Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

More genres?

Just A Guy

So, I was uploading a song, and when trying to choose a genre, well, it's not there.
I was actually trying to upload Electro House, or just Electro.
I normally do dubstep, but this one is not dubstep, nor dance or techno... not even trance... ._.
So, this may be a problem...
How about Soundcloud's system, which it allows you to write in, what genre is the song...
I also didn't see DnB, or Neurofunk, or Glitch hop...
So I put it in "other".
It's okay, but how about somepony searching for only DnB, Trap, or any other genre that's not listed there, so it's under "other", that could be a problem.
And there are a lot of sub-genres...
And Metal Artist's I suppose they would like to specify genre, like somepony likes Thrash, another one likes Folk, or even viking, pagan, heavy, prog. , death... grindcore!
So... yeah... .w.
(The option EDM, should be added... :3 )

• Brohoof 3

So, I was uploading a song, and when trying to choose a genre, well, it's not there.

I normally do dubstep, but this one is not dubstep, nor dance or techno... not even trance... ._.

How about Soundcloud's system, which it allows you to write in, what genre is the song...

So I put it in "other".

It's okay, but how about somepony searching for only DnB, Trap, or any other genre that's not listed there, so it's under "other", that could be a problem.

And Metal Artist's I suppose they would like to specify genre, like somepony likes Thrash, another one likes Folk, or even viking, pagan, heavy, prog. , death... grindcore!

So... yeah... .w.

I agree. I know this is probably something for later, but more variety helps, especially when the "Electronic" music genre has 187 sub-genres within it.

Now, obviously not all 187 are needed, but there are some very large gaps between different styles.

As 4 very broad strokes:

The slower paced songs:

Dubstep is very "dirty" sounding (more white noise/random frequencies), while most others  are "clean" (less white noise), and has a darker feel to it.

Trance is generally clean (less glitchy sounds), uplifting, and almost always is written at 138 beats per minute, compared to House/Progressive House, which is usually 128 or 130 bpm. Both Trance and House music will probably have the generic "Nn-tss-nn-tss-nn-tss" club beat. If necessary, Trance and House music could be combined into "EDM", which covers a huge spectrum.

Faster paced songs:

Drum and Bass, compared to the above genres, is much faster paced, usually at around 160-180bpm.

If nothing else, the above should cover pretty much every base that people will need. A general "Electronic" genre would still be of use though, in case an artist can't find what they're looking for.

Edited by CloudFyre
  • Brohoof 2

I'm glad this topic came up. As someone whose musical taste lies mostly in video game soundtracks and classical music, it would be lowballing it to say that I haven't followed the explosion of music genres that has occurred over the past century or so.

I do want to say that I'd much rather have a standard, normalized selection of genres over a free-for-all system where anyone can enter their own genre. The latter is breeding grounds for music libraries that contain "dnb", "drum n bass", "DnB", "D'n'B", "Drum & Bass", and "Drum and Bass" as separate genres, depending on how the artist likes to identify the genre and how much they care about capitalization.

It's great from a control perspective for the artist, but it's a recipe for organizational disaster on Pony.fm. I'm also not sure if there would be enough artists who:

• collectively compose music in all these genres
  • AND properly understand the definition of each genre

...to make the addition of every possible subgenre a worthwhile endeavour. Hundreds of options may not confuse only artists; they may make searching for music as listeners extremely complex as well. Genres are an aspect of the site which I would honestly prefer to make only as granular as truly necessary to separate all the major musical styles, rather than as granular as possible. I imagine the role of genres in Pony.fm as a type of umbrella, really, so the available genres to pick from should all be appropriate "umbrella genres" that can be used in lieu of the more specific subgenre of a track.

In general, if the "Other" genre is being used, I hope that artists will contact me about what they feel their music actually fits into so I can add an appropriate "umbrella" genre for them.

So I put it in "other".
So... yeah... .w.

I agree. I know this is probably something for later, but more variety helps, especially when the "Electronic" music genre has 187 sub-genres within it.

Now, obviously not all 187 are needed, but there are some very large gaps between different styles.

As 4 very broad strokes:

The slower paced songs:
Dubstep is very "dirty" sounding (more white noise/random frequencies), while most others  are "clean" (less white noise), and has a darker feel to it.
Trance is generally clean (less glitchy sounds), uplifting, and almost always is written at 138 beats per minute, compared to House/Progressive House, which is usually 128 or 130 bpm. Both Trance and House music will probably have the generic "Nn-tss-nn-tss-nn-tss" club beat. If necessary, Trance and House music could be combined into "EDM", which covers a huge spectrum.

Faster paced songs:
Drum and Bass, compared to the above genres, is much faster paced, usually at around 160-180bpm.

If nothing else, the above should cover pretty much every base that people will need. A general "Electronic" genre would still be of use though, in case an artist can't find what they're looking for.

Dubstep and Trance both already existed on Pony.fm, but I renamed Trance to Electronic Dance Music in light of these two posts. Is it more appropriate to call it "Electronic Dance Music" or the abbreviated "EDM"?

Drum and Bass has been added as a new genre.

Exactly how different is Trance from House, and House from Electro-House? If the key difference between the former is 8-10 BPM, lumping them together as EDM doesn't sound too bad. I've never heard of Electro-House before, though, so I have no idea if it also fits into the EDM spectrum.

As for Electronic... dang, 187 is a lot of genres to lump into Other as the alternative. If I add that, though, would it create an overlap issue with EDM, Trance, and/or House?

I'm glad this topic came up. As someone whose musical taste lies mostly in video game soundtracks and classical music, it would be lowballing it to say that I haven't followed the explosion of music genres that has occurred over the past century or so.

I do want to say that I'd much rather have a standard, normalized selection of genres over a free-for-all system where anyone can enter their own genre. The latter is breeding grounds for music libraries that contain "dnb", "drum n bass", "DnB", "D'n'B", "Drum & Bass", and "Drum and Bass" as separate genres, depending on how the artist likes to identify the genre and how much they care about capitalization.

It's great from a control perspective for the artist, but it's a recipe for organizational disaster on Pony.fm. I'm also not sure if there would be enough artists who:

• collectively compose music in all these genres
  • AND properly understand the definition of each genre

...to make the addition of every possible subgenre a worthwhile endeavour. Hundreds of options may not confuse only artists; they may make searching for music as listeners extremely complex as well. Genres are an aspect of the site which I would honestly prefer to make only as granular as truly necessary to separate all the major musical styles, rather than as granular as possible. I imagine the role of genres in Pony.fm as a type of umbrella, really, so the available genres to pick from should all be appropriate "umbrella genres" that can be used in lieu of the more specific subgenre of a track.

In general, if the "Other" genre is being used, I hope that artists will contact me about what they feel their music actually fits into so I can add an appropriate "umbrella" genre for them.

Dubstep and Trance both already existed on Pony.fm, but I renamed Trance to Electronic Dance Music in light of these two posts. Is it more appropriate to call it "Electronic Dance Music" or the abbreviated "EDM"?

Exactly how different is Trance from House, and House from Electro-House? If the key difference between the former is 8-10 BPM, lumping them together as EDM doesn't sound too bad. I've never heard of Electro-House before, though, so I have no idea if it also fits into the EDM spectrum.

As for Electronic... dang, 187 is a lot of genres to lump into Other as the alternative. If I add that, though, would it create an overlap issue with EDM, Trance, and/or House?

Well, EDM is a better choice than other, so, it's fine to abbreviate it :3

The differences between genres, for what I understand are:

Trance: More ambient kinda sound, creating beautiful atmospheres, but it's the same beat.

House: The old style House, Somewhat repetitive, but still, one incredible genre.

Prog-House: Deadmau5 is the perfect example, the names says it all. (And I'm not very sure how to explain it... )

Electro House, or just called Electro: It's the modern kind of House, More sounds, sometimes more complex, etc etc etc. Knife party is a good reference of what this genre is.

Joining all this genres into one category, it's fine for a lot of people (For me it's ok to call it EDM ^^ )

And, Another thing, I haven't seen any EBM producer around here... But i'm sure there will be...

• Brohoof 1

I agree with you on avoiding the free-for-all thing; that seems too open too interpretation. On the other hand, I also agree that the hundreds, possibly thousands of sub genres would make it nearly impossible to do anything productive.

Hmm...you might want to watch the results of merging Trance/Dubstep into EDM. It will be interesting to see if Dubstep artists agree with the merge, or choose a different genre for their music, as I'm not entirely sure that Dubstep will always mesh together nicely with EDM. Then again, Dubstep isn't my forte. (And as for the name: I'd call it "EDM" with the full name in parenthases. Anyone who knows what it means probably won't use the full name, but those unfamiliar to the naming system might like to know what it means.)

And the difference between Trance and House music is:

• Timing: Trance will almost ALWAYS be written at 138 beats per minute, while House music varies between 125 and 140.

• Instrument choice: while House music uses all sorts of instruments, the secret weapon of trance music is the Supersaw (something like an electronic violin, but with more "punch" to it). It's the essential component that drives most of the song. Other than that, arp basses and pianos are fairly standard.

• Feeling: House is all over the place, but Trance will usually have a very "uplifting" sound to it - it's meant to get people on their feet and get their hands in the air, and inject them with a sort of pseudo-adrenaline. (That is achieved through the way that the notes are arranged, but a lesson in music theory will have to wait until later).

This is perhaps the most famous Trance song ever composed (aside from Airwave), Awakening by Rank 1. It's so well known in fact, that it became a pivotal piece of music in defining the genre itself. I tried to have it set to start at 3:54, but it didn't work.

Jump to 3:54 and listen to the 5:37-ish mark. Pay attention to the flow of music - the volume will rise and fall, but the the notes almost always rise in pitch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BzKDEdjd-Y&t=3m54s

Hear those electric violins? Those lead instruments are the Supersaws I mentioned earlier. Awakening is written at the standard 138 beats per minute, it carries a distinct Arp bass, and has some pianos nicely arranged in the middle. All in all, this song was a foundational piece of music for defining the Trance genre. 

Even cooler: what you hear is played live by Benno De Goeij and Piet Bervots, the two men who make up Rank 1. One of them plays two electric pianos, one on top of the other, and the second guy has his own mini-piano, a mixer, and a looping board to keep the sounds going. They'll play entire shows with multiple songs, and somehow they can do it all from memory. I find that incredible.

I couldn't give one song that really "defines" House music, but this is a good example (It gets good at around the 1:40 mark):

And you have to remember that House covers a huge spectrum, and if you really wanted to, you could say that Trance is a very, very specific branch of House that took a persona of it's own.

That's a very incomplete description, but I hope it helps.
  Edited by CloudFyre
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I agree with feld0's actions in limiting the number of genres, but alas, I am therefore confined to the confusing genre of Other. Ah, Other... my old arch enemy...

You should consider adding Ambient and Orchestral (I think this is a better name for what Soundtrack is aiming for). Both genres are quite common in the fandom. And, is it possible to get Intelligent Dance Music / IDM on the list? It's an umbrella term that is rather vague (which is why I feel comfortable using it!), but generally refers to electronic music with an emphasis on unusual sounds and tempos that EDM doesn't use. In the fandom, IDM would apply to artists like me, sci, Neonstorm, Jackle App (sometimes), Seventh Element, MandraSigma, Nosnibormada - perhaps enough to genuinely warrant its inclusion.

The look LOOKS great but i really feel the genres themselves are all over the place, minimal in some, too much in others:

*rap +hip-hop as 2 different genres? (take out rap and keep hip-hop, they are the same thing),

* edm without subgenres?- add house, trance, electro, (techno isn't really used by practically anyone as a genre name)

* Haven't heard anyone make Latino, R&B, Opera, Blues,Reggae pony songs so not sure why they are on here.

* Dance and EDM are basically the same thing.

BMD has a genre section we put a lot of thought it, we built most based off what bronies make for the community. Not trying to have many genres that weren't being covered. Take a look and see if these can really add some more clarity to your selections as you're missing some and making some that kinda duplicate in other areas, and some which have no tracks. Won't take too long to fix....

http://bronymusiciandirectory.blogspot.com/2012/03/genre-section.html

there is the pony genre list that has even more diversity and is a secondary source

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12pMU_9Wwen8cB-qH4t_nALX2lxDBbrWDYMTSyEb2ME8/preview?sle=true

but keep in mind too many small genres wont help a lot of people like the crucial bigger ones will.

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 1

The look LOOKS great but i really feel the genres themselves are all over the place, minimal in some, too much in others:

*rap +hip-hop as 2 different genres? (take out rap and keep hip-hop, they are the same thing),

* edm without subgenres?- add house, trance, electro, (techno isn't really used by practically anyone as a genre name)

* Haven't heard anyone make Latino, R&B, Opera, Blues,Reggae pony songs so not sure why they are on here.

* Dance and EDM are basically the same thing.

~ snipped ~

Freewave, I moved this post into the original genres thread, as the other one was meant to specifically discuss the new index page I made for them rather than the actual genres themselves.

I compiled the initial list of genres from the iTunes store. In all honesty, I haven't done much research at all into the actual musical makeup of the brony community, so that probably explains why some of the choices on Pony.fm look a little strange. I realize you've looked far deeper into this than I, as the owner of the Brony Musician Directory. I'll take a good look at the genres you've compiled.

I'm definitely happy to add/remove/merge genres on Pony.fm as needed, and it's important to me that the choices reflect the music that the fandom actually produces, so please keep the feedback coming.

I agree with feld0's actions in limiting the number of genres, but alas, I am therefore confined to the confusing genre of Other. Ah, Other... my old arch enemy...

You should consider adding Ambient and Orchestral (I think this is a better name for what Soundtrack is aiming for). Both genres are quite common in the fandom. And, is it possible to get Intelligent Dance Music / IDM on the list? It's an umbrella term that is rather vague (which is why I feel comfortable using it!), but generally refers to electronic music with an emphasis on unusual sounds and tempos that EDM doesn't use. In the fandom, IDM would apply to artists like me, sci, Neonstorm, Jackle App (sometimes), Seventh Element, MandraSigma, Nosnibormada - perhaps enough to genuinely warrant its inclusion.

Sorry for the late response, Cherax. I happened to be in the midst of a particularly busy school week.

I plan to change the "Other" genre option up a bit by making it require that you enter a custom genre when you choose it. While "Other" will still be the genre shown on the site, it would be treated as a request for a new genre, and if I see a lot of the same one coming up, it would be a good way to know that it needs to be added.

I already have Classical as a genre option. Is Orchestral just the more contemporary means of referring to music that is written for (or at least sounds like) a more traditional orchestra? If that's what most people call it, I could just rename the Classical genre to Orchestral. I suppose that might do well to separate brony "classical" from traditional Baroque-era and co. classical music.

The original idea of soundtrack was to cover things like game soundtracks; however, in retrospect, it would probably be better as a whole to categorize such soundtracks by the actual musical style. Soundtracks can be as diverse and varied as any other music, and being part of a larger creative project does not make a metal song any closer to the same thing as an orchestral one. I'll probably remove that one. People who want to host soundtracks on Pony.fm should be putting them into albums, anyway.

I can't say I've ever actually heard of IDM before. I'll do some reading and listening into it, but if it's big and different enough to warrant separation from EDM, I'll be happy to add it.

I already have Classical as a genre option. Is Orchestral just the more contemporary means of referring to music that is written for (or at least sounds like) a more traditional orchestra? If that's what most people call it, I could just rename the Classical genre to Orchestral. I suppose that might do well to separate brony "classical" from traditional Baroque-era and co. classical music.

The original idea of soundtrack was to cover things like game soundtracks; however, in retrospect, it would probably be better as a whole to categorize such soundtracks by the actual musical style. Soundtracks can be as diverse and varied as any other music, and being part of a larger creative project does not make a metal song any closer to the same thing as an orchestral one. I'll probably remove that one. People who want to host soundtracks on Pony.fm should be putting them into albums, anyway.

I can't say I've ever actually heard of IDM before. I'll do some reading and listening into it, but if it's big and different enough to warrant separation from EDM, I'll be happy to add it.

Yeah you have the right idea. Classical and Orchestral are indeed two separate entities, with Classical being sounds like Bach and Beethoven, and Orchestral simply being covers/remixes/original songs that simply use the same instruments as Classical. (Video game music is often turned into Orchestral songs, even though the timing and chords don't always resemble Classical music.)

On the note of "soundtrack", it's probably best to have the artist group it with whatever genre it fits closest to. I'd nix it.

And as for IDM...I consider it part of EDM as a whole. The U.S. music industry generally holds that electronica is the catch-all phrase for every kind of electronic music, but the term "EDM" is the acronym that's recognized worldwide for electronic music. And since IDM is a subgenre of electronica, (and the majority of the world uses "EDM" in place of "electronica"), I feel it's safe to say that IDM could be grouped with EDM.

On a side note: some well known electronic artists see Intelligent Dance Music as a term that's unique to the U.S. music industry - you probably won't hear the term much of it over in Europe.

Edited by CloudFyre

Yeah you have the right idea. Classical and Orchestral are indeed two separate entities, with Classical being sounds like Bach and Beethoven, and Orchestral simply being covers/remixes/original songs that simply use the same instruments as Classical. (Video game music is often turned into Orchestral songs, even though the timing and chords don't always resemble Classical music.)

On the note of "soundtrack", it's probably best to have the artist group it with whatever genre it fits closest to. I'd nix it.

And as for IDM...I consider it part of EDM as a whole. The U.S. music industry generally holds that electronica is the catch-all phrase for every kind of electronic music, but the term "EDM" is the acronym that's recognized worldwide for electronic music. And since IDM is a subgenre of electronica, (and the majority of the world uses "EDM" in place of "electronica"), I feel it's safe to say that IDM could be grouped with EDM.

On a side note: some well known electronic artists see Intelligent Dance Music as a term that's unique to the U.S. music industry - you probably won't hear the term much of it over in Europe.

Well a lot of people use Orchestral simply to indicate electronically made classical music. Whether you use Orchestral or Classical isn't to much of a big deal but i would say there isn't really much of a difference between the two as i think you're indicating. Orchestral covers of show music ARE Classical versions! If you have 2 genres which mean the same thing people will put a few on both (Rap/Hip-Hop) instead of using a better system with just 1 to cover any slight variations. Pick one or the other as a selection, not both.

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 1

Well a lot of people use Orchestral simply to indicate electronically made classical music. Whether you use Orchestral or Classical isn't to much of a big deal but i would say there isn't really much of a difference between the two as i think you're indicating. Orchestral covers of show music ARE Classical versions! If you have 2 genres which mean the same thing people will put a few on both (Rap/Hip-Hop) instead of using a better system with just 1 to cover any slight variations. Pick one or the other as a selection, not both.

I'm not sure if I agree with that. Orchestral covers are not equivalent to classical music.

By definition: " [Classical music] Music written in the European tradition during a period lasting approximately from 1750 to 1830, when forms such as the symphony, concerto, and sonata were standardized."

Relatively few orchestral covers of show songs fall under that category. (Actually, I'm struggling to think of a real "classical" pony piece off the top of my head.) Hardly anyone writes music in the same fashion that the legends like Mozart did - so while current artists may use "orchestra instruments", the timing and syncopation are far from the flow of standard classics.

*Edit: Here's my main issue:

While I think it would be nice to consolidate the two into one, I can't really come to a conclusion on how that would be achieved. Classical could fit under the Orchestral category (as Orchestral simply means that it sounds like the music was made by a real symphony), but you can't go the other way around (since Classical is a bit more strict with the timing.)

So here's the thing: we could condense it down to just "Orchestral" (which would be simpler), but "Classical" is such a HUGE category on Itunes and other music websites that leaving it out almost seems wrong.

Any thoughts?

Edited by CloudFyre

While I think it would be nice to consolidate the two into one, I can't really come to a conclusion on how that would be achieved. Classical could fit under the Orchestral category (as Orchestral simply means that it sounds like the music was made by a real symphony), but you can't go the other way around (since Classical is a bit more strict with the timing.)

^ this. A lot of the orchestral music in the fandom strays far from the traditions of Classical music in terms of structure, arrangement, tonality, blah blah. I'm not sure I've heard any real "Classical" music in the fandom! (It's probably out there.) If you were to condense the two into one tag, Classical/Orchestral, that might be enough.

On a very literal level, a lot of what I would refer to as IDM is indeed electronic music that makes you dance, and should *theoretically* be able to be called EDM. Buuut, EDM is used to refer to specific kinds of electronica generally made for club settings - including house, dubstep, and all their myriad subgenres - but not to what I would call IDM. Basically, I mean any kind of modern-ish electronica that wouldn't be played at a club! (Compare tracks from Archie or Aviators to those from

, or
, and you'll see what I mean.) I think we need a genre tag for this. "Electronica" would suffice if it came down to it.

Here's my main issue:

So here's the thing: we could condense it down to just "Orchestral" (which would be simpler), but "Classical" is such a HUGE category on Itunes and other music websites that leaving it out almost seems wrong.

Any thoughts?

^ this. A lot of the orchestral music in the fandom strays far from the traditions of Classical music in terms of structure, arrangement, tonality, blah blah. I'm not sure I've heard any real "Classical" music in the fandom! (It's probably out there.) If you were to condense the two into one tag, Classical/Orchestral, that might be enough.

While I understand the difference between "Orchestral" and "Classical" as genre labels, the fact remains that classical is a subset of orchestral. This fandom produces extremely little, if any, truly classical music, so what little of it there may be will probably survive just fine under the orchestral umbrella genre. I discussed this with my mother last night, who's a professional, classically trained pianist, and she agrees that this would be the most appropriate way to taxonomize fan music that uses orchestral instruments.

• Brohoof 2

Well if there's no or little classical in the brony community then use orchestral. We have to apply genres that will be used andwe won't really have classical pieces "mis-tagged" if they are put as orchestral. Use that an everyone should be happy. If you keep both then it may lead to mis-tagging or splits between who's using what and incorrectly.

EDM is dance music by nature so IDM is really outside of that (and deserves its own genre selection).

For my site I didn't add any genres unless they were big enough and had enough people making brony music for them. Something like Funk & Disco COULD be added at some point (i have a few tracks with nods) but its hard to justify including them now when they aren't quite deserved yet. Don't make categories for music based off on itunes genres, base them off what bronies have made in the last 2 years. wink.png

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 1

So, from what I'm getting:

• Orchestral will cover for Classical.
  • Trance/House/other dance stuff will fall under EDM
  • EDM and IDM are separate.

As I saw from the Skype conversation earlier, some people have no clue in the world as to what "EDM" and "IDM" are though, so should we group them into Electronica?

So, from what I'm getting:

• Orchestral will cover for Classical.
  • Trance/House/other dance stuff will fall under EDM
  • EDM and IDM are separate.

As I saw from the Skype conversation earlier, some people have no clue in the world as to what "EDM" and "IDM" are though, so should we group them into Electronica?

This morning, I did a few things with Pony.fm's genres:

• renamed Classical to Orchestral
  • ensured that Pony.fm had every genre from Freewave's list on BMD (frankly, he's done a lot of research into the music that the brony community actually makes - it's a pretty good compilation)
  • removed all genres that had no tracks and weren't on Freewave's list
  • merged Dance and Techno into EDM
  • renamed "Electronic Dance Music" to "EDM"

That leaves me with five genres that have tracks in them but aren't on Freewave's list:

• Soundtrack
  • Folk
  • New Age
  • Pop
  • EDM

+ that pesky "Other". Now would be a good time to take a look at the list again. I'm not sure what to do with these genres, or the tracks that are already in them.

I'm against the idea of adding subgenres. As far as Pony.fm, its visitors, and your music player are concerned, something either is big enough to warrant its own genre, or it isn't. So far, it looks like either EDM or Electronica is going to be a pretty big "cover-all", but significant subgenres of it should be added as their own genres.

The majority of pony music often fall under EDM thus needing further subgenres to identify what makes them different. that's why house, trance, electro, speedcore or hardcore, hardstyle, downtempo (chill out) really add a lot more description and really deserve it. Again break up that EDM block and you'll find plenty of music to include under it.

I did Acoustic on my list instead of folk as that would allow solo piano too, flutes, etc. New Age could also be replaced with Adult Contemporary if you wanted, again there's not much of it yet. Pop could work in general i guess but is also open ended..Soundtrack is tough as its similar to Orchestral and nothing truly qualifies AS soundtrack music as its not a real music genre but a description of what it ties too.

This morning, I did a few things with Pony.fm's genres:

• renamed Classical to Orchestral
  • ensured that Pony.fm had every genre from Freewave's list on BMD (frankly, he's done a lot of research into the music that the brony community actually makes - it's a pretty good compilation)
  • removed all genres that had no tracks and weren't on Freewave's list
  • merged Dance and Techno into EDM
  • renamed "Electronic Dance Music" to "EDM"

That leaves me with five genres that have tracks in them but aren't on Freewave's list:

• Soundtrack
  • Folk
  • New Age
  • Pop
  • EDM

+ that pesky "Other". Now would be a good time to take a look at the list again. I'm not sure what to do with these genres, or the tracks that are already in them.

I'm against the idea of adding subgenres. As far as Pony.fm, its visitors, and your music player are concerned, something either is big enough to warrant its own genre, or it isn't. So far, it looks like either EDM or Electronica is going to be a pretty big "cover-all", but significant subgenres of it should be added as their own genres.

Any recent changes in how generes are alligned on the site? I know you were goign to take a look at additional suggestions that were given. Though i'd bump and check since we haven't talked about it recently.

OOPS Just looked and there are a LOT more options now. Sorry to bump a thread without looking at the changes first on the genre list. I'll have to retag some of my tracks off the album to get them to show in the right caterories. Awesome job Feld!!

Edited by Freewave