Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is preferred in the stories?

jreidsma

Hi again everyone :)

One of my friends wrote "ghost stories" and "Shifting Shadow" http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3854265/PrelateZ and I think they turned out nicely. So I have the idea to write my own maybe.

I have an idea, but I have a few questions first to see what would be preferred in a fanfic/story:

Use the mane 6 and OC's or only OC's?

What should the "vibe" be? (Or however you would explain that?)

Then should I stay clear of using things/items actually used in the show?

I found some pony name generators and got a decent list using my name and my username ;):P lol.

My problem with using the mane 6 or items used in the show is that if something new comes out in the show, then the story becomes outdated or wrong.

It has given me something to think about today I guess ;)^_^

Edited by jreidsma
  • Brohoof 1

Well I'm gonna say right now that I don't read many Fanfics or anything, but I think in my opinion you only want to use the Mane 6 IF it makes sense. That means you have to have them doing things that would make sense for their character and nothing super abstract. And honestly I still think the Main Character should be an OC of some sort I think, unless again it makes sense.

In my opinion its all about what truly makes sense.

• Brohoof 1

I think tomorrow I may just plan out what the characters would look like and some of the stuff like that.

I agree with what you said, about using the mane six. OC's would let you develope the story in your own direction and enable you to do pretty much whatever you want (without killing ponies or anything disturbing like that, I don't like those kinds of things. Especially not after reading that THING; my friend told me to read cupcakes as my first fanfic...).

While if you use the mane six you have a connection point with the audience. But you have fixed roles you have to follow and if you screw up you may quickly end your story :P

This is probably going to come off as really noncommittal, but it really all depends on what you want to be the story to be. As for Mane 6 v.s. OCs, as long as you write the characters well enough, it doesn't really matter. Heck, I've seen quite a few fanfics that use a cast of only OCs to good effect. As for the "vibe," again, it depends on what type of story you're going to write. As for things that are canon from the show, the more the better, in my opinion, as long as it doesn't interfere with the plot.

• Brohoof 1

I have spent most of my free time during school writing this fanfic. We had exams and an hour lunch the last three days. I don't study at all and I finish the exams extra early with at least an hour after each to write on this.

Don't worry, I got A's or B+'s on all of my exam's :)

I used all OC's and tried not to interfere with the plot of the show any. I did use changelings but none of the main ones and none of the actual swarm ones. I did use Canterlot quite a bit but oh well, everyone seems to :P;)

Tried to put some action and a bit of suspense into it, but I hate the gory fic's like cupcakes or anything were they actually kill off the main good characters so I stayed clear of that. No intense gore or anything.

After I finish it I will have to post it, I don't know how well it will seem to everyone else on here. But you never know until you try I guess ;)

• Brohoof 1