Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Were "Ponies" To You Before FiM?

Zero000

• 3 weeks later...

To me my little pony was an annoying commercial about girly toys, I didn't even know about there being a series about them.

One day one of my brothers made a joke, that I should write My little pony on my wishlist for my birthday, my other brothers laughed and I said "hay no!" (if he hadn't joked about that it would be so much easier to tell them I am a brony now :()

I later saw all the memes and I saw random videos with ponies in them and I just started taking them as this thing people on the internet were making fun of.

now I see them as the best cartoon I've seen and as the key to, probably, the best community I've been a part of! :lol:

• Brohoof 1

I loved MLP already when I was a kid, I enjoyed watching the reruns of the original series and MLP Tales and even had some of the toys. When G3 came along I had gotten some of the toys from McD's, but I never saw the cartoon. By the time G3.5 rolled around I had completely lost interest in MLP by then, but I found the designs of them terrifying. Just this very ugly chibi style, they didn't even look like ponies! Then G4 rolled around. Like G3.5, I had no interest, and I didn't like the art desgins either at first.

Now, I actually keep forgetting that FiM is part of the same line of toys that I grew up with. It feels like two totally unrealted shows and toylines.

Looking back and rewatching the G1 cartoons, theres still some charm to it and for an 80's cartoon its not half bad, maybe thats just the nostalgia talking. G3 on the other hand, I tried the cartoon out of curiousity recently....dear god. Even as a kid i'd hate it, and I *liked* filly girly stuff as a kid. Theres no subtance or conflict at all, everyone was way too nicey-nice and the constant "everybody wins" mentality would've pissed me off. At least G1 had some stubstance and interesting stories.

I realize that some people like the older generations, and I respect that....

However, before FiM I considered My Little Pony to be just about the stupidest thing that I had ever seen in my entire life.

I never watched a cartoon. The annoying ads that would come up every once in a while were bad enough. Besides, there is no way that I would have ever wanted to be in any way associated with something that was so disgusting.

Of course, now I'm a brony, and I have no problem recommending that everyone see FiM. I still have a very strong dislike of the earlier generations though.

All I knew about MLP was that there were girly little pony dolls in commercials about them lol :)

I haven't bothered watching the previous generations before.. :/ Maybe I should lol

Edited by LightningWing

I grew up with no sisters and no female family members around my age, so I didn't know much about My Little Pony nor cared. All I knew is that it was a show for little girls and creepy 40+ year-olds men.

...little did I know that years later I'd be watching it.

• Brohoof 3

Ponies before FIM were ponies. Equine animals that girls seem to appreciate. I didn't appreciate it because I could care less for equestrian topics or certain girly topics (clothes, hair, tea parties, etc.) so I found them irrelevant to my life.

All I knew is that it was a show for little girls and creepy 40+ year-olds men.

Eh, what?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my case, I actually did watch a couple of MLP and Care Bear episodes as a kid, and hated them (kill it with fire!). When the MLP:FiM craze came around, I was extremely puzzled. How can so many people like........that? And guys too? At the start of this year, I noticed the MLP-Skyrim videos in Youtube and thought they were pretty cool. I think this was probably why I even dared watch the show out of curiosity weeks later.

• Brohoof 2

Eh, what?

Since you need some clarification:

I'm simply referring to my state of mind at the time, not stating a fact. 40+ year old men may have enjoyed the previous generation and may or may not be creepy. I very well may have been wrong on that.

Edited by RagingTwilight

Oh god i remember when i hated ponies i was like "ponies are for girls you faggot" i remeber my sister having some of the older generation toys and i hated them now i watch mlp and record them on my DVR and most importantly buy the blind bags whenever i see them

Since you need some clarification:

I'm simply referring to my state of mind at the time, not stating a fact. 40+ year old men may have enjoyed the previous generation and may or may not be creepy. I very well may have been wrong on that.

No, I meant what made you think that 40+ year old men would watch that show? The previous generation, I mean.

Edited by Envoy

I haven't bothered watching the previous generations before.. :/ Maybe I should lol

Beware of G3, it will rot your brain into a puddle of pink sugary glittery goo, and the G3.5 New Born Mutants will not only do that, but explode too.

G1, milage may vary, but definately more enjoyable than G3. It gets surprsingly pretty dam dark at times for a little girl's show. :blink:

...Its quite interesting to see the evolution of MLP.

Edited by SailorCardKnight

Before FiM, ponies to me were just that...ponies. I had never had much experience with them because the only equine animals I had been in close contact with was my sister's horse. I had heard of My Little Pony but thought it was girly, brain melting garbage. I was shocked and a little disappointed in myself when I found myself interested in watching Friendship is Magic, but here I am, a brony and proud of it!

MLP Ponies - A brand of toy that I only first discovered in my teens, and didn't have much of an interest in. Without FiM, that probably wouldn't have ever changed. I think FiM's ponies are much cuter than the older generation's ponies.

RL Ponies - Small horses.

Before FiM, ponies were still My Little Pony to me. My sister used to have DVDs of the 1980 pony show, and I'd see her watching them. I remember one of the movies she had featured Kath Soucie* voicing a pony named (according to wikipedia) Princess Tiffany/Starburst. I watched the rest of the movie with her just to hear that voice come out of a pony.

I find this hilarious nowadays, because Kath Soucie's voice is a lot like Tara Strong's. I used to confuse the two's voices quite a bit when I first started paying attention to the voices in cartoons, until I learned to recognize the difference in pitch that was usually present.

*Voice of Sally Acorn in Sonic the Hedgehog (SatAM), Lola Bunny in the Space Jam , Phil. Lil, and Betty DeVille in Rugrats, and many more.

Edited by Legendary Emerald