NavelColt

35 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I really like this episode. Sure, there are some flaws to point out. Like it's unbelievable that Spike would even be allowed to take care of the pets when he's pretty obvious about only wanting the jewels. And when Spike and the pets are right under the mane six and they can't hear him talking. And the fact that jewels are apparently currency when that makesno sense. But, these flaws get overshadowed by how enjoyable the episode is. 

All of the torment Spike goes through is funny because it's a mess that he gets himself into. Karma trips are always fun when done well and this episode is no exception. It's great that the episode doesn't dwell on Spike being depressed about having to go through so much misery because sadness makes him sympathetic. It's much better to have him get angry and continue to ignore the problem. It keeps him from being so sympathetic that the misery isn't funny and it keeps him in the wrong. Also this episode has interaction between Spike and the CMC, which something I really wish the show went back to. At least this episode has it and it's fun. The CMC have proven to be really charming and fun to watch for almost all of their episodes, so having them here is nice and the pairing of Spike and the CMC helps to make the episode stand out. 

Score: 9/10

• The topic was pinned
  • 1 month later...

What I don't get is how the Mane 6 didn't discover Spike, the CMC and the pets on the train back when Applejack sat down. I mean all she had to do is look down to see them under the seat, and then look around to discover the CMC under the other seat. Or when Sweetie Belle almost blows their cover, Rarity should've been able to piece it all together herself (later on that is)

Also "one of the main" reasons Spike didn't go with the MANE 6 originally is because (IMO) they (along with Cadance) weren't sure if the Crystal Empire was going to get the games, because Cadance wanted to give Spike the honor of being the torch lighter/bearer for the games.

Edited by bwrosas

• 4 months later...
On 3/16/2014 at 10:18 AM, Rainblow H. Ash said:

Spike is a baby dragon and is pretty much still a kid. Why would she invite Spike to the Crystal Empire?

I mean, yes, the guy pretty much saved the entire Crystal Empire, with a bit of help from Cadance herself and Twilight in solving Sombra's tricks, but he is still a baby and there's no reason to invite him when it was really just a trip to help and convince the Equestria Game's Inspector that the Crystal Empire was the place to be.

It was a team effort. Spike stays behind and watches the pets, and the Mane Six go and take care of the Equestria Games.

Honestly, I'm surprised there's an argument over this at all. Not everypony can go, next you'll have people arguing over why the Cutie Mark Crusaders weren't invited or something.

Spike is actually kind of older than a kid than he appears there.
And the fact he clearly does stuff that "kids" wouldn't do such as doing all of those checklists, all that stuff Twilight needs.
And the fact often times he's left alone to watch over the library(a rather annoying reason overused on him being left out alot, being made to stay behind to watch over something).
You don't leave a "kid" alone to handle something like a library(or even alone to watch over a home) like that.

On 1/30/2013 at 9:32 PM, Harlequin said:

Pretty sure this happened a couple other times in the season, too.  Seems to me that for most episodes, production/initially "planned" order doesn't always translate into the actual airing order.

Then again, ya can hardly blame them - most of MLP is slice-of-life, after all.  As long as they don't start airing part 2's before part 1's, I'm good biggrin.png.

Also, just now realizing what happened with Peewee.

A non-speaking character, who received perhaps three seconds of screen time, in an episode a whole season ago, has returned to its natural environment.

Pull yourself together, Harlequin.  Don't...  Don't--

That actually aggravated me alot when it turns out Peewee got released off-screen like that.
Spike deserves to have his own pet(and one who is essentially similar to his origins, as in a egg hatches among a different species and such).
Before someone goes "phoenixes are not meant to be pets", Celestia goes "Is my Philomena a joke to you?"
They could easily say Peewee imprinted on Spike(due to being literally the first thing the little birb sees upon hatching) and/or the other phoenixes don't accept Peewee back in or something.  
In fact I think Spike getting experience with his own pet would have helped him out in this episode.
If Twilight forced Spike to let Peewee go due to believing he can't handle it, its pretty much hypocrisy to think he can handle 6.
If him insisting on he can handle Peewee got disregarded, then how come his insisting on handling 6 pets worked??

On 1/29/2013 at 4:28 AM, poniesforfun said:

Spike was hero of first episode and then there are two episodes dedicated to him on season 3. Is this a premonition of Spike becoming the star of the final episodes of season 3 as well?

If only that was the case.
But nope..

Heck, this same issue repeated in season 6, got 2 episodes or so on himself(and shined quite a bit in the premiere) but he got robbed HARD in To Where And Back Again. The season fell flat on its face in the end in regarding to Spike.

CMCs working on art with the Mane 6's pets:mlp_smile:  Filly Guides cameo.  Spike loses his family of jewels for his crazy day.  CMCs and the pets amazed by the Crystal Empire, with Spike in tow.  To top it all off, Spike not being in control of the mayhem:umad:  Funny seeing Winona under a hair dryer:dash:  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I liked the concept of Spike and the "sidekicks" getting up to some shenanigans. You can't really do much with the pets, so putting incapable Spike in charge of them was quite clever. :p

I found the gags quite funny. I did love the running joke of Spike having to give away his precious gems.

I do think they should've played up the immature babysitter thing over Spike being just greedy. We've already seen that before, so it's not as impactful.

I enjoyed this. Not perfect, but I can have a fun time with it. :)

• 1 month later...

Love this episode, it is really good and well done. The sidekicks are so funny and Angel's attitude is priceless. It's funny that Spike, the CMC and the pets went to the Crystal Empire and the Mane 6 never new about it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Spike's gets in over his head after saying yes to everyone for gems. Girls, you know Spike, who know he would've said yes to take over Equestria with Chrysalis for gems. He is not to be trusted. Antics ensues, because the Mane Six pets could probably take over the world just by themselves they're so chaotic. Spike does the sensible thing and go fetch.....the CMCs. Oh boy, that won't end well. Wait, Spike finally admits what he did wrong and the pets help him in the end. And he still gets to keep one jewel. Well good for the little guy.

This episode also goes in parallel with the next one, which I wish they did a couple of more time, it brings an interesting dynamic. Kind of like a soft Time Travel story.

6/10, very mid, but alright nontheless.