Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP:FIM is too predictable

Champion RD92

Well, yes, sometimes. It doesn't really ruin the show for me though, so I don't care. Actually I think that most shows, not only Mlp, is pretty predictable. However, it doesn't bother me most of the time.

Edited by Shaky Novel

You're talking about a cartoon for Pete's sake, or course it's predictable. Since it develops a story plot all mainly from one episode.

And Family guy sucks, that's been my thought for ever, the beginning episodes were enjoyable until the newest episodes. All they do is stick in celebrities making jokes,shoving their stupid opinions into skits and dialogue, and making jokes any middle schooler could relate or make up. The show is a comedy, and only that. (even when it's rarely funny.) The jokes are sarcastic, easy to get, and a immature. I loved the first episodes were they only involve a plot, and not hop onto another plot in 5 minutes.

I know what you mean, I recently started watching Family Guy, and the older episodes do seem considerably better. But, I got the Season 1-11 package, so I'm stuck with the new ones as well.

Anyway, the predictability of this show is inevitable at times, because sometimes to show a moral, these things must happen. In May the Best Pet Win, although it was predictable that Tank would be the pet Rainbow Dash would choose, it still gave us a moral. In Sonic Rainboom, we didn't really see a moral at the end, but we felt glad for Rainbow Dash for completing her goal (subgoal, I should say) that she has worked very hard for, even if we saw it coming.

However, the only couple episodes that surprised me towards the end was Return of Harmony - Part 2, and Magic Duel.

Edited by ~Lawful New Moon~

Yeah it can be predictable but that's ok, as has been said the show is aimed at kids so we tend to pick up on it quicker.

I find though that its the stuff in between that gets me rather than ending. Take this last episode for example (spoilers below by the by);

The resolution of 'Peewee's' loose end, I honestly thought the writers had forgotten that

Spike giving away Rarity's gem first

The CMC getting involved at all

Screw loose and the Nurse in the background (that's some unexpected continuity)

While we expected Angel to be the trouble maker who saw them actually going to the Crystal Kingdom coming?

Edited by Fridge
  • Brohoof 1

I haven't noticed this much. It's safe to be fairly sure that most, if not all episodes will have a happy ending, and that light and love will always win. However, the episodes are so effective at telling their story, they can still have me on the edge of my seat. Especially in the opening and finale episodes, like A Canterlot Wedding and The Crystal Empire. It's pretty safe to say that the good guys will always win, but the episodes are so amazing I get swept up in the story, so suspense is still effectively created. It's like the play Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare. His audience knew that Julius Caesar was going to be assassinated, but he wrote the play in such a way that effective suspense was still created. 

Edited by SCS

Well of course it's gonna be predictable, it's a children's show not a masterpiece of literature. You gotta take it how it is and enjoy the narrative of the story, how everything develops during the course of the episode up to the climax of such. As they say, It's not the destination, but the journey...

I know what you mean xP I've been predicting quite a few episodes lately with some of my friends and we all had guesses to see who was right. The season finale is called 'Princess Coronation' and we're all guessing that Twilight's turning into a Princess/Alicorn and we're probably correct seeing all of the fan art.

Yes it is predictable.  But to say ti's predictable is kind of missing the point.  Predictability would be a problem for a more plot driven show, but Friendship is Magic has always been more about the characters.  In my opinion, some of the best moments are the smaller ones- some character interactions, a line or an expression here and there, etc.  So for me, paying attention to the flaws in the overall plot is overlooking what's most important.  IMO, in something as character driven as FiM, the plot and story is only significant as to the effect it has on the characters. 

Oh, and as far as unpredictable moments in the show, I'm shocked that no one has mentioned this one:  The reveal of Chrysalis and the changelings.  Even with as much attention paid to the whole "Royal Wedding" promotion last season, I'm pretty sure *no one* saw that one coming.

• Brohoof 2

Oh, and as far as unpredictable moments in the show, I'm shocked that no one has mentioned this one:  The reveal of Chrysalis and the changelings.  Even with as much attention paid to the whole "Royal Wedding" promotion last season, I'm pretty sure *no one* saw that one coming.

Trying not to brag,but I actually saw that one coming when I saw the green aura when she was eating AJ's pastries.Granted,I didn't actually know that the fake Cadence was a changling,but I definitely toyed with the idea and wasn't all that surprised when Chrysalis was revealed.

MLP is really goddamn predictable.It makes me worry sometimes when I see people not catch onto some plot things until the end,like the reveal of the Mare-Do-Well where everybody was like "ZOMG ITZ LUNA GUISE".

• Brohoof 1

There are episodes that come out as a surprise and those that don't. Like mentioned in over 5 posts it's a children's show and the writers aren't expected to make it any more complex than they should. The thing is even adult shows are pretty predictable nowadays. Watching an episode isn't to always be surprised but to just watch something lighthearted like throwing a ball back and forth isn't something new but it's just done for fun. Some episodes do reflect new personalities of the characters as well and could just glean on that.

Oh and I did predict there was something wrong with Cadence and I knew she was evil. But I actually thought she was from another kingdom using a marriage to distract the court as an insider to allow her army to invade Canterlot as there was tidbits about how Shining Armor was using his shield to keep a possible threat out. I didn't think she was someone else in disguise but her actual self and that she wasn't the Cadence Twilight used to know. But I guess that's even darker than what we got. :)

One thing I noticed is as a children's show they haven't had a trusting character that has been around for a while turn out to be a traitor or evil yet. That would be a serious plot twist.

Edited by poniesforfun
  • Brohoof 1

I must be a bucking idiot. During that whole finding a Pet episode I never knew it was going to be that tortoise at all. In fact a lot of these episodes surprise me. And it truly did surprise me again in Mare do well. I am one who is very, very, very, easy to surprise.

I think the only time it didn't surprise me was in Applejack's episode where she leaves Ponyville. Half way through the episode I'm telling myself that the reason she didn't come back is because she never won first place.

Edited by Scootaloo Is Best Filly
  • Brohoof 1