Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming The Scariest Game You've Ever Played

Moog the Kvlt

I would have to say "Calling" for the Wii. It's one of those jumpscare games. But the thing that scares me are the random pop-ups and random sounds every now and then. I actually liked the characters also. Oh and oh god, those dolls at the beginning...just no. blink.png

(edited)

Silent Hill 3. Hands Down, everything about this game is pretty messed up. From the Environments, the abominations of enemies and the sound ambience, just....horrifying.

Resident Evil 4, while having a fair balance of Horror/Action, it still had it's moments, especially the Regeneradores was terrifying; the Garradors weren't slouches either and the Verdugo boss fight was pretty scary as well.

As for Indie Games, i'd go for Pesadelo and the Slender : The Arrival.

Edited by coolwar13@yahoo.de

Any 1st gen Pokémon games. Why? Lavender Town

Also, Pokémon mystery dungeon. Why? you got turned into a Pokémon for no reason you can remember, the aforementioned amnesia, the voice that happens when you are in a floor of a dungeon for too long, and the (slightly scary) dream sequences.

Minecraft: especially in my Hardcore play-through. my house is underground at the moment (haven't played it in a while due to problems with the computer that it's on). my house/mine has three entrances (two doors for each) and a 1-1 block opening at night in case of zombie breakthroughs. but the noise they make when they are trying to tear down the doors even with that small opening makes me double/triple check to see if they will get through or not... and i had an Enderman that teleported into an area where i was going to have my animals i just poured lava from above the area into it and watched it burn.

Bioshock: the atmosphere just got a little too creepy after hearing the footsteps of the big Daddies and the voice of the girls and other maniacs. even when they weren't there i felt like something/someone was following me

The biggest jump I ever had playing a game was, oddly enough, from Metroid Prime Hunters.  There's a part not far into the game where after running through a relatively desolate hallway, an enemy drops down on you immediately after you go through the door.  That's really all there was to it, but I never would have expected it both from the general atmosphere of the portion of the game and the fact that it was Metroid, so the thought of possible jump scares never crossed my mind.

But as for scary games...Slender made me jump a bit the few times I tried it.  I never did get around to beating that one though out of quickly diminishing interest.

Amnesia does a really great job of creating an unsettling atmosphere and putting you in moments of desperation.  I only ever played the demo but have seen the whole game by way of Let's Plays.  Absolutely hate the ending though.

I was impressed with Ib as I went in not expecting jump scares in a 2D 16-bit game to have any effect on me, and some did a little bit.  It had a pretty interesting story too (though I should give a disclaimer that it's a game made with what was almost certainly an illegal copy of RPG Maker 2000).

Speaking of Metroid though, the early moments (after Ceres Station blows up, but before you get the Morph Ball) of Super Metroid are super-atmospheric for the time.

And Minecraft.  I've been playing a new world on Hard recently and the mobs seem hellbent on making me jump as much as possible; usually dropping out of the air every time I feel certain I'm in a safe place.

I still remember feeling a little terrified the first time I aggravated an Enderman and heard that horrible sound.  But then there came a time when I was questing to the Ender Dragon and fought Enderman like crazy, so they don't scare me anymore.

I've never played a game that was "scary" to me, I remember Slender was the closest thing to getting me 'scared' and it was more just jumpscare rather than fear.

I'll try this LSD: Dream Emulater, I can't fathom why people could fear a game.

Oh yeah, memories, I remember playing the first Dead Space at night with every light out, I didn't get creeped out until I went to the kitchen to grab a snack in the pitch black.

Lets see....

Amnesia,Dread Out,Fatal Frame.Dead Space 1 and 2 (Love those games) and I think thats about it for now.

I love horror games, even though when I was younger I was terrified of them xD

This year is bringing out some awesome horror games though, so I can't wait :3

I don't play horror games due to me being paranoid and jumpy enough as it is, but i used to play an RPG game called Nox, it had some pretty creepy moments. The noise that those giant scorpions made when they saw you and came after you scared the shit out of me every single time. 

Dead Space 1,2 no doubt. Packed with action, gore and scares.

Amnesia, its creepy but I got bored fast because Its all about hiding.

Call Of Cuthulhu Darkest Corners Of The Earth has a very unsettling atmosphere to it.

SCP-173 is definiately the scariest game I've played. I mean seriously, my sleep pattern died after me playing that for a night or two.

Never will I play it, never never never ever ever ever again.

• 4 months later...

I think the scariest game i have played was SCP Containment breach with the jumpscares and i hate Jumscares so much

It's scary to me

Edited by codelyoko373

I play horror games but none really scare me. But, based off of games I actually played and didn't watch others play...I'll go with:

Calling.jpg

This game was received pretty negatively, but I actually kind of like it. The reason it scares me is because of the jumpscares, atmospheres, dolls, darkness, and random moments. I don't know...I liked it.

I've started playing Outlast today. Survived for 40 minutes. Obviously most scary game, I've ever touched, even both Amnesia games weren't that scary. I wonder if I will actually manage ti finish it :P But well, I generally get scared easily while playing game.

Okay, I didn't play it, but I watched a play through of it. (Two at least, I think..) Clock Tower for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. It wasn't released outside of Japan, but folks have made a English translation of a rom for it. It's...I dunno why...But it..I dunno. I had a really bad experience with it. Just saying that..

Dead Space 2 with turtle beaches. Scared me stiff and was afraid of the series ever since then but then again I finished it not to long ago.

Wasn't first Dead Space scarrier? I mean I was scared many times while playing Dead Space and in Dead Space 2 it all seemed less scary, because You wasn't as defenseless as before. And unlimited kinesis made it almost unncecesarry to use a gun actually. 

Dead Space? Really, the scare moments... heart stopper... or what ever you call that specific moment and time, when something is about to jump in front of you and scare the hell out of you. Lights suddenly go out, sudden change in music, a sudden play of an in-game cutscene, a decreasment in visual range and view of your surroundings. You could easily guess them all

And I would say Amnesia, you will get use to it but it will take you sometime to get use to because I haven't got used to it yet.

Thought, I wouldn't say the same for Amnesia A Machine For Pigs, doesn't feel like the last one -- doesn't have that certain atmosphere.

Scariest game I played was Dead Space. It was the first horror game I ever played and it was very fun. That game put me on edge every time I entered a room. Nowhere felt safe. Add to that the necromorphs gave me nightmares for a little while. Scary, but awesome. It was because of Dead Space that I became interested in horror games.

Dreadhalls with the Oculus Rift. It is scary as hell and puts you right in the game. I cried I was so scared while playing it. The atmosphere is perfect and it keeps you guessing with where the doors are since it's a randomly generated game. It's scary as hell.

I know it's rather old, but Silent Hill still has a rather frightening atmosphere.

Beyond that I suppose Amnesia, though I haven't played it that long.

(I only got so far in SH because I was with a friend)

Edited by BrightEyes

I think the scariest game i have played was SCP Containment breach with the jumpscares and i hate Jumscares so much

What about you?

Just letting you know that I've merged your thread about scary games with one on the same topic. Please remember to use the search function in the future to see if your thread idea exists. :)

SCP-173 is definiately the scariest game I've played. I mean seriously, my sleep pattern died after me playing that for a night or two.

Never will I play it, never never never ever ever ever again.

I don't think there a game called SCP-173 

I think you mean SCP Containment breach but if there is a game called SCP-173 then cool :D