Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

10 Questions for Members who are 20 and under(or older)

Wingnut

1. I have never used a rotary phone but i know how the work.

2. I never really used the internet until i was 11.

3. Columbine.

4. We did indeed.

5. Meh

6.Nope

7. I actually played a copy of Zork on one of these. I collect games on the smaller ones.

8. Never.

9. Does thomas the tank engine count? If not, angry beavers.

10. Mostly

I am 18 years old

1. Yes i have used one, probably about 10 years ago, just because we had one lying around and i wanted to try it

2. Well i didn't know what the internet was until i was like 7 or 8 so does that count?

3. 9/11

4. Nope we never did.

5. i dont take history i wouldn't know :P

6. no, everyone has one.

7. we had to use floppy discs in my primary school in Australia until i was in about grade 5

8. probably last year, i do use it occasionally

9. Pokemon

10. i wouldn't know, I'm not you but i do find them kind of hard to watch.

I don't know, for some reason I want to write about this.

I was 18 when 9/11 happened, you would think I would have strong and clear memories of it, and I kinda do, but its mostly anecdotal and stuff that happened to me personally following those days. I vaguely remember coming upstairs and seeing my parents glued to the tv screen. I saw one plane go into the tower and I was like 'wtf? how does a pilot manage to do something that stupid?" Than I saw the second plane and I was like 'oh fuck... this was deliberate.' 

For the next week I was actually afraid that something like that might happen in Seattle. For the first time in my life, I was honestly afraid of a possible attack on my home city. I remember going down to the storage room and looking for our American flag which we promptly hung outside our house. I also remember a couple days later we drove downtown just because we do that sometimes, and I remember seeing a truck decked with American flags and honking his horn going through the streets and pumping his fist out the window. Just trying to be ultra patriotic I guess. 

I also remember going on a hike in the Washington state mountains about 2 weeks afterword. I don't remember the hike, what I remember is us getting to the look out point, and my dad saying to me 'you know Nick, with the world trying to kill itself, this is a much nicer spot to be.'  I'll always remember that.

I remember there were flags everywhere. The mainstreet in my little burrogh (West Seattle) was decked with red, white, and blue, and a lot of cars were sporting flags too. The political feeling... honestly... was 'lets go bomb someone.' We didn't care who it was, we just wanted to know who the culprit was and we wanted revenge. Even I got kind of swept up in that. As soon as GW Bush said 'Afghanistan, Taliban, Bin Laden,' we were all like 'great! Lets get some!' Well 90% of us were anyway. It wasn't until Bush started talking about invading Iraq that the majority of Americans were kinda like... ummm... ok.... 

I remember the fear lasted for a good three weeks or so. The fear that we might actually be bombed. If you grew up in the 90s which I did than you pretty much felt like the US was untouchable and that nothing from outside could actually hurt us.  9/11 proved us wrong.

• Brohoof 2

1. Yeah I do, the only reason being that my grandparents still had a working one when I was fairly young and they thought it was a good idea to teach me how to use.

2. I remember we didn't even use the internet really until we had broadband so I do remember a few years of not having it, although at that age it really doesn't bother you. 

3. I was actually round a friends house at the time when his mother came skidding into the front room while we were on the PlayStation 1 and changed over to our disapproval (we were only 8). I think it took a while for me to understand what went on though.

4. Yes! My grandparents on my dad's side live in Wales and whenever we stayed over our room had one of the sets in it and me and brother used to watch it for ages.

5. I didn't actually learn any of that through books, mostly because they were happening while I was learning about other history topics. 

6. No, we all have mobiles, although I only used to have one in case of an emergency.

7. In my first year of secondary school I was given one in a introductory package, I never ever used it.

8. Last week actually, I couldn't find the number of a client on the internet so I got out the trusty yellow pages!

9. Pokemon, I was actually obsessed with both the show and the games for ages. The original series was amazing and I actually have the entire first series on VHS somewhere.

10. I think those cartoons have a certain charm about them and while the actual quality of the visuals compared to modern cartoons (although this is perhaps due to the rise of HD and better quality TV's) the content of them is just as good, if not better.

• Brohoof 1

1. Do you know how to use a rotary phone and have you ever dialed one? If so, how long ago?

Nope, I've never dialed one before.

2. Did you have an early part in your life without Internet access? Parents disallowing it because you were too young doesn't count.

Yes, it was pretty easy actually until I started getting into gaming... oh that pull was just too strong.

3. What is the earliest national or world crisis you have a first hand memory of? Most of you will probably say September 11.

I know there was something before 9/11, but I forgot. It was in my country. (I don't live in USA)

4. Can you recall if your family had an old-fashioned TV with dials on it?

My family didn't have one.

5. Can you tell me what it's like to read about Saddam Hussein, Bill Clinton, the reunification of Germany, 9/11, and Hurricane Katrina in history textbooks?

Most recent history would be... restoration after WW2... pretty modern, eh?

6. Do you or does anybody in your family refuse to carry a cell phone? Again, parents disallowing it because you were too young doesn't count.

I refuse to carry a cell phone. I don't know why I don't like carrying one around, but I just don't use it. Even at my age (16), I still rarely use it.

7. Do you remember old school 5 1/4 inch floppy disks for computers? Maybe you're so young you don't even remember the 3.5 inch disks that were discontinued just a few years ago?

Floppy disks were epicly weird. I remember I broke a lot. :P

8. When was the last time you used the Yellow Pages to look up a phone number?

When I was calling for pizza.

9. What was the first cartoon you fell in love with? Don't say MLP:FiM. You're all supposed to be at least 13 so I know you have a well-liked cartoon from before that.  

I can't pinpoint which one I first loved but I guess I can say "Ah, Real Monsters" would be one of the first... but it is NOT the first.

10. Do cartoons from the 1980s look and sound as dated to you as cartoons from the '60s appear to me?

1980s cartoons? I watch them and I don't mind them at all. They aren't old to me, rather I treat them like something modern and they actually are way better than most shows today.

I don't know if you were expecting people like me to answer or what. Maybe you were expecting younger ones to answer. Meh, I am under 20 anyway.
  • Brohoof 1

I'm slightly older than 20. Anyways, this would be boring if all the answers where the same.

1. Do you know how to use a rotary phone and have you ever dialed one? If so, how long ago?

I have seen and used a dialup phone. probably 16 years ago.

2. Did you have an early part in your life without Internet access? Parents disallowing it because you were too young doesn't count.

Didn't get internet at home until I was 8. I then had 4 years of *shudder* dialup.

3. What is the earliest national or world crisis you have a first hand memory of? Most of you will probably say September 11.

1998 – Iraq. Operation Desert Fox: U.S. and British forces conduct a major four-day bombing campaign from December 16–19, 1998 on Iraqi targets.[RL30172]

My family never had one while I was alive.

5. Can you tell me what it's like to read about Saddam Hussein, Bill Clinton, the reunification of Germany, 9/11, and Hurricane Katrina in history textbooks?

My history text books didn't get that recent, they ended on Ross Perot.

6. Do you or does anybody in your family refuse to carry a cell phone? Again, parents disallowing it because you were too young doesn't count.

Everyone has one, some just refuse to answer.

7. Do you remember old school 5 1/4 inch floppy disks for computers? Maybe you're so young you don't even remember the 3.5 inch disks that were discontinued just a few years ago?

I used 3.5 all the time in elementary/middle school. They made us store our reports on them. I've even used a 5.25 to play an old computer game before.

Yesterday, online. I don't think I've ever used an actual phone book for its intended purpose

9. What was the first cartoon you fell in love with? Don't say MLP:FiM. You're all supposed to be at least 13 so I know you have a well-liked cartoon from before that. 

I'm going to have to say Jackie Chan adventures. Hooray for local television stations.

10. Do cartoons from the 1980s look and sound as dated to you as cartoons from the '60s appear to me?

Sort of, they look dated, but not as much as cartoons from the 60's.

1. Yes. in October, while me and my buds were in a hotel, we fucked around with other guests.

2. I first had net when I was about 6, way back when I was in NY.

3. The Kosovo Dilemma. STOP STEALING OUR LAND, SHIPTARS

4. Pfft, I can't remember, though I've used an old school TV at my cousin's

5. Serbian textbooks don't have American stuffs in them, simply because our country doesn't give a shit.

6. No.

7. I remember the 3.5 floppies, we still have a huge stack collecting dust @ our school.

8. A few months ago

9. Felix the Cat. Watched it on Animania like every Saturday afternoon back in NY.

10. Maybe just He-Man.

I'll be 25 next month.

Do you mean phones that utilized rotary service or the actual rotary phones? We had both, both of which I've used. The one that actually rotates, I think my parents got rid of a while ago, but they still have the automatic rotary, and it can still receive calls, just can't make outgoing calls, because we no longer have rotary service.

I think we first got internet when I was 10 or something like that. And that was old internet, where you actually had to connect to the internet every time you used it (lol dial-up roars) and when you searched for something, there was probably about a 15% chance you'd actually find it. I was 12 when the internet started becoming a thing, and computers started to be a regular household item. However, my family's had computers for as long as can remember. And we had old games, like Ski Free. (Search for it)

I remember seeing a picture in the paper about the Gulf War. I didn't figure out what it was until I was a little older, though. That's a really vague memory, and I don't identify much with it. I'd say that Columbine sticks out more in my mind. I'm sure I've lived through more, but I either don't remember them at the moment or didn't recognize them at the time.

Yes, we did. With the classic wood paneling and everything. I remember when I was 4, and we got a TV with buttons. It was a big deal.

The first time I learned about Bill Clinton in school as something other than current events was when I was in college. Eight years had passed since then, and it was very strange to study something in a history class that I actually lived through. And for the record, I think things like Katrina an Hussein were still considered current events at the time.

My Grandma won't use a cell phone. She doesn't see having a use for it. Besides, she's arthritic, and would probably have a difficult time trying to use it, I imagine. She still has her rotary phone, lol

What was mainly used when I was a kid were the 3.5 inch floppies. Actually, I used them into high school. I think I still have a bunch with a bunch of files on them. Too bad I don't have any way to read them, now. As for the 5 1/4 inch floppies, I think I vaguely remember them being used around me. I don't think I was allowed to use them, because I might have been too young, but I think I remember them.

The actual book? Probably 10 years ago. The site? Probably 4 years ago?

I was a TV-aholic, so I can't remember, really. I remember the things I watched, but I don't remember something I had a strong affinity for. I suppose the first memory I have of being really attached to a cartoon was The Simpsons. I think I might have been 4, maybe younger.

They both definitely have things that date them. The sound quality, the animation style, the quality of the animation, the dialogue... So it's hard to say. Both are definitely dated, at this point. That doesn't mean that their re-watch value has decreased at all, though.

• Brohoof 2

I just turned 19, so I'm kind of a strange case, in terms of this thread.

1.I'm not sure I've even seen one in real life.

2.Yes, but barely. My uncle actually still uses dial-up.

3.Yeah, 9/11, but I didn't understand it at the time.

4.Yes, when I was very little. Actually it was black and white, too.

5.I do remember all of them happening, except the reunification of Germany. My dad has a piece of the Berlin Wall, though.

6.My mom just doesn't have one, and until I got to College and needed one, I refused to carry one myself.

7.I vaguely remember 3.5, and my dad showed my a 5 and 1/4 floppy that he found the other day.

8.Maybe 4 or 5 years ago. I just ask people for their phone numbers.

9.It might be Bugs Bunny, actually. Otherwise, maybe Ed, Edd, and Eddie.

10. I'm not you so I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing no, not quite.

Edited by Alex-Kennedy

I'm older than 20, and not from US, so I think my answer will be slightly different.

Yep, I had used it a lot, but last time it was roughly 10 years ago.

I get dialup than I was 13, and it was my first internet at home, at 15 I get normal internet.

1994-1996, War in Chechnya, I dont think you know about it but one of my first memories from chidhood - marching troops on TV.

I still have one, but do not remember than it was turned on last time.

I had different textbooks, but all this things I've saw on TV (exept for the reunification of Germany)

Everyone has one.

Yep

Never.

Nu, pogodi! and Dangeons and Dragons.

Do not know what to answer :)

I am 19. 

1. Yes I know how to use one and the last time I ever actually dialed one was when I was very little at my grandparents house. 

2. Not really we always had a computer with us the one we had was a windows 95 computer I had used from time to time. *America Online*  ^_^ 

3. Without a doubt it would have to be 9/11 :(. I was in 2nd grade when it happened and I remember clear as day. Teacher ran out of our classroom and left all of us in there. Then she came back and we all gathered in our cafeteria to watch.

4. Yes at my grandparents and great grandparents house they had a couple. I even remember playing the n64 on one of them because it had that certain old school cable  (not composite). The quality was terrible though  :lol: .

5. While I was in school we learned all about the things that you posted in your question. Seeing hurricane katrina and what it did to new orleans was just awful. 

6. I am the *oddball of my generation* in this aspect. I despise cell phones and would rather not have one on me. But I do have a really cheap one that I use for emergencies etc.

7. Actually no we only learned how to use the 3.5 floppy disks when I was little. 

8. I used the yellow pages a lot when I was little at my grandparents house. At my parents house I would use it occasionally. It has been a couple of years I'd say since I last used it. 

9. Looney toons and Tom & Jerry :3 I used to watch these religiously at my grandparents :).

10. For certain cartoons of that time I'd say did not age well but at the same time there are plenty others that maintain their quality.

Those were some really neat questions! 

• Brohoof 1

@@Wingnut,

1.Rotary phone - up till 4 years ago

2.Internet didn't exist when I was young and even automobiles was uncommon as horses were the main form of transportation

3.a US backed dictator got into power and there's a short lived civil war against the communists

4.my family didn't have tv back then but I've been to places that had those black and white tvs with manual channel changer

6. my father carried a cellphone way back and it was like a brick

7.yea those damm disks are required for everything from saving files to softwares/games

8.never

9.animaniacs probably

10.yes, they have very low frame per second and they're badly animated.

11.cassette players and cassette tapes are still common where I live and I own 1 since the 80s, each music cassette only cost $0.50.

Edited by khaine21x3

Well, since you did edit it to include us old folks I'll go ahead and throw my answers in there, if just for contrast. Btw, I've really enjoyed reading everyone's answers. These are good questions and it's always interesting to see how the younger generation views things. (Mostly because you grow up knowing how the older generation views things). Seeing the 80s come into style lately made me say to my mom "This must be how you felt about kids loving the sixties."

I'm 32.

Yes, but it's probably been a good 20 years since I've dialed one. Amusingly, the first time I dialed a phone I asked my dad where the dash was.

I got AOL in 97, I was 17. Have made every attempt possible to  not be without it ever again. Whenever I have been without it I think "seriously, I lived 17 years without it, I should be able to make a few days."

Well the earliest big event I remember actually paying attention to was the fall of the Berlin Wall. I watched the news coverage and remember feeling amazed and excited.

Yup, regular channels and UHF. It also had a wood case. 

Something like This:

img-1113791-1-tv_zps36cfb370.jpg

In fact, that might be the exact one (go figure). To get to the dials you open the panel on the side. Also, when we got cable the cable box was about the size of a power strip, made to look like wood, and had push buttons on it to pick the channels.

Can't answer that, but I do have to say when I was in school we never made it to the end of the book before the end of the year. That means we were lucky if we got to WWII. I can't imagine them trying to shove in more stuff.

Nope. My Mom has a droid, and my grandma may even have a flip phone. Perhaps my grandmother's 80 something year old boyfriend/common law husband. But then he doesn't even like that Grandma uses the internet. I'm not sure he can comprehend what it is.

Yup. My uncle was a computer programmer for IBM, which was a big deal in the 80s. I remember he had a bootleg copy of King's Quest and we use to play on his computer. It was on multiple disks and after you switched one it would glitch and you couldn't play any further.

Does yellowpages.com count? I honestly don't remember the last time I let my fingers do the walking.

9. What was the first cartoon you fell in love with? I would actually have to think about that. I remember LOVING the g1 MLP. My brothers and I would watch that and GI Joe before school. Also, Captain Caveman, Dinosaucers, and Visionaries. I guess, the one I'd have to say I remember really falling in love with would be Thundercats.

I've often wondered this myself. I do find it funny to go back and watch some of the old cartoons. I often wonder how I managed to watch them and think they were good.

Edited by MoonFeather
  • Brohoof 3

Yes, my grandparents had one until about 1998. I used it a few times but it was a bit to slow for me. I think I last used it in 1995.

Yep, when there was not publicly accessible Internet until I was about 15 and even then I remember it being dial up only.

The earliest one I can remember was the original Gulf War, although I did watch the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Yep, once again my grandparents had one... Still do actually.

EDIT: I realize we have members all over the world. Feel free to cite whatever the latest history you saw in your school books was.

Lol The subject would be the Poll Tax riots and the rule of Thatcher.

No, no one does at least not in my family. A few friends do but their activist types that believe their being "tracked".

Yep, remember using the 5 1/4 floppys to load up the Oregan trail on the school computer. I had my commodore Amiga 64 which used the 3.5 disks to start its desktop.

The actual yellow pages? Oddly enough 2 years ago when my net was down lol.

Kimba the white lion!

They do, but I also recognise the sheer level of artistry involved.

Edited by Fridge

Kimba the white lion!

OMG YES!!! That is the first cartoon I actually have any memory of. My brother and I were totally in love with it! We didn't even realize it was Anime back then. If I recall correctly they showed it on the religious channel where I lived, hahahaha.

Edited by MoonFeather

I'm 16, here's mine.

1. I do know. My family has had one since ages, but the rotary disk thing is broken so it can't make calls.

2. I think I've always been using the Internet. I've been there since Dial-up was going out of fashion.

3. I honestly don't know.

4. We didn't, I know so. (I think)

5. Since I don't do history any more, I can probably say I don't know that feeling. The latest piece of history I saw in a history book was WWII.

6. Nope, we all have mobile phones bar my sister, who's only a little kid.

7. My mum once showed me one of those. And as for the 3.5 inch ones, I used to use them very often.

8. Never.

9. I'm not sure, but if it counted I would say Thunderbirds.

10. Having seen cartoons from the 60s myself (and by that I mean Wacky Races), I can say that they're both pretty dated.

Yes, I do, but no, I haven't used one.

Without internet access? I started playing dress-up games on the internet when I was 5. 

Uhhh....None, really...? Maybe hurricane Katrina. I was alive during September 11, but I was maybe 2 or 3.

No, we never did...

Don't really know. I've never read about it in history books. But it's really sad to see people crying about 9/11 on saved news reports...

EDIT:  I realize we have members all over the world.  Feel free to cite whatever the latest history you saw in your school books was. 

Um, well, no. Even my 10-year-old brother has one. 

No, we never used floppy disks, ever. We didn't get to start using the computer lab for anything but games until 4th grade (I was 9).

Couple years ago, maybe...?

9. What was the first cartoon you fell in love with? Don't say MLP:FiM. You're all supposed to be at least 13 so I know you have a well-liked cartoon from before that.   :P

Tom and Jerry and Scooby Doo!! I also fell in love with the Merrie Melodies when I was 11. 

No, I love them. I like 70's, 80's, and 90's shows better though. Like Fawlty Towers and Monty Python and That 70's Show and Seinfeld. <3

• Brohoof 1

I don't know if anyone remembers Captain Planet or the Get-Along Gang from the 80's, but they weren't the greatest.

Captain Planet tried to make environmentalism and mullets hip. His mullet was the only thing I really liked about that show. I also had a mullet at the time.

I remember buying one from a garage sale for $4. It was awesome and made for the perfect Super Nintendo experience.

That's the only real way to play with pre-fifth generation consoles. I've been looking all over for another one (never thought I would have regretted getting rid of those things 10 years ago) but haven't had any luck. Hopefully yard sales this Spring will avail me something.

Yup, regular channels and UHF. It also had a wood case. 

Something like This:

img-1113791-1-tv_zps36cfb370.jpg

Ah, yes. Back when a television was a piece of furniture. The only problem I have with console TVs like that is the sound. That is, the power supplies make a high-pitched whine that bugs me. After about 10 minutes I get a headache and it feels like my head is in a vice. After 30 I sometimes start feeling sick, depending on the severity of the noise.

ill answer this just because it looks like fun. im 29 btw. moving on:

1. yes. we owned one before touch phones became the standard. you used to hate people with alot of 0's in their number because it took the longest to dial, lol.

2. i didnt have internet 11 years ago, and my first computer was a old compaq presario with a dial up modem. 

3. Desert Storm was the first crisis i remember. i used to cut out news articles because of all the cool tanks and stuff they had in the pictures. 

4. yep, we had an old tv that sat on the floor. was like 15 inch with a huge wooden case around it. 

5. sorry, cant help you there. was out of school by 2002

6. my pops wont carry a cellphone. hes tried, but he finds it useless. my mum just started using one more often. shes into texting now, lol. i still dont have a touch phone. 

7. yes and yes. i remember using an old Apple back in grade school, playing Oregan Trail and that one text game where you drove a truck. had to swap to the big black discs whenever you wanted to change games. def remember the 3.5 discs too, as i had piles of them for storing files when i first got a computer. 

8. yesterday. forgot the number to the local chinese place. mmmm pork fried rice.

9. thats a tough one. i watched winnie the pooh and G1 transformers back in the day. i think my true first love was the classic looney toons cartoons, and tiny toons. 

10. i rarely think anything looks dated. i like cars that still use old technology such as leaf springs and carberators, so dated doesnt really apply to me. its not dated, its vintage. 

• Brohoof 1

I am 14 and my answers are as follows

Yes I do know how to use one of those, and no I have never used one.

2. Did you have an early part in your life without Internet access?
Parents disallowing it because you were too young doesn't count.

Yes I have had internet access all of my life.

I never cared about world crises until I was about 12 and even then I never paid any attention to them so I really can't say.

Yes we had one at one point in time, I believe it is rotting in some landfill now.

5. Can you tell me what it's like to read about Saddam Hussein, Bill
Clinton, the reunification of Germany, 9/11, and Hurricane Katrina in
history textbooks?

What it's like as in how do I feel? Well if so I never felt any emotion over it I mean bad things happened can't really say anything more than that.

6. Do you or does anybody in your family refuse to carry a cell
phone? Again, parents disallowing it because you were too young doesn't
count.

No.

7. Do you remember old school 5 1/4 inch floppy disks for computers?
Maybe you're so young you don't even remember the 3.5 inch disks that
were discontinued just a few years ago?

Yes I do in fact there are VHS tapes some where in my house with footage of me playing with floppy disks as a very young kid I just liked to flop them around as a kid.

Never had a number to look up as I just wrote them on paper after a friend told me theirs.

9. What was the first cartoon you fell in love with? Don't say
MLP:FiM. You're all supposed to be at least 13 so I know you have a
well-liked cartoon from before that.  :P

I believe it was Pokemon but I'm not 100% sure.

Depends on the cartoon and what your opinions is on '60s cartoons are but I guess alot do look really dated.

Edited by Dasher

I'm 16, so you could say I'm very young but I've been raised like a last gen kid (My mom had me when she was 40).  This means I'm very retro.

I used one once I think about two years ago and my reaction was ''How the *beep* am I supposed to use this?'' I got help to do it properly xD

Yes, when I was very young we didn't have any access to the internet and even when we did, it was really slow.  Now it's okay though.

The one in 1929.  There's nothing bigger than that.  Or perhaps you mean that we actually remember and lived through?  I would have loved to say the verglas crisis but I was only 3 when that happened.  The last one I do remember would be the 2008 economic crisis.

Yes, we had one.  Though we couldn't really watch TV on it and we just played video games with it.

EDIT:  I realize we have members all over the world.  Feel free to cite whatever the latest history you saw in your school books was. 

The most recent things in the books are things like the creation of the Nunavut and things like that.  It's kind of funny to know that my parents aren't really familiar with the new territory yet :P

I don't want a cellphone, I think it's useless, that and things like iphones and ipads

I remember using floppy discs but I couldn't tell you which ones it was...  They seemed old though...

Last month maybe...  Do you mean there's an alternative to this?

9. What was the first cartoon you fell in love with? Don't say MLP:FiM. You're all supposed to be at least 13 so I know you have a well-liked cartoon from before that.   :P

Pokemon of course!  I would watch TV all day when I was four years old and this and Digimon were my all time favorite TV shows.

I love cartoons from the 80s even if I do prefer cartoons from the 90s.  My favorite cartoon (Rémi sans famille where I live) is from the 80s so you could say I love oldies.

Edited by notdog1996

1. Yes i believe i do know how to use one, i've never used on though.

2. I recall getting internet when i was younger, with my father owning a computer business we got it quite early on.

3. September 11, i remember my mother pulling me out of school when news hit,  she believed that it would spark a world war.

4. My parents never had an old fashion TV in my recall-able memory, the only TV i recall before our current one was a large black widescreen thing with a massive thick back, but i know my great-grandmother did as i played with it whenever i visited at a young age. 

5. I did History in Secondary School, we learnt about different parts of history such as medicine throughout history, the roman empire  etc. My favorite portion of our history lessons was learning about the American West.

6. Everyone in my family carries a mobile phone, even my grandparents have iphones.

7. I remember the 3.5 inch ones, i did see some of my dad's old computers with the drives for 5 1/4 ones though.

8. I never use Yellow Pages, i rarely look up numbers anyway.

9. Fosters home for imaginary friends/Edd ed and eddy/Kids next door/Spongebob Square pants/Recess.

10. Yep :P

I am 18 years old (3 months until im 19), was born in 1994.

I'm pretty sure i know how to use one, but i have never actually dialed one. I belive my aunt had one in her house and i remember playing with it but not actually seriously dialling and using it.

I remember the first computer i used was my family's Packard Bell (1996) and my first personal

computer was a Windows 95 laptop(with a Super Mario 64 Wallpaper <3). I cant say i remember using the Internet too much untill about 2000-2003.(i may have first tried it in 1999 but i am unsure) I remember how slow American Online Dial-Up was and how much of a Night and Day difference it was when my family switched to high speed in around 2003-2004.

Yes September 11th is the first i can remember. I remember everyone being sent home early that day from school (i was in 2nd Grade). I remember how strange it was to randomly go home early that day. I can remember my mother turning on the News and seeing the image of the twin towers on fire. I remember how it looked like something unreal and movie-like. It actually was pretty scary, especially since I live on Long Island, New York. Which is not very far from NYC. It was scary to think something like that was happening only 2 hours away from me!

In my immediate family I can only remember big black CRT's and nothing else much further. I feel like i may have spotted one in my grandparents old home they used to live in. But not 100% sure.

history textbooks?

I dont really remember too much of Saddam Hussein and Bill Clinton or the reunification of Gemany but reading about 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina invokes memories since i remember hearing about them when the happened.

count.

No i don’t know anyone in my family who refuses to use cellphones. The first cellphone i got was in the 7th grade (was my sister's) and before that i don’t remember being disallowed just not having one, i didnt really care since i didnt see a use for one then.

I can remember in elementary school they had them in the containers somewhere and i remember my grandfather's computer having them on the side. I don’t remember what size they were but they were probably 3.5" so i don’t remember the 5 1/4ths. I cant say i remember actually using one though. Not until last year in my computer class. I do now own a Famicom and Famicom Disk System that uses a modified 3.0" floppy i believe for its disk media.

Never honestly, i may have looked at them when i was bored but never actually looking up any phone numbers.

Spongebob Squarepants is the first i went crazy over. My nickname in school was Spongebob after all

so you can imagine how much of a fan i was with my shirts, folders, and drawings of Spongebob. I liked Cat-Dog and Rugrats before that too but i don’t remember being obsessive with them like i was with Spongebob.

They dont feel honestly that dated to me, i never really cared how old something was just if it was enjoyable or not.

Edited by superponylinux

Well here's some answers from my 34 year old perspective:

Yes, but even I've never had one in the house.  That is, unless you count this:

$%28KGrHqN,!h8FB1,7k,58BQju2-GL!g~~60_35

My grandparents place in Korea had an antique style one, which was the last one I used in 1999.

I never had the internet until college.  My high school didn't set anything up until the year after I graduated.  Hell, as a freshman I remember it was a big deal when my friend got a 14.4k modem.

Me?  When Korean Air Lines flight 007 was shot down by Russian fighter jets in 1983.  I was 5 back then.  Yes, a civilian passenger airliner was *shot down* by the soviets who thought it was a spy plane.  RIght in the thick of the Cold War 1980s.  Big international incident, even more important for my family because we're Korean and used KAL as the only way to get to Korea at the time- and in fact took the exact same route as the fated airliner. 

Yes we did, and I have a helluva lot of memories with my NES hooked up to it.  Anyone remember twin wire connections like this?

figure-4-web.jpg?w=300

Yeah, they were a pain in the ass.

history textbooks?

Nope to the latter 2; there *might* have been something about the first Gulf War or the fall of the Berlin Wall on maybe the *last* chapter of my senior year American History textbook, but I can't be sure.

count.

No.  We're Koreans.  It's impossible for Koreans to not have a cell phone.

Hell yes.  Our family's first computer was an Apple IIc.  In school we had a Commodore 64 which used *cassette tapes*.

I really don't know.  Certainly years.

I watched a lot of cartoons back in the day, but if I had to pick a favorite it was probably the original Transformers.

I think I'm the wrong person for that question. :D

There are some bad ones from the 80s that always look worse than I remember them.  But then there's some that still hold up well, like Ducktales or Disney's Gummi Bears.  And then there's this:

Good GOD that still looks amazing, especially in HD.

As an older member in the forum I put together a questionnaire that will help compare and contrast the worldview people in different age groups have. Everybody is welcome to participate but, as you will see, answers will differ greatly from those well over 20.  EDIT:  Unfortunately, I can't change the title to "10 Questions for Members who are 20 and under (or older)."  :/

EDIT:  I realize we have members all over the world.  Feel free to cite whatever the latest history you saw in your school books was. 

9. What was the first cartoon you fell in love with? Don't say MLP:FiM. You're all supposed to be at least 13 so I know you have a well-liked cartoon from before that.  :P

1) Yes, quite a few years back.

2) Not really. I never bothered with the Internet, so it didn't affect me.

3) Does Y2K count? :P

4) I don't think we ever did.

5) Not much of a history buff, to be honest. I hated history classes. If I had a real curiosity, I would look it up myself from varied sources, not just my school textbook.

6) Nope.

7) Yep.

8) About two days ago.

9) I never really watched many cartoons. I suppose Bugs Bunny has to be the classic that got me into cartoons in the first place.

10) That's pretty subjective - I have no idea how you view the 60's cartoons. XD