Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does anypony even like the old generations?

Zach TheDane

Guys, guys, there is no such thing as a G2 animated series! My Little Pony Tales occurred at the tail end of G1 (1992). This is a common misconception. Apparently, even the Bronies documentary got that wrong. G2 was very short-lived, and didn't have much outside the toys to its name.

Sorry, just a nitpick! I understand that it'd be nice and organized for every generation to have a series. ;P

G1:

(My Little Pony)
- I only watched the specials and the movie. I loved the villains.

(My Little Pony Tales)

- Didn't watch much. But from what I did see, the series did give the ponies their own personalities. But no awesome villains.
G3:

- Did not watch. Saw reviews though. Perhaps the reviewers were playing up the bad clips, and none of its redeeming factors, but it doesn't look very enjoyable.

I liked the pilot for the first gen. It had some good action and it was alright. I especially liked Fire Fly.

I sort of liked the second gen. It was cute, sort of.

I passionately loathe the third and 3.5 gen. Do you even need to know why?

You can definitely see how G1 inspired Faust to create G4. FiM is basically the original except with better writing, better voice acting, and stylized art. G4 could very easily be a sequel/prequel to G1 instead of a reboot.

Well I loved Ponies when I was a little girl. However the only time I remember watching the ponies on tv, it was like, the apocalypse and this voclano, (or metorites, or some other dark awful flames from the sky idea) was killing thousands of ponies and they were all panicking. I remember Rainbow Bright also being pretty surprisingly serious. I loooooooved loved loved the old dolls. This latest cartoon series is far better, but I have to admit I bear no ill-will toward any of the older generations. 

Actually if anyone has any idea what series or episode I'm talking about, I would LOVE to rewatch it now!

Edited by bunnybuzki

The beginning of G1 had some good ideas but was very rough around the edges in execution in terms of story and character. Animation was kickass for its time, though, and the art looked like it belonged more in the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon by the same team rather than something for girls. I was a little surprised at how dark it could get, though- you're not going to hear a G4 villain threaten to *decapitate Spike*.

After that it sort of descended into generic 80s blah-ness- not very good but not astonishingly sub-par either.

My Little Pony Tales bugged the crap out of me for the few minutes I watched it, and I swear I got stupider every second I watched G3 and 3.5.

• 5 weeks later...

I've noticed there's a lot of hate for previous generations, specifically G3, in this fandom. Personally, I grew up with G3 ponies, and although the movies certainly have less depth than FiM, I still watch them and I still have a large collection of G3 pony toys as well as my growing collection of G4. 
Honestly, I was unsure about FiM at first- not for the reasons most people were, but because I didn't want it to change from my beloved G3. I thought the ponies looked weird, and I didn't like how they changed the characters. One day, though, I was bored and got curious about FiM. I bought the first episode on iTunes, and loved it to death. Now I love MLP in general, not just any single generation.

But that's beside the point. The point is, are there any other members of this fandom who like G3 as well?

• Brohoof 2

Before I read the actual post, I have but this to say: yes.

loljkroflcopter

I like the theme song for G3, but honestly after watching anything else of it I feel like a 2-year-old. And not in a good way. However, I do respect your opinion in every way.

• Brohoof 4

You're a girl, you probably grew up as hasbro's target audience. If not then you are, at the very least, the target gender. That means that there are bound to be girls who like G3 especially if they grew up with it. Yes, most male bronies strongly dislike G3 because it's basically just a bad cartoon for a lot of obvious reasons.

Edited by Bohtty
  • Brohoof 2

I really don't dislike any of the generations. It seems like younger bronies tend to be less likely to enjoy the older generations - I guess because they don't have any fond memories of them.

I will say that I definitely do like FiM the best out of all of them.

I was never interested in watching "My Little Pony" until the current version came out.  It never looked all that interesting in the past.  But the first time I saw the new character designs, I thought "that looks kind of cool."  And when I eventually watched the show, I loved it right away. 

• Brohoof 1

The way I tend to grow up is by adding new interests, not taking away the old ones, so I like a lot of things that could be considered childish. And yes, I pretty much was the target audience.

I can understand not liking it, too; FiM definitely is a lot better, show-wise. Better storylines, more developed characters... honestly, it is something a lot more people will enjoy.

• Brohoof 1

If you are a girl that likes the older generations I completely understand there. But honestly for me I just like this generation of the show and what it brought forth towards the table. I think it might be a bit odd for guys to like the older generations of my little pony for obvious reasons. But by no means that does not mean that they can't like it! Lol I don't care what other people watch enjoy what you like. IMO though the older generations of the show were specifically meant for little kids to watch. 

Edited by Gone ϟ Airbourne

I think it's one thing if you grew up with it, because then it ties it to your childhood,which most people have fond memories of..  I know I get nostalgic over some shows I grew up with in the 80s that, objectively speaking, are probably crap.

I do agree that older generations were much more... little-kiddish. FiM certainly is more well-written and appeals to a wider audience. I also do see your points. I'm totally fine with not liking them. I just don't like flat-out hatred on them. I don't like flat-out hatred on anything, really, no matter my opinion on it. Not that I've seen a lot of that, just a bit. Also, Gone Airbourne, I LOVE your avatar!

I found the G1 series reasonable at the time, with some issues that prevented them from being 'excellent'. The pacing was awful (and honestly Season 3 of FiM reminds me a *lot* of G1 with it's pacing), and the treatment of the human characters felt too much like the Messiah stereotype where the ponies are often incapable of solving their own issues and have to run to the human to fix everything for them.

G2 didn't have an animated series, so I can't speak to that.

G3 I found was too stereotypically written. The ponies worried about boys, clothes, and makeup, and while I can forgive the last two the way they approached the first was unforgivable. I cannot remember the exact episode, but the event that stuck in my mind was one filly who had a crush on a neglectful and borderline abusive jock colt, and this was presented as a *good* thing. The filly eventually convinced the colt to pay attention to her by being a complete doormat, reinforcing a very bad role model for girls. I'm sure the rest of the episodes were innocuous, but that one just set the tone for me. It felt like a lack of respect for the audience.

When was that??? I really don't remember that existing at all... It wasn't a steady animated series, just straight-to-video things every so often. I don't remember any romance whatsoever in G3, let alone something like that.

Actually, I know that couldn't have happened- there were (oddly enough; I always wondered why) no male ponies in G3. Maybe you're remembering something else?

Edited by Derpular

I didn't watch the show, however, when I was young I have G3 toys and loved them to death. I think I have vague memories of watching the show, though. The only reason I know about My Little Pony before FiM is because of those toys.

Edited by Lunatia

When was that??? I really don't remember that existing at all... It wasn't a steady animated series, just straight-to-video things every so often. I don't remember any romance whatsoever in G3, let alone something like that.
Actually, I know that couldn't have happened- there were (oddly enough; I always wondered why) no male ponies in G3. Maybe you're remembering something else?

I could have sworn it was G3, but my memory's not particularly clear on it. It was a more modern setting than G1 or G4, with a soda shop and the like. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Found it. It wasn't G3, as I thought, but late in the run of G1. My Little Pony Tales, which I thought *was* G3. Specifically the episode Just For Kicks.

Sorry about that, I had the various shows mapped to the wrong generation there. I'm not actually familiar enough with G3 to have any opinion on it, apparently. I'll have to take a closer look.

Edited by Fhaolan

I found the G1 series reasonable at the time, with some issues that prevented them from being 'excellent'. The pacing was awful (and honestly

G3 I found was too stereotypically written. The ponies worried about boys, clothes, and makeup, and while I can forgive the last two the way they approached the first was unforgivable. I cannot remember the exact episode, but the event that stuck in my mind was one filly who had a crush on a neglectful and borderline abusive jock colt, and this was presented as a *good* thing. The filly eventually convinced the colt to pay attention to her by being a complete doormat, reinforcing a very bad role model for girls. I'm sure the rest of the episodes were innocuous, but that one just set the tone for me. It felt like a lack of respect for the audience.

You're talking about My Little Pony Tales, which wasn't G3 or even G2 like some people think. In fact, I think it was technically still G1.  G3 is, well, like this:

I've noticed there's a lot of hate for previous generations, specifically G3, in this fandom. Personally, I grew up with G3 ponies, and although the movies certainly have less depth than FiM, I still watch them and I still have a large collection of G3 pony toys as well as my growing collection of G4. 

Honestly, I was unsure about FiM at first- not for the reasons most people were, but because I didn't want it to change from my beloved G3. I thought the ponies looked weird, and I didn't like how they changed the characters. One day, though, I was bored and got curious about FiM. I bought the first episode on iTunes, and loved it to death. Now I love MLP in general, not just any single generation.

But that's beside the point. The point is, are there any other members of this fandom who like G3 as well?

I adore every generation, including G3. I know the background looks really surgary compared to the other gens, but I barely even notice that anymore. When I watch G3, I see an adorable show with likeable characters, with distinct, relatable personalities - many of which would fit into FIM storylines with a bit more to it, but sometimes it's just as awesome on it's own. It's a very heart-warming show for me.

I tend to notice the simularities between FIM and the past Gens more than the differences, there's a lot more than newcomers seem to realize. While G1 gave the most direct inspiration to FIM (because the creator was a fan of it) it's obvious she and the other writers looked to G3 for inspiration in places, if only just to appeal to the G3 fans. Some scenes and lines are clearly inspired by G3, and two characters (hint; they're in my avatar) were transported almost directly to FIM - true they were made younger, and went through some changes, but they don't seem that different ultimately.

So no, you're not the only one who likes G3. I have a friend who likes it as well as me.

• Brohoof 1