Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you want to see in G5 ponies?

Phoenix237

I'm not sure I'd be at all interested in G5, if it comes to pass.
I was introduced to the show during G4, and I'm not sure how well I'd handle a fundamental change, like a new set of main characters.  Of course, we'll have to wait and see, but I get the feeling that when G4 gets wrapped up, I'll be done watching the show.  'Course, I'll keep working on my various fan projects, either way.  Got about a million unfinished fimfics to attend to!

• 4 months later...
(edited)

Well, there are two ways I could see a potential G5 going. Either Hasbro decides to play it safe and reboot G4, akin to the way Transformers and Star Trek have, with a "start over from the beginning" philosophy. (To those saying G5 should be a continuation of G4, the problem with your logic is that it would still pretty much be G4, even if the art style and toys change.) If that happened, I guess I'd give it a shot, but it would likely have an even harder time living up to FIM than the other option. Still, I know there are some episodes and storylines I'd be interested in seeing if they could improve with a second go-through. (Or in the case of KCAFO, erased entirely.)

The other option would be for them to introduce a whole new setting with new characters. This would arguably be just as risky, but would be a smart move in at least one regard, as it would make it harder for people to critisize it simply through comparison to FIM. (For Tropers, see They Changed It, Now It Sucks and It's The Same, Now It Sucks) On the other hand, the disadvantage is that without being able to lean on FIM as heavily, it would need to be able to stand up in it's own right. Either way, it's going to be a hard sell.

Still, I personally hope this is what they go with, as it would open things up considerably, give them a chance to experiment and try out some ideas or themes that simply wouldn't go in FIM. This could be good or bad, but if it's good, it could be really good.

Thematically speaking, I'd hope for much the same as FIM; not being as simple-minded as G3 and 3.5, but neither would I want it to go all edgy and grimdark. I wouldn't mind if they perhaps allowed themselves to go a bit darker, (Think Disney) as it could allow for some more complex conflicts and characterizations, but I definitely don't want to see my little ponies going anywhere near some of the stuff like Warhammer 40K or whatever. Just... no.

Visually, I'd like to see something more akin to some of the classic disney films; more detail, more cinematic presentation, and more art-like. Of course that animation style had it's own flaws sometimes (watch nearly any 80's cartoon and you'd see what I mean) but that wouldn't have to be a problem if they pull it off right; keeping the good while disposing of the bad.

And if they do CGI or Anime, Celestia help me...

One other thing I'd like to see? Television Serials. While a single-episode-per-plot thing works sometimes, it just as often does not, especially when the episodes are only twenty minutes long. Either give MLP longer running times, or else spread the story out over the course of as many episodes as you need in order to tell the tale properly.

Edited by ColdGoldLazarus
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I would not mind a G5 if they did something akin to ST:TNG or Legend of Korra. A My Little Pony: The Next Generation set a good distance in the future could provide for decent storylines.

They could either make it only a few years in the future, where only some things have changed (likely after Twilight has completely ascended to replace Celestia as her heir), or they could go the Avatar or ST route and make it 100 to a thousand years into the future (could bring about some interesting technological developments)

One thing is for sure, the rating would probably have to be upped to TV Y-7. So far in the series, there have been scenes that, at least to me, edge dangerously close to a higher rating (changelings, king sombra, etc.), so instead of skirting around it all the time, give the show a little breathing room. Because of the strictness of a TV-Y rating, I find it difficult to believe they would be able to replicate the success that FiM had in a spinoff show like this. (the perfect example of what would be perfect in terms or rating, is the comics.)

Another thing, retain a good amount of talent. If not the same writers, bring in new but equally skilled writers to take this on. As much as many don't like EqG, they maintained the talent from FiM in order to ensure the product wasn't a complete catastrophe (as well as seemingly not giving it a rating, allowing for the possibility of higher action). Do the same for G5, otherwise you risk losing a lot of the popularity and quality MLP:FiM had.

Lastly, make it interesting. Lauren Faust originally intended to make FiM an adventure show, with the Mane Six going on missions against villains possibly even outside of Equestria. If handled correctly, this could make for a very intriguing show. They probably wouldn't serialize it completely, but continuity between episodes (which FiM has to a certain extent), as well as more exploration of the show's lore, could make it akin to something like Avatar or Gravity Falls. Also, coming up with a good overarching plotline like FiM would be a must.

The big point would be to give the people who work on the show plenty of room to create an intriguing storyline. I DO think it's possible to create an engaging sequel to G4 that's as clever and enjoyable, but Hasbro has to be willing to do the same thing they did for G4 when they asked Lauren Faust to work on it: let the writers handle it. And don't completely discount it either, MLP now has a huge following with kids and adults. Also, Hasbro hasn't ignored bronies, as they've given us comics and merch. Sure they've made missteps, but they've also embraced our demographic more than possibly any other company would have.

That's not to say that our demographic is what they should be aiming for explicitly, but instead go in with the intent of making it an all ages show.

TL; DR: It's possible to create a good G5. but Hasbro has to allow the writers to come up with their own storylines. The best way I can see it turning out, is if Hasbro were to bring in the talent from G4, and give them at least as much leeway as they gave the comics.

Edited by TheGr3ml1n
  • Brohoof 1

What is this sudden obsession over a thus far non-existent generation of My Little Pony?
Calm down! We aren't even done with G4 yet, and you people are already speculating about something that is likely not going to happen in the foreseeable future…

I think a Gen 5 continuation of Gen 4 could be excellent. Perhaps it could center around the next generation of Ponyville dwellers? The Mane 6 could make cameos, perhaps older and successful in their positions.

I'd hope that Hasbro would bring in people as talented as those they used to produce g4. I imagine gen 5 is a long way off, who knows what new talent will emerge by then? An appealing art style, stellar writing, brilliant voice acting, and a good score could put g5 in the same league as g4. If g5 is quality animated programming, then I'll be happy. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

it'd be awesome if it was an anime, also have the voice actresses reprise their roles. otherwise, i would like to see:

Colleen Clinkenbeerd as rarity and rainbow dash

Hynden Walch as Pinkie Pie

Grey DeLisle as Twilight Sparkle

Britanny Karbowski as Fluttershy

KIra-Vincent Davis as AppleJack

Edited by Dr. Leper Lupinstein

While it is super far away, I will most likely enjoy G5. G1 and G3 were both hugely flawed, and I still enjoy them a bit (yes, I watch the G1 shows and the G3 movies sometimes), so as long as G5 isn't anything like G3.5, I will find something to enjoy about it. Hopefully, the stories and writing will at least be better than G3's stories.

Stylistically, I wouldn't mind if they change how the ponies look, how it's animated, etc. if they do it right. CGI would most likely look bad, and an anime style would just feel wrong to me, because it would probably still have an Americanized feel to it. That's the one thing that puts me off about Avatar - the anime style has such an American feel to it (at least it does to me, and something about it rubs me the wrong way. No offense to any fans of Avatar, because I can totally see the appeal of it. I've just never been able to get past the style of it, so I've never really been able to enjoy it). However, with ponies already having anime-sized eyes, it has the potential to work. I personally would prefer something other than an anime style; something totally new. I think one of things I like about FiM so much is that the style seems like something that hasn't been done before.

It would be cool to continue FiM's universe in G5, with the mane six making cameos now and then. But I wouldn't be against a completely new universe, either. As long as it's ponies :)

I would really hope that they'd continue to make blind bags, and that they'd make them about the same size as the ones they make now. I love the blind bags - they're my favorite type of MLP merchandise to collect. So if they continued them for G5, you can bet Hasbro would have my money. And if they're the same size or thereabouts as the G4 ones, I can have epic G4/G5 crossover adventures when I play with them... I mean, whoops, I don't play with ponies... Oh look, a squirrel! *Grabs more blind bags and runs off*

I'm actually very much content with G4 as of now. I don't really want to see anymore generations just yet. 

But to contribute to the discussion, I'll something in here.

Space ponies, anyone?

Mmm, that could be interesting. Of course, it would likely lead to accusations of Recycled: In SPACE! but I'd still watch if I had reason to beleive they could pull it off well.

I would like the same animation style and have at least some major continuity with G4. I agree with most of the points you said: it should be a sequel but have its original idea. Another great example is Bioshock, Infinite its a "sequel/prequel" (I dont remember what year it takes place in terms of Bioshock 1 & 2) but its an original story and couple of easter eggs abd references toward the first two bioshock games.

With the success of G4, I know I'd give gen 5 a shot when it rolls around. 

Seems like I'm in the minority for preferring to see new characters, in a different art style in a different universe with different backstories in this hypothetical gen 5 of MLP. I'm not saying that I dislike FiM, it just makes more sense to me for a gen 5 of the show to be something different and distinguishable from the rest.

You know, I've kinda been having some ideas of how I'd personally make a gen 5. The art style would be more detailed and it would center around a family (or an extended family). Concepts relating to parenthood, family and community would be the first to be explored. The individuals in the family would be different enough to allow more room to explore the workings of the community as well as different relationships. For the latter, it would start mostly with relationships between the family with some external relationships hinted at before it extends to other kinds of relationships, roles where eventually things get serious more frequently like... natural disasters or ecological disturbances.

I personally hope that they don't change much. Maybe somewhere deep down I'm OK with the characters changing and the plot and the place changing. But for now no one's takin my Apple Jack away from me. But I do hope they don't take the setting out of Ponyville though.