most popular fic out there. My Little Dashie seems to have died in popularity. I prefer that story. I love grim dark but Cupcakes is just so poorly written. Dashie may not be a masterpiece but I do like it better.

I prefer Dashie. Gorefics don't disturb me the way they use to I guess I got use to them. Anyway I think both stories are equally popular since both get an equal amount of recognition and criticism. MLD has been talked about some it was made and it is very well written (Even so popular its enough to get published as an actual book).

Id go with MLD because I don't want him bronies and see Cupcakes as that's not what were about. MLD shows some of them even though there are others that show that better.

• Brohoof 1

Both of these fan fictions are over-hyped and not very well written in my honest opinion.

But I would say My Little Dashie is more popular than Cupcakes.

I mean, c'mon. There is a My Little Dashie movie in the works!

Title edited so it's more clear what the question you're asking is. As far as well-known goes it's sometimes hard to differentiate. They're two of the most known fanfics out there, and both of them get endless amounts of fan art and other things made for them. They're also vastly different type of stories: grimdark and slice of life. Thusly, they're more popular in certain groups and communities of bronies on the internet, and less popular in others.

My personal preference is My Little Dashie. It's more well-written than Cupcakes which started as nothing but a trollfic, and I despise grimdark as a rule of thumb, too :3 But as far as well-known goes, I'd guess they're equal for different reasons.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I've read both and I can definitely say that both are very overrated(not a bad thing).

but I'd have to say "my little dashie" was better and is quite a bit more popular than cupcakes. Cupcakes wasn't necessarily "bad" but the overall storyline wasn't there.

People seem to be stating their preference of the two fan fictions. That's not what the thread was asking - it wants to know which one is more well known, the most discussed and a general recognisable name in the fan fiction world.

I think the two are just about neck and neck. While MLD has the most views on Fimfiction, and has a film in the works, it doesn't nearly get as much controversy as Cupcakes on other pony sites - Cupcakes is acknowledged as inferior in quality but some of the ethical themes have spawned a massive stir. If you were to ask someone to name any My Little Pony fan fiction, Cupcakes would be the most popular answer - and if you were to ask someone to name their favourite My Little Pony fan fiction, MLD would be the most popular. 

• Brohoof 1

Seeing as they are different genres, I really can't say. Which is why it makes more sense to compare Cupcakes and Rainbow Factory (Even though Rainbow Factory is infinitely better).

I would say Cupcakes, actually. Mainly because it was the first fic to be posted on 4chan. Plus it has some very good animations. My Little Dashie does not.

I've never read either, but I've certainly heard plenty about them.  If it helps this discussion, I know for a fact that I heard about My Little Dashie far before I ever knew what Cupcakes was.  Come to think of it, I'm not sure I knew about it until ACRacebest released that 'Bronies React to Cupcakes' video, which was this past Halloween.  Actually, I'm almost positive that I hadn't heard of it until then, because I remember thinking, "Huh, cupcakes...  Why are they reacting to a dessert?" *begins watching video* "...this is no dessert I know of."  I'm absolutely certain that I at least knew what My Little Dashie was by then, even if I didn't know exactly what it was about.

• Brohoof 1

I would say My Little Dashie amongst the community and I also see cupcakes being a troll story to some extent. I'm a fan of grimdark when it is done well and not just gore for gore sake with puns. <_<

Edited by Lo23

Cupcakes. Cupcakes is one of the few fanfics that will be mentioned outside of a fanfiction context. What I mean is, you see people saying "Twilight Sparkle was acting all Cupcakes in that episode", "Let's hope this doesn't turn into Cupcakes", and "Oh snap, X character is gonna make them into cupcakes". Not so much with MLD.

Cupcakes also has a longer history. It was one of the earliest fanfics, created January 2011. While it came out before the concept of "Pinkamena Diane Pie" did, it certainly influenced the fandom idea of "Pinkamena", and forever ruined the phrase "rainbow cupcakes". 

I might be biased, as when I joined My Little Dashie was nonexistent and Cupcakes was absolutely unavoidable. Its prevalence seems to have decreased a bit recently, though, so maybe it isn't as well known as I imagine. Popularity does change with time, after all.

Edited by Stellafera
  • Brohoof 3

Cupcakes. Cupcakes is one of the few fanfics that will be mentioned outside of a fanfiction context. What I mean is, you see people saying "Twilight Sparkle was acting all Cupcakes in that episode", "Let's hope this doesn't turn into Cupcakes", and "Oh snap, X character is gonna make them into cupcakes". Not so much with MLD.

Cupcakes also has a longer history. It was one of the earliest fanfics, created January 2011. While it came out before the concept of "Pinkamena Diane Pie" did, it certainly influenced the fandom idea of "Pinkamena", and forever ruined the phrase "rainbow cupcakes". 

I might be biased, as when I joined My Little Dashie was nonexistent and Cupcakes was absolutely unavoidable. Its prevalence seems to have decreased a bit recently, though, so maybe it isn't as well known as I imagine. Popularity does change with time, after all.

This.  It's gotten to the point where the word "Cupcakes" itself has garnered new meaning within the fandom.  How many people said Pinkie Pie is "going Cupcakes" in Party of One? 

Plus there seems to be a greater plethora of fan art and other creative media related to Cupcakes.  Hell, I've even seen people do cosplay of human form Pinkamena Diane Pie. 

• Brohoof 2

i know early i said i wouldn't go back to cupcakes but i decided i need to any way so i could understand what the hype was. i listend to it and i can understand why people like it. it wouldn't surprise me if cupcakes was the most popular but because im not into gore like that. i have to say tho that i will always go back to my little dashie when i just need to hear a good story.

I've read both of them. And because I rarely read fanfiction, that MUST mean they're both very popular. :P I have no hard evidence, just an opinion based on what I've seen. I think Cupcakes is a tad more widely known than MLD.

What did I think of each story? On the one hand, I didn't care to read about Rainbow Dash being tortured and hacked to pieces. OTOH, the constant state of overpowering emotions, usually sad emotions, made MLD difficult to read at times. It's laid on too thick, from beginning to end. We never get a chance to come up for air! One MLP fanfic critic said that the author of MLD has since made stories with better writing quality, but those are nowhere nearly as popular. MLD is kinda like that blockbuster movie that's panned by critics but goes on to set box office records anyway.