Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Just an OC..

akita-ken

I haven't had anything to draw lately so I've been helping people with their OCs. Here is @Kolth's OC 'Lingo Cider'.  :)

Yea it's nothing great  :blush:

post-7476-0-11032600-1358664272_thumb.png

Edited by akita-ken
  • Brohoof 10

"Nothing great"? How about absolutely awesome and fantastic and you're an awesome person for drawing this for me! Thanks a bundle!  :wub:

I like making ponies happy :) unfortunately I tend to set the bar too high for myself so I'm never happy because I can't stop comparing myself to better artists  :lol:

It's great really this tread deserves way more replies on the side note the cutie mark shouldn't it be rotated a bit? because now she stands on her hind legs but if she would stand on the ground with all her hooves the cutie mark wouldn't be correct (Don't know how to really explain it any better)

On a side note how do you get these lines so smooth?

Edited by Sensuna
  • Brohoof 1

Hey, this is pretty dern awesome! I wouldn't say it's "nothing great"; it's amazing. :P

No seriously though. I am actually very impressed by what you did with Lingo's facial expression, especially her eyes. For some reason they just really stand out to me as really well-done.

Also, the only reason that I can't really think of much else to say about that is that as far as show-accuracy goes, it is flawless. That is no mean feat.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It's great really this tread deserves way more replies on the side note the cutie mark shouldn't it be rotated a bit? because now she stands on her hind legs but if she would stand on the ground with all her hooves the cutie mark wouldn't be correct (Don't know how to really explain it any better)

On a side note how do you get these lines so smooth?

Haha yes you are right, the cutie mark should be tilted more to the left because if she stands on all fours it would be close to horizontal :P I only made it almost straight because I didn't want the bubbles to look like they were defying physics by flowing out of the mug  :lol:

Oh, the lines are very smooth because I'm a vector artist, and the upside about vector art is that lines can be adjusted after they're drawn. the downside is that it's difficult if not impossible, to do any form of shading whatsoever. if you've seen the stuff that octavia's cellozoid or firebolt does, yeah it's close to impossible for me to replicate that kind of art style :)

Hey, this is pretty dern awesome! I wouldn't say it's "nothing great"; it's amazing. :P

No seriously though. I am actually very impressed by what you did with Lingo's facial expression, especially her eyes. For some reason they just really stand out to me as really well-done.

Also, the only reason that I can't really think of much else to say about that is that as far as show-accuracy goes, it is flawless. That is no mean feat.

I was actually pretty worried about her eyes, because from my previous pieces I've tended to derp the eyes a lot and I spent almost an hour experimenting with different shapes and sizes before settling on one and hoping for the best  :blink:

Thank you! awww you really think it's good enough to be show-accurate?? That has got to be the best thing I've heard from anyone so far! *glomp* xD

Edited by akita-ken
  • Brohoof 1

Haha yes you are right, the cutie mark should be tilted more to the left because if she stands on all fours it would be close to horizontal :P I only made it almost straight because I didn't want the bubbles to look like they were defying physics by flowing out of the mug  :lol:

Oh, the lines are very smooth because I'm a vector artist, and the upside about vector art is that lines can be adjusted after they're drawn. the downside is that it's difficult if not impossible, to do any form of shading whatsoever. if you've seen the stuff that octavia's cellozoid or firebolt does, yeah it's close to impossible for me to replicate that kind of art style :)

I was actually pretty worried about her eyes, because from my previous pieces I've tended to derp the eyes a lot and I spent almost an hour experimenting with different shapes and sizes before settling on one and hoping for the best  :blink:

Thank you! awww you really think it's good enough to be show-accurate?? That has got to be the best thing I've heard from anyone so far! *glomp* xD

Vector eh? never really heard of that before what I do I just draw in paint tool sai so can you explain about this "vector" and stuff?

Essay time!  :lol:

Vector eh? never really heard of that before what I do I just draw in paint tool sai so can you explain about this "vector" and stuff?

Well there are basically two types of graphics out there: vector and raster. The type of program you use will determine whether your art is vector or raster. The main difference is in how the computer handles the lines that you draw. In a vector art program as you draw a line, the program will construct your line using 'points' (think of it like those connect-the-dots art books you had as kid). After the line is drawn, the collection of 'points' that make up that line is considered as a single 'path', meaning it's like an object you can move around freely, and it is independent from all the other lines. this means that if you drew a line and it came out all crooked, or not to your liking, you could either draw over it again to make it change slightly, or you can use your mouse to manually select the points and move them about. Of course because everything is essentially just a collection of 'points', this means that vectors can be resized to *any* size with no loss of quality whatsoever. (If I wanted to make a building-sized poster of Lingo Cider here, I could technically just export a 10 meter by 10 meter version of it and it'll look the same as it is now :P

The downside of vector art is that because everything is made out of 'points', it's very difficult to just use a brush tool or something to 'shade' an object, because it'll just come out as a bunch of messy lines that overlap one another. In fact, I don't even have stuff like an airbrush tool, blur tool, smudge tool, or options for fading and all that. What you see as colour on the pony is essentially an outline of a  'pony-shaped object' with a colour fill  :)

post-7476-0-18063600-1358697766_thumb.png

Illustrator, Flash and Inkscape (which is free) are examples of vector art programs. From the outset I've been going for show accurate, which is why I chose to train myself in vector art, because MLP is animated in Flash :)

Raster art programs however, are more like proper pen and paper. The moment you draw a line, it's set in stone already. There's no such thing as going back to select the line and adjusting it. If you drew it wrong the only thing you can do is either undo it or erase part of it and try to fix it. The upside of this however, is that you can do a lot of great things with airbrushes and pen tools and blur tools and all that good stuff, that's why raster artists tend to generate pieces that have great shading and shadows and all that. This is the reason why I have a great respect for artists who use raster programs but yet are able to make vector-quality artwork, because the sheer amount of precision required is just amazing to me.

The majority of the programs out there are raster, Paint Tool SAI, CorelDraw, Photoshop, GIMP and MSPaint are all raster.

I have Paint Tool SAI, but have not figured out how to use it yet  :blush:

• Brohoof 1

Why saying "nothing great" when "nearly perfect" would be more accurate.

That's some very good job you did there and you even take time to explain how you did it, a big brohoof, and a big bravo.

• Brohoof 1

Hello!

Very nice. I like the idea of the OC. I have never seen a Bartender before, so it's quite unique to me. Still trying to figure out if her talent is drinking or brewing :lol:

• Brohoof 1

Why saying "nothing great" when "nearly perfect" would be more accurate.

That's some very good job you did there and you even take time to explain how you did it, a big brohoof, and a big bravo.

Aww you're too kind  :wub: I always enjoy explaining stuff to people, because when I learnt these things I had no one to explain to me  :)

I like it a lot. It's really nice and I like the art style you chose to illustrate the alcohol. I'm going to assume this OC is a bartender by the way you drew them.

Thanks! :3

Hello!

Very nice. I like the idea of the OC. I have never seen a Bartender before, so it's quite unique to me. Still trying to figure out if her talent is drinking or brewing :lol:

She's a bartender all right! At least that's what I can gather from the RP character page that @Kolth has on her :P

http://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/lingo-cider-r2141

Sometimes I like to lurk around the RP forums to read up on the interesting stuff that people come up with  :lol:  It's fun to see characters that I've drawn come to life :3

• Brohoof 3