Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Resource Hub: The Introduction of the MLPF Resource Map

NavelColt

As the forums get bigger, the ever expanding problem of not having an organized network for our board's resources becomes more of a priority. Two days ago, Evilshy and I began brainstorming an idea for a singular location that linked many of the board's primary resources, as well as plenty of the member-made resources. This ended up being pounded out in twenty-four hours, and after some looking over by our benevolent overlord, it's made its way into its very own announcement.

--> http://mlpforums.com/forum-0/announcement-3-mlp-forums-official-resource-map/

This announcement page will be listed at the top of every single forum on the board, the exact same way Feld0's old 'Amazon' advertisement for the forums' has been. But that's only the beginning. This announcement will be linked to in various avenues, including the Automatic Welcoming PM sent to every new member by Feld0, inside the ToS page, the header (banner area/menu bar), the footer, and several other places.

This might seem a bit excessive; however, this kind of simplistic "guide to all things" will strike directly at the heart of the forum's classic woe - users have so much to do and so many things to review that they may feel a bit "lost" when they first join. In which case, a guide of this sort will be able to offer wonderful measurable benefits.

As the end of the page says, it is a living document much like the Board Rules and FAQ. It will be edited and added to periodically as new content is discovered/created. Everyone is more than welcome to link to topics or posts that contain basic, but very vital information that you think all newbies would want to know, or should know. For whenever this topic ends up becoming locked, users should feel free to contact the staff via Support Tickets for potential suggestions on what things might be addable.

• Brohoof 17

You forgot the part where you mention that XFizzle is best Doctor. You are forgiven. But nice work on the hub. Put it in a prominent place and boom, informed users.

Edited by Doctor XFizzle
  • Brohoof 2

I looked over this little project of yours and the Overlord has approved. This will definitely help with all the new users and maybe for some older users who haven't picked something up in their time here.

post-5335-0-47114500-1358664934_thumb.jpg

Keep up the good work.

• Brohoof 3

I read through the MLP Forums Official Resource Map, and I like it. If I may offer a suggestion, I think you should link to this topic in that post as well. As a new member, it was fairly easy for me to find most of the information that I needed, but I could not find an explanation for what the different forum topic activity icons like "hot" and "cool" meant since the thread explaining it was not pinned. 

Edited by SCS
  • Brohoof 1

I read through the MLP Forums Official Resource Map, and I like it. If I may offer a suggestion, I think you should link to this topic in that post as well. As a new member, it was fairly easy for me to find most of the information that I needed, but I could not find an explanation for what the different forum topic activity icons like "hot" and "cool" meant since the thread explaining it was not pinned. 

That is an excellent suggestion. Since the topic is singular, fairly simple to understand and not a fundamental requirement, I'll add it to the bottom of the page, in the 'Other Noteworthy Topics & Resources' section.

• Brohoof 2

Good ol ChaoticDiscord making the fourms a better place! :).

I think its a great addition, I have to say that I was a bit confused myself upon joining at first, but this looks like something that will greatly benefit the new members! And it can of course only get better as more information is added.

Unfortunately, I don't really have any suggestions for stuff that needs to be added, regardless I'm sure there will be. And I'm sure it will be very beneficial to new members!

• Brohoof 1

Great idea! Keeping everyone informed is a difficult task and this should make it a bit easier, only something that I saw that I found not correct:

Curious about the colorful 'Red Hot', 'Hot', 'Warm', 'Cool' and 'Frozen' buttons

Those aren't buttons but Badges! A button in an UI is interactive ^^ but either way, 

Well Played.

Say, do you think adding links to the helpful threads that are important to Roleplay World would be something to add on to it? Because I've seen a few people who aren't familiar with the way RPs are done here, and as such, make a few mistakes when they wish to join, such as posting in the RP before going through the OOC.

Say, do you think adding links to the helpful threads that are important to Roleplay World would be something to add on to it? Because I've seen a few people who aren't familiar with the way RPs are done here, and as such, make a few mistakes when they wish to join, such as posting in the RP before going through the OOC.

The FAQ has it's own roleplay section, so I don't think it's really needed to crowd space by re-posting the major roleplay stuff.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...