Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does anypony even like the old generations?

Zach TheDane

Lauren Faust brought epic action and story lines to a drab personalty deprived, sin against all art work average and holy.

she took a glorified ad and made it into the wildest nerdgasm ever. so....

no I don't like the old gens.

:maud:

and I have no interests in watching them beyond the few clips I watched

I like the first one. Not very substantial in comparison to our beloved series, but it laid the groundwork for a fantasy world with lots of perils and villains. This might sound odd, but I'd almost think that the old world was perhaps a little too dark actually!

There were always monsters and super villains after the ponies, the "heroes" themselves weren't as powerful or intelligent as the Mane Six, and the closest to a world saving deific figure was the leader of the Flutter Ponies who defeated the Smooze. 

For a quick comparison, where Equestria is very much the world of heroic myth, with gods and virtuous heroes performing great deeds. Ponyland (ugh) was more like a Grim Fairytale, saccharine on the surface, but sinister all elsewhere. 

Why do you think Tirek was by far the greatest threat the Mane Six have faced? He's straight lifted from a generation where villains were either campy and silly or monstrous and hyper-competent with very little in between.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

There are some of the G1 i do miss,  and

it was a childhood fav of mine as a kid growing

up and such!

Wind Whistler was one and still is one

my fav ponies of G1 and I would love

to have a G4 of her if anything!

Galaxy is also a good one

I would love to see more of in FIM if anything!

• Brohoof 1

I have enjoyed FiM enough so far that I decided to take a journey through the past gens of MLP, largely to fill the void while I wait for a new season, but mostly because I felt like I was out of the loop whenever past gens were brought up, which happens more than you'd think around here. I've finished the first series and am most of the way through Pony Tales. They aren't perfect by any means, but I've found something to like about both series, despite Pony Tales being unpopular. It's not actually any mystery to me why people don't care much for it, mind you. Even G1 is an acquired taste. Still, I'm glad I've seen them. I'm not sure if I'd see them again, and am not positive owning any past gen DVD is in my future(not that owning Pony Tales is even an option in my region). I do want FiM on DVD though. As for G3 and 3.5, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Aw, come on, people, G3 isn't that bad.

I for one enjoy Tales for its simultaneous explicitness and innocence, and especially G3-G3.5 for providing me with pure cheerfulness and lush spectacle.

Still have to find my way into G1.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that Gen 3 is that bad, but that I also was wrong about 3.5 being as bad as I claimed... since I was actually under the impression that 3.5 was "Newborn Cuties".

Yes, a few months ago after getting outside of the Brony echo chamber (it was very much an echo chamber on the early generations, trust me), I decided to check out the earlier generations and I'm glad I did!

I don't like them as much as FiM. Although I did still like them. I actually like G3 toys the best. G4 toys can not compare.

Wind Whistler was one and still is one

my fav ponies of G1 and I would love

to have a G4 of her if anything!

I loved Wind Whistler! Glad I'm not the only one!

• Brohoof 2

Yes, a few months ago after getting outside of the Brony echo chamber (it was very much an echo chamber on the early generations, trust me), I decided to check out the earlier generations and I'm glad I did!

I don't like them as much as FiM. Although I did still like them. I actually like G3 toys the best. G4 toys can not compare.

I loved Wind Whistler! Glad I'm not the only one!

Yah I loved to have a peggy with some

brains on the show if you ask me! We need

more nerd!

• Brohoof 1

• 7 years later...

I enjoyed G1 quite a bit. It had some really cool villains I wish were in Friendship Is Magic. I also liked some of the ponies. Wind Whistler, Fizzy, and Firefly were the ones that stood out the most to me. I also noticed that there were a lot of ideas that were reused in G4. MLP Tales was a step down from the original show. All of the fantasy elements were stripped away. It was pretty much High School Musical with ponies rather than humans. There were a few good episodes but some were not of my taste. G3 started out fine. It brought back the fantasy elements that define the franchise yet there were no actual villains like that of G1. The episodes got progressively worse over time; the bottom of the barrel was Newborn Cuties, which needs no introduction.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I like G1 out of all the pre-FIM generations.

I honestly find the storytelling and personalities rather weak, but I do love my favorite G1 ponies.

One of my G1 favorites is Firefly, who was the inspiration for G4 Rainbow Dash.

Who loves both Firefly and G4 Rainbow Dash here?

:wub:

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

I grew up with the early G3 so it's very close to me. I think the character design is way underrated, some of the colors on the ponies are so nice and they're much more visually interesting than a lot of G4 ponies in my opinion. I strongly dislike G3.5 though, and Core 7 G3 isn't my favorite :awwthanks: I don't blame anyone for liking them though. I'm also a big fan of G1, and I think G2 is very underrated! I adore the art style on the merchandise for G2.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...