Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Symbolism in MLP:FIM and hidden knowledge

SasQ

err, a lot of those youtube videos are made by morons....

It's these two images that made me think that it's not all rubbish. Notice how the styling of the symbols does not fit the visual style of the show, and how the eye does not even look like it's at the right angle to be on the side of that tent, like someone just slapped them on carelessly? For all the other points I've seen it could just be being read into, but these two are the things that made me not dismiss it.

9044322_orig.png

mylittleponey.jpg

I think perhaps people here are a bit too used to people making weird arguments against FiM, I'm not trying to put it down at all. I love MLP and it just make me a little sad to see something that doesn't really belong there injected into it. I'm not afraid of occult references, I actually find them rather interesting, I just don't think they belong in FiM, that's all.

Edited by fyrepony

It's these two images that made me think that it's not all rubbish. Notice how the styling of the symbols does not fit the visual style of the show, and how the eye does not even look like it's at the right angle to be on the side of that tent, like someone just slapped them on carelessly? For all the other points I've seen it could just be being read into, but these two are the things that made me not dismiss it.

9044322_orig.png

mylittleponey.jpg

yes i have seen this exact video! what i am saying is one that triangle does not mean what you think, it is like god watching over us or something like that, never herd of the owl thing though. the fact that they put an eye triangle on a tent does not mean to much to me conidering that even if it was a conspiracy (doughtfull) it is not like that symbol being their does anything, like who cares?

img-3288861-1-9044322_orig.png

img-3288861-2-mylittleponey.jpg

Well we don't really see what's inside that tent but I have commonly seen eye symbols associated with fortune tellers, commonly in cartoons fortune tellers are seen in tents. And the owl thing was in an episode about spike's jealousy of an owl, so it's possible that the animators thought "well it's an episode about an owl so I'll stick an owl on the book". Again it has nothing to do with anything.

• Brohoof 3

Well we don't really see what's inside that tent but I have commonly seen eye symbols associated with fortune tellers, commonly in cartoons fortune tellers are seen in tents. And the owl thing was in an episode about spike's jealousy of an owl, so it's possible that the animators thought "well it's an episode about an owl so I'll stick an owl on the book". Again it has nothing to do with anything.

Well, that's probably the best comment so far I've gotten on this thread so far!

Edited by fyrepony

Hi !  This is a very thought provoking thread you've started.  But believe or not, we already have a very similar one from some time ago.  Whenever an idea for a new topic comes up, please take a moment to do a search on the forum and see if the subject is already being discussed.  In any event, I will go ahead and merge your this with the original thread. 

Happy posting!  :) 

• Brohoof 3

Hi !  This is a very thought provoking thread you've started.  But believe or not, we already have a very similar one from some time ago.  Whenever an idea for a new topic comes up, please take a moment to do a search on the forum and see if the subject is already being discussed.  In any event, I will go ahead and merge your this with the original thread. 

Happy posting!  :)

I guess I should have searched here too, not just a certain mega popular search engine :derp: This looks like an interesting thread, I'll be sure to read it!  ^_^

Wow, I've speed read about 50% of the thread(I intend to normal-read all of it) and it's pretty amazing! I guess the show just had a lot of references to esoteric things. I think it's very cool that there is such detail in the show! I'm not sure how much of it is intentional, or just came from the teams subconscious to some extent. I think that could very well be part of why FiM is so captivating. Just the fact that those things are there is very interesting and for me adds another level of appreciation for FiM.

I do wish I would have found this before the references to the eye of providence, but no harm done. I'm glad that there seems to be far far more positive and interesting bit and pieces hidden in the show. And I think it really adds an extra level of interest to the show. I think that people are naturally drawn to such symbolism, that's why stories that use it seem so interesting. This show can't exactly make direct references to things like the tree of life and get by the people in charge at Hasbro. I wonder if there are is any symbology inside the comic series?

Great work finding this @SasQ! You obviously have a keen eye for esoteric, occult, alchemic, etc. symbology, and apparently advanced time equations!  :)

On a side note my posts seem very short now :derp:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm stuck wondering "Say the alleged symbolism was included on purpose; how does this affect me, if at all--is this some world-shattering revelation? Are people who find all this occult symbolism just seeing what they want to see?" I'm driving myself fucking crazy here.

I'm also left ranting to myself about "12 DNA strands" and "The Secret". I...don't know how to express my views of such concepts without sounding like an ass.

• 2 years later...

Sorry, I had to get some sleep, but now I'm fresh and ready to go on with this ;-)

Now it's time for Cheerilee's Equation :->

Maxwell meets Miss Cheerilee

Advanced formulae from Physics appear more often in the show. The most frequently occuring is this one below:

img-1081894-1-Cheerilee_s_Equation.png

It is present since Twilight's childhood (you can see it scribbled on the blackboard in the auditorium), and at present times, it appears often in Miss Cheerilee's blackboard in her classroom, many times. I wonder what is she teaching to those little fillies? ;-J

At first glance, it doesn't directly resemble anything what I know. I haven't seen exactly this equation anywhere in my study of Physics. But at the second glance, it contains many familiar symbols, all of which are related to Maxwell's Equations for electromagnetism :-> The symbols used in it are real mathematical symbols, correctly used.

Differential operators

For example, the inversed triangle symbol seen in the numerator is called "nabla", and it symbolzes the "del" differential operator. For three dimensions of space in Cartesian coordinates, it can be expanded like this:

img-1081894-2-Nabla.png

Just a vector sum of partial derivatives for each independent direction of space. When applied to a scalar field, it produces a vector field called gradient, which shows the direction of quickest change of value. When applied to a vector field, it produces a scalar field called divergence, which shows where the vector field is radiating from (or where the sources and sinks are). So let's see now what Miss Cheerilee applies it to.

Electric displacement field

In Miss Cheerilee's Equation, it's applied to a symbol of capital D. This symbol is also known in Electrodynamics: It designates the so-called electric displacement field. At present, this quantity is used a little bit differently than originally by Maxwell in 19th century, because he used it to describe the displacement of electric fluid. At present, we don't treat electricity as a fluid, but a stream of particles (electrons). But no matter the interpretation, the law is the same.

D is a vector quantity (because it has a direction of displacement), so in Miss Cheerilee's Equation, the "del" operator means the divergence of that field: how much it spreads out and from which places. So it's something about radiation of electric fluid from matter. In this way, it's very similar to Gauss's Law, which is the first of Maxwell's Equations for electromagnetism shown here in a modern form:

img-1081894-3-MaxwellD.png

I need to emphasize that this is not how Maxwell had them written originally! These are really modified versions by Heaviside. This is a whole story of how these equations evolved through history, and how they were modified several times, and there are evidences that some parts of these equations has been purposedly hidden (or censored) from public. But this is a whole another story. If you're interested, we can talk about it someday in some other place, because it's not directly related to ponies. I'm mentioning this just to signal you that there's more in our Science too that meets the eye, and what you can find officially in Physics books is not necessarily everything what's there; some things are still hidden in shadows ;-) So it's worth to be like Twilight Sparkle and dig through these dusty old books sometimes ;-)

Epsilon and mu

The other two symbols from Miss Cherilee's Equation, that is, Greek letters epsilon and mu, are also important in Electrodynamics, as you can see in the following version of Maxwell's Equations:

img-1081894-4-Maxwell.jpg

(See? I told you that there are many different forms of Maxwell's Equations :-P )

The former (epsilon) is called electric permittivity, and the latter (mu) is magnetic permeability. In official books you'd be told that both are constants, and that they're some special features of Nature itself which have to be taken from measurements. This is a lie. They're no more special than the units we've chosen arbitrarily for measuring electric charges, forces, distances and time. If we've chosen different units, we'd have to tweak these constants to match the reality again. They're just conversion factors resulting from our choice of units, and we can even chose units in a way that these constants will be all 1 and drop out of these equations, leaving just the bare law of physics laying before our curious eyes. But, back to the subject...

In Miss Cheerilee's equation, these constants are multiplied together in the denominator. What happens when you multiply them together? You'll get the speed of light squared, which appears also in wave equation, or in the famous Einstein's formula for mass and energy equivalence (E = m c2). So Miss Cheerilee is apparently comparing the spreading out of electric fluid from matter with the speed of light. Why? I wish I could know 9_9, but it all seems plausible for me.

Curvature of space

Also the small little triangle added to the whole fraction has a meaning in Mathematics and is used in Field Theory. It is just the "del" operator described above, taken twice in a row (or squared), that is, the second derivative. It is called Laplace's differential operator (or laplacian in short), and it calculates the curvature of space (or how much does it deviate from the average level of equilibrium). It is used widely in Electrodynamics for calculating electric potentials for a given distribution of electric charges in space. It works this way: When you have an electric potential field (which is scalar), and apply the "del" operator once, you'll get the gradient of this potential (the rate of change), which is a vector field (because it can change differently in different directions). This vector field is just electric field. When you apply the "del" operator once again (to get the laplacian), you'll get the divergence of that electric field, or "how much it spreads out". And it spreads out from electric charges, so it should be somehow related to where these charges are located in space.

So you can clearly see that Miss Cherilee's Equation has plenty of connections with Maxwell's Equations for electromagnetism. Unfortunately, it doesn't match any of the official forms of the four Maxwell's Equations known at present. Also, I couldn't transform it to any of them myself.

Well, there's always an option that this equation is one of those missing Maxwell's Equations from his original Field Theory, concerning gravity :-> The picture of a planet with rings or orbit below the equation seems to suggest it a little bit ;-J Well, I'll have to massage these equations a little bit further in some near future...

----------------------------------

OK, so this is it. This is where my original article ends. Since then, I've found several other symbols, especially that my first analysis was based mostly on the first season of the show (with a few exceptions).

Now I'll try to answer your comments, I hope will be able to do it in one post :-P You can add your own observations in this topic, because I know that I've left many of them too. And I'm curious of your observations, and how much they'll match up with mine.

P.S.: Some of the "Special BBCodes" (if not all) seem to not work. I couldn't also find any way to insert anchors in my messages, so I just inserted direct links. I hope it won't break someday.

I can't believe I missed the Del operator there!

Twilight's equations on the board in "It's About Time" I had dismissed as too much effort with only a low chance of them even meaning anything (calculus gibberish is common for an "advanced math" feel on TV.)

But I already knew about Del, and divergence as well. And that was a really short equation, to boot. Why was I so lazy?

And that gives another bit of evidence for the "ponies live a longer time and grow up slower" theory. I mean, what is Cheerilee doing teaching them Calc III concepts if they really are elementary school students?

Either that, or all ponies in Equestria are mathematical geniuses. Which is less likely.

Still, I'll definitely pay closer attention now.

• Brohoof 2

• 6 months later...