Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does anypony even like the old generations?

Zach TheDane

I have only seen generation 3 as child but I can't stand any of them anymore. Especially generation 3.5.... UGH. It makes me think how I even found it interesting back then. It's amazing to see the show changed over the years to this one generation we all know love <333

Glad I see I'm not the only guy from the 80s to have watched pony and I still remember them quite well and enjoyed watching the first generation.

Be that as it may, I tried to watch tails version but couldn't get onto it and wasn't about to watch V3 by time it came about. But FIM has re-kindeled that old flame and I'm happy to see this finally coming full circle and bringing with it the positive things it so rightly deserves.

Edited by Argumedies

• 2 weeks later...

For real?  I thought that series was accompanied by a whole new toy line.  Why would they launch that cartoon without relaunching the merchandise also?  Oh well, you learn something new every day!

I just checked MLW, and as someone else said the main characters were released, but not in the US (I dunno if they existed in the UK, but their storylines (which are all the same) are in English, so I guess they were).  There was also the "Rockin' Beat Ponies" (who appeared in MLPT as "The Rocin' Beats" - a band formed by one of the main characters) and the "Glow and Show Ponies" (who appeared in one episode, unnamed) that were released a year or two before MLPT aired.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Just to comment on the OP picture, you defiantly know you're a brony when you know the Flutterhshy in this picture isn't the real one. Did anyone else notice? tongue.png

To be more on topic: I can't stand the older generations.

Edited by Crimzo

I do not like the old generations (especialy G2 and 3)
but I do sometimes like to watch the pilot episode of the first mlp series, just because its wierd and has almost no sence of logic, making it realy hilarious XD

(edited)

As an adult, I've only ever seen G3. And it's really, really awful. My main gripe is that the "problems" the ponies have to face are non-problems. Oh, I spilled some juice, oh, let's clean it up. Like, what is the point? It doesn't teach anything, it doesn't make for a good story, and it's not even interesting. And all the problems in the show are like that. These entirely wimpy issues that can't even be called as such. And this is what we want little girls to watch for entertainment. That's. Disgraceful.

For the record, though, I can't comment on G2 or G1, as I haven't seen them before. At least, not since before I have any memory of the show.

Edited by Clover Heart

I don't like the older cartoons. They were dumbed down for kids. Only Gen 4 is written for everyone.

The looks, music, and stories were all bad.

Watching an older generation toon is as painful as watching Teletubbies.

I don't like the older cartoons. They were dumbed down for kids. Only Gen 4 is written for everyone.

The looks, music, and stories were all bad.

Watching an older generation toon is as painful as watching Teletubbies.

The only one that was "dumbed down for kids" was G3.5 (which, is actually what Clover Heart is thinking of - trust me.)  It's true that FIM expanded on things a little more, but that was because it was written from a fan's perspective.  A fan of MLP thought certain things could be explained a little more, and they were.  All the other previous generations have exactly what FIM has; relateable characters, interesting and thought provoking storylines.  Even if they weren't written for everyone, they can still appeal to everyone.

The thing is about G3 (not G3.5) is that you need to watch a few episodes of it to really decide if you like it or not (I love it myself) it alternates between having really helpful moral building and conflicting episodes (like what FIM has) and having simple "just for fun" episodes that are just cute and entertaning.

@Clover Heart: You are thinking of G3.5.

• 1 month later...

Are there any fans of the older (non Lauren Faust) series of MLP?

I honestly don't like the G4 series. Can't stand them, could only watch six episodes before calling it quits, only laughed once when they showed the infirmary of sick &/or dying ponies(baked bads, hah). I wanted to see what bronies enjoyed about them...I still can't see it.

Then, I went back and watch an episode from the G1 series called Bright lights...I crapped my pants with laughter.

An evil Michael Jackson pony and his pedo-smile zebra manager use a satchel to steal the souls errr "shadows" of their audience to feed to an evil wizard made of smog....That is awesome. And I want to see more. Thank you youtube.

So there you have it, I'm sold, call me a G1 brony. Are their any others out there?

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I've never sat down and watched g2, but g1 and g3 i'm actually a huge fan of. (g3.5, however......) I grew up with Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash, and when I first saw G4, my first words were literally:
"They. gave. HER. WINGS?!"
And I've been hooked ever since. 
Although, part of being a G1 brony is not being able to look at Applejack and think....
"Who's a silly pony? <3"

Edited by SkyeRibbonPwny
  • Brohoof 1

Well, you certainly have a different unique taste on the topic so far...

Anyways, I don't mind, after all, the point is to just enjoy what you like, to not let others judge what you like.

Anyways, to be honest, for me? Sort of.

Next to G4, if I had to pick a different generation to choose besides G4, it would have to be G1.

Why? Well, it was interesting, first of the entire my little pony series, and believe it or not, was actually pretty dark and creepy with the villain and his evil doing.

Ho man your description really makes me wanna watch g1. I tried watching the movie, and while it was "hahaha I'm watching a dumb movie" eventually it came to the point where I realized I was alone and didn't have anyone to make fun jokes with :c

Other than you, though, the only male brony I can name would be Chrischan and lets be honest none of us wanna be like him, do we?

Are there any fans of the older (non Lauren Faust) series of MLP?

I honestly don't like the G4 series. Can't stand them, could only watch six episodes before calling it quits, only laughed once when they showed the infirmary of sick &/or dying ponies(baked bads, hah). I wanted to see what bronies enjoyed about them...I still can't see it.

Then, I went back and watch an episode from the G1 series called Bright lights...I crapped my pants with laughter.

An evil Michael Jackson pony and his pedo-smile zebra manager use a satchel to steal the souls errr "shadows" of their audience to feed to an evil wizard made of smog....That is awesome. And I want to see more. Thank you youtube.

So there you have it, I'm sold, call me a G1 brony. Are their any others out there?

I don't believe you.  Not at all.  I also wouldn't believe you'd register for a site for a series you don't like.  That just doesn't make any sense.  If I didn't know better; I'd say you're trolling.

• Brohoof 1

I like G1, I really do. Some of my most liked ponies are from it, too. (Such as Heart throb. yay.png  )
G2 I'm not as much as a fan of.

I LOVE early G3. I REALLY love early G3. (2002-2006.) My most favourite pony EVER is from it.  tumblr_m7c42rRnAc1qdfw74.gif Skywishes!~ 

Now, G3 from 2006 and onward, I classify with G3.5. I really ain't a huge fan of the two. G3.5....Is meh...

Now, if not for G4, I wouldn't like them. G4 got me into ponies. :U  I really think G3 and such needs less hate. They had different demographic targets, and people are just mean to them. (Remember, G4 was aimed at the FAMILY. Not just little girls. )

I like G1, I really do. Some of my most liked ponies are from it, too. (Such as Heart throb. img-1459804-1-yay.png  )

G2 I'm not as much as a fan of.

I LOVE early G3. I REALLY love early G3. (2002-2006.) My most favourite pony EVER is from it.  img-1459804-2-tumblr_m7c42rRnAc1qdfw74.g Skywishes!~ 

Now, G3 from 2006 and onward, I classify with G3.5. I really ain't a huge fan of the two. G3.5....Is meh...

Now, if not for G4, I wouldn't like them. G4 got me into ponies. :U  I really think G3 and such needs less hate. They had different demographic targets, and people are just mean to them. (Remember, G4 was aimed at the FAMILY. Not just little girls. )

NO WAY! SKY WISHES IS MY FAVORITE TOO! I loved her because we have he same name,and originally, my oc was her sister <3 that is so cool someone else likes my Sky Wishes. <3 And is that star catcher? loooooooove her. And Minty and Kimono!!! <3

• Brohoof 2

NO WAY! SKY WISHES IS MY FAVORITE TOO! I loved her because we have he same name,and originally, my oc was her sister <3 that is so cool someone else likes my Sky Wishes. <3 And is that star catcher? loooooooove her. And Minty and Kimono!!! <3

You my friend, are amazing. Skywishes best pony! And yes, it is Star Catcher. Minty and Kimono are also awes-mazing!~ I'm really happy now, to know others like Skywishes too! 

• Brohoof 1

I am a big fan of g1 and my little pony tales.i started watching them as a kid in the 1990s and i watched all the way up to g4 wgich i love alot. I collect g1 and g4 ponies and stuff. And i have a lot of g1 ponies

• Brohoof 1

I think Bloody Murder's problem with G4 was that he expected it to be an outright comedy when its strengths come from its sweetness and characterization rather than the jokes.

Anyway, I've only seen a little of the older gens and while what I saw wasn't painful to watch I could tell very quickly it wasn't for me.  Maybe someday I'll give them another shot out of curiosity, but I think I'm mainly a G4 fan.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

As a fan of the old G1, ya still gotta remember that there's nearly 30 years difference in graphics and technology.

For what they were worth, back then it was good and it was on par with a lot of other cartoons at the time.

The story's and the art may be different but the concept is still the same

Edited by Argumedies