Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Just finished watching "Rescue at Midnight Castle

Courageous Thunder Dash

...and it was sooo epic. 

Even the songs were really good. 

Rescue at Midnight Castle somewhat compares to the two-part episodes of MLP. 

It opens up with a semi-utopian society, which in a matter of seconds (in Rescue at Midnight Castle) can turn into a disastrous kingdom ruled by an evil villain

In all seriousness, Rescue at Midnight Castle is a really great G1 episode.

But again, the company responsible for MLP wanted to attract more girls, which is why they came up with the G2, G3 (which I can't stand) and G3.5(a baby version of G3).

So, what did you think of Rescue at Midnight Castle?

In case you haven't watched it, here's the link to the full episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-Ll5zaPcIE  

Edited by Thunder-Dash

I love Rescue at Midnight Castle, but sadly it probably is the best of the G1 episodes and once you've seen it, you can pretty much say you've watched G1. Midnight Castle is a little differant than the other G1 eps though, its the pilot for the show and has a MUCH darker and more mature feel to it (like threats to behead Spike), which of course gives it more appeal to older audiences.

The songs in it aren't that great... although the Sea Ponies song can be funny in the sense that its so bad that its actually good. And of course there is Fire Fly, the G1 Rainbow Dash, and who Lauren Faust uses as her internet name. But I think the best part of Midnight Castle is the bad guy Tirek. He was a boss. I wish they would bring him back for FiM. He could definetly school Sombra on how to be an evil dark lord type.

He could definetly school Sombra on how to be an evil dark lord type

King Sombra needed MAJOR enhancements. He didn't even "win", like the other villans did. Tirak sort of "won" but he was still defeated. Tirack was way better than King Sombra.  

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

King Sombra needed MAJOR enhancements. He didn't even "win", like the other villans did. Tirak sort of "won" but he was still defeated. Tirack was way better than King Sombra.

oh for crying out loud. Why is it so hard to understand that Sombra was not keant to be an in your face villain?
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

I love Rescue at Midnight Castle, but sadly it probably is the best of the G1 episodes and once you've seen it, you can pretty much say you've watched G1. Midnight Castle is a little differant than the other G1 eps though, its the pilot for the show and has a MUCH darker and more mature feel to it (like threats to behead Spike), which of course gives it more appeal to older audiences.

The songs in it aren't that great... although the Sea Ponies song can be funny in the sense that its so bad that its actually good. And of course there is Fire Fly, the G1 Rainbow Dash, and who Lauren Faust uses as her internet name. But I think the best part of Midnight Castle is the bad guy Tirek. He was a boss. I wish they would bring him back for FiM. He could definetly school Sombra on how to be an evil dark lord type.

Come on, Sombra managed to enslave an entire kingdom, keep them in a traumatized depression, and had nearly everything planned out should somepony try to take back the Crystal Heart, the only thing that could defeat him.  He was literally seconds from winning, and only lost because he was too slow.  He had absolutely no problem with killing Spike, a baby dragon.  If Spike hadn't come with Twilight, she would've been trapped in her worst fear forever, or later she would've been trapped alone by the dark crystals, with no way out, and forced to watch Sombra take over.  

• 6 months later...

I'm not sure if I agree that it's the absolute best G1 episode, but Tirek is a strong villain, which helps make up for the weak pony characters. I appear to be in the minority here, but I like G1 more when it finally starts to have recurring pony characters, and I'm able to get invested in them. Gusty, Wind Whistler, Bubbles, Ribbons, Shady, Lickety Split etc. and their baby counterparts are decent enough characters, but it's largely because they've been around long enough for their personalities to really shine. I do think Rescue at Midnight Castle is a solid introduction to the series though. I used to be convinced that it was a good indicator for whether one would like the G1 series, and I still think it might be, if you're looking for a series where you'll be hooked right away. G1 took some time to grow on me though.

• 6 years later...

just rewatched it on a whim - it is fun :) I love the getting to know the different pony powers bits and then seeing them come into play at the end with Twi teleporting and tossing the package to Firefly. Does what a pilot needs to do.

Also "Our rainbow is fighting back" :D 

image.png.ad59b1898f20c2d86a15ca470f5cbaf7.png

I was shocked when I watched it. Given the subject content and the target audience, it was downright terrifying. Especially hat ominous "Dark Rainbow" heartbeat. For a while, after everything else that had happened, I was almost expecting him to pull a beating heart out of the bag.

Also a bit of headcanon about Midnight Castle. Here's how the Storm King's realm is depicted in the official map of Equestria.

image.png.1300a160ee84330e279a0d45fd12b9b3.png

Here's midnight castle, which as we also know from the episode, sits atop a rocky island in violent seas.

Trouble at Midnight Castle - Fimfiction

Methinks Ol' Stormy moved into this place sometime after Tirek was defeated.

• Brohoof 1

I always wanted to watch this.  Just never made the time.  I always wanted to give G1 a fair shake so I could actually compare it to FIM.  You sold me.  I'm gonna make the time to watch it.  Sadly, the video isn't available anymore, but I think it's on something we get, either cable package or Netflix.  I'm gonna look for it now.  Perhaps I'll report back here when I've seen it.

40 minutes ago, Justin_Case001 said:

I always wanted to watch this.  Just never made the time.  I always wanted to give G1 a fair shake so I could actually compare it to FIM.  You sold me.  I'm gonna make the time to watch it.  Sadly, the video isn't available anymore, but I think it's on something we get, either cable package or Netflix.  I'm gonna look for it now.  Perhaps I'll report back here when I've seen it.

Pretty sure not on Netflix tho. I don’t think there’s anything past G4 in there these days. In fact, everything Hasbro related other than G4 pastel horses and Transformers seems to be gone from the platform :unsure:

• 5 months later...