gaming The Scariest Game You've Ever Played

Moog the Kvlt

Well for all of us horror game fans

What game has scared youthe most

I'd put these ones in my list:

LSD: Dream Emulator - I'm too scared to even go near this one

4th Wall - The ending of this game gave me such a scare

Exmortis - This game as well had the jumpscares

Eastern Mind - It's quite similar to LSD so I'm not going anywhere near it and it's a hard to find game so to get a copy of it, would cost 100$ so that's a no

and

The Least scariest ones:

Slender - It was just plain boring

SCP: Containment Breach - I've been reading the SCP documents since before this game was developed so I'm too used to it, and it was quite repetitive

SCP-087B - Even more repetitive than Containment Breach and it did get kind of boring, I'll give it a thumbs up for good background music, but nothing more than that

Amnesia: The Dark Descent - Very repetitive and the Amnesia monster doesn't even look that scary at all

Edited by Flipturn

Dead Space 1

This game was very terror inducing if you actually to took the time to notice all the little things the designers did. Its more than juat pop out scares. Number 2, while still having some terror, falls short of many of the great details that made Dead Space 1 so scary.

Never really was a fan of horror games, or that genre in any media really. However I have played a Amnesia, The Dark Descent, mostly due to the absolutely mind blowing atmosphere. aside form that...I've played LFD2 (not really scary, nor an enjoyable game) and RE4 and 5.

Once Im past those games, Luigis Mansion is like the scariest :P

Oh my the list could go on forever...

I'll list off simply a few that made me proverbially shit my pants. ;)

Amnesia: The Dark Decent made me jump and scream more than any horror movie could. I think the only thing that scared me worse than that game was when TLC introduced Honey Boo Boo. ;)

Dead Space 2 kept me up all night. As much as hated that game, I loved it too much to ever put down my controller. ;)

• Brohoof 2

Dead Space 1 This game was very terror inducing if you actually to took the time to notice all the little things the designers did. Its more than juat pop out scares. Number 2, while still having some terror, falls short of many of the great details that made Dead Space 1 so scary.

yes dead space 1 is mine too. just one question who was creepier the monsters or the survivors?..... ill say the survivors every time  

Oh my the list could go on forever...

I'll list off simply a few that made me proverbially shit my pants. ;)

Amnesia: The Dark Decent made me jump and scream more than any horror movie could. I think the only thing that scared me worse than that game was when TLC introduced Honey Boo Boo. ;)

Dead Space 2 kept me up all night. As much as hated that game, I loved it too much to ever put down my controller. ;)

I have gone through Dead Space 2 atleast 12 times. Its more playable than the first because its less terrifying. Except when you return to the ishimura. That tactic was genius. But anyway, even after 12 runs, even when i know its coming, i always get spooked.

I have a feeling im going to be laughed out of the fandom for this but what the hell. 

My top 3 scary games...no scratch that. The top 3 games that I have had most scary encounters in (seriously) 

1) Minecraft. Seriously. Have you ever played that game? By yourself, in what you think is an adequately lit cave, mining away happily when all of a sudden you hear the ominous sound of an Enderman teleporting past you. Makes you jump, and puts you a little on edge. Then you go back to mining after frantically looking around for a few moments, and you hear that telltale "ssssssss..." we all know how THAT ends up.

2) F.E.A.R - The graphics are just plain awful, so that was scary enough, and the beginning of the game was enough to put me off playing for a long time, but when I eventually got around to playing it properly for a while I got through most of it no problem after the initial repetition. 

3) Can't even think of another game that actually gave me any scary moments to be honest...but I guess I would say Halo CE mission 6 for the first time. As a 7 year old boy, trudging through that murky swamp, seeing silhouettes roaming in the shadows, killing off the enemy for you, the tense build up of the atmosphere as you enter the seemingly abandoned Forerunner "weapons caché". Still gives me chills thinking about it back then. 

Not really scary encounters, but given the right situation they can be, and they're probably the most scary encounters I can think of (I dont play horror games really), besides recently being brutally murdered by the Grue in Don't Starve that is. And of course, this.

Edited by Creeping Dusk

I'm not the biggest Earthbound/Mother fan on the planet (in fact Earthbound is a pretty mediocre game) but the whole Giygas fight at the end of the game is probably one of the few things to leave me with any fear after the game is turned off.

When I was younger I wasn't really scared at all and I thought it was just weird, but once I gave it another shot a few days ago I think that Giygas is just an absolutely horrifying creature, and I think a lot of it is because I still don't know what the hell Giygas truly is and what really gets at me even more is if I take a look at what it said to me I'm not sure if this thing was trying to make friends with me, was hurt itself, or was trying to kill me. Another thing that I think really factors into it is that Earthbound is typically a silly game, you're running around as cartoony robots fighting giant lips while eating pizza and then you suddenly get to Giygas who is far from a crazy hippie trying to kill you and was supposedly actually based on something kind of serious.

Horror games are great, with 4th wall and SCP-087B being some of my favorites (I've never actually read any of the SCP documents though, so derp) but they never leave me with a lasting impression of fear, and while the entire conflict of Giygas was essentially rid of at the end of the game it's image still creeps me the hell out.

Edited by Lord Bababa
  • Brohoof 1

1) Minecraft. Seriously. Have you ever played that game? By yourself, in what you think is an adequately lit cave, mining away happily when all of a sudden you hear the ominous sound of an Enderman teleporting past you. Makes you jump, and puts you a little on edge. Then you go back to mining after frantically looking around for a few moments, and you hear that telltale "ssssssss..." we all know how THAT ends up.

I thought I was the only one XD

But yeah, I don't play many scary games. I've played Slender, and it was hardly scary. Minecraft, however, is another story. Have you ever been alone in your house, in complete darkness while playing Minecraft? You accidentally look straight at an Enderman and it makes that noise... It'll scar you for life. Nah, just kidding. :P It did freak me out a bit, though. :lol:

I thought I was the only one XD

But yeah, I don't play many scary games. I've played Slender, and it was hardly scary. Minecraft, however, is another story. Have you ever been alone in your house, in complete darkness while playing Minecraft? You accidentally look straight at an Enderman and it makes that noise... It'll scar you for life. Nah, just kidding. :P It did freak me out a bit, though. :lol:

Alone, while everyone is asleep, its dark in your house because you dont want to be wasting power with the lights and you have your headset in. Enderman begins to scream at you, then teleports out of your sight in the middle of the night. You're just left there in a puddle of your own pee, fearing for your diamonds and your life IRL. 

• Brohoof 1

I haven't player very many scary games, so I'm going with Slender. Sure, it gets boring after awhile, but the first time you play it, especially in the dark, it's scary as hell in my opinion.

Scary games nowadays always have me singing "Giggle at the Ghostie" in my head when faced with evil. That applies for most of them anyway. Slender, Dead Space 2, SCP-087-B, Hotel 626. The one game that stood out for me, though, was Amnesia.

Amnesia is a work of art. It's not a game of jump scares, it's a game of atmosphere. You won't be scared by of the look of the monsters, but by the aura of the setting - it's so wonderfully yet terrifyingly tense, because of all the implication that you're being hunted. There are enough creaks, gusts of wind and cave-ins to make it seem as if an evil force is present, but about 8% of the game is spent in the face of a monster (considerably more at the end, however). What this results in is paranoia. You'll be checking every room really carefully, designating safe rooms, slowly leaning round every corner and looking all around you, fearing yourself to be in peril when you are, in fact, relatively safe.

I remember writing about the presence of phantom Alexander in another thread. That was truly horrifying. My props to the team for making such a brilliantly unsettling game :3

I don't really play scary games, so these are a little bit silly:

Crysis 2: I had no idea what it was about, and when I was asked to go into the sewers with "Multiple Heat Signitures" all I could think about was "ZOMBIES!!!" A bit silly, really.

Fallout: New Vegas: "Go over there!" I was told. "There's a metal dog!" They said. Unfortuneatly, they didn't mention the CENTAURS!! I was pretty much ambushed. And the best part? "Oh wait, the metal dog is in Vegas, not over there DERP!"

Minecraft: First time playing I was scared SO MUCH! The ominous cave noises, my first encounter with night and a creeper. I'm fine now, but the depressing music keeps me on the edge.

Silent Hill 3. That game gave me so many spooks, especially when I saw some...mutilated bloodied corpse crucified on the wall. What made this even freakier to me, was that there was a painting of a woman's lips covering the face of the corpse. I was confused and freaked out at the same time, I got the fuck out of that room as fast as i could.

In the next room, however, there was a rusty wheelchair with a rotting baby doll sitting in it. That was spooky. Another thing that made that room spooky, was the fact that in a cage there was a corpse of what looked like a woman hanging onto the edge of the cage with one hand, and holding another one of the dolls in it's other hand. I only pray that those are actual dolls.

I have played some freaky games man.  I'm actually in the process of becoming a gamer on youtube.  So check me out later.  I'm Pnaramaturtle5.  Anyways, back on topic.  I would have to say the scariest game I have ever played is The Grudge.  That is messed up dude.  See a pic below.

post-11645-0-06650800-1358703881.jpg

Thank you once again for taking out of your time to read my reply, and I hope to read some good replies other people have posted.

I'm just gonna come out and say it: Half Life and Opposing Force were the scariest games I ever played, mainly due to the head crabs, combined with the fact that I hate spiders; whoever came up with the concept for those games was a genius! the sound, the atmosphere, the enemies you have to fight, the story in general, everything combined perfectly to make me ever so scared; it's like the two games (which are basically the same story told from different perspectives) were made to freak me out XD

in fact, I never even had the guts to play Half Life 2, mainly due to a little thing called Ravenholm; well, that and the black headcrabs...

• 3 weeks later...

SCP-087. I don't get scared of any movie/game that I play, so you know it's scary when this made me jump right off my bed and scream. XD 

It's scary in a more psychological way though. Still very entertaining, especially when showing friends.  :lol:

Amnesia,Slender,Bioshock series,to name a few...Don't forget the Carnivores games too.The friggin T.rex always pops up when you less expect it.And the King Kong game too.THOSE CENTIPEDES,DEAR GOD,THOSE CENTIPEDES

System Shock 2, no game has made me feel so small and helpless since. You start with very little weaponry and even as you progress your always much weaker than your enemies, even on the easiest setting.

Amnesia, Dead Space, and BioShock.

Amnesia gets progressively less scary, but during that first hour or two? Fucking mortifying.

Dead Space was pretty scary. Besides the jump scares, the details that the designers put into the game are what really make it so damn creepy.

And BioShock is not scary, really, but the world design and atmosphere are so perfect. It's dark, destroyed, hopeless, and dark. It showcases how dilapidated the citizens of Rapture are, both physically and emotionally, which is pretty damn bad.

Amnesia gets progressively less scary, but during that first hour or two? Fucking mortifying.

I disagree. Haven't you been to the prison? I'd hide in empty cells for fifteen minutes at a time, before dashing to the next, because everything was so paralysingly frightening :3

• Brohoof 1