Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does anypony even like the old generations?

Zach TheDane

As a fan of the old G1, ya still gotta remember that there's nearly 30 years difference in graphics and technology.

For what they were worth, back then it was good and it was on par with a lot of other cartoons at the time.

The story's and the art may be different but the concept is still the same

I used to watch the older gens when I was very young, but I don't think I would like them if I compared them to fim. Still, I understand what you mean. I just find it creepy how they look exactly like the old franchise (which makes sense, as they were trying to sell stuff), and I just don't think it's that good. But, I don't mind if you like it, I suppose it's just a difference in opinion.

I was a member of the target audience at the time of G1 and I liked it then because I liked horses. But looking back, it was just another kids show that reinforced archaic gender roles in the name of making sales. I like G4 because while its main purpose is still to sell toys, it challenges archaic gender roles. Girls who watch the show today will have a better chance of developing strong, positive self-identities than my generation did. I've never seen the generations in between.

(edited)

@@Derpular,

@@Bloody Murder,

Hello there. Your topics were both related to asking for others' opinions on specific previous generations of MLP, and as this older thread already existed for the purpose of sharing our opinions on all previous generations, I have merged your topics with it.

Edited by DashForever

I used to watch the older gens when I was very young, but I don't think I would like them if I compared them to fim. Still, I understand what you mean. I just find it creepy how they look exactly like the old franchise (which makes sense, as they were trying to sell stuff), and I just don't think it's that good. But, I don't mind if you like it, I suppose it's just a difference in opinion.

That's no biggy. Back then we didn't have but a few choices in channels to watch and only if you had your ears pointed in the right direction so any cartoon was golden and G1 intrigued me back then... course now its like.. what the hell was I thinking!... I definetly like FIM better now. But back then...

And besides.. if it wasn't for G1... you wouldn't be here now ;)

I don't think so, honestly.

There WAS a reason why they changed to this generation, because the old generations were overly girly and were recieving such a massive amount of hate that they canceled it, and Lauren Faust changed the show so every pony would like it. :)

I liked the original series. My older sister made me watch it with her when we were little. The theme music has stuck with me for many years. It could just be nostalgic but I have gone back recently to watch it and I do still enjoy it. Now the G3 series... I'm not against it but I wouldn't choose to watch it.

Nope. Never seen them nor will I ever bother to look up the old versions. Maybe if someone else liked the old series and recommended it to me I might check it out but that's probably not gonna happen.

As a fan of the old G1, ya still gotta remember that there's nearly 30 years difference in graphics and technology.

For what they were worth, back then it was good and it was on par with a lot of other cartoons at the time.

The story's and the art may be different but the concept is still the same

yea, just imagine that far back it was all drawn by hand one cel at a time! you did not have the fan made animation we have today because it would have taken weeks/months just to animate a short skit

(edited)

G1 was okay, I watched, like, half of an episode on Youtube. happy.png Some of the characters were likable, probably because they were the base for some of the G4 ponies. It can't even touch G4 though. img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png

G3.5 was terrible. No question.

Edited by Rainbow Sherbet

G1 is okay. Not great- but not terrible either.

G2 hits every point that I hate about most cartoons.

G3 somehow manage to be even worse.

G3.5.... Kill it with fire.

• 1 year later...

Do I like the older generations? Not as such, no.

But I certainly think it'd be an interesting history lesson. Even if I sat down and watched them all, I doubt I'd like it.

Normally the boundaries of what I watch on television don't involve cartoons, but MLP is something pretty special!

Not many do. G1 is a cheesy 80's cartoon, G2(or is it 1.5? Or nothing? Some say G2 doesn't have a cartoon, excuse me for the confusion) was some kind of dumb school drama thing with ponies, and G's 3 and 3.5 are just awfully animated/written girly mush garbage... excuse me for not being interested in any of that compared to what MLP is now. :blink:

• 1 month later...

G3 and G3.5 are horrible.

G3.5 was terrible. No question.

G3 somehow manage to be even worse. G3.5.... Kill it with fire.

G's 3 and 3.5 are just awfully animated/written girly mush garbage...

Aw, come on, people, G3 isn't that bad.

I for one enjoy Tales for its simultaneous explicitness and innocence, and especially G3-G3.5 for providing me with pure cheerfulness and lush spectacle.

Still have to find my way into G1.

The older generation faces looked more hippo like and less equine.

What I love about FIM is the faces look very human. Very easy to relate.

In G4 they look more like toons with those anime-like huge eyes instead of normal cartoony ponies. And they at least are realistically done.