Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is your home like?

Chann3l Chas3r

I suddenly found myself wondering today, as I browsed Octavia's Hall in my under-construction home with a half-asleep mini-chicken in my lap, what kind of lives you guys lead.

Like, in my case, who would expect a 17-year-old farmgirl who lives on a homestead with 7 other family members (To be specific, my mom, gramma, granpaw, aunt, uncle, and their two girls,) clears out forest every other day, and drinks her morning tea dark and strong to be a fan of a show about multicolored talking ponies with tattoos on their butts?  (Not my family, that's for sure!  It's alright though, they don't really care--actually, my mom and grandma watch it with me sometimes!--and the two girls LOVE watching it with me.)

So, what are you guys like?  What are your daily lives like?  Are you a City Slicker, or a Farmgirl/boy like myself?  Are you American, Asian, Scandinavian, Indian, Latino?  Are you happy with your lives?  what do you want to do?

:blink: SO MANY QUESTIONS.

I'm sorry if all these questions seem a bit personal, but I've just got this inexplicable urge to find out the faces behind the screen names.

EDIT : Well, I suppose it's unfair of me to ask you all that without telling you about myself.  You all definitely don't have to say this much.  I just feel like talking today.

I'm Lexie (I don't mind divulging my nickname,) and as I said before, I'm a seventeen year old farmgirl in Tennessee.  I'm a junior in high school and I'm not totally sure what I want to do with my future, career-wise.  I already know my major goals in life. One: Make enough money that I can get a bus, renovate it with beds and cabinets and tables, and cruise the USA (I'm a wanderluster.  I want to be a nomad.)  Two: Write and illustrate and publish a graphic novel.  Three : Honestly, I'm not sure.  Other than my roots being stuck in the ground and not having a published piece, I'm pretty content with my life.  I'll become discontent eventually.  Until then, I'm good.

The chicken I mentioned earlier who was in my lap was Lady Gaga, my favorite chicken on the entire farm.  I guess this is rambling, but she's important to me and I want to take her with me on the road (although I will have some other chickens with me, too.  Chickens don't do well alone.  They get very sad without other girls to cluck to)  She's a very funny looking bird; firstly, she's a mini bantam, which means she's a very small chicken (The difference between a bantam and a mini bantam is that a bantam is just a miniature version of another species of chicken, while a mini bantam is a tiny species of chicken which has no larger counterparts.)  Second is her looks, for which we named her.  She is a very sleek, thin bird and her head looks kind of hawk-like.  Her plumage is grey blue with reddy-orange highlights, which are stains for the infamous Tennessee read clay.  Her neck feather are quite poofy, and the ones going down the front of her neck are VERY poofy.  She also has feathers growing down her legs and only stopping at her feet.  She's an odd one.  ^_^  She's also one of the sweetest birds on the farm.  I'll pick her up and she'll have a one-second panic before realizing it's me, and then she'll just cuddle up with me and I'll feed her some treats and pet her until she falls asleep or gives me a little peck, meaning she wants to go back out.  sometimes, when I'm on the porch, she'll just fly up to my lap and settle down.  I think she might've been a kitty in a previous life.

I gather the eggs on the farm.  It's the one solid duty I have; my other jobs are just 'help out wherever I can'. I gather them from the chicken coops where the chickens lay, under the coops where the ducks lay, and, if I'm feeling adventurous and/or have on long pants, in the brambles, where the guinea hens (really funny-looking, loud birds) like to hide theirs.  Tricky buggers.  guinea hen eggs are small and round, but BOY, OH BOY are they rich!  Totally worth a few nicks and scratches.

I also help milk the goats and and part-time goatherd.  We have six; two adult girls, thee young girls, one adult guy (who we only bought to get the big girls preggers.  More kids in the spring!  We're gonna give him away soon.  If you have billies around girls, the girls' milk starts to taste really musky and bad.)  Jorja, on of the young ones, is also the only brown one and is by far the most bull-headed, tricky, sassy goat we have.  One time, when I was in the pen, I bent over to pick up the food bowl.  the little crab-apple jumped on my back, and then jumped from my back, over the fence!  I had to chase her in the woods for twenty minutes.

Damn goat. :mellow:

The other goats names' are; Ollie (the head goat), P.I.T.A. (Pain in the Ass), Madonna (holy hell, she is LOUD,) and Lyra (there was another goat we bought with her that I named Bon-Bon, because they always stuck together and they reminded me of two certain background ponies.  She passed away recently.  Lyra was very sad.)

In case it isn't really obvious by now, this mare right here-->  :huh:  is one of my favorite ponies.

So, that's it for the rambling on my farm life.

If you looked at me, you'd probably think 'hippie'.  I wouldn't blame you; I sport green John Lennon glasses, poofy auburn hair, and usually a tank top or sweater (depending on the weather) and a skirt with moccasins or sandals.  I also have way too many rings, necklaces and bracelets 9I only wear one or tow at a time though, I just have a mondo-collection0.  I also have a lot of earring but I wear this one pair a lot; One earring is a pink triangle, and the other is a yellow star.  I dunno.  I just like them.

I draw a lot, but I also love clay and bottle and vase and mask and jewelry making.  Crafts is a love of mine I really want to embrace more.   

I really like reading.  ANYTHING.  I mean it.  I LOVE knowledge. :wacko:

I'll also watch almost anything.  I really like fantasy, historical fiction, and psychological thrillers.

I really don't know what else to add at this point.  oh well.  My break's over anyhow.  I gotta go finish painting my room!

Have a lovely day, everypony :D

Edited by Lagtim3

Hm... Now you've gotten me thinking... I was born in Thailand at my grandparents rice farm...

Then moved to Canada for city life in Vancouver... But then I moved to delta for a more quiet city life... Idk... I think I like the country side life the best... There's not much traffic and surrounded by equestrian land...

Let's see...

I live in the suburbs of Fishers, Indiana; like 30 minutes south of Indianapolis. I'm American, but I believe my ancestors were originally from Germany. I like my house, and where I live for the most part. I want to hopefully go to college so I can get a good job with a pretty good salary.

I was born on a farm and lived on one for eleven years. I hated that life. When I turned eleven however I moved the Toronto. I currently live in an apartment with my parents and I don't really do much. It pisses my dad off that I just sit around all day.
tumblr_m6n0anD1re1roil9p.gif

I love Toronto a considerable amount more than my old farm though. ;)

Edited by Lightning Fluttershy

Back living at home with my parents in a suburban condo in Cresskill, NJ  (and yes, I'm 30+) but I hope to be out on my own again for grad school next year.  It's pretty quiet, they give me my space and I give them theirs.

Korean-American, born and raised in the US.

Edited by hawkflame

I Live on the Eastern US. I was born in Japan and i came here when i was young. I suppose my daily life is full of laughter because everyone in my house cracks jokes every 3 seconds. I consider myself a city girl but i know my way round the farm too :huh:. I worked on one when i lived in Texas. There is always the smell of food cooking in my house. Everyone cooks. My family loves to eat we have discussions over dinner always. I am Mixed, i am Half Japanese Half African American. As for what i want to do I lost my job two years ago and ive just been living the lazy gamer life style since then. My mother has me thinking about my future and has stressed the need for me to learn a skill. I was in college to learn Criminal Justice but i had to drop out because i just dint have the money to keep going. I have been considering going into the Air Force because i am interested in learning what options they have for me. My parents were both in the military, why not continue the tradition.

I live in a small town of about 10,000 people, I suppose it's kind of stuck between rural and suburbs, there's nothing to do. We have a movie theatre but it's been closed for over twenty years. We mostly have liqour stores, we have some features of suburbs and some features of rural communities. Our roads are pretty poorly paved and bumpy, we're surrounded by woods and hills. (I live in the Pioneer Valley in Massachussets).

It has some small drug activity (especially Heroin). I think just before Christmas about thirty people were arrested in a drug bust. That's the worst problem with the town.

Generally friendly people, downtown is populated mostly by lower class families and the surrounding areas are middle-class. There are no upper-class buildings or anything.

This time of the year the weather get's pretty cold, and there's a lot of snow. I grew up here in Massachusetts and I've never been anywhere other than the Eastern Coast of the U.S.

We're pretty close to Boston but not close enough that we have Boston accents. Springfield is like an hour (Give or take) drive away from me.

Edited by Harmonic Revelations
  • Brohoof 1

I come from out in the country. Most of my friends up through high school were farmers (one in particular named all of his cows after family members so one day he came into school talking about how he ate grandpa. :P  I got him to name one after me as well), although I lived up in the hills/ mountain region of the area, so I was surrounded by forest. I explored the woods a lot as a kid, and I loved looking up at the stars at night. What's weird is, my state is mostly an urban area, surrounded mostly by other states that are mostly cities, so my hometown is really out of place.  :huh:

My college is in the city though, and I really miss the country. :( I love visiting home though. The country definitely has its down sides, but it is beautiful and I love nature. I also love the silence. I'm a fairly normal college student, except for the fact that I don't drink or go to a lot of parties. I guess I also spend too much time in my room. I wasn't happy with my life, but over the past month or so I've been working on improving it :)

Oh, and I'm an American that comes from a very Italian family. We fight like crazy, but we're all fairly close to each other, though I'm a bit of a loner. When I'm home, my extended family on my mother's side is present in my everyday life, while I only see my father's family on holidays. Oddly though, most of my family is blond and I'm a daywalker, which you wouldn't expect from Italian Americans  :huh:

Edited by MelancholicMemory

I've lived enough of both lifestyles to know that I'd like a small amount of land(4 or 5) acres outside the city. Say 40 minutes or so away. Most preferably outside of Denver Colorado.

But as for right now I live in a small house in a small town around an hour from a few decent sized towns, Würzburg and Nüremburg actually.

I'm an american born and raised.

White as hell. But with a tad of hispanic in me. (just enough to get a tan)

My ancestry is mostly the four drunkest and craziest european bloodlines Scandinavian, German, Irish/scottish and Russian.

Day to day for me is get up get ready for school ride the bus for an hour and a half to school come home play xbox go on the forums and then bed. 

All of my family is military. My great grandfather on my dads side was in world war 2. On my moms side my great grandpa was in world war 1.

Both of my grandfathers were in vietnam/korea My grandpa on my moms side died in a helicopter crash just after nam. He was a pilot. My dad is currently in the army and thats why I'm in germany.

I come from out in the country. Most of my friends up through high school were farmers (one in particular named all of his cows after family members so one day he came into school talking about how he ate grandpa. :P  I got him to name one after me as well), although I lived up in the hills/ mountain region of the area, so I was surrounded by forest. I explored the woods a lot as a kid, and I loved looking up at the stars at night. What's weird is, my state is mostly an urban area, surrounded mostly by other states that are mostly cities, so my hometown is really out of place.  :huh:

My college is in the city though, and I really miss the country. :( I love visiting home though. The country definitely has its down sides, but it is beautiful and I love nature. I also love the silence. I'm a fairly normal college student, except for the fact that I don't drink or go to a lot of parties. I guess I also spend too much time in my room. I wasn't happy with my life, but over the past month or so I've been working on improving it :)

Oh, and I'm an American that comes from a very Italian family. We fight like crazy, but we're all fairly close to each other, though I'm a bit of a loner. When I'm home, my extended family on my mother's side is present in my everyday life, while I only see my father's family on holidays. Oddly though, most of my family is blond and I'm a daywalker, which you wouldn't expect from Italian Americans  :huh:

I gotta remember that cow thing, I wonder if I can convince Rusty and Carol (our local cow farmers) to name the calves they get this spring after people in the neighborhood ^_^

Also, it sounds like you would like this quote:

"Dear Die-ary, there's nothing terribly wrong with feeling lost, so long

as that feeling precedes some plan on your part to actually do

something about it. Too often a person grows complacent with their

disillusionment, perpetually wearing their "discomfort" like a favorite

shirt. I can't say I'm very pleased with where my life is just now...

but I can't help but look forward to where it's going."

~ JtHM

I also sympathize with you.  While I do love my farm and family dearly, I really want to pull up roots and travel.

• Brohoof 2

I gotta remember that cow thing, I wonder if I can convince Rusty and Carol (our local cow farmers) to name the calves they get this spring after people in the neighborhood ^_^

Yeah, everyone loves that story. :lol: The people at my school are mostly city-slickers, so they get a laugh out of my stories from out in the country. It would be awesome if my cow won some sort of award at the local farm and horse show. I wonder if I could put that on my resume :huh:

Also, it sounds like you would like this quote:

"Dear Die-ary, there's nothing terribly wrong with feeling lost, so long

as that feeling precedes some plan on your part to actually do

something about it. Too often a person grows complacent with their

disillusionment, perpetually wearing their "discomfort" like a favorite

shirt. I can't say I'm very pleased with where my life is just now...

but I can't help but look forward to where it's going."

~ JtHM

I can definitely relate to that. I used to be one of those people who wore "their 'discomfort' like a favorite shirt," but now I'm doing something about it. Where is that quote from? (I'm bad with acronyms ^_^ )

I also sympathize with you.  While I do love my farm and family dearly, I really want to pull up roots and travel.

Yeah, I love so much about where I'm from, but it also isn't a good place for me for a lot of reasons. I've been thinking about moving to Colorado or the Northwest or something, where I'll still be able to live in the country and I'll still be up in the mountains, but things will be better for me socially and economically. Although, then I'll be away from my family :(

Edited by MelancholicMemory

Yeah, everyone loves that story. :lol: The people at my school are mostly city-slickers, so they get a laugh out of my stories from out in the country. It would be awesome if my cow won some sort of award at the local farm and horse show. I wonder if I could put that on my resume :huh:

I can definitely relate to that. I used to be one of those people who wore "their 'discomfort' like a favorite shirt," but now I'm doing something about it. Where is that quote from? (I'm bad with acronyms ^_^ )

Yeah, I love so much about where I'm from, but it also isn't a good place for me for a lot of reasons. I've been thinking about moving to Colorado or the Northwest or something, where I'll still be able to live in the country and I'll still be up in the mountains, but things will be better for me socially and economically. Although, then I'll be away from my family :(

The quote was from a black-and-white graphic novella series by Jhonen Vasquez called "Johnny the Homicidal Maniac".  It's 1/3 violence, 1/3 dark comedy, and 1/3 insight into human condition, with a sprinkle of making-fun-of-goth-culture-and-angst and a heaping spoonful of sarcasm and general funnystuffs.  There are a few spinoffs; Wobbly-headed Bob, a small comic series which is just twisted, slightly depressing black comedy; Squee!, about Jhonny's kid neighbor; I Feel Sick, about Johnny's girlfriend whom he tried to kill who is now suffering from the same 'curse' he had (It's hard to explain.); and Meanwhile, just a small series of bizzare humor comics that take place inJohnny's world but have virtually nothing to do with him or the series at all.  Jhonen was also responsible for Invader Zim.

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I find myself flipping thru it at least once a week.

The quote was from a black-and-white graphic novella series by Jhonen Vasquez called "Johnny the Homicidal Maniac".  It's 1/3 violence, 1/3 dark comedy, and 1/3 insight into human condition, with a sprinkle of making-fun-of-goth-culture-and-angst and a heaping spoonful of sarcasm and general funnystuffs.  There are a few spinoffs; Wobbly-headed Bob, a small comic series which is just twisted, slightly depressing black comedy; Squee!, about Jhonny's kid neighbor; I Feel Sick, about Johnny's girlfriend whom he tried to kill who is now suffering from the same 'curse' he had (It's hard to explain.); and Meanwhile, just a small series of bizzare humor comics that take place inJohnny's world but have virtually nothing to do with him or the series at all.  Jhonen was also responsible for Invader Zim.

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I find myself flipping thru it at least once a week.

Oh, yeah, I heard about JtHM before on tvtropes. From what you said, it sounds just like my cup of tea. I'll have to check it out soon. :)

i was grew up in a small village with not over 50 people living there, but it was really nice :3
lived near the water and loads of farms. but it almost never happened anything there, it was really boring and i couldn't get in to the city without a ride :/
so that sucked, but i still loved it.
then we moved cause the house got smoke damaged ;_; lost my everything except my PC (thank dear god for that)
so we moved to another village to take over the house that have been going thorough my family for century's.
its a small place. bigger then the first one ofc.
but this one is sooo much better, we got markets, festivals and ffs MEDIEVAL AND VIKING CELEBRATIONS ;W;

but yeah, small, polite, extremely christian .-. and loads of old people.
kinda saw that coming if the place is named ChurchVillage (sounds better in swedish :P )

I live in a spacious two-story home that my dad built, by himself, with his own two hands. Then he built our barn, by himself, with his own two hands. He dug out our beach volleyball pit, by himself, with a loaned backhoe. 

I live in a modest-sized farm town just outside of Salem, Oregon. I like to think that I'm the perfect blend of city slicker and country kid. My sister is off at college, and my parents work a lot. We're all American, but my ancestors came from all over Europe -- namely Germany.

I love my life. It's easy, laid-back, and I have all the time to do whatever I want. 

As to my future, I have no idea. I jump around between high school teacher/college professor (of any subject, I'm good at all of them), professional writer (like THAT will ever pan out), aeronautical engineer (even though I hate airplanes), and astronaut (I actually have a good shot at that. I can pass all of NASA's tests, and my ex-teacher worked with NASA).

Anyway, that's my life. Enjoy.

I live in a pretty big empty house now that my brothers left, with just my mom and my cat.  It's a town of about 10 thousand people in Normandie, France. I'm an hour away from the beach which is awesome during summer (the one on which the Americans landed during World War 2). It is a very rainy place though and I'll be happy to leave for Paris in a year and a half to pursue my studies. People around here don't really get the brony thing but I was lucky enough to have a (sort of) cousin who is one so that's all right.  :P

I live in a really crowded city with lots of cars and apartments. I live in a small flat and my life is pretty much like:

SCHOOL - HOME

It feels like a prison and very frustrating sometimes. Everything seems so pointless.

Not much hobbies and things I do at a typical day, just pc. It is as if I gave up living. I wish I could hang out with my best bud like I used to do but we are a bit far away. Soo getting depressed and sick of everything time to time.

I've been to places like farms but I'm not so used to live in places like that. I mean I can but I didn't have much time in those places.

I live in Illinois with my mom, stepdad, stepsister, and brother. Every other weekend, I spend the weekend at my dad's (like right now). Here, I'm with my dad, stepmom, brother, half-brother, and half-sister. Both half-siblings are adorable since brother is 3 and sister is 3 months. 

My dad has a big, spacious, two-story house in a not-too-pretty-not-too-ugly neighborhood. My mom has a one-floor, cozier (but more expensive) house in the most beautiful but most confusing to navigate neighborhood (we also have a gigantic backyard). 

I know what I want to be when I grow up; unfortunately, so does my mother, and we have very different opinions. I believe a job should be something I find fun; she believes a job should be something you like well enough, that earns you an acceptable amount of money. I want to open a bakery; she wants me to become an engineer, doctor, biologist, etc. Not to mention my grandma (who lives all the way in Poland) who actually thinks I want to be a biologist or a pharmacist. 

My stepsister is my age (well, half a year older - she turned 15 in October and I turn 15 in April), and she's nice most of the time, but kind of "keep-your-hands-off-my-stuff-this-is-mine-that-is-mine-too" (she also likes to give me opinions on how I lead my life: when I shower, how I shower, what I like to wear, what kind of wedding I want and that ruffly dresses do not work with beach weddings, etc.) sometimes; my brother is 10 and is the most annoying being on earth, 'nuff said; my half-brother is 3 and likes to be loud and obnoxious but I can't ever be mad at him because he's too cute; and my half-sister is adorable, but doesn't do much because she's 3 months old. 

So yeah, that's my family and my life in general. :3

Edited by Strawberry Tart
  • Brohoof 1

I live on the outskirts of one of the bigger cities in my state (note: that isn't saying much. They're relatively small cities). Still, it is actually a distinct town out here. We're far from being in the city, but also far from being out in the country. Also not what I'd call a "small town". The town has expanded quite a lot just in the couple of decades I have lived.

I actually prefer it that way. Of course, I hate my state; however, I'd always want to live in a similar town size. Although I suppose I could adjust to city life. I don't think I could ever adjust to country life. I'm actually scared of being out in the middle of nowhere. Where I currently live is a nice balance.

Our house... I live with my parents in the same house I have lived in my whole life. It's a smallish house (really depends on what one considers "small"), but it does its job, and we live in a safe neighborhood with plenty of restaurants and grocery stores nearby, so it's fine.

i live in new england, born and raised, in a small city, in an apartment, i live in a rut, but i like it

monday - thursday - wake up, school, home, friends house (they live across the street) dad goes to work, laptop, CoD, sleep

friday - wake up, school, home, friends house dad goes to work, friends come over, CoD, mario kart, brawl, they leave, laptop, more CoD, sleep

saturday - wake up, friends house or they come over here, dad goes to work, friends come over, CoD, mario kart, brawl, they leave, laptop, more CoD, sleep

sunday - wake up, friends house or they come over here, dad has the day off, laptop, CoD, sleep

OR if i go see my mom

saturday - wake up, go to moms house, laptop, sleep

sunday - wake up, laptop, back to dads house, laptop, CoD, sleep

Edited by STVB

I live in a fairly large house (2 stories, 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms) in a fairly spaced-out neighborhood (we have about an acre of land surrounding our actual house) in Flagstaff, Arizona.  I used to share it with a brother, a sister, and my parents, but my siblings have since gone to college and my mom has since divorced and moved into town, so it's just my dad and I now.

When I say my mom moved "into town," I mean it; we technically live outside the city limits.  This makes my commute to and from school every day rather inconvenient.  There's a convenience store about 5 minutes from my house, but going anywhere else takes upwards of 15.

My dad and I are both pretty introverted, so our lives are quiet most of the time.  I'm on my computer upstairs, and he's on his downstairs.  We'll go for a walk or watch a movie or something pretty much every day, though, and we always eat dinner together, so we're not completely separated.  And yes, I do see my mom often, but I never stay at her house.  I'll stop by after school for a couple hours about every other days during the week and for longer periods on weekends.

Currently I am a senior in college and am living in the dorms at my university. Pretty much all I do is wake up, eat, school, exercise, and watch Ponies (and I wouldn't have it any other way -_-). 

If you wanted to know a little bit about my family history, I am a second-generation Vietnamese American born and raised in California. My family lives in an apartment, and when I come home to visit, I am always happy and excited to be with them. My mom knows that I am a Brony, and even went out of her way to get me tons of brony merch for my birthday last year, Thanks Mom :wub:. My 2 younger brothers also watch the show with me, though I think their afraid to admit that they are bronies, because they think that all of them are obsessed with the show like I am. But it's alright, they respect my opinion and I respect theirs. 

(edited)

Oh, yeah, I heard about JtHM before on tvtropes. From what you said, it sounds just like my cup of tea. I'll have to check it out soon. :)

Yay!  Another Troper Brony!  i think you can buy or order JtHM at Barnes and Noble, or Ebay.  Wither one could work; I got my copy at a garage sale *unhelpful* 

Currently I am a senior in college and am living in the dorms at my university. Pretty much all I do is wake up, eat, school, exercise, and watch Ponies (and I wouldn't have it any other way -_-). 

If you wanted to know a little bit about my family history, I am a second-generation Vietnamese American born and raised in California. My family lives in an apartment, and when I come home to visit, I am always happy and excited to be with them. My mom knows that I am a Brony, and even went out of her way to get me tons of brony merch for my birthday last year, Thanks Mom :wub:. My 2 younger brothers also watch the show with me, though I think their afraid to admit that they are bronies, because they think that all of them are obsessed with the show like I am. But it's alright, they respect my opinion and I respect theirs. 

Aww, that's awesome!  My best friend got me a set of Rainbow Dash footie PJs for christmas, but that's the only merch I have :P  I'm glad that you're your (derp) family is accepting of it.  I find it so silly how people can get so freaked out over a tv show.

Edited by Lagtim3

Right now I am living at my university's dorms. They are quite nice because this is the first year after they got renovated. I just got a carpet and made the place more home-like for the second semester (as well as brought in some pony merch :D).

What is also nice is that it is basically smack-dab in the middle of campus, and right next to the quad, so every place I need to be is no more than a 7 minute walk from the dorms.