Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

[fanfic] The Clothes Make The Mare (draft 2, pre-readers wanted!)

ocalhoun

Twilight Sparkle wants to talk to Celestia about a disturbing issue she's discovered... but what she ends up learning will change her life forever.

~7000 words

-Slice of life/drama

-Twilight Sparkle, Celestia (and a little Shining Armor & Cadance)

-Suitable for all ages

I'm (desperately) looking for pre-readers! Please read and tell me what you think, in as much detail as possible. What worked? What didn't? What was overdone? What wasn't done enough? Please please please let me know!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Clothes Make The Mare

Chapter 1

Twilight Sparkle reviewed her checklist one more time. She knew everything was ready: her list had been perfect the last five times... but checking it over again gave herself something to think about, something to do other than sitting and staring out through the window as she waited. Outside, the sun shone brightly, baking Ponyville in one of the last hot, lazy days of summer.

Window-gazing wasn't exactly the most engrossing thing Twilight could do right now, but her intense preoccupation wouldn't allow much in the way of distractions. Eight months had gone by since she had seen her brother, or her favorite foalsitter for that matter. She missed them terribly... but soon, her wait would be over. The clock on her windowsill ticked again. Now only three hours and twenty-six minutes! She should have groaned, perhaps, at her pitiful clock-watching state, but any thought of self-reproval was swamped by her ever-growing anticipation.

She knew it wouldn't be particularly healthy to spend all afternoon this way, but she –

Knock – Knock – Knock

“Omigosh! They're early!” Twilight raced down the library's steps, singing, “Yes-Yes-Yes-Yes!” the whole way.

She skidded to a stop in front of the door, just before Spike opened it... and there they were: right on her doorstep, large as life.

“Sunshine, sunshine – ladybugs awake; clap your hooves and do a little shake!”

She hopped up from her dance, right into her brother's waiting hug.

“Twiley!” Shining Armor gave her a big squeeze before setting her down again. “So, what trouble has my little sis been getting herself in lately?”

“Oh, duels with all of Ponyville at stake, riding balloons through tornadoes... the usual,” she said with a wink. She started trembling a little. She could barely contain herself. “Ooh! We have so much to catch up on! Where do I begin? There's Rainbow... did you know she finally got accepted into–”

“Uh, Twiley?” Shining Armor put a hoof on her shoulder.

Yes?!”

“You think we could head inside first?” He looked over at his wife, who was visibly wilting a little in the heat.

“Oh! I am so sorry! I just–” Twilight stopped herself. “Come in, come in!”

As soon as she stepped into the cool tree house, she called for Spike. “Spike! Where's my checklist?”

“Right here, where you left it.” The little dragon didn't seem happy about the day's drama so far.

“Good!” She reviewed it once more as her guests made their way inside: Item one: Let them in. Ruefully, she checked that one off. Item two: Offer refreshment. That, she could do! She was determined to be a good host. “Spike!

“I'm right here, Twilight.”

“Start the tea, please, and hurry. We're way behind schedule.”

The little dragon waddled off toward the kitchen, grumbling a little under his breath, but Cadance stopped him. “Oh, you're making tea? Here, put some of this in it.” Wrapped in a magical glow, a little package floated out of her saddlebag and over to the dragon. “I brought it as a gift for Twilight, so why not try some now?”

“Um, sure, why not?” He grabbed it out of the air and continued on into the kitchen, no longer grumbling.

“So, can I offer you any tea or anything?” Twilight asked, as if nothing had just happened.

As they stared at her incredulously, both Shining Armor's and Cadance's eyebrows rose in unison.

Twilight's polite smile grew just a little more forced.

“Ah, sure,” Cadance said, “That would be lovely.”

With visible relief, Twilight marked off another item on the checklist. Next item: Small talk. “So, how was your trip? Did you–”

Twilight.”

She stopped instantly. “Yes, Cadance?”

“Twilight, just relax. It's okay. Really.”

“But...” Twilight knew she should... but she just couldn't. “But it's been so long, and I just want everything to be perfect. I have to–”

Twiley, we don't want a lot of fuss, okay?” Shining Armor moved over close and gave her another hug. “That's why we came alone, so that we could spend some time, just the three of us.”

“But...”

“Twiley... put down the checklist, please.”

“But...” She looked over at Cadance, and back to her brother. “Without it, I might forget to–”

“For your BBBFF?”

Twilight's heart melted a little, and she was able to breathe a little easier. “Well... okay.” She set it down on a nearby shelf. “But now, how will I know what to talk about?”

Cadance laughed. “Well, for starters, what was that about dueling for all of Ponyville?”

“Oh, that?” Twilight tittered nervously. “Did I ever tell you about a unicorn named 'Trixie'?”

“I don't think so.”

Well it's a long story, but she first came to Ponyville quite a while ago, before–”

Tea's ready!” Spike stopped her story short as he came out of the kitchen wearing his favorite apron and carrying a tray.

“Oh, good. Thank you, Spike.” Twilight quickly poured three cups, being sure to serve her guests first: her etiquette books had insisted on that point. “Like I was saying, that first time was well before the two of you got married. She had come into town with her traveling magic act...” She took a sip of her tea, and she momentarily lost track of her story. “Wow. This is really good stuff. What is it?”

Shining Armor laughed. “I'm glad you like it.”

“It's made with crystal berry seeds,” Cadance answered. “That's what adds the extra flavor.”

“Had to bring something back for my favorite sister!” Shining Armor tussled Twilight's hair, just the way he always had.

Only sister.” Twilight rolled her eyes, but she smiled widely. “So how are things going up in the Crystal Empire, anyway?”

“It's been wonderful.” A dreamy smile crossed Cadance's face. “Those crystal ponies are some of the nicest ponies you'll ever meet. Maybe it's just the crystal heart's aura, but they really do seem so wonderful to be around.”

And,” Shining Armor added, “being gone for a thousand years, they don't have any of the prejudices ponies have built up... and that makes things really nice for me.”

“Huh?” Twilight honestly had no clue what he was talking about. “What prejudices?”

“It's just, there, I don't get looked down on.” He laughed a little. “It's nice that they can treat everypony equally.”

What?” Confusion gnawed on Twilight. Her brother was making no sense at all. “How is that different from here?”

“It's just all the ideas about 'a stallion's proper place' and everything never took hold there. You get to see what society was like before ponies started thinking that way. There, nopony looks down on you because you're a stallion.”

“And they do here?” Twilight couldn't believe it. She had never read anything about–

“Of course they do,” Cadance assured her. “Attitudes like that are common all across Equestria.

“But they can't be,” Twilight insisted. “I've never seen anything like that.”

Cadance and Shining Armor looked at each other... They looked back at Twilight.

“Hm... I suppose it's not the kind of thing they would put in books...” Cadance glanced back over at her husband.

“And you don't have any close friends who are stallions, do you?” Shining Armor looked thoughtful for a moment.

What are you two talking about?” Twilight was getting a little perturbed now. She hated it when she discovered things that every other pony seemed to already know.

“Don't worry about it.” Shining Armor put on what must have been meant to be a reassuring look. “Just get back to your story. What kind of traveling–”

Oh, no.” Twilight wasn't about to let this issue slide. “You two tell me about it right now.”

“It really isn't important.” Shining Armor began to look uncomfortable.

Tell me!” Twilight knew she was being rude. She didn't care anymore.

Shining Armor and Cadance shared a pained look.

Finally, Cadance broke down. “Twilight, in most of Equestria stallions are seen as being inferior to mares.”

“That can't be true.” Twilight had never noticed anything of the sort. “That doesn't happen here. Not in Ponyville.”

Cadance became just a little condescending. “Have you noticed who does all the manual labor jobs around here, Twilight?”

“Well...” They were pretty much all done by stallions... “But, they're just better at it.”

“Like mares are better at being mayors, or princesses?” She pointed at her own royal jewlery.

“But look at Shining Armor!” Twilight had them there, for sure. “He's a stallion, and he's captain of the royal guard for pony's sake.”

“The first stallion to hold that position in more than eight hundred years.” An unmistakable look of pride crossed her brother's face as he said it. “And let me tell you, it wasn't easy.”

Now, military history, Twilight did know. “What? But what about Blazing shield? He was your predecessor.”

She.

“But the history books all say–”

“I've already said more than I should, little sis... You should ask Princess Celestia if you want any more answers about that... I'm not allowed to talk about it.”

Cadance leaned in close. “Believe me, Twilight. Gender discrimination is a big problem in Equestria... All the more so because many ponies don't even realize it's there sometimes.” She gave Twilight a nudge. “I bet you've even done it without realizing you did.”

“That's ridiculous!” Twilight might be able to accept that about other ponies, but herself? Never. “I'm going to get to the bottom of this right now.” She turned around, looking for her little dragon. “Spike, take a letter.”

Spike still wearing his apron, raised an eyebrow meaningfully.

Twilight's eyes widened, and her mouth dropped open.

You know,” Cadance added helpfully, “In dragon society, it's the other way around; males are dominant.”

Stunned and more than a little sheepish, Twilight turned back around. “Never mind, Spike. I'll just write this one myself.”

Thank you so much for giving me your input on this letter, guys.” Twilight gave her brother and foalsitter another hug.

“It was nothing, really.” He patted her on the head as she let them go again.

“And I'm just glad we were finally able to stop by and catch up for once without the fate of the world hanging in the balance.” Cadance giggled. “You'll come and visit us in the Crystal Empire?”

“Of course!” Twilight beamed her brightest smile. “And I'll bring my friends, too. You know they love it there...” She glanced side to side conspiratorially. “especially Rarity.”

In front of Twilight's house, the two royal guards harnessed to their chariot snorted in impatience.

With a wince, Shining Armor turned to leave. “Well, duty calls. I wish we could spend more time here, Twiley.”

“It's okay. I know how it goes.” Twilight had gone through more than her own share of royal duty in her years. “You get going, and I promise to visit soon.”

“I'll remember that promise!” Cadance called out as she stepped up into the chariot. “And I'll see you then!”

Before Twilight could reply, the chariot whisked her guests away. Whatever they were busy with, it really must have been urgent.

Turning back inside, she held the rolled-up letter in front of her with a violet glow. She would find out about this... and she would do her part to fix it. Though she was reluctant to use him now, Spike was the fastest way to send it. “Spike, could you send this please?”

“Of course, Twilight. It really is no big deal, you know.” Snatching the scroll form the air, he burned it quickly, sending the smoke spiraling out through a window.

“But I never even realized I was doing it.” Twilight could still scarcely believe it herself. “I guess it's just that wen the culture around you is so steeped in it, you get used to it and don't even notice.”

“I told you, it's okay.” Spike waddled around the library, cleaning up after their guests: something Twilight did notice now... thought she might not have earlier. “I like being your assistant.”

Twilight used a burst of her magic to teleport the dirty teacups into the kitchen. She resolved to to her part of the chores from now on.

“You really don't have to do that, Twi.” Spike evidently wasn't used to that though. “I can manage just fine without–” He broke off what he was saying, and a strained look crossed his face before he belched out a gout of green flame. It coalesced into a letter before falling to the ground. Picking it up and unrolling it, he began to read, “My faithful student, Twilight, I would indeed like to discuss this issue with you, among other things. Please come to Canterlot – alone – at your earliest convenience.” The little dragon flipped the letter over, turned it back to the original side, and even held it upside-down before saying, “That's all there is.”

Well that was interesting. At least Princess Celestia wanted to see her and talk about it... but what was that 'alone' business about? And what 'other things' did she want to discuss? “Spike, can you finish up here?”

“Sure.”

Twilight thought for a moment, and checked her (meticulously organized) schedule. “And can you make sure my friends know where I went?” She noticed a conflict on the schedule. “And tell Fluttershy that I'll have to reschedule the picnic?”

“Well, I guess so.”

Thanks!” She gave the baby dragon a big hug before heading for the door. “And don't worry! I'll be back by tomorrow morning.”

Chapter 2

“Princess Celestia!”

Twilight! I'm so glad you were able to make it.” She rested in her favorite spot: that lovely cushion in front of her fireplace. Even as a fill, Twilight hadn't often been invited into Celestia's private quarters. It was still quite an honor that the guards had directed here to see The Princess here.

Twilight made a short bow before rushing up to her mentor. “What's wrong? Why did you need to see me? And why alone?”

“All in good time, my faithful student.” She stood up, stretching luxuriantly in the process. “First, I'd like to go over your latest letter.”

“Oh, that?” Twilight knew that Princess Celestia must have had something more urgent in mind, but Twilight was not about to gainsay the guiding light of her life. “Okay. Sure.”

“And let's go out for a walk while we do.”

Now this, Twilight was familiar with. Since her earliest days with The Princess, she had sometimes been taught this way. Inevitably, their walk would 'coincidentally' lead them to examples of whatever lesson Celestia was trying to teach her.

“I'd like that,” Twilight said cheerfully... and she probably would. She had always loved walks like this when she was a filly.

“I've been aware of this problem since before I took the crown.”

Now that didn't make any sense. Celestia had been a princess for over twelve thousand years... but this gender issue hadn't existed a mere thousand years ago. “But wait, I thought it was more recent than that. My brother said–”

Celestia stopped her with a raised hoof. They were passing by the royal kitchens now, almost out of the royal housing section of the castle. “I'll explain that a little later, Twilight.” She turned left down a staircase to the levels below. “But even thought he societal problems only began to surface about eight hundred years ago, mares have actually been dominant in pony society since before ponies even learned to speak.”

Twilight followed Celestia through the door on the next level down on the staircase. “Really?” she asked. “My ancient history books never mentioned anything about that.”

“They wouldn't.” Celestia gave one of her famously hard-to-read little grins. “After all, who writes the history books?”

“Oh... right. But I just can't get over how unfair some of it is.” They were walking through the whitewashed hallways of the guard barracks now. Twilight had been here many times before, visiting her brother... which brought to mind one particular example of that unfairness. “You know that when my brother applied for combat magics school, he got turned down, even though his scores were better than three of the mares who were chosen in the same class?”

“Things like that happen all the time, my little pony.” She led Twilight past the entrance to the guards' mess hall, and onward down the hallway. “And that's why I've kept trying to turn around attitudes about it.” She snickered a little, a sound not often heard from such a regal pony. “Making Blueblood a prince was one of my early attempts at changing those attitudes... though that one rather backfired when it went to his head.”

“Oh... I was wondering why you never did anything about him.”

“Yes.” Celestia grimaced as she walked. “If I demoted him now, certain ponies would see it as proof that stallions aren't fit for high positions.”

“And what are you doing now?” Twilight knew Celestia wouldn't let an issue like this fester without doing something about it.

Celestia stopped walking. The two were now standing in front of the guards' lockers and changing room. “Why don't you step inside and see?”

Here?” Nopony was allowed in there. It was private... And there were two very intimidating royal guards stationed at the entrance.

“Yes, Twilight Sparkle. Here.”

“But... They're changing in there.”

“That's truer than you know, my faithful student.” She gave twilight a nudge toward the door. “But it isn't as if you've never seen ponies without clothes on before.”

Still, Twilight's inhibitions got the better of her. The stern glares of the two guards at the door didn't help either. She stood still, conflicted. She was unable to go through, but also unable to disappoint The Princess. What would she do?

As always, Celestia seemed to be able to read her mind. “Don't worry Twilight: I'm coming, too.” She calmly stepped through the doors, unquestioned by the guards – of course.

Still slightly uneasy, but now with a clear pat to take, Twilight followed The Princess inside. It looked and smelled like anypony would expect a locker room to: rows of lockers and benches smelling of sweat and dirty horseshoes. A few royal guards walked here and there, most of them headed past Twilight and Celestia toward the door. Thankfully for Twilight's sensibilities, all of them were fully clothed.

“Let's head to the showers,” Celestia said, already walking off.

“Sh-Sh-Showers?” None of her previous educational walks with The Princess had been anywhere near this risqué... What was going on?

Come along, Twilight.” Hurrying, Twilight caught up to The Princess. This was awkward enough without being in here alone. As Twilight came up alongside, Celestia stopped again. “Aha! That's what I've brought you here to see. Watch closely.”

Twilight looked to where The Princess was pointing and saw just what she had been hoping to avoid. Half a dozen royal guards were getting ready to hit the showers, some already unbuckling their armor. Still, Princess Celestia wouldn't have brought here here if there wasn't something important to see. She watched on, steadfastly trying to quash the part of her that wanted to enjoy watching these stallions undress.

The guards didn't seem to take any notice of the two mares watching them, and they began to strip off their armor. Something odd was happening though. As the first one took off his armor, his white coat became reddish... and his straight blue hair became curly and yellow. Another stripped down and turned green... and became a mare! Twilight's jaw dropped. One by one, the guards all stepped out of their armor and into the showers... and one by one, each changed into an ordinary pony along the way. Four became mares, but all of them changed coat color, mane color, and even eye color... a couple even significantly changed in size!

She couldn't believe it. “Are... Are all of the royal guards like this?”

“Most of them are,” Celestia said. “Occasionally, we get one in who already looks enough like a guard that he doesn't need it.”

“Like Shining Armor.”

“Yes, like your brother.”

All of Twilight's years in magic training weren't wasted on her. “You enchanted their armor with an illusion spell!” What a massive undertaking... “But, why?”

“The royal guards are respected throughout Equestria. Having stallions in that role helps build respect for stallions everywhere.”

“But isn't it... well, weird for the mares to change that way?” In truth, Twilight still found herself a little unnerved by it. “I mean... what about their... you know?”

Celestia smiled knowingly. “Have you ever noticed anything unusual about the royal guards in that respect, Twilight?”

“Who, me?” In truth, Twilight had... but that wasn't the kind of thing one could just ask about as if it were a casual observation. “Well, I, uh...”

“A curious young filly growing up in Canterlot Castle with all those handsome, immobile guards? Of course you peeked, sooner or later.” Celestia's grin grew wider. “I was a young mare once, too, after all. I know.”

“Well...” No use denying it, Twilight supposed. “They're actually genderless.”

“Exactly. The enchantment on that armor is much more than a simple illusion spell. It changes all sorts of things about them.”

“Wow... I can't believe I never knew, even with my brother in the guard.”

“We make sure they're very tight-lipped about it, naturally,” Celestia said. “If ponies knew about it, all that effort into stopping the discrimination would be wasted... And to that end, I'd suggest you be careful whom you mention it to as well, my faithful student.”

“You can count on me, Princess!”

“I know I can, Twilight Sparkle... I know I can...” Celestia paused. She seemed to be thinking about something difficult. Twilight didn't interrupt. Eventually, she continued, “But gender equality wasn't the only reason I wanted to show this to you, Twilight.” She sighed heavily. “Let's return to my quarters.”

Twilight had never seen the usually regal and self-assured alicorn act so hesitant... it was disturbing. Would this be the reason Celestia needed to see her? She followed her teacher back silently, curiosity, nervous anticipation, and dread all roiling inside her.

With her magic, Princess Celestia closed the door to her chambers behind Twilight. The unmistakable sound of a latching lock followed. “What I'm about to tell you, Twilight, nopony else can ever know, no matter what you decide to do. Are we clear?”

“Of course, Princess.” Nervousness squeezed at her chest. What could this possibly be?”

Celestia sighed, and she seemed to shrink down a little. “I suppose I can't fut off telling you any longer, Twilight...” She paused, still seeming reluctant to continue. She looked at Twilight in the eye, made a slight nod, and her expression rose from reluctance to determination. “I'm dying, Twilight Sparkle.”

What!?” Twilight's world was imploding. She dropped to the floor. “You can't die! You're immortal!”

“Nopony can cheat death, Twilight, not even a princess.”

Of course you can! You're twelve thousand years old.” This had to be some kind of joke... some kind of misunderstanding. The world just didn't work like that, and Twilight couldn't accept it.

“'Princess Celestia' may be, yes... but little old me? I'm two-hundred and forty-seven... and feeling every year of it.” Celestia's head drooped down. “And I'm tired, Twilight Sparkle.”

“But–”

“Let me show you, Twilight.” Gathering her strength, Celestia again stood like the proud ruler she had always been. “Each part of the regalia I wear represents one of the three pony races that make up an alicorn.” She reached up to her crown. “The crown represents the unicorn race. It lends me my cutie mark, my ability to raise the sun, and the color of my coat.”

As she removed the crown and set it down in front of her, Celestia changed. Her mane, though still multi-hued, subtly changed, and lost its ethereal glow. Her white coat faded to a toy-store pink, and her cutie mark vanished, leaving a red rosebud where the sun-in-glory should be.

Twilight watched in silence, her eyes wide and her mouth hanging open, unable to respond to what she was seeing. It couldn't be!

Slowly, Celestia removed the huge golden chest piece from around her neck. “The chest collar represents the pegasus race. It allows me to have both wings and horn, as well as an earth pony's stamina... and it also control the color of my mane.” As she set it down on the floor next to the crown, the horn vanished from her head, and her mane changed completely: shortening and turning bright yellow. Now, the pony standing in front of Twilight was merely an unusually tall pegasus mare. “The shoes represent the earth pony race. They give me Celestia's stature and agelessness.” These, too, Celestia laid out in front of her. As she put down the last one, she rapidly shrank down and aged.

“There. Now you can see me as I truly am, Twilight.” Standing in front of her was a pegasus mare smaller than Twilight herself, and older-looking than Granny Smith. “Before I became Celestia, ponies knew me as Rose Petal.”

Twilight finally found her voice. “Before you became Celestia?”

“The pony that the history books know as 'Celestia' is actually a long succession of different ponies wearing this regalia, Twilight, each one carefully chosen by the one before.”

“But, Princess, what–”

“Please, call me Rose.” Even Celestia's voice had changed.

“Ah, okay... Rose...” Twilight was quickly becoming overwhelmed. “But what about Princess Luna?”

“It is the same way with her, though due to her time on the moon, she has been portrayed by one single pony for much longer than usual.”

This clashed with everything Twilight knew to be true. “But she's your sister. The two of you can't be–”

Celestia cut her off again. “Sisters as in members of a sisterhood, Twilight.” She giggled a little. “The pony you know as Luna is actually a completely different pony. His name is Silver Wind.”

His!?” Twilight slumped to the ground. This conversation was making her dizzy. “Luna is a stallion?”

“I know this is a bit much to take all at once.”

“A bit?”

“But yes, he is. Even I have only seen his true self a few times when he–”

“Wait,” Twilight interrupted her teacher – something she would normally never do. “I recognize you! Rose Petal. You're one of Celestia's servants! I've seen you here before. This must all be some kind of elaborate joke!”

“I have played the role of servant at times, yes... when I tire of being the eternal sun goddess... but this is no joke, Twilight Sparkle.”

It was too much. Twilight couldn't accept it. This couldn't be true! “No, it can't... must be some logical... too implausible... it doesn't make...” Still babbling, she huddled herself together in a tight little ball of fear and denial.

...But then, she felt a familiar wing across her back. She looked up and saw Rose – no, Celestia – looking at her the way she had so many times looked at a hurt or upset purple filly. Then, Twilight knew. All her denials and arguments were gently washed away. She uncurled from her wadded ball of misery and embraced the pink pegasus next to her. “Princess... I–”

“Not 'princess' anymore, my faithful student.” She released Twilight from the hug. “Just 'Rose Petal'.”

Twilight looked back up at the pony in front of her. “Not princess? Then who will...” Her eyes widened in sudden realization. No-no-no-no...

“Why do you think I showed you all of this, Twilight?”

No-no-no-no-no – YES! – No-no-no... “But, I–”

“I have been preparing you for this for a long time, Twilight.”

Most of Twilight wanted to run away, to hide. One little traitorous part reminded her of her wildest fantasies... the ones where she herself became an alicorn, became a princess... became Celestia's faithful partner rather than Celestia's faithful student. But this... this wasn't what she dreamed of. She wanted to be with her mentor, not be her mentor... And what about... !

“What about my friends?! What about my own life?”

Celestia – or was it rose? – winced. “I am so sorry, Twilight Sparkle... so very sorry.” She looked into Twilight's eyes, and Twilight was shocked to see tears welling up. “I am asking you to make such a sacrifice. It's unfair, and you don't deserve this treatment.” Her frown deepened, and the concern in her eyes grew. “But I have little Choice. Without a consistent ruler, Equestria could once more be ravaged by war and the struggle for power. I must choose a successor.”

Twilight already felt the stinging pangs of loss.

“Your friends can still visit you, of course, and you can still escape, occasionally, taking it off and living as Twilight Sparkle again... for a short while.” She laid a pink hoof on Twilight's shoulder. “But 'Twilight Sparkle' will move back to Canterlot, and she will become Celestia's brilliant – but reclusive and rarely seen – student.” She drew Twilight in for another hug. “I waited as long as I could. I wanted you to have as much of your own life as you could... but now, I fear, it is time.”

“You mean you're...” Twilight pulled away and stood staring in shock. “No! You can't! Not yet!”

Rose Petal giggled again. “No, not quite yet, my faithful student. I still have a little life left in me.” Her grin faded, and her tone became dreadfully serious. “I want you to know, Twilight, this is your choice. I could still find somepony else in time – probably.” Her stare softened. “But you are the best choice. The best pony anywhere to be the new Celestia.”

“But I'm just a regular old–”

“And I'm just a regular old pegasus. I know you can do this, Twilight Sparkle. All I'm asking is, are you willing?”

Again, Twilight fell back onto her haunches. Was she willing? “It's just so unfair...”

Compassion filled Rose's face. “Life often is, my little pony, life often is... no matter what we do.” She glanced away for a moment before looking back. “You don't have to decide right away, necessarily... I could give you some time... though it is... urgent... I don't want you to feel–”

“I'll do it.” The words seemed to come out of her mouth all on their own... but as she thought, she realized she would. She would do nearly anything for Equestria; she would do even more for her beloved teacher.

“Thank you, Twilight Sparkle. For everything.” Tears were welling up in the old pony's eyes again.

“So... ah... where do I begin?” Twilight asked.

That seemed to bring Rose back from her morose turn. “Well, let's get started right away, shall we?” She pointed to the golden horseshoes now sitting empty on the floor. “Put the shoes on first.”

“I'm not sure if they'll–”

“They will fit. Just put them on.”

One by one, Twilight slipped into the enchanted shoes. As she placed her hoof into the last one, a feeling like she had never felt before rushed into her. She was growing, and fast! Before she knew it, she was looking down at a much shorter pegasus mare. The spacious private quarters didn't seem quite so large anymore. Her head spun a little from the vertigo.

“You get used to that, after a while,” Rose said, a hint of mischievous glee in her voice. “Now, the chest piece.”

Clumsily, Twilight reached for the ornate chest piece, only to fail rather embarrassingly. This new, larger body would take some getting used to. Instead, she lifted it up with her magic, and slid it down onto her – much longer than usual – neck. As it settled into place, a pomf sound came from behind her; she even felt pressed downward a little as the wings shot out of her back. She fluttered them a little, experimentally, and glanced up at her horn. She could see it easily now; it had grown substantially.

“You'll learn to use those wings in due time. Just be grateful you already know how to use magic... which, by the way, you'll probably find quite a bit easier now.” Rose Petal stood there staring at Twilight for a moment.

Twilight couldn't understand that at first, but then she realized what the pegasus must be seeing: a full-statured alicorn version of her faithful student... Twilight wondered how long her mentor had been imagining such a sight. “And then, the crown?”

“Yes,” Rose said, seeming to shake herself out of her reverie, “As soon as you're ready.”

With a sigh of trepidation, Twilight lifted the crown with her magic. More than anything else, this was it: it would seal her in as the new Celestia – new ruler of Equestria! – and it would complete her transformation. She was finding it hard to breathe... but she couldn't turn back now. Wincing her eyes shut, she thrust the crown down onto her head. Oddly, though, this time, she didn't feel any change. Slowly, she opened her eyes and looked at herself. Her legs were white! Her body was white! Her mane and tail had changed colors, and they now waved in a familiar invisible ethereal breeze. She bent around to see her cutie mark: the sun-in-glory... She was Celestia now... even if she didn't feel like she was.

Twilight found herself more than a little breathless. “Okay... okay... I'm okay... ... So, um... What do I do now?”

The pink pegasus in front of her smiled warmly. “Stay true to yourself, Twilight Sparkle. I chose you for a reason... and...” She hesitated for a moment. “And don't lose contact with your friends.” She looked away, and added quietly, “Like I did.”

“There's so much I don't know.” How was Twilight supposed to know how to rule a kingdom, anyway? “What if I mess something up? How will I–”

“You won't be alone, Twilight.” She chuckled. “I think 'Rose Petal' can still be Celestia's servant for a while longer... so I'll be around to give advice... And you can trust the royal advisors. They were also carefully chosen.”

Even if she would have help, it was still very overwhelming. Ever so quietly, Twilight was singing under her breath, “I wasn't prepared for this...

Celestia smiled as she saw her five friends and a certain baby dragon rush into the royal audience chamber. “I'm so glad you could answer my summons on such short notice, girls.” She turned her head to the side, toward her guard commander. “Excuse us please. This will need to be a private audience.”

Wordlessly, her guards and servants left the chamber, all save for one: a pink pegasus at her side.

“What's the matter, Princess?” Applejack asked.

“Is it about Twilight?” Spike added, “Where is she?”

“Is she okay?” Fluttershy whispered. “I really hope nothing happened to her.”

Celestia hushed them all with a raised hoof. “First, I must swear you all to absolute secrecy.” She nodded toward her pink friend. “That means Pinkie Promise.”

Pinkie Pie gasped and almost exploded on the spot. “The Princess knows about Pinkie promises!? This is the greatest day every! I'm famous! Now everypony will be making Pinkie promises, and we can all be promise buddies and–” she gasped again. “And have a big Pinkie promise party!”

Princess Celestia cleared her throat meaningfully.

Applejack, seeming to take the hint, shoved a hoof into Pinkie's mouth, shutting off the overflow of exuberance.

As soon as she calmed down a little, the hoof was removed from her mouth, and Pinkie Pie jumped in front of the others to lead them in her solemn oath, “Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye... Pinkie promise!”

Celestia smiled and sighed. Somehow, that already seemed nostalgic. She glanced over at the pegasus beside her in a display of indecisiveness very uncharacteristic of Equestria's ruler. Receiving a slight not from Rose Petal, she turned back to her friends. Slowly, carefully – she was still unused to her larger body – she brought her hooves up to her head and removed the crown.

As she set it down on the dais in front of her, she changed. Her mane and coat returned to their purple and lavender hues, and her cutie mark returned to being an amethyst star.

Six startled gasps of amazement greeted her in return.

Twilight!” Rarity was the first to find her voice. “You're... You're a... The Princess!?”

“Oh. My. Gosh!” Rainbow hovered up on her wings, her mouth wide open in shock. “How long have you secretly been The Princess?”

“Not long,” Twilight assured them. “Not long at all.” Slowly, she filled them in on everything that had happened, scarcely believing it herself.

“So, you're going to be livin' here in Canterlot from now on, huh, Sugarcube?”

“Well, mostly.” Twilight sighed. This would be the hardest part. “I could still come visit occasionally, of course, and–”

“Hm, well, I've been thinkin' of openin' up a franchise farm up here around Canterlot anyway.” Applejack was such a bad liar.

“Ooh! Ooh! And I could open up my very own sweet shop!”

Rainbow looked over incredulously. “How are you going to afford that, Pinkie?”

“I know people,” she answered cryptically.

“Okay, whatever...” Rainbow Dash shook her head. “Anyway, I'll have to move out of Ponyville anyway to join the Wonderbolts, so I'll just sign up to be stationed with the Canterlot squadron.”

“Oh, and I... I um... well, I heard there was an opening at the Canterlot Intensive Care Animal Hospital...”

“And you know I've always dreamed of living in Canterlot, Twilight!” Rarity was positively preening. “So of course I'll come.”

“And... well, um... Can I still be your number one assistant?”

She had to fight back tears by the time they were all finished. “You... you don't have to,” Twilight stuttered, “It's not fair that all of you have to give up your lives, too.”

“Your life happens wherever you are,” Rainbow replied, “I'm not giving up anything.”

“And life's not always fair, Sugarcube... but you just gotta make what you can out of it.”

Go to them.

Twilight had forgotten about Rose Petal sitting next to her... but she took the old mare's advice and rushed down to her friends, sweeping them all up into an enormous hug. “You all are the best friends a pony could ever ask for!”

As the hug ended, Spike handed her the crown... her crown... She picked it up, and as she put in on and changed back into the Celestia everypony knew, she thought that, strangely, it didn't seem like such a burden anymore.

Epilogue

Dear Princess Celestia,

Responsibility can be a wonderful thing, but sometimes you get offered a little too much responsibility. More than you can handle. I decided to resign as director of the animal hospital today. The stress of making all the decisions and the burden of all those ponies asking me what to do was too much. It was keeping me from working with the cute little animals I love.

So, from now on, I'm going to remember my limits, and just focus on what I do best. –And after getting a little dose of what you must feel all the time, I am so sorry. Please, come talk to me about it any time.

With Love, Fluttershy

Dear Princess Celestia,

Thank you kindly for letting us use the castle ballroom for that last Apple Family reunion. That must have been the fanciest reunion yet, and the folks were all mighty impressed. And it was probably the first time the ballroom's ever seen bobbing for apples!

Applebloom sends her regards – she's been doing a find job of running Sweet Apple Acres ever since Granny Smith passed away. Big Macintosh says she's got the place looking better than it ever has before.

Oh, and sorry about the mess in the ballroom. Things got a little out of control there for a spell.

Your loyal subject (and friend), Applejack

P.S. - Cider season starts on Tuesday! Better come early if you want some, princess or not: I've been selling out real quick ever since we moved up to Canterlot.

Dear Princess Celestia,

Omigosh, Tw – oh, oops... uh... Princess! I just invented the greatest treat EVER! First, I took some jelly beans, and then I deep fried them! And then I dipped them in chocolate! And then I deep fried them again! And then I wrapped them in cotton candy goodness! And then I dipped them in caramel – the topping, not the pony – and THEN I covered them in powdered sugar!

I gave one to Spike, and even though he's a really big dragon now, he went into diabetic shock right away. It was awesome! ... But then he had to go to the hospital, which was less awesome... but then we went to visit him, which was awesome again! I threw him a big get well party, and I had more super jelly beans there, but he didn't eat any for some reason.

Pinkie Pie

P.S. - Do you want some of those beans?

P.P.S. - I think I'll call them SuperUltraExtremeAwesomeAzing Beans!

P.P.P.S. - Or maybe, “Magical dragon slaying beans!”

P.P.P.P.S. - Do you know where I could get a jar of industrial strength mayonnaise, a poodle, and a radio transmitter without a lot of awkward questions getting asked?

P.P.P.P.P.S. - Ooh, or maybe “Space Beans.” It's good 'cause it's from Space!

P.P.P.P.P.P.S. - And Applejack says I should apologize for giving Spike dragon diabetes... which is funny because I only gave him beans. He made the diabetes on his own. He's a talented dragon.

Dear Princess Celestia,

You'll never guess who just made it into the Wonderbolts!

It was Scootaloo! And since I'm captain of the Canterlot squadron, I got to swear her in. It was SO AWESOME!

...And I want to thank you for never interfering in my career. It wouldn't be as special if I hadn't earned it myself.

Your loyal friend, Rainbow Dash

P.S. - Ponyville's getting pretty big these days... Maybe you could assign it a Wonderbolts squadron? Then the Cutie Mark Crusaders wouldn't have to be broken up when Scootaloo ships out.

Dear Princess Celestia,

This is Spike, writing to you from my 'recovery room': the courtyard of Canterlot General Hospital.

Thank you so much for visiting me. Really brings back old times, just you and me. Butterscotch is still here with me. She's gotten really attached to me ever since you made her your protégé. She hasn't left my side the whole time I've been in the hospital. And sick or not, I'm still her number one assistant, so I've been making sure she keeps up with her studies... I think you made a fine choice when you picked her.

Still your number one assistant, Spike

P.S. - If Pinkie offers you any kind of beans, DO NOT eat them!

Dearest Princess Celestia,

I simply cannot thank you enough for wearing one of my gowns to the Grand Galloping Gala!

Ever since you did, I just can't keep anything in stock. Why, I've had to hire three new seamstresses just to keep up.

But, you know what's even better than that? It was the acknowledgment of our friendship, secret though it may be, that truly made my heart leap for joy. We all still love you, darling, and if you ever need anything – anything – you just let me know.

Your friend, Rarity

Dear Twilight Sparkle,

I've missed you, little sis! I know you've been very busy with your studies ever since you moved back to Canterlot... We hardly ever see you! Still, I understand. Duty comes first, and you must be working on some really important projects.

Still, I wanted to ask... My fiftieth anniversary is coming up in a couple weeks, and I was wondering if you could make it? It would mean a lot to me to have my little sis there. And Celestia herself will be there, so surely she could let you come with her, right?

Anyway, love you, sis, and thanks for seeing me when you can!

Your BBBFF, Prince Shining Armor

The End

There are a few typos I think, but they're extremely sparse and it's obvious what you actually mean each time.

Haha, you caught Twi's "checklist" and "everything by-the-book" obsession well here.

"Me, gender discrimination? NEVER! My male slave, I now command you to write a letter to help me know more about sexism."

Then, suddenly... PERVERTED TWILIGHT.

I like that the armors are infused with illusion spells. I've seen a lot of stories where magic supposedly changes the wearer physically, and I prefer deception to actual transformation by far (as you can tell from my characters in WERE).

It's also a nice and original idea to have Celestia (and Luna) just a series of normal ponies wearing magical items. More creative than one single immortal alicorn, like it's stated in canon (and fanon).

Poor Twily though, it really is so much to take in in just one sitting.

I died at "the topping, not the pony" and "He made the diabetes on his own. He's a talented dragon." Typical Pinkie, haha

But it's really sad that Shining doesn't know (yet?). He'll be upset to only see the Princess, unless Twi lets him in on the secret or just discreetly changes to see him for a few moments.

Edited by Feather Spiral

There are a few typos I think, but they're extremely sparse and it's obvious what you actually mean each time.

Still not acceptable though. I'll have to go through it some more.

(Or get a proper proofreader.)

Haha, you caught Twi's "checklist" and "everything by-the-book" obsession well here.

^.^ I do enjoy writing Twilight.

"Me, gender discrimination? NEVER! My male slave, I now command you to write a letter to help me know more about sexism."

But at least she realized it as she did it...

Then, suddenly... PERVERTED TWILIGHT.

And that's about as close as I'll go to writing clop. ^.^

I like that the armors are infused with illusion spells. I've seen a lot of stories where magic supposedly changes the wearer physically, and I prefer deception to actual transformation by far (as you can tell from my characters in WERE).

I'm pretty sure I picked up that idea from a different fic (I forget which one) where the royal guards worked exactly the same way.

...But extending it to the royalty... totally my idea. ^.^

It's also a nice and original idea to have Celestia (and Luna) just a series of normal ponies wearing magical items. More creative than one single immortal alicorn, like it's stated in canon (and fanon).

^.^

Despite the magical nature of it all, I think it actually makes the MLP universe a little more realistic to be that way.

Poor Twily though, it really is so much to take in in just one sitting.

close_call.jpg

Tell me about it!

I died at "the topping, not the pony" and "He made the diabetes on his own. He's a talented dragon." Typical Pinkie, haha

I tried to keep the body of the fic serious... but I let the comedy roll in the epilogue.

^.^ Glad you liked it.

But it's really sad that Shining doesn't know (yet?). He'll be upset to only see the Princess, unless Twi lets him in on the secret or just discreetly changes to see him for a few moments.

Yep, used the lighthearted, optimistic comedy in the other letters to provide a contrasting setting for the depressing last letter. Just when everything seems better, I go ahead and hit the reader right in the feels. ^.^ An evil trick... maybe. But hopefully it will really impact some people.

This fic is now feature boxed on FimFic! ^.^

I feel so validated as an author.

My thanks to everybody who helped!

I might not have been able to do it without you.

• Brohoof 1

Celestia sighed, and she seemed to shrink down a little. “I suppose I can't fut off telling you any longer, Twilight...” She paused, still seeming reluctant to continue. She looked at Twilight in the eye, made a slight nod, and her expression rose from reluctance to determination. “I'm dying, Twilight Sparkle.”

I think you mean "put" rather than "fut" (that's all I really caught but then I'm not always that great at catching things like that).

I wouldn't have guessed that Princess Celestia was a title carried out by multiple ponies rather than an actual name. Although it does explain why the Celestia we see is so gentle and fun loving while the Celestia in the history books was more stern with her punishments. I just figured that over the past thousand years she had a lot to think about and realized her mistakes. However, from the show I did imagine that Celestia is dying, or at least running out of magic in some way (after all a thousand years of raising the sun and moon has got to take it out of a pony). Still, I do think you're idea is pretty neat.

Edited by RoseLaflesh