Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Do You Keep Going?

The Stranger

Life can be unkind sometimes. Not everyone can be fortunate enough to have good parents, a home, friends, food. The list can go on and on. 

Just like most people in the world I haven't had the easiest life. Many things have gone wrong for me but the worst thing was when I lost all my friends when I started college almost two years ago. For almost two years I had no friends (I still don't) and I felt sorry for myself. I tried hard to make new friends but no one seemed to care. I ended up isolating myself from the outside world and fell into a silent sadness that I refused to share with anyone. 

This sadness lasted for a while until one night I did one thing I never thought I'd do. I picked up a pen and started writing poetry. I couldn't seem to stop myself. I wrote for hours. Poems, stories, journal entries. You name it. It kept me from losting my sanity completely and kept me stable in my isolation. 

I don't know when down the line this happened but I eventually found the willpower to live. I was sick of feeling sorry for myself and I no longer wanted to drag on feeling this way. Sure I feel sad once in a while but I get over it fast.

So what keeps me going? 

WillPower: I try my hardest to control my emotions. Every time I feel sadness I tell myself everything's going to be alright.

Benevolence: I've always cared for others as odd as it may seem. I'm the kind of person who will go out of my way to help or comfort someone in need even if I don't know them. Even if I get nothing in return. 

Hope: Nothing bad lasts forever. Things look bad for me sometimes but whenever I feel lost I look up at the heavens and have hope for the future. I'll be okay. 

Courage: Things feel difficult at times and sometimes responsibility scares me. Even so, when things look grim I close my eyes and charge in full throttle. I don't have time to fear the outcome so I charge in with hope that things will work out. 

So what keeps you going? What keeps you from giving up and just letting your life slip away?

Edited by Celestial Valour
  • Brohoof 26

What keeps me going? This is going to be really cheesy but, my family. They're always there to support me, always saying things like "we're proud of you" or "your doing great", always singing my praises. They've pushed me much farther than I thought I would go. So I push on with that " I can't let them down" feeling as sad as that may sound. 

Times have been tough before but with some support from my family and some stress relievers (playing music and games), I've been able to pull through so far.

• Brohoof 7

I keep going on the off-chance that I keep someone else going. If I'm not helping someone else, I see no reason why I should exist, honestly. If I'm not making someone else's life better than my own life is meaningless to me.

Edited by Harmonic Revelations
  • Brohoof 15

(First off, the name of this topic doesn't really make sense.)

Dreams - dreams are the biggest things that keep me going. Having a dream makes me want to live so I can fulfil it.

Happiness - if you're happy, you'll want to get up in the morning and live.

Motivation - If you have something to live for, you want to live.

I'm happy with my life. These are a few of the things that keep me going.

What keeps me going is my Goals in life. I feel that I have a sort of..."Mission" here that I have to achieve. I Love my family for the support they give me. Life's too short to waste you know. So no matter your background never forget what you hold dear..It may just save your life :)

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

(First off, the name of this topic doesn't really make sense.)

Dreams - dreams are the biggest things that keep me going. Having a dream makes me want to live so I can fulfil it.

Happiness - if you're happy, you'll want to get up in the morning and live.

Motivation - If you have something to live for, you want to live.

I'm happy with my life. These are a few of the things that keep me going.

Yes I know. Spelling error.  :huh: I was typing fast and forgot to check my spelling after. No one is perfect. Typing fast is one of my faults. 

I fixed it.

Edited by Celestial Valour
  • Brohoof 1

Simple. One day, I'm gonna be freakin' famous. I'll be in the history books. I'll have my own Wikipedia page. Third graders will make macaroni art depicting scenes from my life. Emotions are temporary, as is our time on this planet. That's why I need to be remembered forever.

• Brohoof 5

I have a complex set of reasons why I keep going in life.

1. Beauty: Despite the fact that life can be terrible, sometimes it can be awesome. Whether it be nature, art, science, the work of talented writers like yourself, the kindness of others, or anything else, there is Beauty in this world that I don't want to miss.

2. Purpose: I have a number of things I have decided I must do in my life.

3. My Art: I am passionate about my literary, artistic, and musical works (mostly my written works), and I strive to improve them, create them, and see them succeed.

4. Benevolence: Basically the same as what you said.

5. Courage: same as well

6. Competition: I see Life as an enemy or challenge to be defeated, and I refuse to lose. 

7. ???: I have one major reason which I don't like to discuss for a lot of reasons, the foremost being that it would take a long time to describe it effectively.

Just like most people in the world I haven't had the easiest life. Many things have gone wrong for me but the worst thing was when I lost all my friends when I started college almost two years ago. For almost two years I had no friends (I still don't) and I felt sorry for myself. I tried hard to make new friends but no one seemed to care. I ended up isolating myself from the outside world and fell into a silent sadness that I refused to share with anyone. 

This sadness lasted for a while until one night I did one thing I never thought I'd do. I picked up a pen and started writing poetry. I couldn't seem to stop myself. I wrote for hours. Poems, stories, journal entries. You name it. It kept me from losting my sanity completely and kept me stable in my isolation. 

Wow.  :blink: This reminds me so much of myself. 

Edited by MelancholicMemory
  • Brohoof 5

Seeing as I'm going to be dead forever, I might as well take all the time I can get before that happens, as I'm not coming back, and I need to do as much as I can until I cannot do anymore. (Dying)

Benevolence: I've always cared for others as odd as it may seem. I'm the kind of person who will go out of my way to help or comfort someone in need even if I don't know them. Even if I get nothing in return. 

Hope: Nothing bad lasts forever. Things look bad for me sometimes but whenever I feel lost I look up at the heavens and have hope for the future. I'll be okay. 

Those two, and well... um..  Other than that I really don't know..  Making others happy is another one I guess, since i've always had really bad luck.  And that luck is triple bad whenever I do decide to try to only make me happy... (I figured it 'could' work, but it set me back even farther.)  Oh, and, I just figure as long as everyone else is happy, I can be happy.  If ppl are sad I'll try to cheer them up best I can.  I'm at a point in my life where if I didn't have so much hope and faith (Oh yeah, my faith in my friends and myself is one that keeps me going alot too) that everything would get better, I'd probably be depressed all the time :/   The thing that keeps me going the most of these would probably be faith in myself and others.  here, have a pinkie pie cause she's awesomes:   :)

• Brohoof 3

It's been harder and harder to answer that question lately. My family hasn't been of too much help when it comes to catering to my emotional needs, and my friends don't do a good job of that either. I definitely need a change, whether it be in terms of who I spend time with, or the places I go, or anything, really. It helps that I'm going to a different college, but my motivation and sense of purpose are not terribly strong (or defined). Although I will say that after reading your post, I'm curious to try the poetry thing. I've dabbled in it before, but my attention span has never really lasted long enough for me to piece the poem/rap segments together to make a truly memorable work of art

• Brohoof 2

What keeps me going? This is going to be really cheesy but, my family. They're always there to support me, always saying things like "we're proud of you" or "your doing great", always singing my praises. They've pushed me much farther than I thought I would go. So I push on with that " I can't let them down" feeling as sad as that may sound. 

Times have been tough before but with some support from my family and some stress relievers (playing music and games), I've been able to pull through so far.

I wish I had a family like that. <_<

I don't fully know what keeps me going on in life, but I'm pretty sure friendship is the main reason. Friends make you laugh, get you to try out new things, push you to your limits, and they are, in my opinion, the only people you can really trust. If you can find that one friend who you can talk about anything with, they make you laugh 24/7, etc, you have no reason to not keep going. ;)

• Brohoof 2

It's been harder and harder to answer that question lately. My family hasn't been of too much help when it comes to catering to my emotional needs, and my friends don't do a good job of that either. I definitely need a change, whether it be in terms of who I spend time with, or the places I go, or anything, really. It helps that I'm going to a different college, but my motivation and sense of purpose are not terribly strong (or defined). Although I will say that after reading your post, I'm curious to try the poetry thing. I've dabbled in it before, but my attention span has never really lasted long enough for me to piece the poem/rap segments together to make a truly memorable work of art

If poetry is difficult for you because of your attention span as you wrote why not give a form of literature call soliloquies a try. It's a type of poetry but it's much more personal and you don't have to worry about rhyming if you feel like giving it a pass. Soliloquies are something you'd hear in a play but that doesn't mean it has to be done on stage. I've written a soliloquy here on the MLP forums if you want an example of one.

===

soliloquies  plural of so·lil·o·quy (Noun)
Noun
  1. An act of speaking one's thoughts aloud when by oneself or regardless of any hearers, esp. by a character in a play.
  2. A part of a play involving such an act.

• Brohoof 1

What keeps me going is knowing that I can help society in some way, knowing how bad modern people are. Sure, that way may be a very small factor compared to the big picture, but I'll do anything to help. As Fluttershy once said, "everypony's contribution is important, no matter how small,"

Edited by Azurepony4269
  • Brohoof 4

I live by two simple philosophies. Cherish what you have, for you never know when it might be taken away; and always look forward to what's for dinner. Anything else isn't worth the worry.

It's a simple thing, and definitely won't be enough to support everyone, but it works for me. Hakuna matata.

• Brohoof 5

What keeps me going is the fact that quitting is for losers.

Never quit. Never give up. Never surrender. Keep fighting to your last dying breath.

No matter how bad it seems you just need to keep going.

There is no need for hope, courage, or benevolence.

There are stacks and stacks of work to be done!

-Functioning on willpower alone for 6th strait year.

Edited by Cowl
  • Brohoof 4

I keep going because I have to. Otherwise I'd be dead! Being dead is rubbish, you won't make any new friends or do anything particularly interesting by being dead.

That said, I do think my life is slipping away. My job is interesting, to say the least, but it's not what I want to do for the rest of my life. The specific things that I look forward to are the chances to create something that will tell a story and make people laugh or cry. If I had all the time in the world, I would master the art of storytelling.

Other than that, I guess the main thing that keeps me going are the people in my life. I'm very fortunate to have some good friends (which is fairly recent) and some excellent family (who I could never, ever hurt by 'giving up')

Edited by decoherence
  • Brohoof 1

The only reason I'm still going is because life is easy, as of now. As a 16 year old, I have very few responsibilities, and the ones I do have, I don't really do anyway. However, I still get luxuries and whatnot, just because... well, no reason. Things like my laptop, phone, etc. I really enjoy anime, so that's something that I wake up for every day. Music, too, is quite nice. However, other than anime and anime-related music (remixes and such), I really don't personally have any other reason to "keep going", and I most likely won't keep going for very much longer. I don't really have a "family" to keep pushing me to keep me going, and with the immense amount of things I dislike, and the lack of things I do like, I don't see any reason. Soon enough, I'll eventually start acting like a total douchebag towards everyone I know to get them to hate me, that way they don't miss me when I'm gone, or something like that. :v I've actually already started that, really. Eh, it's whatever.

But yeah, life is just easy and good as of now, so I figure I may as well live it for a bit. Then I'll be selfish, later on and uh, yeah. c:

What keeps me going? Wow... lots of things...

1) Humans: I just love them. How do people keep slandering them when they are so amazing? I'm looking at you, Mr Dawkins.

2) Help: I believe I was put on this earth to help people. So that's what I'm going to do!

3) Dreams: I have a few dreams that I am determined to make come true. There's one particular dream that shines above the rest...

4) Life: Living is a good feeling. Life is a challenge with many obstacles to overcome. That is my philosophy in life. I can never for up because that's admitting defeat. I'm going to stick life out for as long as I can, taste all it has to give me so that I can die smiling.

Edited by Faceless

I wish I could say what keeps me going. I'm still trying to figure that out. I've got my dreams of giving back to the world, I've got my dreams of being famous - hopefully I can simultaneously fulfill both. As for anything more specific...*pony shrug*. How I can fulfill those dreams I'm still trying to figure out. At 19 I know less about myself than I probably should.

With that said, thought , I do have some ideals that I do live by, and I guess they can all be summed up in the phrase "Carpe Diem" - Sieze the Day. The world is such an amazing place, and we have so little time to discover so much. In life you have no time to waste, we need to spend every moment living and loving.

So to anyone who is wondering why to keep going, life itself is reason enough. Because life is the only state in which one can even have an iota of a chance at the hope of happiness. In death, there is nothingness. In life, there is at least the chance of something more.

Edited by AtomicBassCannon
  • Brohoof 4

I keep going because I want to have fun.

The world is such a big and wondrous place. There's so much to it. So many things to experience, so many places to go, so many songs to listen to, so many pieces of art to see, so many books to read, so many things that can be created.

I want to experience as much of it as I can. I want to have as much fun as I can have. Yeah, life doesn't last forever, but nothing really lasts forever when you think about it.

It's not about the destination, it's about the journey. I don't think about how it's all going to end, I think about how I'm going to have fun, or the things that I can learn or create or experience in my life. Not about how it's all going to end. I don't got time for that!

I'm in it for the ride. I'm the one driving my life, so you can bet it's going to be one wild ride!

• Brohoof 7

This topic left me at loss of words, there's gotta be a reason for why I haven't given up earlier, given how shitty my life can turn into at times, but there's no reason for me to every day smile at things and hope for the best.