Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Legend of Zelda for the Xbox 360 and PS3?

Jordan Dash

If Nintendo gave access to Microsoft and Sony for LoZ, would they make a profit?  

34 users have voted

1. 1. Would Nintendo make a larger profit?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you buy the game?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe...

I was sitting at my computer, being all bored like I always am when i decided to play a n64 emulator and loaded up Ocarina of Time. At the time I was playing with my Xbox controller when it hit me, why doesn't Nintendo make a new Legend of Zelda game, or remake Ocarina of Time again, but this time for a system such as the Xbox and / or Ps3. Now, I realize that all rights go towards Nintendo but I, myself think that if they actually put the game out there in the market for the other consoles then they would make WAY more money then just putting it out for the 3DS and the Wii (U). 

What are your thoughts on this, and I myself know that I would most defiantly without a doubt buy it!

No, because Zelda is one of the core Nintendo franchises that keeps them alive. People are diehard fans of Zelda, and will cough up the several hundred dollars to get the newest one on the newest Nintendo system. The same goes for Pokemon, Mario, you name it. It's the same reason why Halo isn't on PS3 or why Uncharted is a PS3 exclusive. People will buy their product, even if it costs hem massive amounts of money. Plus, it generates competition between the companies which is actually good for business.

That's not to say if Zelda was released for Xbox 360 that I wouldn't buy it. I love Zelda, but do not have the money to afford a WiiU or 3DS. This would be the ideal for gamers, but not for the companies, which are the ones who need to keep making money to create more games.

• Brohoof 8

Having played just about EVERY Legend of Zelda game, I'd be completely in favor of Nintendo opting to bring Link over to other consoles. I have both an Xbox 360 and a Playstation 3, and it's no question that they can do things visually that the Wii U and older Nintendo systems just aren't able to do. Not only would bringing Legend of Zelda games to other consoles allow for monster-slaying, high-definition goodness, a more intricate controller would translate into Link being able to do MUCH more with his weapons than ever before, and one thing I like to see as a Legend of Zelda fan is lots of options when it comes to Link's weapons. 

• Brohoof 1

Having played just about EVERY Legend of Zelda game, I'd be completely in favor of Nintendo opting to bring Link over to other consoles. I have both an Xbox 360 and a Playstation 3, and it's no question that they can do things visually that the Wii U and older Nintendo systems just aren't able to do. Not only would bringing Legend of Zelda games to other consoles allow for monster-slaying, high-definition goodness, a more intricate controller would translate into Link being able to do MUCH more with his weapons than ever before, and one thing I like to see as a Legend of Zelda fan is lots of options when it comes to Link's weapons. 

You just summed up most of my opinion which i didn't state :P I think if they released it on the other consoles, or the next generation consoles such as the new xbox or the new play station than they would hit the chart records with being one of the first, and best selling game titles of all time.

• Brohoof 1

Unfortunately most of Nintendo's first party titles will never make it multi-platform. I'm talking about the ones licensed and produced by Nintendo. As awesome as it would be, it will never happen unless something drastic happens to Nintendo. And even then, it would still be slim.

Honestly, I don't know what I'd think, playing Nintendo franchises on non-Nintendo platforms would ruin the charm normally has. I don't know how to put it, but it's like putting Sony franchises like Ratchet and Clanke or Sly Cooper on the Wii U, or Halo or Gears of War on the PS3, it wouldn't feel the same. I think a better example would be Spyro, Crash and Sonic, playing sonic games on multiplatforms feels off compared to playing them on your good 'ol Sega Genesis/Dreamcast, or a Spyro and Crash on the Nintendo or M$ system rather than the Sony's.

Hell even after playing a Link to the Past or Super Metroid on my modded PSP still doesn't feel right

Edited by Megas75

As much as I might wish that that was the case, it's never going to happen. If only because Zelda is one of Nintendo's core franchises  They're never gonna give that up.

I could only see Nintendo doing that if they went the way of Sega. When Nintendo no longer develops hardware, then and only can I see them entertaining the idea of developing for other cosoles.

On another note, I don't know how much longer the current generations of consoles has left. I've heard bits and pieces of rumors about new consoles from Sony and Microsoft. Even if they were to develop Zelda for another system, I would think it would be wiser to develop for the coming generation.

But then again, it's only rumors so far. Time will tell...

I don't think they would ever make that. And I good thing too, because I wouldn't even bother buying it. I don't know, it would just feel...different playing it on something that's not Nintendo, because I'm so used to playing the games on a Nintendo console. It would be like playing Halo on a play station. And I like LoZ games because of it's immersion with the console itself, like how you use the Wii remote to swing your sword, or write notes on your map with the Nintendo DS. And I have played games such as OOT, and MM when they didn't have those cool little nicks, but there's still that something about playing it on a Nintendo system.

Plus LoZ games are produced by Nintendo, so that's a marketing strategy as well, making people want to buy their consoles because of certain games. It sure does work on me.

Edited by Modphase
  • Brohoof 1

I don't have a 360 or a ps3, so no I would not buy the game. I really don't see how Nintendo would make any money doing this. They're already in enough trouble with money already. Nobody's gonna say "Oh, there's a Zelda game for the 360, I'm gonna go buy a wii-u and other Nintendo Games". Unless Nintendo still holds the rights to Legend of Zelda, and thereby gets paid by either Sony or Microsoft (Depending on who makes the game, if they do), every time a game is sold, Nintendo's just gonna dig themselves even deeper.

When nintendo no longer has the confidence to support themselves on their own hardware is the day I stop playing video games.  I guarantee if that happened the quality of their games would begin to decline.  Their creative spark would be gone and every game would be just as generic as pretty much every other game that comes out nowadays.

In short - creativity will suffer because they will be in it solely for the money at that point

When nintendo no longer has the confidence to support themselves on their own hardware is the day I stop playing video games.  I guarantee if that happened the quality of their games would begin to decline.  Their creative spark would be gone and every game would be just as generic as pretty much every other game that comes out nowadays.

In short - creativity will suffer because they will be in it solely for the money at that point

Hmm... Similar to what has happened to Sonic the Hedgehog and Sega. The last good (and first) Sonic game (for me) was Sonic Adventure 2 Battle for the GameCube. All other Sonic games since came up very short. The final nail in the coffin for my relationship with Sonic was the Sonic 2006 game.

That game was Hell on Earth.

• Brohoof 1

Lmao, that has as much likelyhood of happening as God of War on Nintendo or Halo on Playstation- not gonna happen, Zelda is Nintendo's series and theirs alone, and as long as they make hardware then the series will only show up on their systems, if you wanna play buy one and deal with it. B)

• Brohoof 2

• 3 months later...

What about this, The Legend Of Zelda by Nintendo, on Mac... possibly with a new controller that could be developed for mac usage, that would suit the console fans... eh?

As much as I'd love to see the game go multi-platform I'd rather it stay with Nintendo. Exclusives are one of the best ways to sell a console, as soon as a new Zelda game comes out I have no bout that the Wii U or 3DS will have a huge spike in sales. It's in Nintendo's best interests to keep it as an exclusive and I'd rather see them do well then worry about what platform I will play the game on. 

As a PC gamer I'd also be worried about the quality of the port, I'd rather buy the game on the Wii U and it be good, then wait for a poor PC release.

What about this, The Legend Of Zelda by Nintendo, on Mac... possibly with a new controller that could be developed for mac usage, that would suit the console fans... eh?

Games? On a Mac? What is this ? XD. In all seriousness, the Mac OS would be the very last thing Nintendo would consider releasing a game on.

It's in Nintendo's best interests to keep it as an exclusive.

Keeping it exclusive to the nintendo hardware, albeit makes there hardware more covetable and therefore more likely to sell however, if there were a separate version of the game developed in house by nintendo, for mac and pc... they would sell massive amounts and yet still keep a sense of that console exclusivity, through it being a separate version of the game rather than a carbon copy of the console game.

Imagine it, Zelda by nintendo for pc and mac, online gameplay and all that... bangin.

Keeping it exclusive to the nintendo hardware, albeit makes there hardware more covetable and therefore more likely to sell however, if there were a separate version of the game developed in house by nintendo, for mac and pc... they would sell massive amounts and yet still keep a sense of that console exclusivity, through it being a separate version of the game rather than a carbon copy of the console game.

Imagine it, Zelda by nintendo for pc and mac, online gameplay and all that... bangin.

You have to bear in mind that Nintendo have next to no PC knowledge, so unless they find a really good 3rd party company to port the game there's a high chance that the port will be awful. Therefore the potential sales are trimmed right down to a select few die hard Nintendo fans.

There's a few other things to consider to. How would you incorporate the Wii and Wii U controls onto the PC? A new controller? I doubt Nintendo would be willing to spend the money to do so just for a few more sales. Unless you expand across all gaming platforms there's no financial benefit to them

Furthermore the consoles themselves are generally sold at a loss, the money then made up by peripherals and game sales. What they then do is sell the console as a deal, for example the Wii U + another controller + a new game. That's how they make the money back and it's proven to work very well for them.

Nintendo also get 100% of the money from the console, therefore exclusives drive the sale of their consoles. They also have a reputation they want to keep along with keeping their primarily titles to themselves.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think Zelda franchise would expand to other consoles, we all know how that went with those Phillips CD-I Zelda games.  Plus, Zelda is one of Nintendo's largest franchises, and I don't think they'll ever share the name with Microsoft or Sony.  I'm a huge Zelda fan, and I have all the games (except for those god awful CD-I games), and playing it on my Xbox just wouldn't seem right.

You have to bear in mind that Nintendo have next to no PC knowledge, so unless they find a really good 3rd party company to port the game there's a high chance that the port will be awful. Therefore the potential sales are trimmed right down to a select few die hard Nintendo fans.

Since were talking about what if's here, "what if" nintendo got people in that have that all important PC knowledge, hire people that knew what they were doing in this regard. Yes there would be a considerable pay out involved in getting these guys in, it would be a massive project but in they end, they would make serious money through the expansion of there customer base.

There's a few other things to consider to. How would you incorporate the Wii and Wii U controls onto the PC? A new controller? I doubt Nintendo would be willing to spend the money to do so just for a few more sales. Unless you expand across all gaming platforms there's no financial benefit to them

I dont quite understand your reasoning, you could say what you've just said about any game previously on console that it is re developed, re imagined and then newly produced as a PC game. The point is, a PC version does not necessarily use the same type of controls that a console would and since it would be a "different' version of the game, the controls would be based around that. A separate controller made for pc compatibility is really just an idea, its obviously not something that would be vital to the game.

Your last points about Zelda being exclusive to there brand, that being a positive way of monetizing there bsuiness are things that we agree on. Yet I personally think that if they were to bring a game out called "Zelda" that was labelled with "Nintendo" there by in keeping with there Zelda exclusivity as nintendo product, whilst yet making it a Mac and PC game, they would expand there customer base dramatically, hugely... People would be talking about Zelda again in the mainstream, rather than on these weird little forum websites... lol :) 

The returns on something like that would be immense if they were to get it right.

I dont quite understand your reasoning, you could say what you've just said about any game previously on console that it is re developed, re imagined and then newly produced as a PC game. The point is, a PC version does not necessarily use the same type of controls that a console would and since it would be a "different' version of the game, the controls would be based around that. A separate controller made for pc compatibility is really just an idea, its obviously not something that would be vital to the game.   Your last points about Zelda being exclusive to there brand, that being a positive way of monetizing there bsuiness are things that we agree on. Yet I personally think that if they were to bring a game out called "Zelda" that was labelled with "Nintendo" there by in keeping with there Zelda exclusivity as nintendo product, whilst yet making it a Mac and PC game, they would expand there customer base dramatically, hugely... People would be talking about Zelda again in the mainstream, rather than on these weird little forum websites... lol  

You could, but then the game loses some core mechanics. I loved Twilight Princess and one of the reasons I liked was due to the Wii controls, it added more to the game and created a fresher experience. I think we can agree that the Wii version of that game was a lot better than the Gamecube version.

Nintendo love their peripherals, port a game to PC and you lose all of that. 

They also don't need to expand their user base, people will buy the console just for a new Zelda game. In fact I'm waiting on the next Zelda, Super Smash Bro's and Bayonetta 2 (which may be out already?) before I get one myself. Zelda is already a mainstream game which sells ridiculous amounts of copies, on a single platform.

Well, no. I wouldn't want that. It would be bad for business on Nintendo's part, as it's one of the core game series that keeps them in business.

I mean, I'd get it if one came out but that would not be ideal for Nintendo to make a profit.

I already agreed to myself not to buy a Wii U, mainly because of the controller's insultingly low battery life, and how I barely have anyone to share it with.

I was looking forward to everything from the new Zelda to the next Smash Bros, but I'm already hooked on PC gaming right now, and I'm not really the kind of person who would buy a new console just for 1 or 2 games.

I wish I could just see how Nintendo would do if they went down Sega's route, by giving up on hardware and becoming a third-party developer. Unfortunately, I don't really know how the gaming industry works.