Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

10 Questions for Members who are 20 and under(or older)

Wingnut

(edited)
On 21.1.2013 at 4:53 PM, Wingnut said:

1. Do you know how to use a rotary phone and have you ever dialed one? If so, how long ago?

2. Did you have an early part in your life without Internet access? Parents disallowing it because you were too young doesn't count.

3. What is the earliest national or world crisis you have a first hand memory of? Most of you will probably say September 11.

4. Can you recall if your family had an old-fashioned TV with dials on it?

5. Can you tell me what it's like to read about Saddam Hussein, Bill Clinton, the reunification of Germany, 9/11, and Hurricane Katrina in history textbooks?

EDIT:  I realize we have members all over the world.  Feel free to cite whatever the latest history you saw in your school books was. 

6. Do you or does anybody in your family refuse to carry a cell phone? Again, parents disallowing it because you were too young doesn't count.

7. Do you remember old school 5 1/4 inch floppy disks for computers? Maybe you're so young you don't even remember the 3.5 inch disks that were discontinued just a few years ago?

8. When was the last time you used the Yellow Pages to look up a phone number?

9. What was the first cartoon you fell in love with? Don't say MLP:FiM. You're all supposed to be at least 13 so I know you have a well-liked cartoon from before that.  :P

10. Do cartoons from the 1980s look and sound as dated to you as cartoons from the '60s appear to me?

(Turning 20 this year)

1. Yes I know how to use one, but have never dialed one.
2. Yes, it took quite a while before we got our first internet access
3.  I don't really remember what I saw in the news and what I have watched in documentaries.
4. Yes
5. I remember only reading about the reunification of Germany, and besides the joy of learning history, it was nothing special. (Wait, Hurricane Katrina is in history textbooks now?, I feel old.)
6. no.
7. yes, I do remember them, and we even have some of them still, and a computer that can read them.
8. I never used them look numbers because my parents always wrote down all the numbers, but i was 9-11 years old when they last used one, don't remember exactly.
9. Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner, and Tom & Jerry
10. I don't think them as dated,and in many cases I would say they are better and "more fresh" than modern ones. 

Edited by Pvt. Cerberus

1. Yes, Yes, 14 years ago.

2. Yes. Internet was around but we just didn't have it at the time.

3. Hurricane Katrina. My mom hated how the tragedy of 9/11 was covered, and she didn't want me exposed to such things so we didn't allow news in the house, but when Katrina hit, my class put together little care packages to send over.

4. None like that. Maybe my grandmother's had a dial while my mom was still a child, but my grandmother shot it so television wasn't viewed in the home much after that.

5. It makes you feel old sometimes, but to be fair a whole generation of people have nearly passed, so now I keep an eye out for the current events that will find themselves in textsbooks one day.

6. No. The cellphone has become essential to everyday life just about, and it's hard enough not having a smart phone or 3g coverage. The only people I think might not carry a cellphone in my family are my step-great grand parents who have been retired all of my life.

7. I remember the 3.5. They were still heavily used when I was a kid however I've personally never used one.

8. Last time would have been to look up my mother's phone number, and I already knew it, I just wanted to see it in there. We stopped receiving them around 2009 I think, and I just used them as targets for my BB gun anyways.

9. I think Sesame Street or Winnie the Pooh, but I have a fondness for Zoboomafoo.

10. Probably. I watched a lot of 80's reruns as a kid, but the original Scooby Doo episodes stick out to me the most, then again those are from the 70's.

(edited)

I'm 14, so I qualify to play this game of yours. :P 

1. I have never used an actual rotary phone before. I know how to use it, though, since my parents have taught me. I would love to get my hands on it one day! :D 
  2. Nope, we Generation Z's grew up with it. And as you said, parents disallowing it doesn't count!
  3. I would have to go with the major earthquakes that happened in Japan in 2011. I don't really have much memory of anything from before that.
  4. I still have em', just stowed away somewhere. We don't use it. :twi:
  5. We read about the power outage of 2003 in Toronto on one of our history books, that was a few months before I was born so I found it pretty interesting to read.
  6. No, my entire family pretty much all have our cell phones with us. We do prefer actual calling rather than texting though.
  7. I don't remember nor have seen one in my life, it was ahead of my time by a little. But again, I would want one! :lol: 
  8. Never. I have never used YP.
  9. Doraemon was and still is one of my favourite cartoons ever. :squee: 
  10. Probably. :nom: 
Edited by Wannabrony
Clarification

On 1/21/2013 at 9:53 AM, Wingnut said:

As an older member in the forum I put together a questionnaire that will help compare and contrast the worldview people in different age groups have. Everybody is welcome to participate but, as you will see, answers will differ greatly from those well over 20.  EDIT:  Unfortunately, I can't change the title to "10 Questions for Members who are 20 and under (or older)."  :/

1. Do you know how to use a rotary phone and have you ever dialed one? If so, how long ago?

2. Did you have an early part in your life without Internet access? Parents disallowing it because you were too young doesn't count.

3. What is the earliest national or world crisis you have a first hand memory of? Most of you will probably say September 11.

5. Can you tell me what it's like to read about Saddam Hussein, Bill Clinton, the reunification of Germany, 9/11, and Hurricane Katrina in history textbooks?

EDIT:  I realize we have members all over the world.  Feel free to cite whatever the latest history you saw in your school books was. 

6. Do you or does anybody in your family refuse to carry a cell phone? Again, parents disallowing it because you were too young doesn't count.

7. Do you remember old school 5 1/4 inch floppy disks for computers? Maybe you're so young you don't even remember the 3.5 inch disks that were discontinued just a few years ago?

9. What was the first cartoon you fell in love with? Don't say MLP:FiM. You're all supposed to be at least 13 so I know you have a well-liked cartoon from before that.  :P

10. Do cartoons from the 1980s look and sound as dated to you as cartoons from the '60s appear to me?

1. Yes, the upstairs phone at our house is rotary dial. Used it last about 6 months ago.

2. Yes, we didn't get internet until I was 10. I lived on YouTube for the months following, and haven't really stopped.

3. National crisis. If Dale Earnhardt Sr's fatal crash counts then that would be it. If not, I don't really remember 9/11 and don't remember anything else until Katrina.

4. Yes. Dial TV is what I played PS2 on for YEARS. Until about 2014 to be exact. Even played my PS3, Xbox 360, and PS4 on it too for that matter. It's a pain getting an HDMI to connect to a dial tv.

5. Most recent historical event I remember reading about in a textbook was the end of The Cold War. Southern Illinois has dated textbooks though, so don't base my age on that.

6. No, but my uncle refuses to get a smartphone.

7. Absolutely, me and my cousins played Asteroids on a 5 1/2 floppy. We are an old school family in an old school area.

8. Last time me and my grandpa worked together on an auction. Has to have been 2 1/2 years.

9. Top Cat. Again, old school. Modern cartoon, Martha Speaks. Which coincidentally, stars Tabitha St. Germain, and few others from MLP, including Matt Hill (Soarin) among others.

10. I think cartoons are timeless. I'm often surprised at how old some are. Bambi was made during World War II for crying out loud.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
On 1/21/2013 at 10:53 AM, Wingnut said:

As an older member in the forum I put together a questionnaire that will help compare and contrast the worldview people in different age groups have. Everybody is welcome to participate but, as you will see, answers will differ greatly from those well over 20.  EDIT:  Unfortunately, I can't change the title to "10 Questions for Members who are 20 and under (or older)."  :/

1. Nope. And the only one I've ever "dialed" was an old toy rotary phone I used to play with back when I was about 4 or 5. I have no idea how to dial a real one. :P

2. Yep, about the first 5 years of my life my family didn't have internet. I can still remember how different things were without it, in fact things just seemed...better. 

3. Hurricane Katrina I think? I was only a baby during 9/11 so I wouldn't remember it, thank God. 

4. I don't think we did....actually I'm not sure. I remember we had a reallyyy old looking tv back in like...I wanna say 2003. I can't remember if it had dials or not. 

5. I've never really read about them surprisingly. 

6. Nah my entire family has one including myself. Except my Grandma. She REFUSES. I remember my parents finally got cellphones back in 2005 or 2006 I wanna say, and they both got smartphones around 2010. I didn't get my first phone until just a couple years ago. :P 

7.  I've been homeschooled my entire life so I wouldn't know. :P

8. Sheesh, must've been YEARS ago. 

9. The Wacky Adventures of Ronald McDonald. :lol: I especially loved this one: IMG_2575.JPG.3343f7b384a76a09eafd9bdec35af5d6.JPG I was crazy about this series, I must've been about 3. I remember watching it on home video at my Grandma's house all the time, and if I remember right I think I used to sit in a high chair and eat dinner while watching it too. :lol: Oh the wonderful memories. :')

10. Eh, not really. I used to watch 80s cartoons with my dad a lot when I was a bit younger. There are still a couple channels that play them. 

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

On 21/1/2013 at 8:53 AM, Wingnut said:

1. Nope,I have never used one.I have one in my house though,but it's broken.

2. Yes,and it's because we thought having internet was gonna cost 200 dollars lel.We didnt have any internet up until 2012/2013 ish and it was the infamous Ethernet.Finally switched to Wi-Fi last year.

3.9/11 

4. Yeah,it had dials on it.But I don't think it was that old tbh.It had a built in DVD,VCR,and CD player,it was soo cool.

5.boring.School in general is boring

6.Nah

7.I know what a Floppy disk is along with other technology used in the 80s and 90s but like most of them,I've never used it.

8.About 8 years ago.It was when my family used to order from Dominos Pizza,which we havent ordered from them in a looooooooong time.

9.Toad Patrol

10. they don't seem that dated to me.I like the cartoons from the 1980s way better than the Cartoons nowadays.

*cough* Teenage mutant ninja turtles *cough*

• 1 year later...

1. I know how, but I'm uncertain if I could actually do it when I needed to :pout:
2. I don't think so, but we only had dial-up for the first few years of my using a computer
3. My mom was real into sheltering so I have no memory of 9/11 (i was 5 at the time). The oldest I can think of is when that space shuttle crashed in 2003
4. Nope, but we did have a big square one
5. I've never read about them in a textbook but I didn't go to school so
6. My mom did for a long long time but got one recently
7. floppy disk is a funny name lol
8. Sometime in the early-mid 2000s i think. Not that I needed to very often
9. probably clifford the big red dog haha
10. I think anything pre-2000 looks ancient lol

1. I've seen them used and one of my friends had one, but I haven't seen one since elementary school.

2. As far as I can remember we've had internet for my whole life. Or at least, most of my life.

3. I don't think I was really old enough to understand stuff like that until the Virginia Tech shooting in 2007. That's less than an hour away from where I live, so even at a young age it was scary.

4. I'm pretty sure we did. It was an old thing with a wooden frame.

5. Learning about history is definitely strange. It also makes me wonder why people were so stupid back then, but then I look around and realize not that much has actually changed.

6. Everyone in my immediate family has a cellphone, but I think my grandpa on my mom's side still only has a landline. He doesn't even have WiFi.

7. Yeah, we had a bunch for our old computer. The thing still works somehow, though the original PSU crapped out and my parents decided to just zip-tie a new one to the outside of the case. I remember I thought 40GB was a massive amount of storage back when we got it, since the ancient machine it replaced only had about 8 if I'm remembering right.

8. Early middle school I think. I used it to find the phone numbers of my friends.

9. I think it was Max & Ruby. I loved watching that show as a kid. There was another one I loved set in China or someplace with cats as the main characters, but I don't remember its name.

10. 80's animation isn't great, but I still like the '73 Robin Hood movie.

(edited)

19 years old here

1. Do you know how to use a rotary phone and have you ever dialed one? If so, how long ago?

never seen one irl

I first started using the internet when I was 6.

Global financial crisis of 2008.

nup

5. Can you tell me what it's like to read about Saddam Hussein, Bill Clinton, the reunification of Germany, 9/11, and Hurricane Katrina in history textbooks? (EDIT:  I realize we have members all over the world.  Feel free to cite whatever the latest history you saw in your school books was.)

High school history (at least in Australia) is very post-revisionist. Rather than being told what happened, we're told to question every historical source, no matter how much validity or reliability it may have. We view history from a historiographical lens. 

For example, I learnt about the Weimar Republic and pre-WWII Germany (1918 - 1939) and Hitler's rise to power. Rather than being taught a narrative of what happened and how Hitler came to power, we took a more historiographical approach and looked at the two schools of thought: intentionalist and structuralist. The intentionalist historians argue that Hitler planned most of what he had done to become Chancellor in 1933, and that after 1933 and into WWII Hitler still maintained most of his executive power in the NSDAP. These historians see the NSDAP as being managed as a typical pyramid hierarchy with Hitler at the top and his advisors below him. Structuralist historians on the other hand state that Hitler was barely a leader, instead maintaining that he was simply the charismatic spokesman of the party. They view the NSDAP as being run by the advisors (Goering, Himmler, Goebbels, etc.) with Hitler having little to no executive power. We then compare and contrast each school to reach a more balanced and accurate understanding of what happened.

So reading about history nowadays is more about critical thinking and post-revisionism. 

My grandma doesn't carry a phone because she says she can't figure out how to use it. 

never seen one irl

never

9. What was the first cartoon you fell in love with? Don't say MLP:FiM. You're all supposed to be at least 13 so I know you have a well-liked cartoon from before that.  

Sailor Moon.

ye 1980s cartoons look pretty old, but 1960s cartoons look ancient

Edited by mini
  • Brohoof 1

1. I think I tried using one as a kid, but it freaked me out on why it didn't work
  2. We had computer games, but I didn't really use the Internet at all until I was in school
  3. Nothing on the top of my head, I live in a fairly safe country
  4. I think our first TV had them
  5. Don't know much about history :sealed:
  6. It wasn't forbidden to use phones in my family, but I didn't get my first one until I was 13. And even then it was just a cellphone
  7. Never used them
  8. Must've been a year ago, I think
  9. Blues Clues for life
  10. Yes, yes they do. They're cheesy as all get out.
  • Brohoof 1

First of all, I'm 21 (I think that is important to mention given the title of this topic :P).

1. I know how to use them and I've dialed before. I was about 5-7 years old though~
2. Yes. Until I was around 10-11 years old, we had no Internet access whatsoever at home.
3. The earliest one I can remember (probably) is the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami. But the earliest "crisis" I remember very well was the disappearance of Maddie McCann in 2007. I was too young to remember or understand 9/11 when it happened (I was 3).
4. Honestly, I have never seen an old-fashioned TV in my life.
5. In our school history books (I'm European), I don't remember reading about Saddam Hussein, Bill Clinton or hurricane Katrina (I know what they are, but I wasn't told about them at school necessarily). I have nothing to say about this though, they're important moments and people in history, they're bound to be remembered and taught about. The latest years I remember being mentioned in our history books were the end of the 2000s and beginning of 2010s.
6. I don't know anyone who doesn't have a cell phone. I know people who refuse to use it daily or have apps that keep them connected to the device (like Facebook, Twitter and all that).
7. I remember floppy disks, even the bigger ones, I still have some in my room for some reason... I never used them but my father did.
8. Never used the Yellow Pages, but I did read the thing when I got bored at a café my mother used to take my brother and I to.
9. I don't remember the "first" one, but it was probably a Disney cartoon like the series of Lilo & Stitch/Kim Possible/Recess, etc.
10. Sometimes, depends on the cartoon itself. Ducktales and Inspector Gadget are two I still enjoy to this day. But TMNT, Transformers, He-man, etc. feel quite dated to me.

On 1/21/2013 at 8:53 AM, Wingnut said:

1) Yes, I have used one before. Granted it was at least 25 years ago so been a while.

2) Absolutely. Spent the first twelve years of life without any form of connectivity. But I got online way back in 1996.

3) I was still fairly young but I remember the fall of the Berlin Wall in the early 90s.

4) My nuclear family did not but my great-grandma did for a long time.

5) Not at all. By the time those happened, I was either out of school or it was too recent to be in a history textbook. I did have some events as recent as the 70s in books however.

6) The older generations like grandparents mainly. Otherwise, everyone's got one.

7) Sure do. I remember popping those bad boys in to play some Oregon Trail in elementary school. Matter of fact, I still collect games released in that format.

8) Been a while. But probably in the early 2000s a few times.

9) Tough call. Liked quite a few, but the one that stands out is the 80s/90s Ninja Turtles cartoons. My brother and I could never get enough.

10) No. I still love the same cartoons now as I did when growing up. Even stuff from the 60s and 70s are still fun to watch.

I’ve used them many times. Not recently but when I was younger, probably in the ‘90s. It doesn’t seem like it should be so far back.

I don’t think I had internet until I was around six years old. It may have been around but we didn’t have it at my house for a while and didn’t need it.

I guess probably 9/11. I don’t watch the news or world events, especially the bad stuff so there may have been other things but 9/11 is the one that stands out from an early age.

Yes we did. I even had one of my own when I was little. Mine was a 14” b&w set with vhf and uhf dials, an on/off  button and a retractable antenna. The family TV was similar except that it was color and 25” (one of those big box-like things that looks like faux wood furniture).

I don’t read about them in textbooks. I hear about that stuff mostly from AHC and other history-based channels. I’d rather watch inaccurate TV shows than read inaccurate textbooks.

I refuse to carry one unless it’s absolutely necessary, like if I’m going to be traveling someplace far away or in a bad area. I never use them for socializing and I don’t like talking on a phone in any case.

My first computer used them. It was a crappy old Compaq and I put a whole book on them; one chapter per floppy disk, and still have them wrapped in a rubber band collecting dust in my desk.

Whenever I need a business number I use the Yellow Pages. Trying to find a phone number online is a pain, especially if you use one of those so-called ‘free’ phone directories.

9. What was the first cartoon you fell in love with? Don't say MLP:FiM. You're all supposed to be at least 13 so I know you have a well-liked cartoon from before that.   

Tiny Toon Adventures. And it’s still my favorite.

I’d call them stylistically different rather than dated. They just don’t seem all that old because a lot of them are timeless. Consider the Looney tunes and Merrie Melodies. They were made from the ‘30s through the ‘70s and they don’t seem dated to me at all.

1. Yes, I have. Maybe 14 years ago or so. We had a rotary phone back when I was growing up. I only used it once, to call 911. (No emergency, I was just bored and wanted someone to talk to.)

2. Cap'n, I didn't have internet access until I was 16 years old. And I had to fight for it. My parents were super over-protective.

3. Yeah, Sep 11. My mom took all of us kids into her room and explained what happened. I was like... what, three? So I didn't really get it.

4. Yes, we had two. The first one was in the living room, the second was in the room I shared with my brother. We didn't know how to use it though, and I don't remember if it was even plugged in. xD

5. Uh... I can't. Mostly because most of that happened while I was still alive, so. :v

6. Nope. I'm pretty sure everyone in my family carries one.

7. I very vaguely remember floppy disks. I remember working on a home computer and finding one that my dad quickly took because there was some super important stuff on it, but outside of that, the disks I'm most familiar with are the 3.5 inch ones.

8. Never. Like I said, I only ever dialed one number. x3

9. Liberty's Kids. It's a kid's show about the American Revolution, and looking back on it, it's actually very in-depth. Watching the show actually teaches you better (and faster) than taking a history class about it. But there's enough happening to keep a kid's attention. A nice balance between education and action, imo.

10. Ehm... probably? Not really sure, I didn't watch too many cartoons growing up. Mostly old western movies. John Wayne, Gene Autry, Roy Rodgers, that sort of thing. :p