Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Brony Documentary Discussion

Slendermane

After having months to think over things about the doc, I still like it quite a bit. I think it's kinda bittersweet though now that one of the big-name bronies they very briefly showed has fallen so far and hurt so many people out of some kind of misguided and twisted sense of justice. It's almost sad seeing their short segment now that they've burned their bridges with all but the most forgiving bronies(and even those people approach them with caution).

On the good side though, if you ever need reminding why you became a brony in the first place watching the doc is the way to go. Aside from a couple cringeworthy moments from the "experts(read, idiot shrinks who can't seem to think before they speak) as they put their foots square in their mouths. On a lighter kind of bittersweet, it's sad that Tombstone won't be making more brony music, but I feel a sense of pride that one of our ranks was able to achieve the dream and become a professional musician(and he says he'll still come to cons and do shows, and that he's in no way leaving the fandom, so that's a plus). Speaking of music, playing "Long Way To Equestria" over the credits was a great send out and a awesome way to cap it all off(combined with the feels from the doc itself, it almost brought me to tears)  

Just to let you know that I've merged your thread "The Brony Documentary" with our larger thread for discussing the documentary. In the future, please use our search feature to check for existing threads smile.png

I used the search feature to search for this thread and like the little ol' purple dragon said, "I got nothin."

Literally no results. An error actually.

So I went ahead and made a wager and created a new thread.

• 2 months later...

I watched that documentary on netflix last week, and its one of my favorite documentaries (yes I watch enough of those to have a favorite xD). It was wonderfully done, with Jon de Lancy doing a great job as the main narrator. It is not a brony smear campaign (I had feared it would be at first too) but it is really a wonderfully done piece on brony culture. I highly recommend all bronies watch it.

• Brohoof 2

Haven't seen and probably won't since I don't have Netflix, neither I know what it is.

It's Pretty good! I recommend watching it on youtube.

I watched that documentary on netflix last week, and its one of my favorite documentaries (yes I watch enough of those to have a favorite xD). It was wonderfully done, with Jon de Lancy doing a great job as the main narrator. It is not a brony smear campaign (I had feared it would be at first too) but it is really a wonderfully done piece on brony culture. I highly recommend all bronies watch it.

Just finnished it. Its freakin AWESOME! 10/10

• Brohoof 2

It's Pretty good! I recommend watching it on youtube.
I

Ok, I'll watch it tonight since I don't have time right now I have a physics test to learn for ;) They should air that documentary here since nobody knows anything about bronies cause this whole country is closed-minded :/

• Brohoof 1

I bought it from iTunes a couple of weeks ago and it was brilliant. Honestly, I was almost in tears (of happiness) by the end of it. I'd definitely recommend watching it.

• Brohoof 2

I don't like it. Mostly because its people trying too hard to make us look good. I don't recommend anyone to watch it as its only purpose is to make the fandom look good and it does not even go to the bad side of the fandom

I don't like it. Mostly because its people trying too hard to make us look good. I don't recommend anyone to watch it as its only purpose is to make the fandom look good and it does not even go to the bad side of the fandom

There are forty-two million people out there trying to make us look bad.  We don't need anymore of that.  This documentary is a breath of fresh air.  It actually shows Bronies being normal, as opposed to going around trying to find the weirdest Brony they can find like the others do.  Also what "bad side" of the fandom are you referring too?  Cloopesr?  Please explain to me how their "bad"

As much as I love John de Lancie, I think they did make some mistakes with their strategy for this documentary.  Where they were obviously trying to showcase the fact that bronies are normal people just like everybody else, I think they made a mistake in showcasing people who specifically have the most tragic stories they could find related to being a brony.  I think from the perspective of a person outside of the fandom, it makes the documentary seem unrealistic because it tries too hard to make it sound like there's some sort of gross amount of violence against bronies.  It's a hard sell when the average person isn't leaving their house and seeing someone being beaten because they have a fluttershy shirt on.  When you do that and try too hard to garner sympathy, I think you're going to shut out a lot of viewers and make them discount the documentary as propaganda (which it basically was).

While I do like this documentary, I think ultimately its approach at showing who bronies really are was defeated by its own methods.  Frankly, I think that nobody is ever going to really understand this community after a documentary unless a completely neutral third party were to do a story and really make a strong effort and showing who the average person in the community is both without showing the freakiest brony they can find and without showing the most sympathetic one they can find.  If they did a documentary like this one but cut out those extremes and had an uninterested third party doing the documentary, I think people might actually take it seriously and learn a thing or two about the community.

Just my two cents anyway :D

• Brohoof 1

There are forty-two million people out there trying to make us look bad. We don't need anymore of that. This documentary is a breath of fresh air. It actually shows Bronies being normal, as opposed to going around trying to find the weirdest Brony they can find like the others do. Also what "bad side" of the fandom are you referring too? Cloopesr? Please explain to me how their "bad"

Not the cloppers, but show some events pf the fandom that shows that we are not normal. Like the twilicorn or derpygate. Just saying that it was biased

I feel that for the most part it was an accurate representation.

There were some moments I could have done without, though.

But over all, it did shed some light on us in a much better way then all the coverage we're getting from news channels.

I mean seriously... Why are Bronies on the news?

I strongly dislike it and feel that it is a waste of time/money/air waves.

Some stupid talk show talked about Bronies and now my biological father thinks we're all weird.

But the documentary, I'd give it an 8/10. It's good, could be better.

Edited by PartyWithPinkie

I have a question. Is it on Netflix yet? Because currently I have zero dabloons and I feel like I am missing out on something big, like Vallo said.

yesh! it's on netflix...watched it last week.

Oh, and fair warning...unless you have a heart of stone or are on HEAVY medication, bring a box of tissues...you will get hit in the feels.

My rating: 10/10, two thumbs up, 5 stars and Godzilla's stomp of approval!

Edited by FlashGear

I think bronies are definitely news worth and should be on the news, but the problem is besides quick 1 minute stories on bronycon, I rarely if ever see a television or radio show try and actually show what bronies are.  Usually it's either situations like Howard Stern where they specifically lie to make us look like a strange deviant sex cult or a Jerry Springer situation where they find the strangest brony they can possibly get their hooves on to make people think being a brony means you quit your job, dress up as fluttershy, and spend your days meeting in basements with other bronies to cosplay and rp. 

I haven't watched it yet, but I just have been going through the comments of it... Needless to say..the comments speak volumes about how people view the fandom.  Of course it comes down to clop, gore, and grimdark. Plus apparently the only authors of such content are men, and are misogynists. I'm sure there are female creators out there, that create their share of mature content  *sighs* Seems we have a long way to go.  

Edited by Sir Cal Stonehoof