Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Giving back to the brony community

So part of the reason that I became a brony was because I had just moved out my mum's house coz of abuse and I was going through a really rough time with school as well. I started joking about mlp and its what started my love of the show. I then just kept watching and my pain just left. I know where my life is going now because of the show and I feel like I have to give something back as thanks for all it has done for me.

Therein lies the problem I guess, I'm not creative in the slightest so art is basically off the table. Do you guys know anyway that I can show thanks by helping my fellow bronies and pegasisters?

Edited by Tank the Tortoise

It really comes down to where you think you can help. I know that almost every facet of brony community is being covered by someone who has the talent or the will to make an impact. I know plenty of people who try to reflect what they see in the community by blogging about it or running sites to highlight it but then again places like EQD overshadow a lot of those smaller sites and actions. But i still applaud anyone who creates sites or blogs about the amazing art or music we see. Just look to find something you can do well and take part in and see if there's a way that can help make the community that much more amazing and connected.  

• Brohoof 2

Just being a loyal and loving friend to other bronies is giving back to the brony community. Just because you are a brony doesn't mean you are obliged to contribute items like art and music to the community. Just talk with us, stay strong, and that's good enough for us, we aren't demanding anything from you and you shouldn't feel like you are :3

• Brohoof 2

It really comes down to where you think you can help. I know that almost every facet of brony community is being covered by someone who has the talent or the will to make an impact. I know plenty of people who try to reflect what they see in the community by blogging about it or running sites to highlight it but then again places like EQD overshadow a lot of those smaller sites and actions. But i still applaud anyone who creates sites or blogs about the amazing art or music we see. Just look to find something you can do well and take part in and see if there's a way that can help make the community that much more amazing and connected.  

thanks for the info. I love the music that bronies have been putting out and im interested in that so i was thinking i may look into it after what you said.

Just being a loyal and loving friend to other bronies is giving back to the brony community. Just because you are a brony doesn't mean you are obliged to contribute items like art and music to the community. Just talk with us, stay strong, and that's good enough for us, we aren't demanding anything from you and you shouldn't feel like you are :3

Just saying that wants me to help out others even more :P . If only everyone was more like people like you. This community is one of the things im most proud of and I guess i just want people to know that im helping and that im part of such a group of nice people!

• Brohoof 3

Well, personally I am not creative just as well, so instead I contribute to the fandom with a podcast me and my friend do, it doesn't require much and it's fun to do :P. You could try something similar, perhaps your own podcast or radio show, or some sort of blog where you share your thoughts, those are generally what non-artists do around the fandom :P

Edited by Brook
  • Brohoof 1

What I personally think is a great way to give back to the brony community, is taking the lessons from the show and applying it to your life.

Love and tolerate. Use the elements of harmony as a set of guidelines to act towards others.

This world we live in is a dark place that gets darker every day. Friendship is Magic has shown me that there is still some humanity left in the world. 

• Brohoof 1

I think in order to give back to this community you have to (in a sense) find your cutie mark. Find what you are good at and do that. For example; Me; I am not artistically inclined, I do not know how to make music (would love to learn but have no time), and I can't seem to write any decent fanfics. So i found something I like and I do that instead. It dosent matter that most bronies dont know that this side even exists. I find it fun when I do it and so I do. I dance. simple as that

• Brohoof 1

The best thing you can do is stay loyal. Stick with the show and the fandom, and never leave. :) You'll eventually figure out something you can contribute. Find something you want or love to do and practice, practice, practice. :D When I first joined the forums, I didn't contribute much, but I worked at it; I practiced. Now, I'm making banners, signatures, wallpapers and the like. You'll figure it out.  ;)

• Brohoof 1

Like everypony else has said, as long as you're a loyal and true friend on the forums just having a good time with other bronies, you're doing everything you need to.  Still, I get where you're coming from; I've been a member for almost a year now and it wasn't until recently that I finally figured, "Hey, why don't I write a fanfic and give that as a gift back to the community?"  Like Matrix Chicken said, sometimes it takes awhile to figure out just what you'd be best at, but I'm sure that given time, patience, and practice, you'll come up with something.  Until then (if it happens), all we'll ever ask of you is your friendship.  Enjoy your time on the forums!!!  :D

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 2

Sprocket from the "Real Men Watch My Little Pony" Facebook page made an entry about this a few days ago.

Ponyjoy. I think the most amazing thing about it is that it's not just a feeling, it's an energy source.

It
inspires us to spend countless hours making PMV's, writing music,
fanfiction, art, and every craft imaginable from wallets to cakes. It is
a feeling so powerful that it isn't enough to just watch ponies and
smile, it makes you want to spread those smiles around like Pinkie Pie
does.

I'm not going to attempt to speak for everypony, but for
me, when I see those smiles spreading around, when I see bronies raising
over $100,000 in a single year to help those in need, I feel like
Equestria is growing, making a difference not just in my internal life,
but in the whole wide world.

Isn't that what everyone wants?
Their inner life to be in harmony with that which goes on without? To
feel like what they are doing actually means something?

Now
obviously the brony community can't be all the meaning in your whole
life, but still, it's darn good to know that you're part of something
that is a force for good in the world.

However, there is a
problem: there are some bronies who look around at all this beauty going
on in the community, and feel left out. They lament because they think
they have nothing of value to contribute.

Not true.

Even
if you haven't found your special talent, or if that talent hasn't
manifested in a way that will garnish much attention, you're still here.

One
thing that everypony reading this has in common is that you all, at
some point, felt motivated to come online and participate in the brony
community in some way. You could have watched the show on your own and
not participated in fan activity, but you decided to come here and talk
about your love of ponies. To share it. To be social.

To make friends.

That's
a noble endeavor in and of itself - making friends. It was Twilight's
sacred mission, and it saved Equestria on more than one occasion. It's
why we are here.

So treat your ponyjoy like a tool - a weapon of
peace and smiles and cupcakes. Use it to make friends, to brighten your
life, and to brighten the lives of others. That's magic, and the great
thing about being a brony is that magic is the ultimate renewable energy
source.

-Sprocket

Pretty much sums up what I do at the moment. I'm a loyal member of the herd and I try to live by that creed. The one thing I guess I do well within the brony community itself is inspiration musings. People seem to respond really well to my blogs (got one coming up, BTW ;)), and I dream of being a bit of a community builder for Midwestern bronies, to help us get a con of our own since Midwestria seems to be struggling a bit.

I don't contribute much in the way of art and media, per se. I draw a bit (both traditionally and digitally) but not really enough to call myself an artist. I tried fanfic writing but I can't get into it. I just started learning the guitar and FL Studio. Mind you, my experience in all of these fields (art, writing, music) prior to MLP is basically...0%. Not to mention I'm a college student trying to balance a full schedule. I don't have the extra time and energy one must devote when one is just starting to learn a skill. I'm learning, yes, but slowly. So don't expect much productivity from me for several months years. :P

I do have one dream though, in which I contribute to the brony community via the one skill I have been developing (being a pilot) for a long time. There are two pilots who every few years fly a Mooney Ovation around the world to raise money to find a cure for ALS. I kind of want to do my own global flights in a MLP-themed plane to raise money for the various charities bronies contribute to and more. Many years off, but still, a pegasus can dream. :)

Edited by AtomicBassCannon
  • Brohoof 2

From the wonderful responses by you guys I heard that just keeping with the community is thanks enough. If only I could tell myself that :P

But another thing that all of you said was that I can just wait and find my talent or my cutie mark as SorenWolf put it nicely. 

So just like the cmc I'm going to start searching :P . I'll try anything and everything and always be here on the forums to support other bronies and keep myself on track.

I may even keep a blog of my searches as a number of you guys suggested making a blog.

And another thing, I showed my dear friend your responses to this post and she was amazed at how nice you guys are. You lot are the kind of people which make this fandom so great and the kind of people that I want to thank the most. I bucking love you guys :P

Well I guess you can make art. You can basically contribute to the community by just you know staying with the forum, and you don't have to do anything major at all. :)

• Brohoof 1

Well I guess you can make art. You can basically contribute to the community by just you know staying with the forum, and you don't have to do anything major at all. :)

I'll be sure to give art a shot to get rid of this pesky blank flank

and there is no shortage of inspiration for art when it comes to mlp............... i hope :P

You gave back to the brony community already by

• Signing up to a forum to share the joy
  • Becoming happier since you watched the show

You don't have to be the most creative at all, I know I am not but i'm trying to make a fan fiction.

• Brohoof 1

You gave back to the brony community already by

• Signing up to a forum to share the joy
  • Becoming happier since you watched the show

You don't have to be the most creative at all, I know I am not but i'm trying to make a fan fiction.

hehehe, thanks for continuing my joy by posting that :)

Can I ask why you want to make a fan fic? I would like to know if you are giving back by writing because then you probably understand my obsession of adding to the community :P

hehehe, thanks for continuing my joy by posting that :)

Can I ask why you want to make a fan fic? I would like to know if you are giving back by writing because then you probably understand my obsession of adding to the community :P

I chose to write a fan fiction because I was suddenly bored at school one day and started writing it in the library I will post the link to the preview [Chapter 1] If you want to make anything you can ask me for some ideas, might not be the best though :P

• Brohoof 2

I chose to write a fan fiction because I was suddenly bored at school one day and started writing it in the library I will post the link to the preview [Chapter 1] If you want to make anything you can ask me for some ideas, might not be the best though :P

Well I wanna find my cutie mark and I used to be really interested in reading and writing so I should give it a shot. I would be honoured if you could give me some tips please?

Well I wanna find my cutie mark and I used to be really interested in reading and writing so I should give it a shot. I would be honoured if you could give me some tips please?

I'm not the best writer (AT ALL) but i could give a few tips. i'll show you mine see if you pic up on any ideas from that, my cutie mark is like the same as rainbow dash because I Am Really fast at sprinting and i love racing :)

TDP[Preview]:  http://mlpforums.com/topic/47174-the-diamond-pony-preview/

• Brohoof 1

I really enjoyed your fan fic. Sure grammar problems here and there but when you get past that, it really flowed and I was hooked.

I take it that you have done a few sonic rainbooms on the track when you sprint :P

• Brohoof 1

We should both be moving up to the Cupcake rank soon ^-^ im 5 posts away from Becoming a tasty Cupcake (please dont eat me even though i will be tasty)

I really enjoyed your fan fic. Sure grammar problems here and there but when you get past that, it really flowed and I was hooked.

I take it that you have done a few sonic rainbooms on the track when you sprint :P

Yes i probably have done a few (probably why i win a few races by knocking over everyone the the Sonic rainboom) and thanks for rating on my fan fic. :P

• Brohoof 1

We should both be moving up to the Cupcake rank soon ^-^ im 5 posts away from Becoming a tasty Cupcake (please dont eat me even though i will be tasty)

Yes i probably have done a few (probably why i win a few races by knocking over everyone the the Sonic rainboom) and thanks for rating on my fan fic. :P

hehehe, I don't really care too much about the ranking :P . I actually thought I was still a blank flank but I guess all those topics I made makes it easy. 

And no worries about the fan fic, I'll do about anything to help out :)

• Brohoof 1

The only part of ranking i care about is that i am not active on many forums, This is the forum i have been active on most and i have probably gone past my highest post count :o

• Brohoof 1

This is the only forum I have ever been on :P

It took me a while to get used to sharing my thoughts but now I can tell people how I feel in real life. Not that I do it too much, I have only done it with one of my closest friends who is also my ex girlfriend.

Another way that the community has made me a better person. :D

• Brohoof 1

I mean like forums as in other forums games forums (this is the only pony forum im on) :P This community made me a better and more confident person aswell. :) Do you have any pony merch? (wristband, clothing,etc) i just bought a wristband and it is coming soon :)

------------------------------------------------------

I Became a Cupcake.. yum!!! :D

Edited by HBdash
  • Brohoof 1