Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should I eventually upload these?

Zacharias

I've been working on a 8-bit ROM modification in almost all my free time for a little more than a year now. Of course it's going to be a "ponyfication hack" complete with new levels, graphics, enemy AI, and music.

Music, which is not completely original, but still, it's going to be part of something MLP when I release it.

(ROM hacks use 8-bit covers for music 99% of the time...)

So my question is, can I upload my 8-bit arrangements and covers to Pony.fm once my project is finished? All the songs are from other videogames, mostly from past 8-bit platforms, but I'd rather just ask before I do something I shouldn't.

I've been working on a 8-bit ROM modification in almost all my free time for a little more than a year now. Of course it's going to be a "ponyfication hack" complete with new levels, graphics, enemy AI, and music.

Music, which is not completely original, but still, it's going to be part of something MLP when I release it.

(ROM hacks use 8-bit covers for music 99% of the time...)

So my question is, can I upload my 8-bit arrangements and covers to Pony.fm once my project is finished? All the songs are from other videogames, mostly from past 8-bit platforms, but I'd rather just ask before I do something I shouldn't.

If it's a FiM fan game, its soundtrack is fair game for Pony.fm. I understand you are putting your own renditions of the music together for the game, not uploading a straight rip of third-party soundtracks, right?

The general rule of thumb for Pony.fm is: if you had ponies in mind when writing a piece, it's probably pony fan music.

If it's a FiM fan game, its soundtrack is fair game for Pony.fm. I understand you are putting your own renditions of the music together for the game, not uploading a straight rip of third-party soundtracks, right?

The general rule of thumb for Pony.fm is: if you had ponies in mind when writing a piece, it's probably pony fan music.

No, of course they aren't rips. I have to "program" the music myself (I don't even copy-paste code) to fit the limitations of the game, so even if I take an other song from the same console, it's going to sound different because the game I'm working on has a very simple sound driver.

• Brohoof 1

But that brings up a good point. Forgive me, please, if this has already been addressed.

Would every song uploaded to pony.fm have to be pony related, or would there be like some sort of "everfree forest" section in the site? I understand every artist would be a brony musician, but i'm talking about individual tracks.

the Phony Brony

No, of course they aren't rips. I have to "program" the music myself (I don't even copy-paste code) to fit the limitations of the game, so even if I take an other song from the same console, it's going to sound different because the game I'm working on has a very simple sound driver.

Then upload away. :D Truth be told, I think it would be really awesome to have various fan game and fanimation projects choosing Pony.fm as the place to host their official soundtracks.

But that brings up a good point. Forgive me, please, if this has already been addressed.

Would every song uploaded to pony.fm have to be pony related, or would there be like some sort of "everfree forest" section in the site? I understand every artist would be a brony musician, but i'm talking about individual tracks.

the Phony Brony

There are no plans at this time to allow non-pony music of any kind on Pony.fm. What makes Pony.fm special is that it's conceived as a fan site in the truest sense of the term. It is meant to be a place that the FiM fandom can gather around and call its own, and know full well that it's the place to go for all things fan music.

Keeping the focus relatively narrow like that will help bring out all the features the site will have specifically designed for pony music and will prevent the community from becoming diluted with content that, in all honesty, most of the site's visitors will not be interested in. It'll also go a long way toward keeping the infrastructural costs of the place in check...

With that said, Pony.fm has a very organized codebase and could feasibly be readapted into a general music hosting site at some point down the line. I can't say whether I'll ever do that or not, because competing with SoundCloud or Bandcamp isn't really what I'm after, but you never know.

• Brohoof 2