Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fluttershy Fan Club

Tomiix

1 hour ago, FlutterGuy999 said:

A little bit of Kirinshy.  I dunno bout you, but this looks an awful lot like My Little Pony: The Movie style animation.

FB_IMG_1582259062789.thumb.jpg.88ecc5ab503fad3c25d6a33eb5d74242.jpg

Doesn't matter weather Fluttershy is a pony, kirin, human, etc. She'll always be the most adorable character of all time. :0)

It does indeed look like MLP The Movie. I still wish Fluttershy (And Applejack) had more to do in the film and more lines, but it was still and enjoyable film and it gave us that amazing Fluttershy comforting the Storm Guard moment.

• Brohoof 1

What do you guys consider to be the best Fluttershy focused episodes? Here are some of my personal picks in no particular order.

Hurricane Fluttershy- Seeing Flutters break down after her first flying practice was really heartbreaking to see, but it was also incredibly satisfying to see her awesome Rocky like training montage and saving Cloudsdale.

Putting Your Hoof Down- A lot of fans dislike this episode, but it's the episode that really got me into the show (Along with Party Of One). I feel like Fluttershy's character arc needed her to mistake assertiveness for aggression and take it to far. Yeah she said some awful thinks to Pinkie Pie and Rarity, but we sometimes say bad things when we're really mad and Flutters had been bottling up negative emotions since childhood.

Flutter Brutter- We learn in this episode that despite her own issues with shyness and anxiety, Fluttershy was still more assertive than her parents. Interesting. Plus we get to me her brilliant but lazy brother Zepher Breeze. It really shows how much Flutters had grown. She's able to call out Breeze's behavior while still trying to help him out of love. And we get heard drop an Equestrian swear word (Peeved).

Scare Master- I actually consider this Nightmare Night episode better than Luna Eclipsed. Not only do we get the return of Flutterbat (Sort of at least), we have an excellent ending/moral where Fluttershy is no longer scared of Nightmare Night, but accepts that it's just not for her.

A Health Of Information- Fluttershy is so pure hearted that she deprived herself of sleep and meals and risked getting a deadly illness to save Zecora. A true hero.

10 hours ago, Spidey10 said:

Doesn't matter weather Fluttershy is a pony, kirin, human, etc. She'll always be the most adorable character of all time. :0)

It does indeed look like MLP The Movie. I still wish Fluttershy (And Applejack) had more to do in the film and more lines, but it was still and enjoyable film and it gave us that amazing Fluttershy comforting the Storm Guard moment.

I still love Fluttershy no matter what form she happens to take and I also wish she could've had a larger role in the movie, but at least it gave us this adorable moment:

You seem tense.  Do you wanna talk about it?

59 minutes ago, Spidey10 said:

What do you guys consider to be the best Fluttershy focused episodes? Here are some of my personal picks in no particular order.

Hurricane Fluttershy- Seeing Flutters break down after her first flying practice was really heartbreaking to see, but it was also incredibly satisfying to see her awesome Rocky like training montage and saving Cloudsdale.

Putting Your Hoof Down- A lot of fans dislike this episode, but it's the episode that really got me into the show (Along with Party Of One). I feel like Fluttershy's character arc needed her to mistake assertiveness for aggression and take it to far. Yeah she said some awful thinks to Pinkie Pie and Rarity, but we sometimes say bad things when we're really mad and Flutters had been bottling up negative emotions since childhood.

Flutter Brutter- We learn in this episode that despite her own issues with shyness and anxiety, Fluttershy was still more assertive than her parents. Interesting. Plus we get to me her brilliant but lazy brother Zepher Breeze. It really shows how much Flutters had grown. She's able to call out Breeze's behavior while still trying to help him out of love. And we get heard drop an Equestrian swear word (Peeved).

Scare Master- I actually consider this Nightmare Night episode better than Luna Eclipsed. Not only do we get the return of Flutterbat (Sort of at least), we have an excellent ending/moral where Fluttershy is no longer scared of Nightmare Night, but accepts that it's just not for her.

A Health Of Information- Fluttershy is so pure hearted that she deprived herself of sleep and meals and risked getting a deadly illness to save Zecora. A true hero.

One of the problems that I had with Putting Your Hoof Down was how just about every other pony were being big time jerks towards her, taking advantage of her being a doormat, not to mention Angel being straight up abusive towards her.  I was also really shocked at the point where she snapped at Pinkie Pie and Rarity, but at least then she actually showed remorse for what she'd done which is more than I can say of other characters.  I don't think PYHD is the worst episode out there, but I find it to be one of the weakest.

Another episode I'd like to mention is Fluttershy Leans In.  Seeing her being this passionate about building her own animal sanctuary and the lengths she was willing to go to ensure it was built to her standards as she envisioned was a lot of fun to witness and further showed how much she's grown since first starting out.

Additionally, I feel like Viva Las Pegasus was pretty enjoyable, mostly because we got to see Flutters as Impossibly Rich, but also because I feel like she's the main reason the friendship problem got resolved as she convinced Applejack to put aside the bad blood between her and the Flim Flam brothers and focus on the bigger picture at hoof with taking down Gladmane.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, FlutterGuy999 said:

I still love Fluttershy no matter what form she happens to take and I also wish she could've had a larger role in the movie, but at least it gave us this adorable moment:

You seem tense.  Do you wanna talk about it?

One of the problems that I had with Putting Your Hoof Down was how just about every other pony were being big time jerks towards her, taking advantage of her being a doormat, not to mention Angel being straight up abusive towards her.  I was also really shocked at the point where she snapped at Pinkie Pie and Rarity, but at least then she actually showed remorse for what she'd done which is more than I can say of other characters.  I don't think PYHD is the worst episode out there, but I find it to be one of the weakest.

Another episode I'd like to mention is Fluttershy Leans In.  Seeing her being this passionate about building her own animal sanctuary and the lengths she was willing to go to ensure it was built to her standards as she envisioned was a lot of fun to witness and further showed how much she's grown since first starting out.

Additionally, I feel like Viva Las Pegasus was pretty enjoyable, mostly because we got to see Flutters as Impossibly Rich, but also because I feel like she's the main reason the friendship problem got resolved as she convinced Applejack to put aside the bad blood between her and the Flim Flam brothers and focus on the bigger picture at hoof with taking down Gladmane.

Good picks. One of the best moments of Fluttershy Leans In IMO is when Flutters is telling the rest of the Mane Six her dream/plan and seeing how proud they look (I think you can even see Rainbow Dash tearing up a bit).

I will also agree that Putting Your Hoof Down showed Angel at his absolute worst. I actually used to really dislike him, but some of his other appearances redeemed him a bit for me.

26 minutes ago, Spidey10 said:

Good picks. One of the best moments of Fluttershy Leans In IMO is when Flutters is telling the rest of the Mane Six her dream/plan and seeing how proud they look (I think you can even see Rainbow Dash tearing up a bit).

I will also agree that Putting Your Hoof Down showed Angel at his absolute worst. I actually used to really dislike him, but some of his other appearances redeemed him a bit for me.

Another thing I'll say, going back to A Health Of Information, I remember gasping super hard when it was revealed that Fluttershy had also come down with Swamp Fever, even though I knew she'd be O.K. in the back of my mind.  If a show they say is supposed to be targeted towards little girls can get a grown man like me to gasp like that, it's clearly doing something right.

• Brohoof 1

48 minutes ago, Spidey10 said:

I don't actually think about it like that - our beautiful and talented mare has a complex, multifaceted personality, which has grown over time and over her association with the rest of the Elements.  Certainly some of the focus episodes are around that, but equally, moments from other non-focus episodes are as important.

Fluttershy has severe social anxiety, increased by the bullying she experienced as a young filly. While as an Element she should be (and is!) vastly overpowered, her flight abilities are pretty average for a pegasus pony, made worse by her lack of self confidence.

We have seen both sides of this before; in Dragonshy, her fear caused her wings to snap shut and her to literally fall from the sky (although more on that later) and in Hurricane Fluttershy, her very low initial wingpower score was mostly from her experiencing a panic attack and flashback, rather than a true indication of her strength (Hurricane Fluttershy is mid S2; way back in S1's pinkie keen we see her relocating frogs, and can sustain a fully laiden cart in level flight, plus carry a basket, saddlebags and an extra frog on her head...). After her training montage, she pushes 2.3 on the meter, and in actual flight, passes 3 wingpower.

Which brings us to the next part of her personality - her determination and inner strength. Pushing though her own limits, she finds enough wingpower to tip the team over the edge of the 800 wingpower needed to truely warp the laws of physics (which to be fair, was only going to be another two or three wingpower or so)

We see this elsewhere though; in Dragonshy she has no trouble flying onto the very nose of the big, scary dragon she is about to verbally abuse, in Stare Master no issues flying around the Everfree after dark in order to find the missing CMC.

Hurricane Fluttershy therefore isn't about her wingpower (which at 5.0 or so is still not even close to the 10.0 Dashie wanted from each and every pegasus pony), but about her overcoming her past, pushing though her feelings of inadaquacy, and receiving praise from the other pegasi for her contribution.

Her personal growth, and the support of her woodland friends, make this a great episode, and while seeing her upset and humiliated early in the episode is painful, seeing her succeed and be praised makes it worthwhile.

Ok, so quite a bit to unpack here.

So the core here of course is Fluttershy's lack of assertiveness. She is bullied by her evil rabbit, by shopkeepers, even by her gardener.  By the end of the episode she finds a happy balance; she can be firm without being mean, she can say "no" when needed instead of allowing herself to be bullied, and she can still be kind (which is of course the fluttershy we know and love)

However, we ALSO see Fluttershy's darker side; given expression, FlutterMeanie can be very mean indeed; she lashes out at her friends, is physically abusive to multiple other ponies, and while you can argue her frustration and the bottled up damage from her childhood is coming out here (and earlier in Best Night Ever) it is a side of her that seems not to mesh with her behaviour at other times. In her very first exercise of "stepping up" in Dragonshy, she switched rapidly from being assertive and dominant over the erring dragon, to being supportive and comforting once he broke down and cried in front of her.  She has always been shown otherwise (with one final exception) as being kind and supportive even when being firm with somepony; that final example is at the very end of the Fake it episode, which while first watching I found a bit of a trainwreck waiting to happen, on rewatching I can accept she just went too far with her "ponysonas" and only the final scene, where she is mean to one of Rarity's detractors, seems out of character.

Flutters' has grown and learned tough love is sometimes required; that was the key learning that earned her her chest key in S4, and of course we see again in Tanks for the Memories.  By the time of Flutter Brutter, we can see Fluttershy has learned NOT to be an enabler, but is still able to be supportive of those who need her help, supplying guidance and knowledge as well as love and aid.  It is possible she would have approached her rehabilitation of Discord differently had it happened later in the series, but her method was clealy effective, so...?

Fluttershy's portrayal in Luna Eclipsed was overplayed for laughs; she was clearly afraid of Nghtmare Moon and Twilight was abusive in her treatment of her, concentrating only on Princess Luna (and I don't feel that is justfied, as much as I love Luna; for that reason I consider LE a poor episode for Fluttershy and Twi alike)

Scare Master by contrast is a great episode; we get the return of Flutterbat (long a fan favourite) Fluttershy overcoming one of her fears (always good to see that) and of course seeing all the rest of the Mane cast scared white by the Evil Bunny's plan was great, but only because it was opt-in - Fluttershy doesn't enjoy being scared, so the final conclusion (that she is happier staying at home with her little friends) is just fine. Of course, it doesn't hurt that she and her little friends are amongst the scariest things IN ponyville, even without Discord taking a hand.

A great episode, yes. I find it interesting that Twi, Starlight, and Sunburst all struggle with old ponish, while Fluttershy LITERALLY TAUGHT HERSELF IT IN ONE NIGHT THEN RESEARCHED AN ANSWER WHILE THE BOOKPONE SLEPT.

Surprised the flash bees were so mean to her though; I get it that it was a narrarative necessity, but it still seems odd :)

• Brohoof 1

20 hours ago, Spidey10 said:

A sweet pegasus and her bunny.

large.png

Probably an unrelated topic, but when I was in my early teens over a decade and a half ago, I once had an adorable little girl gerbil who I named Angel, much like the bunny, but, unlike the bunny, my gerbil actually lived up to her namesake.  She was one of the sweetest gerbils I've ever owned.  I could even get her to fall asleep in my hand easily.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
48 minutes ago, Twilight Luna said:

“Come to me, my fans. That is...if you ummm..want to.”

6A44F7A1-1501-4FE6-AE67-4A99D3FF675C.thumb.png.c0f892923a1d799659c0bd64a2cd63d1.png

Oh, Flutters, there's no doubt in my mind that I want to soo bad.

P.S.  That also looks similar to a tattoo I'd like to get.

Edited by FlutterGuy999
  • Brohoof 2