Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv List of favorite Disney movies?

kirbyboi

What is your overall favorite Disney movie?  

28 users have voted

1. 1. Which had the best plot?

• The Little Mermaid
    • The Rescuers Down Under
    • Beauty and the Beast
    • Aladdin
    • The Lion King
    • Pocahontas
    • The Hunchback of Notre Dame
    • Hercules
    • Mulan
    • Tarzan
    • Peter Pan
    • Sleeping Beauty
    • Cinderella
    • Pinocchio
    • The Jungle Book
    • Toy Story
    • Toy Story 2
    • Toy Story 3
    • Finding Nemo
    • Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
    • Other (Please specify)
  2. 2. Which had the best main character(s)?

• The Little Mermaid
    • Bambi
    • Beauty and the Beast
    • Aladdin
    • The Lion King
    • Pocahontas
    • Hercules
    • Mulan
    • Tarzan
    • Peter Pan
    • Sleeping Beauty
    • Cinderella
    • Pinocchio
    • The Jungle Book
    • Toy Story
    • Toy Story 2
    • Toy Story 3
    • Finding Nemo
    • The Princess and the Frog
    • Tangled
    • Other (Please specify)
  3. 3. Which had the best side characters?

• The Little Mermaid
    • Bambi
    • Beauty and the Beast
    • Aladdin
    • The Lion King
    • Pocahontas
    • Hercules
    • Mulan
    • Tarzan
    • Sleeping Beauty
    • Peter Pan
    • Cinderella
    • Pinocchio
    • The Jungle Book
    • Toy Story
    • Toy Story 2
    • Toy Story 3
    • Finding Nemo
    • Tangled
    • Other (Please specify)
  4. 4. Which had the best antagonists?

• The Little Mermaid
    • Bambi
    • Beauty and the Beast
    • Aladdin
    • The Lion King
    • Pocahontas
    • Hercules
    • Mulan
    • Tarzan
    • Peter Pan
    • Sleeping Beauty
    • Cinderella
    • Pinocchio
    • Jungle Book
    • Toy Story
    • Toy Story 2
    • Toy Story 3
    • Find Nemo
    • Princess and the Frog
    • Tangled
    • Other (Please specify)
  5. 5. Which had the best soundtrack?

• The Little Mermaid
    • Bambi
    • Beauty and the Beast
    • Aladdin
    • The Lion King
    • Pocahontas
    • Hercules
    • Mulan
    • Tarzan
    • Peter Pan
    • Sleeping Beauty
    • Cinderella
    • Pinocchio
    • Jungle Book
    • Toy Story
    • Toy Story 2
    • Toy Story 3
    • Finding Nemo
    • Tangled
    • Other (Please specify)

Now, your favorite movie can range from animated to Pixar. Basically, what are your favorite Disney movies? I have loads of favorites, so here's a list of them:

-Lion King 

-Lion King Simba's Pride

-Mulan

-Tangled

-Aladdin

-Toy Story 1,2,3

-Wreck it Ralph 

I probably have more, but for now that's my list. :) So, what are your favorites?

Edited by Artemis
added prefix

Where do I begin? Disney is amazing, at least back in the day or whatever. Right now they really suck, aside from Phineas and Ferb.

I never stop watching the Lion King! It's basically the kids verison of Shakesphere, Hamlet, with animals. The second movie, Simba's Pride is also Shakeshpere, Romeo and Juilet. Disney was so awesome. I wish they still did stuff like that.

Soo basically all Disney movies.

1. Tie between Toy Story 3 and The Incredibles

2. Beauty and the Beast

3. Finding Nemo

4. Wall-E

5. Toy Story 2

I think one day I need to catch up on all the bigger Disney movies (Snow White, Bambi, Alice in Wonderland, Winnie the Pooh, all the other 90's animated ones, etc.), because I'm very behind in that regard.

Honestly I think Pixar is in a whole other category (and it really should be despite the parent ownership) than Disney (except for Brave which is basically A Disney movie). Whie i enjoy a lot of Disney movies there's a lot of filler too and over-simplification of plots and their princess movies are especially simple and borderline sexist in how the portray women.

I will say that Tangled is probably one of the best Disney movies in years and one of the most entertaining and touching ones that went for the same level that Pixar normally aims for. Alladin, Little Mermaid, Lion King, Tarzan, are all good but they really don't hold up that well compared to Pixar. The Disney music does hold up so I'll give those song-writers ample credit as those songs do hold up really well. The golden of Disney (Bambi, Snow White, Dumbo, Fantasia) does at least have a nice charm to them despite a big generational gap from when they were put out.

Where do I begin? Disney is amazing, at least back in the day or whatever. Right now they really suck, aside from Phineas and Ferb.

Phineas and Ferb i got shown recently and it is pretty spot on humor. Gravity Falls tho is awesome, I'm really surprised they green lighted that show but so glad they did.

Edited by Freewave

My top five favorite Disney movies in order...

1) Aladdin- This movie is my absolute favorite. I find it to be very underrated, though. This movie really captures the magic of Disney.

2) The Little Mermaid- I grew up on this movie. I love everything about it. I always wanted that cook to cook Sebastian, though. No pun intended.

3) Toy Story- How could this not be on the list. This franchise kept producing movies all throughout my childhood. The end of Toy Story 3 made me shed a tear, as I'm sure it did for every 90's kid.

4) The Lion King- Great movie. The scene where Mufasa dies, still makes a
tear form in my eye. What a beautiful and heartwarming movie.

5) Finding Nemo- I'd rate this movie a 6.5 out of 10. The animation is excellent, though. I'll give it that. While it's not one of Disney's best, it still deserves a spot on this list.

• Brohoof 1

Alice in Wonderland, and I mean the animated version not the live action film. I just don't enjoy Disney films as much as I did when growing up, but still got fond memories of that one.

Also Wreck-it-Ralph, that movie was great on so many levels.

My all time favorite is Beauty and the beast.  I think I've literally seen that close to twenty times now- albeit mostly when it first came out and then hit home video.  It's remarkable how subtle it is.  Took me a while to realize this, but the main character isn't Belle, it's the Beast.  I enjoyed it and loved it to death when it first came out, thought the music and animation was amazing, but how poetic and sad it was didn't really hit me until I saw it again a couple of years ago.  

The beast's story is a really tragic tale, as you see how he's basically resigned himself to being an animal at the beginning.  And I love the counterpoint of Gaston who, as the Beast regains more of his humanity, Gaston becomes more and more of a monster.  Great film, and certainly deserved its best Picture oscar nod. 

At the risk of being so-unhip-it-hurts, here's my list:

Pinnochio - possibly one of the most artistically beautiful animations the Disney studio ever did.

Fantasia - It flopped at the box office, but has since been recognized as a film very much ahead of its time.

Dumbo - It's one of my favorite Disney musicals.  It's fun to watch, and the songs stick to your brain like glue.

Sleeping Beauty - The production design for this  film was by the controversial Eyvind Earle  who, along with Mary Blair and the art-house rebels at United Productions of America (UPA), helped change the look and feel of animated cartoons for better and, debatably, for worse.

I'll post more as I think of them.  For now, here's one of my favorite pieces of Disney character animation.  Directed by Fred Moore.  Production designed by Mary Blair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzXIekb0WOI&feature=related

Edited by Ragland Tiger

Fantasia - It flopped at the box office, but has since been recognized as a film very much ahead of its time.

Sleeping Beauty - The production design for this  film was by the controversial Eyvind Earle  who, along with Mary Blair and the art-house rebels at United Productions of America (UPA), helped change the look and feel of animated cartoons for better and, debatably, for worse.

I was thinking of mentioning these two myself. Fantasia's a landmark movie as it's not really a movie as much as it's visual music. My favorite's still Night on Bald Mountain.

I love the design work on Sleeping Beauty. It's always sort of been in the shadow of Snow White and Cinderella, but it really stands on its own. Plus we at least have a prince that actually takes action and is fairly badass. Neither of the previous princes threw a sword into the heart of a giant dragon, after all.

• Brohoof 1

I don't watch Disney movies often, but I will post the ones that I like.

This list is not in any order.

Aladdin

Sleeping Beauty

Toy Story (All)

UP

The Incredibles (Needs a sequel)

Mulan

Ratatoullie

Tangled (Dat Horse)

Peter Pan (Mostly because of Captain Hook and Smee)

The Emperors New Groove

The Sword in the Stone

I'm probably forgetting something.

Whenever I'm asked this question, I only include the 52 Disney movies that are actually made in Walt Disney Animation Studios. I love Pixar (All Toy Story movies, WALL-E and Up have to be some of my favorite movies ever), but I don't really count them as "Disney" movies.

Fantasia- So many tend to forget this movie. I actually just recently watched it for the first time, and I was blown away. It's just gorgeous, and such an achievement for Disney and a technological advancement that influenced most of Disney's movies. 

Cinderella- This is one of the few Disney movies where I think I appreciate it more as an adult. It's visually stunning, and Cinderella is actually a better princess than most give her credit for. 

Lady and the Tramp- It's just really cute and charming, and one of my favorites from when I was little.

The Great Mouse Detective- Another movie I watched when I was older, I was surprised by how entertaining and witty it was and how great the acting was. Somewhat underrated. 

Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King- I'm just not going to give these ones separate sections. Why do I need to justify loving these movies so much if everyone else has already gushed so much about them?

Hunchback of Notre Dame- My favorite Disney movie ever. The BEST Disney music, a scary villain, awesome characters (except the Gargoyles), breathe-taking animation, a darker plot and theming... I can live with those Gargoyles being in the movie (they were indeed annoying) but everything else in this movie just blows other Disney movies out of the water.

Tarzan- It's a just really well-done take on the original story with some of Disney's best animation.

Lilo and Stitch- The Hawaiian culture, sister relationship, action and charm make this one of my favorites. Stitch is adorable.

Tangled- It's actually a really smart take of an over-told fairy tale, which I appreciate. Also, it's gorgeous and really emotional at times. 

Winnie the Pooh (2011)- Didn't know this existed? It was released at the same time as the last Harry Potter movie, so it was basically doomed to fail. This movie had to be the most nostalgic hour of my life. It's funny, smart, has great voice acting, amazing animation, and is horribly underrated (it also doesn't help that it was wedged between Tangled and Wreck it Ralph on Disney's lineup list.) Best animated movie of 2011 by far. Just take 69 minutes of your time and watch it. 

Wreck it Ralph- This movie was just awesome. I can't even describe why I like it so much. I was geeking out after saw it. 

Edited by Rarietty
  • Brohoof 1

I don't really like calling Pixar movies Disney movies, but whatever.  I'm a huge Disney and animation fan, so here we go.

1. The Fox and the Hound - severely underrated, I love this movie.  Parts are pandering, but other parts are really depressing and heartbreaking, and the movie changes so much that I'm always still thinking it over when I'm done.  I think this would be considered one of the great classics if it hadn't come out in the 80s, which is the most underrated time for Disney in general.

2. Ratatouille - absolutely brilliant, very clever, beautiful animation and wonderful perspective, the montage with the rat and Linguini cooking is genius, Linguini is my favorite Pixar character, and I love that the villin is a critic, since I used to love reading reviews

3. Snow White and the Seven Dwarves - I love how SW comes into the Dwarves home and improves their lives

4. Bolt - It's a great story, the fire scene made me cry

5. Finding Nemo - An instant classic

6. A Goofy Movie - very underrated, funny and tells its story well with good juxtaposition

7. Aladdin - always entertaining, great songs

8. Monsters Inc. - made me laugh hard when I was little, both cool and sweet parts

My favorite movie of all time is The Brave Little Toaster, which isn't a Disney movie really, but Disney kindof took it under its wing, so you can count it if you want.  I think that City of Light and Worthless from TBLT are better than any Disney songs.  I'm also a big fan of A Boy Named Charlie Brown, for how depressing it is and a perfect display of emo, and Miyazaki films.

Edited by Dr. Eggnog

It's been a really long time since I've watched most of them, but I'm pretty sure I liked all of them.

My favorite is the Lion King. I just loved the characters and music. Plus, I saw the Broadway musical and loved it.

My other favorites are Tarzan (Phil Collins is the man), Alladin, Hercules, all the Pixar Movies (except for Cars 2. Seriously, was that a joke?)

I also really liked Peter Pan and The Fox and the Hound when I was a kid (I've recently seen the Fox and the Hound again, and I cried )

Edited by BuckeyeBrony

• 1 month later...

Here's some of my personal faves (I've include a few live-action films as well):

• The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) - though it was originally released under Disney's Touchstone banner.
  • Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) - if it counts, since it was co-produced by Disney, though released by Touchstone.
  • The Fox and the Hound (1981)
  • The Happiest Millionaire (1967)
  • Mary Poppins (1964)
  • Lilo and Stitch (2002)
  • The Great Mouse Detective (1986)
  • Wreck-It Ralph (2012)
  • The Sword in the Stone (1963)
  • The Little Mermaid (1989)
  • Frankenweenie (2012)
  • Robin Hood (1973)
  • The North Avenue Irregulars (1979)

• 1 month later...

So, as a Disney movie fan, I've been very, very curious for awhile now as to what's everyone else's favorite Disney movies? I put every factor to a good movie (off the top of my head) into this poll, and included every Disney movie that I felt were the more popular of the bunch.

Please tell me if you want modifications to the poll.

Remember, this is all a matter of personal opinion. Do not get out-of-hand.

Also, remember that there may be those viewing who couldn't have seen some of these movies, and also, a warning to those of you reading this thread that haven't seen all these movies, there will be spoilers.

My opinion: My favorite movie is The Lion King, by far. I love nearly all the Disney movies, don't get me wrong...but this movie is truly a masterpiece. It connects with the viewer with the death of Mufasa, Scar's betrayal, etc.

The instrumental music also strengthens your bond with the characters in this movie. I cried when Mufasa died because of the music, I felt the suspense of the Wildebeest Stampede through the music, I cheered on Simba when fighting Scar, through the music. The sing-a-long, musical songs are on par with other Disney movies, in my opinion (besides "Circle of Life," that could possibly be my all-time favorite), but nonetheless, it all ties in a nice little bond with the plot.

Speaking of the plot, it was great, to put it simply. Not original, but great. It is the foundation of the movie and set up all of these emotional scenes. I, for one, thought it was genius to have Timon and Pumbaa introduced minutes after Mufasa's death. Unfortunately, that's all I can really say about the plot, besides that it made sense, as I am not an expert reviewer by any means.

I thought Scar was an amazing antagonist, but not a great villain. When I say this, I mean that Scar had a lot of bad things happen to him earlier on in his life that led to his evil nature. Always in the shadow of Mufasa, yet promised a spot on the throne, only to have it taken away. It's actually quite sympathetic, in my eyes. A good villain I would say would be Ursula from The Little Mermaid or Jafar from Aladdin. Granted, Ursula was previously banished, so there is some sympathy towards her, however I just didn't really feel bad for her when she died. Jafar, on the other hand was just plain evil to begin with, making him a great villain.

Edited by III Prong III
  • Brohoof 1

My personal favorite would have to be Tarzan. I love the story and it is pretty sad too. I may have shed a few tears in the opening scene. Also, I absolutely love the music in the movie. Phil Collins is a musical genius!

• Brohoof 2