Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Youtube Episode Takedowns

Mister Jack

This was posted on Equestria Daily a year ago, but is still just as relevant now:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/01/clarification-on-youtube-stream.html

Be smart, be understanding, and rather than just exploding about this, contact Hasbro and let them know your concerns.  Be patient with them.  Hasbro's been pretty receptive towards fans otherwise (new White Celestia toy, Derpy and Zecora figures, etc) so I think they deserve at least that much.

• Brohoof 2

If I was in charge of Hasbro I would probably consider posting them on youtube myself as an official release. Some companies are already doing this and are still able to make money with adds on the videos though I think they go a bit overboard with some of them. And there are other sites they could put it on as well like Hulu for example which is becoming increasingly popular.

Maybe I'm missing a piece of information.

Did Hasbro ever say it was okay for users to upload episodes to YouTube and other sites? Did they ever give explicit permission that it's okay to make the hard work of the cast and crew available for free and without proper remuneration?

Even on a more basic level than that, isn't it against YouTube terms of use to upload material that is not yours, not created by you, or use material without permission?

• Brohoof 1

Hasbro, for all intents and purposes, is probably the greatest and most lenient copyright holding company in the world. This round of video censoring is not anything new: it's been going on since day one. They pursue infringing videos every once and a while, but they've never gone on an all out campaign against online copies of their shows .They know the internet is what's getting them viewers, and they're not dumb enough to kill their best advertising.

At this point, it's just a matter of making it "look" like they still enforce copyright laws, just so that they can keep something on their records. In my opinion though, the video leniency pales in comparison to another, much larger thing that they've done.

Think about all of the fan works that they've let slip by. Plushies. Music. Brushable accessories. Art prints. Do we really understand the sheer gravity of what Hasbro is doing for us?

They should be getting royalty fees or a cut of the total sales from every fan-made object that is ever sold, traded, or otherwise offered for purchase, yet they haven't even touched that part of the fandom - and I think that's incredible.

Thank you, to all of you at Hasbro. You guys are amazing.

Edited by CloudFyre
  • Brohoof 6

If I was in charge of Hasbro I would probably consider posting them on youtube myself as an official release. Some companies are already doing this and are still able to make money with adds on the videos though I think they go a bit overboard with some of them. And there are other sites they could put it on as well like Hulu for example which is becoming increasingly popular.

They're doing that, though they're charging for episodes directly:

http://www.youtube.com/user/HasbroEpisodes

Even on a more basic level than that, isn't it against YouTube terms of use to upload material that is not yours, not created by you, or use material without permission?

That's true, but Youtube can't do anything unless the rights holders decide to take action.

This is why I torrent every episode. I've no desire to pay for each episode individually or to buy them through iTunes. On the other hand, I'll gladly buy any DVD/Blu-Ray releases they make because I want to give them their money. To date I've purchased every DVD they've published, including the season 1 set. I'm a pirate but I'm not a thief.

I understand why Hasbro is doing this. They can't credibly say that they had no idea people were uploading entire episodes of their most popular show to Youtube, and they're in danger of forfeiting some copyrights if they do nothing about it. Uploading their own episodes to Youtube wouldn't work either. Cable and Satellite companies who carry the Hub can take some legal action of their own over that.

Cable and Satellite companies who carry the Hub can take some legal action of their own over that.

See, THIS is the part that pisses me off. Having your show for free online with ads would make plenty of money and make your fanbase both happy and large, but all but the largest show producers can't get a good deal with any network if they demand their own ability to release online, and only the largest networks can negotiate online release rights from the distributors (cable and satellite). Now, the distributors have no obligation to not provide content online, but they make so much more money when you have to buy a $50/mo. package even if you're only going to watch one show on one channel.

I wish more companies would just go to the internet directly instead, skipping the need to deal with networks or distributors. VGHS was a short series released exclusively online, and it is both a great series and requires no additional monetary commitment over your internet bill. AND IT MADE MONEY. Real profit from advertising, merchandise, and most of the costs were covered by thousands of fans contributing a little at a time through Kickstarter. It did well enough that they're already working on a second season. It's a perfectly valid business model, but contracts tie the whole thing up to the point where none of the big groups can really take advantage.

• Brohoof 2

For the record, I'm not trying to start an angry letter writing campaign to Hasbro.  We were lucky that the episodes weren't taken down much sooner.  I just want to find a good streaming website besides youtube for new episodes.

What do I care. I have all the episodes on my hard drive.

I'll just use a magical application to download the new episode when i see it on youtube. then I only have to go to the web page once. But i usually just buy the episode on i-tunes and crack the file for my friends.

For what it's worth, WEP, the North American licensee of the GoLion/Voltron franchise, has posted the entire 1980s Voltron series on Youtube and a whole lot of uncut, subtitled Japanese episodes too.  Now I'm seriously considering buying a DVD from them, in part, because they have been so forthcoming with their material. 

I have seen other TV programs purged from Youtube.  They'll return over the course of time.  I'm going to miss the easy availability of MLP episodes, but I can deal with it.  In the future I expect to buy the entire series anyway.  Something that can't be brought back, however, are some excellent discussions between the fans.  Once a video is blocked or removed, the comments are gone forever. 

Well, it's finally happened.  Hasbro has finally decided that they don't want episodes on youtube anymore, and are using a content ID system to automatically block season 2 episodes in the US.  They will probably try to do this with seasons 1 and 3 soon enough.  

So, if anyone has a good alternative site for watching episodes, one that updates promptly when new ones air, it would be appreciated.  And before anyone says anything, I don't get the HUB.  

Just saying, but I just went on youtube to confirm this and randomly chose an episode to check, in this case 'It's About Time', and it worked. Is there something I'm missing?

This affects me sooo much. The copyright system needs to be completely revamped for YouTube, because the administrators are doing it all wrong. They think that we claim to be the owner of the video and because of this misleading phrase, this is what they do. They are led by just a giant...lie. We are only uploading it for entertainment purposes only. If only there were more honest people out there...

Edited by Thunder-Dash

BY UPLOADING SOMETHING TO YOUTUBE, YOU CLAIM TO OWN THE RIGHTS TO DISTRIBUTE THAT VIDEO. It is within the true owner's rights to demand that others cease distribution of their property.

That said, copyright law needs changes, starting with the part where you're legally obligated to stop ALL distribution of your works that didn't have EXPLICIT consent as soon as you are made aware of that specific distribution. Any other action is equivalent to forfeiting your ownership of that idea/product/object. It makes sense with actual one-of-a-kind physical objects, so you can't let someone steal your stuff, let them sell it, and THEN claim it's stolen and demand it back, but for easily reproduced data it should be up to the claim holder to determine what is infringing.

• Brohoof 1

Ughh. Well, now I have to record every episode, or buy the whole season 2. Is it even out yet. Whatever. I knew this would happen one day. Youtube reached an all new low, even though it wasn't really their fault.

People are forgetting:

Maybe I'm missing a piece of information.

Did Hasbro ever say it was okay for users to upload episodes to YouTube and other sites? Did they ever give explicit permission that it's okay to make the hard work of the cast and crew available for free and without proper remuneration?

+

Hasbro, for all intents and purposes, is probably the greatest and most lenient copyright holding company in the world. This round of video censoring is not anything new: it's been going on since day one. They pursue infringing videos every once and a while, but they've never gone on an all out campaign against online copies of their shows .They know the internet is what's getting them viewers, and they're not dumb enough to kill their best advertising.

At this point, it's just a matter of making it "look" like they still enforce copyright laws, just so that they can keep something on their records. In my opinion though, the video leniency pales in comparison to another, much larger thing that they've done.

Think about all of the fan works that they've let slip by. Plushies. Music. Brushable accessories. Art prints. Do we really understand the sheer gravity of what Hasbro is doing for us?

They should be getting royalty fees or a cut of the total sales from every fan-made object that is ever sold, traded, or otherwise offered for purchase, yet they haven't even touched that part of the fandom - and I think that's incredible.

Thank you, to all of you at Hasbro. You guys are amazing.

People need to not vent on Hasbro and Youtube on this as both are rather lenient on copyright law and bronies have had great luck at abusing what other companies would not have tolerated. It's not our episode to share as we want, it's HASBRO's and they haven't gone after anyone but full episode uploads.You are taking money out of their pocket when you post them on youtube as they sell these directly on itunes. You can likely still find these ON youtube still and can download off torrents.  

If you wanna go on a letter writing campain to them to put out full season dvd sets or see if they can have their own ad-sponsored channel on youtube then by all means recommend it. Just realize that they're already bending and compromising.

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 1

By blocking it from Youtube, they are basically supporting piracy. It's kinda ironic, but you know it's true.

Tho I haven't noticed anything, I guess it really us US-only thing. That's too bad, so sad. *sarcastic smirk*

I think that this article is particularly enlightening.

http://www.derpyhoovesnews.com/pony-youtube-issues-hasbro-studios-youtube-contentid/

The reasons do seem to make sense.  I get it if it's actively interfered with their ability to conduct business, and if the source is accurate, well, I can't say I blame them.  And at least they have no intention of going after derivative fan works.

I think that this article is particularly enlightening.

http://www.derpyhoovesnews.com/pony-youtube-issues-hasbro-studios-youtube-contentid/

The reasons do seem to make sense.  I get it if it's actively interfered with their ability to conduct business, and if the source is accurate, well, I can't say I blame them.  And at least they have no intention of going after derivative fan works.

So derivs are okay. That's good news. The pony music metal cover spree shall continue!

I hope someone from Sherclop Pones reads that article and submits a dispute claim. I freakin' love FiW.

Edited by DusK