Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fanfiction made for children (just an idea for a collaboration)

lardbobobo

So while I was taking one of my kind of sketchy sounding midnight strolls I was trying to think of an idea for an adventure story. I think by definition an adventure is a relatively childish thing but most adventure stories I've read rarely capture the feel of an adventure and I honestly think that a truly great adventure story maintains a very childish and fun tone. My brain from there went straight from an overall story to a story that was made for children, and of course in my manchild mind that is stuffed full of sugar pumped cupcakes it immediately thought of pony fanfiction.

Now, I understand that any actual kid with enough skill could just go online and read one of these fanfics but none of these stories are really targeted for the kid. In fact, most and to be honest quite possibly every fanfic out there is directed at just the average Brony who for the most part is usually a 21 year old guy. At first I kind of scuffed this off as not being a big issue, but the more I thought about it the more I realized that this tends to lead to not only stories that might be tricky for a kid to read but darker stories that often include tyranny and destitution, and don't even get me started on the asinine amount of clop fics out there. It reminds me a lot of any library in the sense that you can technically find something totally fine for an 8 year old outside of the kids section but it will be harder to find something there than in the kids section.

So, what I'm suggesting is this: what if we had an even of some sort where we all turned in fanfiction that was directed not at the typical brony, but at a kid of any age under 13. The reason I think this would be a neat and refreshing idea isn't because kids will be reading this (which to be brutally honest I doubt will happen), rather I think it would be both of those things because we will be writing to an entirely different audience; an audience that might not understand the biggest words or the most complex stories. This limitation I hope would not only a different perspective for the writer, but different and maybe, depending on who enters, more positive stories in general. The stories themselves don't have to be entirely dumbed down for a child audience, because how else would us older folks stand reading it, but children should be the main target

Any thoughts at all about this would be cool.

Edited by Lord Bababa

That is actually a really excellent idea. Now that I think about it, pretty much every pony fanfiction ever written has been directed at bronies. What about a child? That would require a whole new thought process, seeing the world from a different angle...

I like it.

Of course, I couldn't do it. My writing is too sarcastic and dry humor-y. 

This sounds like an amazing idea! I'm pretty used to writing for kids, and my ten year old sibling loves MLP as well. And I'd love to read/help write a story that isn't dark and depressing like a lot of the fanfictions out there are. Like something you could find on the show.