Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I Keep Missing My Chance!

Jack Durango

Background story (no you read it):

So, it's always great to meet bronies in real life, right? Part of the experience. I have a great brony friend, another one who watches the show from time time but isn't that much of a brony, one who I got to watch the first two episodes but honestly didn't care for it (he's not a hater, though, thank goodness), and my other friends know I watch it but they don't.

I recently found another guy who's a fan of the show at my school. It's great; right off the bat, me and him are already talking about Fluttershy and best pony and Foil Scootaloos. He knows my great brony friend (honestly, though, a lot of people know that guy). I heard him talking about it to a former classmate who, in my previous school year, claimed the show was for "special" people, except he doesn't seem to be acting that way now. So, anyway, I hear the newly discovered brony talking, and I lean over and say "...Y'all talkin' bout My Little Pony?" Boom. Instant brohoof. Alright!

But now...I'm starting to see more of it. I overhear people near me talking about it, and for whatever reason, I can't bring myself to say it again: "Y'all talkin' bout My Little Pony?" I want to connect with these people, at least say "Hi" to them or something, let them know I'm a fan too, but I don't quite know how to go about it with total strangers.

There are signs of MLP's presence at my school, though not much. There's a drawing of my Freshman Biology teacher, ponified, tacked to his classroom's ceiling (although I don't think he knows what it is.) Like I said, I overhear discussions of it. And actually, I see people walking around with not pony merchandise, but rather Adventure Time backpacks and caps, so I know it's not a school whose students are afraid to express themselves. No one has openly worn any pony merchandise, at least as far as I've seen, save for the great friend who wears a tiny, barely noticeable Fluttershy pin on his backpack. I want to be the first...but that depends on if I can find a shirt I like. B)

Anyways, to make a long-winded post short, what's the best way to connect or at least say "Howdy-do" to unknown but fellow fans of the show?

Walk over to em and say "*insert pony name here* is best pony".  umad:

If I ran into anyone that liked it that is probably what I'd do, though I have a feeling they would notice me first because of merch. Either my Rainbow Dash belt buckle I always wear or a shirt if I'm wearing one that day. 

• Brohoof 1

You should say to the people you suspect are bronies "Hey, I really like your mane," to see if they get the reference or not. I'm betting most bronies would get that.

Brilliant!

Though if someone came up to me and said that I would be so confused that by the time it clicked they would have walked off thinking they broke me. I'm not good at picking up on random references like that, which is odd because I do it to people all the time like DiNozzo from NCIS.

I've always been a fan of this (extremely contrived and slightly edited) usage example for 'Brony' in the Urban Dictionary.

Brony 1: Who's your favorite pony? 
Brony 2: Fluttershy, cause she's just so cute! 
Brony 3: Hey man, those are fighting words. Rarity is obviously best pony! 
Brony 2: What're you going to do about it? 
Brony 3: I'm gonna love and tolerate the s*** outta you!
*hugs*

I wish that one day I'll stumble across some other Brony who has read it and we'll spontaneously pull it off in a bar or something, make people think we're about to fight, hug instead, then buy a couple rounds and compare notes on our favourite pony content. That would be so awesome! Just a simple little dream :)

Oh, and show references. Just to let them know they can count you among their numbers. Then let things progress naturally from there.  

Edited by decoherence

Here's a step-by-step guide of how to find brony friends, straight off my keyboard:

Step 1: Looks for any signs of MLP: FiM on them, and if they may or may not be a fan of the show.

Step 2: Use references on them, "No pony is best pony" is a good one because if they aren't, they probably won't pick up on it.

Step 3: If they follow through with the references, congratulations. You have found a fellow brony / pegasister!

Step 4: You'll probably want to know how much of a brony they are, good questions would be what episodes they've seen, which pony is their favourite, and if they're involved in communities like this.

Step 5: ?????

Step 6: Profit.

Step 7: Refer to step 5.

Step 8: In all seriousness, you've just made another brony friend! Huzzah! The rest of the stuff you'll probably find relatively easy, so I wouldn't worry about all the stuff that will come next; it all varies from person to person.

• Brohoof 1

This is a hard on for me to give advice on.

I have meet only a few bronies ou there. I guess if you want to talk to them then you should. Mos of the times when you meet other bronies I becomes a pleasant moment.

This is a hard on for me to give advice on... I becomes a pleasant moment.

:blink: When grammar becomes a necessity.

Thanks, whoever replied. See, the thing is, I already know they're bronies (or pegasisters, in some cases); I'm just not sure how ready they are to meet a fellow brony, especially an older-looking, neckbearded one like me.

:blink: When grammar becomes a necessity.

Thanks, whoever replied. See, the thing is, I already know they're bronies (or pegasisters, in some cases); I'm just not sure how ready they are to meet a fellow brony, especially an older-looking, neckbearded one like me.

Drop references, let them know you're a brony, then the ball is in their court.

If you overhear something you have a comment on, then politely interject with something like "I couldn't help but overhear you like woonastuck. Have you seen Egophiliac's new comic about the Cakes?" for example. Situations are fluid. Wait for the right opportunity, when you have something to contribute (unless you just wanna say 'you like ponies? i like ponies too!' but that's not really much of a conversation starter, eh? or maybe it is, depending on the people.) Anyway, don't think you have to force or rush it. If you're friendly, maybe they'll want to be your friend. Don't get too fussed about it one way or the other :)

Edited by decoherence

either ill be wearing some sort of pony merch (obvious or hidden), ill just point to it and be like-

"OMG ur a brony omg brohoof me pinkie is best pony"

....er, or ar least what i would do if i did meet another brony. There is literally zero presence of any pony in my school, and when people do notice i like mlp and ask about, ill just respond with a "yea, its a great show." no discussion, but no hate either.